Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Rules - General Event Discussion

Extreme Rules - General Event Discussion

After a monumental WrestleMania, any early predictions for the next PPV?

1. Bryan vs Orton in a rematch for the WWE WHC, where Bryan retains
    2. Cesaro vs Swagger in a No DQ Streetfight. Cesaro wins after a sick Neutralizer on Swagger through the Spanish Announce Table
    3. Usos defend against Rybaxle in a traditional tag title match, Usos get the victory to retain
    4. ADR vs Big E for the IC strap, Big E retains, but ADR looks strong (did I just say that?)
    5. Wyatt vs Cena in a chairs or NO DQ match, Wyatt gets his victory here, with a little help from the family.
    6. Shield vs HHH and Batista in a handicap match, b/c the Shield defended Bryan against the Authority and Evolution on tonight's RAW.
    7. AJ vs Tamina or Emma or both

CoachBrief
    You know what I'd like to see?

HHH, Batista, Orton, & Kane v. Daniel Bryan & The Shield. Stipulation doesn't matter.

StormDragonZ
    - United States Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Rob Van Dam (w/Paul Heyman)
    - Divas Championship: AJ Lee (c) vs. Nikki Bella vs. Brie Bella
    - Tag Team Championship: Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns vs. The Usos (c)
    - Submission Match: Jack Swagger vs. Antonio Cesaro
    - Extreme Rules Match: Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena
    - Steel Cage Match for the WWE World Championship: Daniel Bryan (c) vs. Randy Orton

- PreShow Match for the Intercontinental Championship: Big E. Langston (c) vs. Luke Harper

Other possible ideas:
    - Three Stages of Hell Match for the WWE Title: Bryan vs. Orton
    - Tag Titles: Luke Harper & Erick Rowan vs. The Usos
    - The Wyatt Family vs. John Cena, Antonio Cesaro & Big Show
    Last edited by StormDragonZ; 04-07-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Pen, what are your predictions? Potential card?

I don't like predictions too much. I try to not expect anything, and it helps me enjoy the stories we're given more often. I'm not perfect about it, but it's something I'm working on.

It's either going to be Bryan and The Shield vs. The Authority in a WarGames HIAC match, or Bryan vs. Kane for the WWE title and The Shield vs. Evolution that headlines Extreme Rules. Both options would be fantastic in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrief View Post
    You know what I'd like to see?

HHH, Batista, Orton, & Kane v. Daniel Bryan & The Shield. Stipulation doesn't matter.
    This. Too bad it won't happen since it would mean no title match. Sure, Bryan could wrestle twice, but who would challenge him?

Honestly have no idea what's gonna get booked. Guess we could get HHH vs. Bryan while Shield takes on Orton/Batista/Kane, but that would just feel like a cheap replacement for the match everyone really wants to see, Evolution vs. Shield. They could do that match, but then it would look like we'd be stuck with Kane vs. Bryan, which feels like about the 4th or 5th best option for a title match they could put on right now. A rehash of the main event would work, but I can't think of a singles match Trips would be in that doesn't involve the title. Still wanna see that Fatal 4 Way, but then what's the point of the Shield in this angle?

Cena vs. Bray in an I Quit match would be the most interesting use of that gimmick I can remember in a long, long time.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 04-08-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

CoachBrief
    Especially because Cena could be whacking Wyatt in the head with a steel chair ala RR98, and Bray would just be laughing and telling him to hit harder.

And you know what? I'd accept Kane v. Bryan if it means we get Shield v. Evolution. Put Kane and Bryan in a Last Man Standing Match to keep it interesting and just let Shield and Evolution do their thing in a normal six man match. That matchup needs no gimmicks.

Or even something as simple as saying the losing team is barred from ringside for the Title match. That way we get Bryan v. Kane with Shield patrolling the outside. Then let Bryan absolutely destroy Kane as the first member of The Authority gets his slice of humble pie.
    Last edited by CoachBrief; 04-08-2014 at 05:49 PM.

#BoycottRAW
    Why not Orton vs. Cena?

Then how will they do Rock/Cena?

#BoycottRAW
    They book that at WrestleMania 31, stupid.

Especially because Cena could be whacking Wyatt in the head with a steel chair ala RR98, and Bray would just be laughing and telling him to hit harder.
    I really, really like this idea. How does it end though? With Cena quitting rather than destroy his "legacy?" I'm into that. I really liked the story of their match at Mania, with Bray less concerned with winning than fucking with Cena.

I'd be surprised to see a Bryan/HHH rematch, I figured they'd hold off on that but it's looking rather likely. Although, with Reigns specifically spearing him it creates an excuse to keep him and Bryan apart, with Trips wanting his revenge. I would say though, that if it's Shield vs Evolution I reckon Evolution win it.

It really does create a problem for the title match though, Bryan/Kane reeks of filler and I really think he needs a strong contender to keep the momentum up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chop View Post
    I really, really like this idea. How does it end though? With Cena quitting rather than destroy his "legacy?" I'm into that. I really liked the story of their match at Mania, with Bray less concerned with winning than fucking with Cena.

I'd be surprised to see a Bryan/HHH rematch, I figured they'd hold off on that but it's looking rather likely. Although, with Reigns specifically spearing him it creates an excuse to keep him and Bryan apart, with Trips wanting his revenge. I would say though, that if it's Shield vs Evolution I reckon Evolution win it.

It really does create a problem for the title match though, Bryan/Kane reeks of filler and I really think he needs a strong contender to keep the momentum up.
    1. Cena quitting to keep his legacy would be an amazing twist in their feud.

2. Evolution should only beat the Shield if one member turns on the other two and joins as the newest member of Evolution. Ambrose anyone?

3. Lesnar. HHH "hires" Lesnar to take out Bryan and get the title away from him.

And you know what? I'd accept Kane v. Bryan if it means we get Shield v. Evolution. Put Kane and Bryan in a Last Man Standing Match to keep it interesting and just let Shield and Evolution do their thing in a normal six man match. That matchup needs no gimmicks.

Or even something as simple as saying the losing team is barred from ringside for the Title match. That way we get Bryan v. Kane with Shield patrolling the outside. Then let Bryan absolutely destroy Kane as the first member of The Authority gets his slice of humble pie.
    I love all of this. Great stuff, especially the Extreme Rules booking for the Authority stuff.

Booking a match to decide another that night just seems smarter, as it makes things double unpredictable (in theory).

I'm totally willing to let Evolution win against Shield, with or without someone turning on them.

As much as I think the Shield are fan-friggin'-tastic, it will mean more down the line if Evolution shows how strong they are as a force.

I'm not saying the Shield need to be squashed - just that, if Evolution loses at Extreme Rules, where do they go from there? The blade cuts both ways. If the Shield had lost their first outing, where would they be? How long did the Nexus last after the SummerSlam where Team WWE beat them?

Like Wyatts vs. The Shield, there is plenty of mileage in The Shield vs. Evolution and the heels getting the victory in Round 1 is just good storytelling to me.

Crodus Blay
    I've got my tickets all ready and after an eventful Wrestlemania and Raw, I couldn't be more excited. Hoping we see...

1) The Shield vs. Evolution (Tornado Tag Team Match)
    2) Daniel Bryan vs. Kane (Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship)
    3) Paige vs. Emma (Diva's Championship)
    4) Alexander Rusev vs. The Big Show (Bulgarian Strap Match)
    5) John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt (Extreme Rules Match)
    6) Jack Swagger vs. Cesaro (2 out of 3 Falls Match)
    7) The Usos vs. RybAxel (Tables Match; WWE Tag Team Championship)

Kick-off Match: Big E vs. Alberto del Rio (Intercontinental Championship)

King of Cuteville
    Right now I just wanna see Paige V AJ in a real bout.

Bharanidharan Kasinathan
    I really do think we will have Daniel Bryan take on Triple H in the main event at Extreme Rules. And I think we will see Orton, Batista, Kane against The Shield. I think Triple H might fancy some time off screen in the build up to Summerslam and this would be one way to do it. We might see Kane become an Authority figure and continue the feud and maybe include someone new to feud with Bryan.. Maybe Heyman Vs Bryan? That way we can have Cesaro get some title shots and then set up The Beast against The Beard at Summerslam? I would also love to see The Miz pair with Swagger and Zeb Colter and become the new Real Americans and go after The Usos. Get Evolution involved as well maybe and give them Flair as the manager? Getting the Shield and Bryan against a Heyman/Kane stable could be a great way to get the US title relevant again as well..

Wasn't the Batista/HHH/Shane Vs Legacy match a few years ago with the stipulation that whichever side won got the title. Could we see that again with Evolite Vs Shield/Bryan, with the shield not bothered by the title but rather the injustice and that would see the cracks would happen in Evo-lite due to them all wanting the title?

Crodus Blay
    So apparently Jack Swagger just won the Intercontinental Title at a live event... Cesaro gets the strap at ER?

EDIT: The match was thrown out and Big E retains... damn twitter and their jumping the gun on these things...

Perusing the internet the idea of a Bryan/Kane match at Extreme Rules is getting a mixed reaction...

On one hand, this is certainly not a "red hot" feud at this point and Kane is definitely not over enough to really even be considered a challenge for Bryan. Bryan deserves a better dance partner goes the argument.

On the other hand, Extreme Rules is really all about Evolution vs. Shield, which IS a big time match. With Lesnar seemingly back on hiatus, Orton, Triple H, and Batista tied up, Wyatt vs. Cena continuing, and Cesaro not quite ready for a shot at the belt, Bryan is left without a legit contender - but more importantly, for the first time in a long time, he is not being relied upon to carry the show like he did at WrestleMania. I mean, dude wrestled the TWO biggest matches of that show - Extreme Rules not needing him in the spotlight is actually a GOOD sign that the rest of the roster is over. I don't think anyone was saying that last fall or even at the Rumble, where fans were vocally displeased at Bryan not being in the main event. Furthermore, while Kane/Bryan has already been featured on TV multiple times this year, Bryan scoring a clean victory over the monster isn't going to hurt him. Is it going to cement his title reign? Of course not...but in terms of a "holding pattern" feud, this one makes plenty of storyline sense and these two do have some chemistry. Add a simple gimmick to this match and you have something that rounds out a card already somewhat stacked with a likely Shield/Evolution 6-man and a highly anticipated WrestleMania rematch between Bray Wyatt and John Cena.

Finally, this PPV is kind of the "first" of the Network Era. While WrestleMania 30 will always be remembered for being the first on the network, this is the first "PPV" where buyrate really doesn't matter. The WWE isn't in the position of having to truly "sell" this show - the subscribers who were there for WM30 have already bought this show. Hence the idea that this show doesn't need to be "fully loaded" like PPVs of the past. From where I'm sitting, it has potential to be a great show even if Daniel Bryan's first title defense is not going to be a "dream match." Down the line, though, count on Bryan getting some real challengers in Batista, Lesnar, and possibly Triple H or Roman Reigns. When that happens, look for Bryan to be right back in the main event spot and not "wasted" in the midcard.

Crodus Blay
    I'm thinking that Bryan/Kane is gonna have to be some over the top gimmick to really work... just because Kane kept talking about sending Daniel Bryan "to hell" last night, I'm predicting a 3 Stages of Hell Match for the WWE Championship to close out the show.

Kane vs. Bryan is not main eventing.

Bharanidharan Kasinathan
    Or to be more precise, there is no way Evolution is not main-eventing

CoachBrief
    So, is Creative going to get a pass for not putting Bryan in the Main Event of PPVs, when that's usually people's #1 complaint when talking about the CM Punk title reign?

Only if it's occurring on a regular basis. Punk was the undercard for 7 PPVs straight, Bryan is only possibly facing his first in that possible position.

CoachBrief
    But in his first PPV as champion. Especially after the role he took at Wrestlemania. It's a weak argument, I know, it just feels weird that the way WWE put over Daniel Bryan that he won't even be main eventing the very next PPV.

EDIT: Just saw your reponse on the Daniel Bryan Thread. No point in having the same debate in two different spots. So I'll stop here.
    Last edited by CoachBrief; 04-16-2014 at 11:54 AM.

But in his first PPV as champion. Especially after the role he took at Wrestlemania. It's a weak argument, I know, it just feels weird that the way WWE put over Daniel Bryan that he won't even be main eventing the very next PPV.

EDIT: Just saw your reponse on the Daniel Bryan Thread. No point in having the same debate in two different spots. So I'll stop here.
    It fits better here, as my points are about booking Extreme Rules overall, and other PPVs going forward.

Consider a couple of points:
    - Bryan vs Batista or Orton, or another Triple Threat still would not be main event material is the other match was HHH vs The Shield in any capacity. It would only be HHH vs Bryan that would truly deserve that top spot.
    - Even outside of Evolution and Kane, who is in a position to challenge for the WWE Title? I'm excluding Brock because he'll be saved for SummerSlam or the Rumble, if at all.
    - The top challengers need to be drawn out a bit. Right now, Orton is the most tired option as he's faced Bryan for the title all too often. Batista vs Bryan could work, but Batista needs to rebuild some credibility. And HHH vs Bryan would be a match best served to have as much build up as possible.
    - The Main event stealing Bryan's spot is still an effort to get over new talent.

Again, if Bryan is taking on Orton and/or Batista for the next 2-3 PPVs, while The Shield works with HHH and whatever cronies are available in the main event, or John Cena... it'll be bad.

See, no one really started complaining about Punk being under the main event until John Cena vs Big Show/John Laurinitus took place. Everyone understood Rock vs Cena was huge, as was Cena vs Brock. But then it got to the obscene point of Big Show and Johnny Ace taking that slot. That's when it became ridiculous.

Super Moderator
    I was a little wary on Monday, but it seems fine now.

I think it's more a case of not having a challenger for Bryan ready to go (Kane, the guy who was beat in two minutes at Mania, really!?) and wanting to push the Evolution vs Shield angle. If they had a top tier challenger waiting in the wings for Bryan, I'd be a little more upset with Shield vs Evolution taking top billing, but they really don't.

I'd rather see Evolution vs The Shield than another Bryan vs Orton match or Bryan vs Batista just yet. Save Bryan vs Batista for SummerSlam, imagine the drama with Bryan coming in strong and the assumption that they're just going to put the belt on the guy in the big Marvel movie.

As top heavy as the card is these days, they just seem to be one main event heel short. More importantly, though, Bryan needs a big, strong, clean win here and there aren't any top level heels than can afford it. I mean, having him beat any member or combination of Evolution 100% clean at Extreme Rules might just be overkill (and where does he go from there?), Bray's with Cena but even if he wasn't he can't really afford a clean loss to Bryan at this point.

As terrible a choice as Kane is, he's a guy whose got enough of a place in the hearts of the average fan that he'll always be credible enough and he's unimportant enough that he can take the loss and move on to something else.

There's no other heel with the combination of being prominent enough a character on TV but so readily able to give up a clean loss as Kane.

It's similar to when Kane was the monster to put over Benoit in 2004 while HBK vs HHH main evented Bad Blood in the Cell.

Super Moderator
    So, basically, Kane's been the monster that could afford the clean loss to the new Champion for 10+ years now.

King of Cuteville
    This is why we need Jericho sometimes.....I really don't have any interest in seeing Bryan V Kane again, and I don't care that Kane has the mask back either. The only way I see this as being interesting is if it becomes an inferno match or something outlandish. Otherwise it's just another match that's for Main Event.

Super Moderator
    Kane's finally going to live up to his promise and it's going to be an evisceration match.

I also like how that's the most PG "murder" word that they could come up with, so they've milked it.

With it being Extreme Rules, I have no doubt we'll get a decent gimmick added to this bout.

Jericho would be a good option, but he basically did the exact same thing 2 years ago. That's sort of lame, in that it's too soon.

CoachBrief
    I expect a Last Man Standing Match out of Bryan & Kane. Further drive home the point that Bryan will not figuratively AND literally be held down by The AuthorEvolution.

So would the draw for a Kane/Bryan title match be Kane reverting back to the Big Red Machine? Him taking back the mask on Raw got a bit more of a rise out of me than I would have expected. If they pushed it right, and saved him actually donning the red and black for the pay-pe......er...."special event" (man that's gonna take some getting used to), I think it could turn out to be quite the successful one-month angle.

Yes. it won't main event but We've seen Bryan whip Corp. Kane's ass all over the place. The premise is Kane with the mask is a different beast entirely. While that is true, like I've said elsewhere, The more times Kane puts on the mask, the less scary monster he becomes to me. He needs to really fuck up Bryan for me to care.

Bharanidharan Kasinathan
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    So would the draw for a Kane/Bryan title match be Kane reverting back to the Big Red Machine? Him taking back the mask on Raw got a bit more of a rise out of me than I would have expected. If they pushed it right, and saved him actually donning the red and black for the pay-pe......er...."special event" (man that's gonna take some getting used to), I think it could turn out to be quite the successful one-month angle.

Back here in India, we get the WWE PPVs on regular pay TV.. So they keep referring to all PPVs as the WWE Specials

Crodus Blay
    The closer this event gets, the more excited I am that I have tickets, because the build-up has just been great and is only getting better. (I'll be the dude dressed as Carlito, if you happen to see me at the IZOD Center)