Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You must pick one (entertainment edition)

Squared
    I'll let someone else go because my instinct was neither.

@lopprimetime

Seinfeld, for sure.

Best one season show

Firefly or Freaks and Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I'll let someone else go because my instinct was neither.
    I know it's not what the thread is for. But really? M*A*S*H? I just don't get it and don't think I ever will. And I think them having a laugh track on there for a "live audience" to laugh at the jokes cheapens the show overall.

Squared
    Well, if it had been made twenty years later, it wouldn't have had a laugh track. They didn't actually want one, but it was forced on them because at the time the people in control said 'that's how sitcoms work'. But honestly, I don't think it's anywhere near as big a deal as some other people do now. It's becoming a fixation for some, where it just doesn't really bother me. And when you have writing like that and a show pushing the boundaries of what you could do in TV, it's 100% focusing on the trivial over what was great about it. It's a whip smart show, and I maintain if people don't get that, well that is just on them. And a lot of the same comments apply to Seinfeld, funnily enough. Maybe you're into safer comedy, more in the middle of the road, is all I can guess. But the sitcom is a genre I have a huge amount of affection for so I like stuff across the board, including where people try and do some clever things with it.

As for the choice - love me some Firefly.

I don't watch either but am curious: True Blood or Being Human?

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Well, if it had been made twenty years later, it wouldn't have had a laugh track. They didn't actually want one, but it was forced on them because at the time the people in control said 'that's how sitcoms work'. But honestly, I don't think it's anywhere near as big a deal as some other people do now. It's becoming a fixation for some, where it just doesn't really bother me. And when you have writing like that and a show pushing the boundaries of what you could do in TV, it's 100% focusing on the trivial over what was great about it. It's a whip smart show, and I maintain if people don't get that, well that is just on them. And a lot of the same comments apply to Seinfeld, funnily enough. Maybe you're into safer comedy, more in the middle of the road, is all I can guess. But the sitcom is a genre I have a huge amount of affection for so I like stuff across the board, including where people try and do some clever things with it.

As for the choice - love me some Firefly.

I don't watch either but am curious: True Blood or Being Human?
    I've literally never laughed at the show and I would have seen numerous episodes of it. Just never found it funny. Perhaps it was cause I saw them when I was younger. But my tastes haven't changed much. So not sure what that says about my comedy tastes as you say. Love Friends. Love Seinfeld. Shows like Monk I love. Even Big Bang I'll laugh at. But never M*A*S*H.

As I've only seen True Blood I have to go for that. I've never even heard of the second matter of factly.

Angel or Buffy?

Got to go with Buffy. Angel had some creative stories but can't beat the original.

Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune

Jeopardy.

Volcano or Dante's Peak

Dante's Peak.

WAGS or Real Housewives (Worst Show. Or Best. Your call)

Squared
    I have no idea about either. But I hate the term wags, so all other things being equal that one would be worse.

OK, say for a second The English Patient doesn't exist. It's the Oscars in March '97 and you are on the committee to make the final decision. Which of the nominated films do you choose?

Secrets and Lies, Jerry Maguire, Fargo or Shine?

@lopprimetime

As I've only seen Jerry Maguire out of all those films that's what I'd have to go with.

Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List. (Most overrated film?)

Most overrated? Schindler's List from the two you provided. Shawshank is one of the all time best movies and in no way is it overrated.

Scott Pilgrim or Deadpool, they are very different, but both are able to be watched in full over and over again.

Deadpool is more re-watchable, but I agree, both fantastic films.

Who dies in the next Star Wars film: Rey, Kylo, Poe or Finn

Neither. Seriously. Not coping out.

Which will do better financially: Black panther or Han Solo?

Solo, not many comic book movies are in Star Wars league at the box office

Which will be the better film: the new Avengers or Star Wars Ix?

Samuel Plan
    Star Wars Episode IX. While I'm curious as to how they'll manage the tremendous balancing act they need to manage with the new Avengers film, I simply can't see it stacking up as a film in its own right. Really, the Marvel movies have been a big budget TV show for the better part of the decade anyways. Episode IX, though, with its smaller cast of characters, stands a stronger chance of bringing an emotionally satisfying pay-off with a beginning, middle and end its own.

Which do you prefer: King Kong (1933, Cooper / Schoedsack), King Kong (2005, Jackson) or Kong: Skull Island (2017, Vogt-Roberts)?
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    Anyone actually like King Kong and want to take a shot at this?!

@lopprimetime

Well this one is a toughie. The 2005 piece of crap is immediately voided, because it was 3+ hours of "just get to Kong already" and was more self indulgent Peter Jackson crap.

AND now we have to compare the 1933 classic that was groundbreaking at the time and was a really, really, good movie considering it was made in 1933. It was excellent, but it is also very dated. But you have to take that into consideration when you watch it. The movie is 85 years old and is still watchable.

The we have to look at Kong skull island, and it was the perfect new monster movie. You did not have to wait to see Kong, as he was in the first 2-3 minutes. Then the story kicks in with references to Godzilla, and introduces a great cast with good characters along the way. When they finally get to the island, we get an immediate true introduction of Kong with the Kong vs Helicopters scene and the money shot of Kong standing against the red sky. The movie continues with Sam L Jackson creating an enemy with Kong because he doesn't want his own personal war to end, and the real conflict of the Skull Crawlers. All in all is sets a tough standard to beat for the modern day "classic" monster movie. It had action, humor, monsters, and big name casting. Godzilla 2, will have a lot to live up to, but I think it can be done.

Cast Away or Gravity (I maintain that they are the exact same movie) but you decide.
    Last edited by Powder; 02-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Castaway and Gravity are the same movie? I'd love to hear your reasons for such a claim!

Castaway was a well told story that was an interesting look into the mind of a stranded man over a long period of time.

Gravity, for me, was just a stress to watch. Seeing her clawing at nothing to tey and bring her momentum back towards Earth/ her ship or whatever had me holding my breath. I was shattered after watching it.

For pure entertainment purposes I would say Gravity, but to be fair I haven't seen Castaway in donkies.

Ok, scary ones now, specially the handheld camera ones - Blair Witch Project (original), or Paranormal Activity?

Cast Away and Gravity were exactly the same except that one was set in space. Both main characters were stranded in their respective places. Both needed to figure a way out of their predicament. Both needed to keep sane so they created a friend to speak to. Hanks reated Wilson and Sandra created George Clooney. Both characters had their imanigary friends float off into the abyss after a tragic event. Both give up and are ready to die and then both get saved at the end.

Exactly the same movie.

Blair Witch Project.

Freddy Kruger or Jason Vorhees?

For franchise I would take the ridiculous and senseless killing of Friday the 13th any day of the week. Nightmare gets a little too caught up in its own mythology and acclaim.

But if we talk solely about villain it is easily Kruger. Such an inventive take, especially for the time, on the serial slasher. Instead of just standing and looking menacing the guy was spitting one liners left and right. Plus he kills you when you're asleep. Terrifying.

Big Brother or Survivor?

Big Brother. Both are extremely repetitive and have the same thing over and over again. The dynamic of BB can get changed almost daily with the Veto and backdoor aspects of the game. Survivor is always geared to the young athletic types in the beginning, then they get picked off to be left with the older, wiser constants.

Better Stallone movie

Rocky or First Blood

I love the popcorn flick type nature of First Blood and I do believe it is an underrated classic. However, Rocky is one of the greatest ever. A story that still resonates with young and old. Can't vote against it.

Top Chef or Masterchef