Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comics

Comics

Does anyone have a Chronological order for The Infinty Crisis or Secret Invasion

Thoughts on the Superior Spider-man run, CoLD?

I just recently caught up and loved it for the most part. I knew Peter would be back but it was cool to see a villain take the role as hero, improve some things but ultimately realize that he was bad at being a true hero and giving it up.

Plus, Amazing Spider-man #1 is going to be the highest selling comic in a decade so Slott did something right.

Was catching up on it today. I fucking love it and normally I hate Spiderman. Well I guess Peter would be more accurate. Doc Oc as Peter Parker and Spiderman has been one of the better things MARVEL has done in a while and I shit all over the premise from the jump. Once I started reading though? Blown away.

Doc basically making Peter and better person while still being kind of a dick has been amazing. He got Peter Parker a Doctorate, Started his own company, Created his own Army and managed to get rid of Mary Jane. [Mary Jane is kind of my only issue with this book as she just comes across like one of these famous starlets who think they are entitled to everything. She only drops the dumb party girl act it seem when speaking to "Peter"]

Still got a few more issues to go. Finished the stuff with Venom earlier so it isnt much.

Gotta agree about Mary Jane. She was just there . I'm getting back into comics after awhile and that Superior arc had my attention over most of the other big two titles. Although I hear good things about Zero year Batman.

You should check out the recent Spider-man OGN written by Mark Waid called Family business. I'm a big Spidey fan and yeah its real Peter but it's really good. The art is fucking phenomenal.

This site could help as well...

http://www.crisis2crisis.com/

I've caught up on the Walking Dead and I loved the ending to the latest issue. The exact opposite of what I thought was going to happen. I never read comics growing up but I like this one a lot because of the show getting me interested.

I haven't read anything consistently other than the first 20 issues or so of Young Avengers since the end of AvX. Any suggestions as to what I should start reading now, preferably on the Marvel side of things?

^Superior Spider-man.

I just finished Invincible 110.. Very controversial issue.. it's also too bad that Eve has turned into a massive bitch.

Savior4Hire
    If feel like Saga is the best thing going in comics right now. Brian K. Vaughn is putting together a fantastic series that's still fairly early into its run. All issues are currently out in trade, and the series is set to pick back up in May. Speaking of BKV, his Marvel series Runaways, while old, is fantastic.

Also, if anyone is into D&D, I highly recommend Rat Queens. It does a great job at lovingly poking fun at all the genre's tropes.

Savior4Hire
    I hate to follow up one post with another, but I just finished the final issue of Superior Spiderman. I have to say that this is probably my favorite Spidey arc of all time. They took something that could have been a six to ten issue story, and stretched it out for over thirty issues without losing anything.

I've been reading a lot of NEW 52 stuff since that got my into reading comics. I also have Old Man Logan, Age of Ultron and Civil War on the MARVEL side to read.

The NEW 52 stuff I've read, I've been impressed with, especially the Court of Owls on the Batman side.

Court of Owls was really good. Red Lanterns, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Green Arrow and Justice League Dark are all really good as well.

Im almost finished with X-Men Battle of the Atom,, as much as I love the X-Men it has too many time travel gimmicks.

Next will be the New 52 Green Lantern Corps, Volume 1, if I like that ill buy in on the other volumes if no I may start getting Transformer comics.

Blade23
    How many issues are there of the Superior Spider-Man series?

I've lost touch with comics for a while and I'm interested in purchasing this series to check out.

I really like the changes with Wolverine and i love the Original X-men. Also the Magneto LS has been great.

Superior Spiderman starts with he Amazing Spiderman 698 and ends with Superior Spiderman 32.

Blade23
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Superior Spiderman starts with he Amazing Spiderman 698 and ends with Superior Spiderman 32.
    I have the end of the Amazing Spider-Man series (haven't read them though). Shopping around on ebay to buy the Superior Spider-Man series now.

Savior4Hire
    Has anyone been reading TMNT? I just picked up the first two trades and I've been impressed so far.

Smiffy405
    I love watching all of the Marvel and DC films and the other day I decided that I would look at the comics about some of my favourites characters like Batman and Avengers but I didn't realise how many there was. As there was so many I didn't know where to start so I was wondering if there are any comics you would consider must read that involve Batman or anything in the Marvel universe?

Also I am a big fan of the Walking Dead TV series and my cousin gave me the first 2 comics to read so would you recommend reading them?

Batman is 75 years old and Marvel is 100. This is probably a bit overwhelming. Id say Start with Graphic novels. for the Batman stuff Id recommend Batman: Earth One and Batman and Son, For Marvel there are so many but top 5? id recommend The Ultimates: Volume One, the Daredevil Omnibus by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev, X-Men - God Loves, Man Kills or X-men First Class Volume 1 and maybe something with Spiderman like Spiderman - New Ways To Die .

Its so hard because there is so many great comics like Kevin Smith (Silent Bob from the clerks movies) had that fantastic run on Daredevil (So did Ed Brubaker). JMS had an epic run on Thor. The Inhumans by Jenkins was great. Spider-Man: Blue is my favorite Spidey solo Graphic Novel. he New Avengers: Breakout is a marvel all star team. Mark Millar's Ultimate X-men Run is a great take on the team (at least the first 2 graphic novels were), so was The first Bendis run on Ultimate Spider-Man. I loved Marvels (the Busiek/Ross mini) and Punisher: Welcome Back Frank. Finally I feel that Kieron Gillen's Kid Loki/Journey Into Mystery run is one of the greatest thing ive read (book or comic) in a long time. I also loved the entire Immortal Iron Fist run.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 09-05-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Sara, Sara, Sara...you definitely know your wrestling, but not your Batman...

The Batman must reads are (in no particular order):
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Dark Knight Strikes Again
    The Killing Joke
    Batman: Year One
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
    The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    The series: Vengeance of Bane, then Sword of Azrael, the the Knightfall Trilogy
    No Man's Land series

And you really can't jump into Batman and Son.

you can look on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Batman_comics and jump to the Modern Batman part which then goes to the New 52 and that will give you the entire Modern Batman continuity from about 1986 to present.
    and you could look here: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...atman-stories/ this link shows the 75 best Batman stories as voted on by comic dorks, like us.

I sort of jumped into Batman and son, it wasnt too bad (im not really a DC girl (outside of Constantine)) but I think you need to start with a Batman Year 1 or Earth 1 (and i liked Earth1) I tried to avoid the real old stuff (the art isnt very good) and while i read most of those books that isnt where id start someone. I mean id certainly not recommend the Dark Knight Stuff be the first batman comics people read. I picked stuff for its approachability as in where to start and ease of read to show off the main themes. I love Hush but i wouldnt tell someone just getting in to read it.

Earth 1 is a really good read, but you need to really read other Batman stories for a while before Earth 1. I literally just re-read it (like 2 days ago) and the "problem", for lack of a better word is that it completely changes the origin of Bruce Wayne/Gotham/Batman. So it should be read, but not until the rest of his history is already known.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Earth 1 is a really good read, but you need to really read other Batman stories for a while before Earth 1. I literally just re-read it (like 2 days ago) and the "problem", for lack of a better word is that it completely changes the origin of Bruce Wayne/Gotham/Batman. So it should be read, but not until the rest of his history is already known.
    I completely disagree, I think its a cleaner look than Year 1 and while it isnt strictly cannon, I think its a great place to start with a fresh slate. Its the same reason i posted Ultimates before any other avengers story.

but for someone who wants to read Batman stories who is looking to "learn" about the characters in DC, especially Batman, you can't begin with Earth 1. That is taking Batman's origin and completely changing it. The story is good, the art is good, and the idea is awesome, but not for a newbie.

Earth 1 is for the readers/fans that have been around for a while. Like the old Elseworlds titles. Imagine giving someone Gotham By Gaslight and saying, "here you go, this is the Batman". you can't. Or giving someone Superman: Red Son before knowing about Superman. It kind of destroys the Batman mythos. Earth 1 is a good story to be read AFTER you already are in the know so you can appreciate another origin idea.

Smiffy405
    Thanks for the help guys. After looking at the comics that you guys have recommended and the research I have done on the Internet these are the comics that I will start with. Once I have got these I will start with the Marvel stuff.

Batman: Year One
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: Dark Victory
    Batman: The Killing Joke
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: A Death in the Family
    Batman: Knightfall
    Batman No Man Lands
    Batman: Hush
    Batman Under The Red Hood
    Batman and Son
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Just be careful to read them in the correct order.

The order for your list is:

Year One
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    Killing Joke
    Death in the Family
    Knightfall Trilogy
    No Man's Land - But if you are going to read this big series then you MUST read Contagion, Legacy (if you can find this rare book), then Cataclysm. All three of these are the prequels for NML.
    Then read the War Games Saga
    Hush - kind of here
    Under the Red Hood is mixed in with the War Games saga
    Batman and Son
    DKR & DKSA
    Earth 1

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    but for someone who wants to read Batman stories who is looking to "learn" about the characters in DC, especially Batman, you can't begin with Earth 1. That is taking Batman's origin and completely changing it. The story is good, the art is good, and the idea is awesome, but not for a newbie.

Earth 1 is for the readers/fans that have been around for a while. Like the old Elseworlds titles. Imagine giving someone Gotham By Gaslight and saying, "here you go, this is the Batman". you can't. Or giving someone Superman: Red Son before knowing about Superman. It kind of destroys the Batman mythos. Earth 1 is a good story to be read AFTER you already are in the know so you can appreciate another origin idea.
    I COMPLETELY disagree that the Earth 1 Origin stories are equivalent to other elseworld titles. It makes me think you havent read them. They arent like the ALLSTAR books, they are written to be much more approachable retelling of a slick and modern origin. Its an approachable stand alone graphic novel which focus on the main themes. You dont need to know who Jason Todd is or have an emotional relationship with The Kents. I disagree with you on that the changes in the charicters greatly effects the way they tell the story. I think its better to be a modern take on classic characters.

Elseworlds "definition": The imprint presents narratives in which existing characters or storylines are introduced to an entirely new idea or concept and often put into alternate timelines or realities. Most Elseworlds stories instead take place in entirely self-contained continuities, with the only connection to the canon DC continuity being the presence of familiar DC characters. source Wikipedia and DC.

This exactly what Earth 1 is. Existing characters introduced in an entirely new idea and concept, put into an alternate timeline and reality. Earth 1 (Batman and Superman) are the new version of the old Elseworlds titles. You can argue all you want, but to quote PEN15, you would be WRONG.

I have at least 15 Elseworlds titles, and basically the complete run from Year 1 to present, along with some older titles, so yes I know what I am talking about.

For a newbie to read Earth 1 as an acceptable origin story without "knowing" all that has happened is just plain confusing and wrong. You do not have to convince me on how good of a story Earth 1 is, I agree with you, but it should not be a book read before so many of the other titles.
    Last edited by Powder; 09-08-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Hunny, when you read my posts, you have to read ALL the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    I COMPLETELY disagree that the Earth 1 Origin stories are equivalent to other elseworld titles.
    My argument isn’t that they aren’t elseworlds-esque but the fact is that they aren’t the same concept or even close to the same premise.

The Earth 1 Titles are NOT an Elseworlds imprint. They are the Earth 1 Imprint which is built with the specific intent to tell the origins and their earliest adventures. DC Comics does not consider Earth 1 to be an elseworlds title. Thus the Elseworlds titles have a completely different premise than the Earth 1 line does. Read up on how DC Comics describes the Earth 1 line, it is the essence of the character.

You might be able to better argue that All Star DC Comics is an imprint closer to the Elsewords than the Earth1 is. If we use a Marvel Example, Earth 1 is much closer in Premise to the Ultimate line rather than the What If line (which Elseworlds was patterned after) . you are making the argument that the Ultimate line is the same premise as a What If story. Which is silly.

The intent of Earth 1 is to tell an origin story with a modern bent. Isnt that by definition as an acceptable origin story?

I mean technically, Almost every book you mentioned (including Year 1 and No man’s Land) is all currently elseworlds because the New 52 erased “all that has happened”.

Earth 1 is written to be an updated origin which strips away all the rest of the DC universe. Its intended by DC to be an updated origin. Wouldn’t that imply that it’s a good jumping on point for a new reader?
    Last edited by Irishsara; 09-08-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Haven't read the arc, but I don't like Falcon taking over the Cap' mantle. Not really cause it's not Rogers but because they made him too weak and too old to do it. Makes things messy when they inevitably put Rogers back as Cap'.

Probably. Nothing wrong with trying to see if it picks up sales tho. Wasn't reading Cap books to begin with so I dont care either way. The female Thor I'm looking forward to tho.

I'm guessing with the female thor, Marvel wants their own wonder woman?

Doubt that since it appears his Mother might be the female Thor.

What are peoples thoughts on the Marvel Ultimate series? I grabbed volume 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man to check out.

Marvel confirmed they will be killing off Deadpool next month. Wolverine. Deadpool. Who is next? The entire Mutant population my guess based on current storylines.

Does killing all the mutants also have something to do with the movie rights?

Only reason I see them doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Does killing all the mutants also have something to do with the movie rights?
    They killed Cap too. They mindwiped Spiderman. They killed Daredevil (dead for like 3 pages). I could keep going.

That Thor book with one of the stories written by Punk is out. It sucked IMO.