Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comics

Squared
    Thanks for the order, Rob. Serendipity - I started with Daredevil anyway, so I'll just carry on with that for now. I quite like it, actually.

There's actually too much stuff for me to list it all, apparently, and no easy way to try and copy it across to here, so I'll have to be more specific. I was going to get something Hulk related so I will just list the holdings for Hulk stuff.

The Incredible Hulk vol. 2 and 3 (2013)
    Hulk vs X-Force (2010)
    World War Hulks (2011)
    Abominable (2012)
    Fear itself (2012)
    Banner D.O.A. (2014)
    The Man Within (2014)
    Smash Time (2014)
    Humanity Bomb (2015)
    World's End (2008)
    Planet Savage (2011)
    Enigma Force (2011)
    Fall of the Hulks vol. 2 (2010)
    The Definitive Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Omega Hulk (2015)
    Hulk Visionaries Vol. 1 (2015)
    The Incredible Hulk: Heart of the Monster (2011)
    Marvel Masterworks: Hulk 1-6 (2009)

I figure that's enough for now. If they have them I'm probably going to look for the Masterworks or the Definitive as a way into it first of all, but they didn't have either in stock last time so it was the more contemporary and isolated stuff that had lost me. I will say, I did glance at some of the art work in 1-2 of them and I found that the artwork had a lot less charm than in some of the older stuff I've been looking at. I don't know if that's just going to The Hulk stuff, those individual comics, or across the board, but it surprised me. I figured if anything it'd get more 'arty' as it went along.

Ploughing through Green Lantern stuff and making my way through the early X-Men stuff as well - this Masterworks book has the first ten X-Men in it so I'll have seen quite a few by the time I come to the end. It seems to me that there's already a marked difference between DC and Marvel, even here; the D.C. guys seem more like straight heroes at this point in time while Marvel seems a bit lighter in tone but also like they want to distinguish individual characters a bit more. And while there are differences in the way the D.C. heroes were drawn, there seems to be still more difference between them, and the artwork in these X-Men strips. I'm guessing that even across individual artists they each had some kind of 'house style'?

So yeah, for Hulk stuff I'd certainly go with the Masterworks and the Definitive collections. The others are all kind of storyline specific. I do recommend World War Hulk though. It's pretty good stuff.

In terms of artwork, there's definitely a different style today from the early days. Back in the beginning it was very panel driven, pretty standard formatting. Today, it kind of goes in its own direction depending upon who's drawing. But yeah, there was a "house" style back in the day, not so much now as artists tend to cross over more when their contracts are up. A recent big deal is Brian Michael Bendis leaving Marvel and going to DC. That's a huge get for them.

So let's talk Hulk then. Obviously you know Bruce Banner is the Hulk. He was a scientist caught in a Gamma Radiation explosion and when angered or scared, he transforms into the big green monster. Interestingly enough, Hulk was originally grey for the first few issues. Marvel didn't think the character popped enough so they just decided to change the color and make him green. I don't even think there was any real explanation for it.

Over the years Banner as tried to separate himself from the Hulk, which never seemed to work, but he has managed to tweak the intellect of him over time. Hulk has gone from a non-communicative beast, to a brilliant version of himself known as Mr. Fixit. During that period he actually reverted to grey color again, explained by Banner's increased control over the change. In recent years, Hulk again became volatile and for a time was sent off into space by Earth's Heroes. He ended up on an alien planet, which is part of the basis for the Planet Hulk animated movie that exists as well. He becomes ruler of the planet, and his appearance in the new Thor movie, in full armor, is an homage to that storyline. On that planet, he actually had a kid named Skaar. Currently in the comics, Banner is dead, killed by Hawkeye in the Civil War II storyline as he was seen in a premonition as destroying the world.

However, there are more parts of the Hulk family.

Jennifer Walters is She-Hulk, Banner's cousin who received a blood transfusion from him when in critical condition in the hospital. She can change at will, and maintains her intelligence when She-Hulk. She isn't as strong nor as savage as Banner, and in fact stays in her She-Hulk persona most of the time. She's also one of Marvel's resident lawyers, often working with or even against Matt Murdock (Daredevil).

General Thunderbolt Ross, the Hulk's biggest enemy over the years, grew tired of losing to Banner, so he voluntarily underwent experimentation to put himself on an even playing field with Hulk. For a long time, Red Hulk's identity was kept secret, and it was quite the shock to readers when it was Ross who was revealed as Red Hulk. Interestingly enough, being Red Hulk Ross grew to understand the struggles Banner had being basically a monster. Ross ended up working for good with a group called the Thunderbolts. However, most recently Ross has been cured and is no longer Red Hulk

Doc Samson was a scientist in Marvel who was trying to cure Banner early on. He was exposed to mild levels of gamma radiation and gathered increased strength as well as now green hair. Early on his strength was determined by the length of his hair, but that stabilized over time. He's never been a major character but turns up when necessary. Like a lot of Marve characters, he's been believed dead several times now

Red She-Hulk is actually Betty Ross, Thunderbolt Ross' daughter and on again off again love interest of Banner. Ross subjected her to the same experiment that turned him into Red Hulk in order to save her life basically. She became enraged with power, never wanting to be transformed. She eventually overcame her rage but fought against her father for what he did to her.

The NEW Hulk- I think I briefly mentioned him in this thread some time ago. With Banner dead there was no Hulk. One of Marvel's most brilliant minds, Amadeus Cho, figured out how to become the Hulk anytime he wanted. He can change back and forth at will while still keeping his genius mind. The problem most of the time is that he doesn't have the ferocity that is often needed when someone Hulks up if you will. Cho is a bit of a smartass, conceited and annoying. He's actually rubbed a lot of the heroes the wrong way, but they realize he does have Hulk level strength and is brilliant which often comes in handy.

There are a few others in the family that have been changed by Gamma radiation, like the villain the Abomination and A-Bomb, but I think I'll leave it here for now.

Squared
    I'd heard of Red Hulk and She Hulk but I didn't know anything about them at all.

I know that at one point, the Hulk became David Banner rather than Bruce - was that just for TV or was it more deeply rooted in something?

Quietly enjoying these early X-Men comics by the way. Except for the fact that literally everyone is in love with Jean Grey.

The use of "David" was a TV thing, and oddly enough the only rumoured explanation for not using Bruce was because it was considered an effeminate name. Stupid I know, but that's all I've been able to find on the name change.

X-Men is without a doubt one of my favorite comic series of all-time. And yeah, everyone was in love with Jean. That didn't change much over the years. There was always conflict between Scott Summers and Logan, and others became fixated on her too. Seriously, the Dark Phoenix Saga is my all-time favorite comic arc and I believe will be the focus of the next X-Men film.

Squared
    I could sort of take all the teenagers fancying her, because she's the only girl and as a bunch of adolescents it kinda makes sense. But Xavier was the one that pushed it too far for me. Plus, and I know that it's a very different time now than it was in 1960 or thereabouts.... but it's a bit creepy.

But generally enjoying it. I've noticed that much the like the films the Marvel style seems a bit more.... informal? Slightly more jokey, a bit less earnest.

And meanwhile I always fancied Rogue. Even in the films.

Squared
    So, I got fed up of the older stuff I was looking for not being in the library. So I took a punt on some newer stuff. Some Green Lantern thing and then one of the Captain America from this new Hydra Steve Rogers thing.

I'll let you know how I get on....

I highly suggest the Batman: The War of Jokes and Riddles graphic novel. Great stuff

I read the individual books and it was an absolutely fantastic story arc, but it was misplaced.

The Batman prior (#24) was when Bruce asked Selina to marry him, then for the next 8 issues we got this great standalone story. Yes I know Bruce said that Selina "had to know" this prior to getting married or saying yes, but DC made their fans wait 3/4 of a year to continue the marriage proposal arc.

This story could have been a separate story or a one shot graphic novel.

However, the arc was awesome.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Some Green Lantern thing and then one of the Captain America from this new Hydra Steve Rogers thing.
    More information in case it is helpful: Green Lantern was Lights out. Cap was Empire Building.

My library had a ton of Image comics stuff. Some great titles to read if you haven't:

Invincible
    Descender
    Outcast
    Saga
    Southern Bastards
    Paper Girls
    Chew
    Locke & Key
    The Sixth Gun
    Morning Glories

Saga is fantastic

Yes it is.