Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WCW Thread

WCW Thread

I was originally going to have this thread be about favorite moments of the now deceased company, but I felt it was better to just make it an entire open forum on the company. If you have anything you want to post about WCW, whether it be negative or positive, a memory, an opinion, whatever it may be, this is the place to do it.

h8makingnames
    Vince Russo is "the fahtha that David Flaya neva had"

I miss the Nitro Girls :-(

I miss the entire original nWo storyline. It was fucking brilliant. For the first few months, the Hogan heel turn, the accusation of Sting and him becomming "the crow", Hogan putting over Luger to win the title on Free TV. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, storyline.

Then, like everything else in WCW, it imploded.

h8makingnames
    Off topic (kinda), but is Crude back? I really enjoyed his drunken reviews of the WCW shows

First off, it took only one post before the first David Flair reference?! I'm so proud!

Quote Originally Posted by dpowder View Post
    I miss the entire original nWo storyline. It was fucking brilliant. For the first few months, the Hogan heel turn, the accusation of Sting and him becomming "the crow", Hogan putting over Luger to win the title on Free TV. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, storyline.

Then, like everything else in WCW, it imploded.
    As much as I love the nWo storyline, I personally think the Sting arc was better. We basically saw a known, proven commodity in the wrestling world change everything about his gimmick and appearance, go a year without talking or wrestling a match and still become the most interesting man in wrestling. No one else could've ever done that. I know the nWo played a part in what happened with Sting as well, but to me the whole Sting arc was the best thing ever, even after WCW ruined it with that unbelievable Starrcade debacle.

Goldberg Rules!
    Lucha. WCW lucha. Greatest contribution to the industry ever.

Too bad no mainstream promotion uses it anymore.

The Hurra Duff
    Anyone wonder WHAT IF someone other than Vince had bought WCW would have it survived (assuming whoever bought it got a TV deal)?

I remember reading in Flair's autobiography that he wished he'd have known how cheap Vince had gotten WCW for he would've bought it with some investors and he'd have run it.

Jericho also states on the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD that he would've tried to buy the company if he had known how cheap it would be sold for. Frankly I think a lot of people would've as the final sale was around only $3 million; that was one hell of a bargain for Vince.

As to whether the company would've survived, I think that largely would've depended on whether or not WCW was able to land another network. If they had, no question the company would've been able to survive and may even still be around today. The question from that then is would the company have been able to compete with WWE again, and that depends on who would've been in charge.

Aston Crude
    I really miss it. Gawd damn.

Just imagine if someone with some balls and half a brain had bankrolled it. A lot of people honestly believe Vince was staring down the barrel of a gun during those 80+ weeks.

I can hear mizfan arguing against me once again here when I make this point but here it goes anyway; I truly believe that if Sting had actually beaten Hogan cleanly at Starrcade 97, we're looking at a different industry right now. Obviously the pieces for the mistakes that occurred after that moment would've still been in place (Hogan and Nash among others), but the big thing to me is that Bischoff, by letting Sting beat Hogan without all the hoopla and shenanigans, would've actually been saying no to Hogan. Doesn't sound big, but seeing as Bischoff never did that once from what I recall, that might've given Bischoff the confidence to grow a pair and make his own decisions. If that happens, I think WCW could've survived, especially since Sting would've been on the level of anyone in the industry at the time and would've been looking at big time matches with Bret Hart and Goldberg (hell, imagine a world where Sting had defeated Hogan cleanly at Starrcade 97, then fought an undefeated Goldberg at Starrcade 98? It would've broken every record alive).

Goldberg Rules!
    They still had a good thing going in 1998, only to fuck it all down the drain by keeping Bischoff in power too long. Cut him off at the knees sometime during 98, and you don't get Flair getting cut down, and you keep the nWo in check (in a business sense, you remind them who the boss is, so to speak).

Goldberg vs DDP is still a guilty pleasure of mine.

It only really got bad in 1999 for WCW I thought. People forget that even though RAW was beating WCW in the ratings, they were still drawing pretty good ratings themselves; in fact, I believe they actually were up in 98 compared to when they were winning the war in 96/97. You could also make the argument that the two best Nitro's happened that year; the July 6th Nitro where Goldberg won the title in the Georgia Dome, and the September 14th episode that features the reformation of the Four Horsemen (and one of the coolest, bone chilling moments ever courtesy of Ric Flair), the first of an amazing trilogy of matches between Billy Kidman and the Juice, and Goldberg vs. Sting as the main event (which at half the potential of what it could've been was still a match with amazing atmosphere). 1998 wasn't a bad year for WCW at all.

And T.O., Goldberg vs. DDP is no guilty pleasure; that's actually a pretty damn good match all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I can hear mizfan arguing against me once again here when I make this point but here it goes anyway; I truly believe that if Sting had actually beaten Hogan cleanly at Starrcade 97, we're looking at a different industry right now..

I agree 90%. I'm not sure WCW would still be here, BUT its always possible. At the very least, I think people would look back at Starrcade 97' as one of the greatest events ever, INSTEAD of looking back at it as the beginning of the end for WCW. Was the rest of the card perfect? Ofcourse not...but the number one complaint coming out of that show was the horrid, anti-climactic ending of the main event and THAT is what essentially makes the show an overall failure. Think about WrestleMania 29's lackluster main event as evidence that this phenomenon still exists today.

If Starrcade's ending had been handled correctly, with the ending being exactly what the fans wanted, Sting would've been a bigger star. Bret Hart wouldn't have come off as a "third wheel" in a storyline that was peaking. The nWo and Goldberg storylines may not have been changed too dramatically, BUT, in both cases, you now have Sting AND Hart in much better positions to challenge them in the main event.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    The nWo angle to me died when Bischoff joined. I have no idea why, but that night I changed the channel back to USA and stayed there. I did always catch the WCW replay right after Raw and Nitro, but still. I will say this though, most people LOVED the nWo/WCW thing up until Starrcade '97. For me I would have changed a few things. One Roddy Piper actually wins the title in Starrcade '96. Hogan can beat him the next night, or at nWo Souled Out. The Lugar winning on free TV was great. Then at Starrcade '97, Sting wins cleanly, and doesn't lose the belt back to the nWo that spring. Sting is the franchise. From there, Goldberg starts his streak, mows over the nWo, both Wolfpac and Hollywood, then battles Sting at Starrcade '98. It would be one of the biggest match ups in WCW history.

That was a big moment when Bischoff joined nWo, both good and bad. I don't think that moment itself was a big reason WCW crumbled, but it most certainly was the point where Bischoff became too attached to his creation which ultimately allowed some of his later decisions to happen. That said, Bischoff was awesome in that role for the nWo. He doesn't nearly get enough credit for his heel work on the mic, and he was a heat magnet every time he came out back then.

By the way, if things do fall perfectly and WCW books the undefeated Goldberg vs. Sting at Starrcade 98, that wouldn't have just been the biggest match in WCW history but arguably the biggest match ever. The crowd went nuts for the matches the two had (on Nitro and at Slamboree 99, a guilty pleasure PPV for me) when there was hardly any meat on them; imagine what it would've been like if there was. I guarantee that match would've drawn the biggest buyrate in wrestling history, bar none.

The Hurra Duff
    Here's a question for you all: At what point did you know that WCW had passed The Point of No Return?

Goldberg Rules!
    March 25, 2001

RabidChihuahua
    The night David Arquette won the WCW world title.

Blackwell
    The nights they let KISS, Megadeth, No Limit Soldiers on the show.

The Hurra Duff
    Fingerpoke of Doom for me.

Nash beating Goldberg at Starrcade. Loved it as a kid, but in the grand scheme of things it was a poor decision.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hurra Duff View Post
    Here's a question for you all: At what point did you know that WCW had passed The Point of No Return?
    Took me a little while....probably around the New Blood/Millionaire's Club feud.

rahman82
    " David Arquette is the world champion!! ", that was it i knew it was all downhill from there. When that happened i closed my eyes and let out one of those long sighs of disgust. Russo can defend his booking of that angle to the end of time, in no way whatsoever did that make any sense. Hogan's BS creative control clause didnt help matters either, I didnt really care for Hogan in WWF but when he came to WCW and ran over everybody like it was the bush leagues i hated his ass.

Goldberg Rules!
    I loved Hollywood Hogan. Pre-Hollywood was garbage, but once the magical leg drop on Savage came, gold.

I've always been interested in people's opinion on this; how well was the Goldberg heel turn pulled off? I know it gets a bad rap historically, but every time I see it again I kind of like how they pulled the whole thing off. I don't think the turn worked out in the long run, but the initial turn I thought was decently handled (or as well handled as things could be concerning the New Blood angle).

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Nash beating Goldberg at Starrcade. Loved it as a kid, but in the grand scheme of things it was a poor decision.
    If a character can't survive losing a match in wrestling, then that character is weak.

It wasn't that he lost the match; certainly he had to lose eventually. That just wasn't the time to do it in my opinion. They could've easily stretched out the streak for a little while longer and then allowed one of the younger guys to beat him, thus creating another star in the process. I don't know if that actually would've happened, but that's what the thought process should've been.

Dario
    Weren't people sick of the whole thing long before the Nash/Goldberg match? I haven't watched that match in a long time, but I remember a large portion of the crowd was behind Nash and went nuts when he won.

That's because Nash was incredibly popular in his own right at the time. For all the talk of the Wolfpack being a failure, that group was incredibly over with the fans throughout 1998. It wasn't so much that people wanted the streak to end but that Nash was well liked as well.

The Hurra Duff
    I didn't mind Goldberg losing at Starrcade but the ending is what pissed me off.

What I miss is Jeff Jarrett, Vince Russo on screen, the New Blood, and no wait, I don't miss that at all.

But I do miss the WCW tag team division: Harlem Heat, The Steiners, American Males, Power and Glory, Bagwell and Norton, etc...

But most of all, what I miss about WCW is....

WAR GAMES!!!!

Take away the final WarGames match where Russo helped Nash retain the title and I am with you there! Really needs to be brought back.

What is Vince waiting for? The concept was awesome.

The Hurra Duff
    Wargames wasn't Vince's creation. He hates anything wrestling wise he didn't "create."

That's true, but he did once use The Great American Bash as a PPV for a couple of years. I don't think we'll ever see a classic WarGames match, but I wouldn't doubt that we see an Elimination Chamber version of it. The WWE games have had a six man tornado tag Elimination Chamber match for a few years, and there was talk of having The Shield-Cena, Ryback, Sheamus match from last year being that match.

Goldberg Rules!
    It fuckin' should have been. There's no better set up than that was. You can't tell me, outside of not wanting to risk Cena's health (which is a bullshit reason to begin with), why they didn't make that War Games.

I was especially mad because I fantasy booked it a month prior to that.

My fear then was that if they did a WarGames style match for that, The Shield would've lost, which shouldn't have happened at the time. Beyond that, I still don't know why that match didn't happen. I'm guessing that the Triple H storyline this year means that it will occur, at least I'm hoping so.

New discussion time; best match of the Nitro era WCW.

I hated WCW, I hated Bishoff, I hated Hogan, i wanted to free Ric Flair and the other legends of the business. I hated that it was all about the money and it had no craft. It was all hat and no cattle. The main events NEVER paid off for me. I hated it so much, because I was a little girl and Paul Heyman told me to.

I hated Mike Awesome so much, i still had heat at the first One Night Stand. It drove me crazy the amount of talent WCW had and that they never seemed to show it off. They seemed like the storylines were overexposed and that even then i never felt like we got to the payoff.

I loved that cruiserweight Division, i marked for 3count and occasionally they did stuff that got a reaction. Its funny what i remember about WCW (Gener Rection, GI Bro and the MIA, Booker T saying he needed his brother to watch his back, Raven's Flock, Old Age Outlaws) my brother would tape raw and Nitro at the same time (one of the livingroom tv and one on the basement tv) so we could watch them without switching back and forth. It was great after school tuesday and wednesday.

Best matches of the Nitro Era? For me

Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero Uncensored 1997 (if you ignore unconscious Scott Steiner)

Jung Dragons vs. 3 Count the Ladder Match from New Blood Rising

Rey Mysterio vs. Dean Malenko Great American Bash 1996

Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page Halloween Havoc 1998 - because of the cool story attached.

Chris Benoit vs. Raven - Souled Out 98 - Can we include Benoit yet? If we can id probably also include Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit from that Nitro that one time.

The Midnight Express vs. The Southern Boys from Great American Bash '90 - Oh this one doesnt count? too bed, Best American Tag Match EVER.

Eddy Guerrero Vs. Shinjiro Otani - Starrcade 1995

Steven Regal Vs. Fit Finlay - Uncensored 1996

Chris Jericho Vs. Raven and the Flock -Halloween Havoc 1996
    Last edited by Irishsara; 11-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.