Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WCW Thread

Coach, I think Steiner likely would've suffered the same fate that Booker ultimately did. Hell, it may have even been worse seeing how he completely flopped when he came in a few years later. His promos with The Rock likely would've been a sight to behold though.

Take this however you will, but there is apparently some rumor out there that Vince Russo was brought back to the WWE sometime in 2002, and tried to talk Vince McMahon into doing a storyline where Bischoff was brought in as GM, Vince would torment him and Bischoff would bring in former WCW guys as a resistance. Against my better judgement, I probably would've been interested in seeing that angle play out.

rahman82
    if i decide to get the network and i can go back and watch wcw from that time period maybe ill see it in a different perspective, but at the time even thru all the batshit stuff I found wcw entertaining. A good example is a Scott Steiner promo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=763Isvy65ws

That man is the greatest thing that ever happened to unintentional comedy. He's also the future President of Wrestling in the near distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    So because there were five blunders, WCW was the fourth best company? Right.
    Yeah, the product was less good than, in no particular order, The WWF, ECW, ALL Japan Pro Wrestling. Its not JUST those blunders. You are ignoring the rest of the point. Its because of dilution of the NWO in 1998 (Black and white A team B team , Red and White, LWO) the focus on Hogan. The weakness in the main event level. WCW has some of the worst pro wrestling on a Pay Per View ever. These problems exist. When you look close, it is clear.

WCW is 4th. I prefer All Japan in 1998. I prefer WWF in 1998 and I prefer ECW in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Let's look at the whole year here PPV to PPV. Souled Out to start the year was a godd show with the exception of Luger-Savage, including a match of the year candidate in Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair.
    Alright. If Souled Out is a solid example of a PPV in 1998 then lets look at in depth as an example what WCW did well and what they did wrong.

Souled Out 1998

Who are the current champions

World Heavyweight Championship: there isnít one. Sting and Hogan had match at Starcade 1997 that had a shit finish where the championship was vacantÖ for 2 monthsÖ So was it defended in the Ric Flair vs Bret Hart match? No in the Luger vs Savage? No. Was it defended at all? Nope.
    US Championship: DDP - who cares, Page isnít even on the show.
    World Tag Team Championship: The Outsiders who had been champions for about a year and are a perfect example how Bishoff took one of the greatest assets of the old NWA/WCW and decimated it. A thriving division was decimated. The titles were obviously not defended.
    Cruiserweight Title: Rey Mysterio He has been champ for about a year and is one of the greatest cruiserweights of all time. This is a great example of what the WCW did great, the lower end of its cards always had amazing matches which werenít given enough time with guys who had a surplus of talent.
    Television Title : Booker T. He won this on the Nitro after Starrcade. Why is Booker defending the TV title not on TV? Who knows.

NWO was still one single faction and it was 1/4th of the company of wrestlers. The WCW booking committee will break up the NOW soon after this and eventually there will be 4 people with variations of the NWO name (this doesnít include Warriorís One Warrior Nation or oWn which would be the 5th)

I watched the entire PPV. Maybe I was wrong. Lets give Cult the benefit of the doubt.

Here is the first part.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3y...8-part-1_sport

Chavo Guerrero Jr., Juventud Guerrera, Lizmark Jr. & Super Calo vs El Dandy, La Parka, Psychosis & Silver King (9:30)

Wow, what an opener. God Damn. Lucha Libre rules donít hurt this match at all. La Parka is over, like really over (why wasnít he ever pushed hard?) Silver King pulls a helicopter slam on Juice for a near fall thatís a thing of beauty. This match has EVERYTHING that is great about the WCW midcard. The Crowd is so hot for this.

Crispen Wah vs Raven in a No Disqualification Match (10:36)

Raven is the real star here. this match was supposed to happen at Starrcade but Perry Saturn took Raven's place to play up Raven running from a fight This match is solid . Their use of a steel chair is inspired. Raven laughs in the Crossface while he passes out. God I love Raven matches, A match like this is why Raven was on the cover of WCW vs NWO Revenge. They were able to tell a story using the stipulation. Itís a good match. Not the best match from these 2 wrestlers. The finish ends with The Flock charging the ring and Dean Malenko rising to Benoitís defense. There is a weird moment between Benoit and Malenko which is never really explained and ignored a few weeks later, but this is Pro Wrestling of the era.

All in all Ö thatís a lovely example of a solid midcard Extreme style match from 2 ECW vets.

Chris Jericho vs. Rey Misterio, Jr. (c) for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship (8:22)

I wanted this to be good. This match is average at best. Rey Mysterioís knee seems to be in rough shape and if I remember correctly, he takes a bunch of time off after this. I personally feel their matches 10 years later are significantly better than this one. Rey doesnít sell. Chris works hard. The match suffers from lack of time. The Liontamer was such a great finisher in this era. After the match, for seemingly no reason Jericho attacks Rey after WINNING THE TITLE. Makes no sense. This match is average and the screwy booking at the end makes it worse.

Booker T (c) vs Rick Martel for the WCW Television Championship (10:50)

In the final title defense of the night Booker T carries the aging Rick Martel through a Face vs Face match which suffered from bad booking. Booker works his ass off in this match. Rick Martel is awkward (look at the Quebec Crab), some of his work suffers a bit and he seems a bit lost at times. The match is decent but itís not solid. This is Bookerís second title defense and it makes no sense that its face vs face. Sure at the end of the match Perry Saturn attacks Martel and Booker makes the save, the second post match attack in a row. Booking? What booking.

Larry Zbyszko (w/ Dusty Rhodes) vs Scott Hall (w/ Louie Spicolli) (8:09)

Larry is supposed to be the face, I think, He seems to have serous heat with the crowd. Dusty Rhodes Joined the NWO for no reason. The turn makes no sense. The match is horrible. The booking is illogical. There were multiple interference on the match and Louie breaks up submissions like itís a tag match and finally when Dusty makes his strange turn they call the DQ. Tons of Larry sucks chants. I donít understand how anyone could think this was good. Ever. Oh yeah and there is a beatdown.

The tag team titles were not defended on this card

Ray Traylor, Scott & Rick Steiner (w/ Ted DiBiase) vs Buff Bagwell, Konnan & Scott Norton (w/ Vincent) (12:20)

This is a NWO match trying the slow turn of Scott as Rick not being able to trust Scott. Cult tells me that Scott Steiner's heel turn was awesome. It doesnít feel awesome. This match is formulaic and horrible. The only redeeming part was a Steiner Screwdriver. This is over a year til February 22, 1998 when Scott actually joins the NWO. Bad.

Kevin Nash (w/ Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff) vs The Giant (10:47)

All I can say is Oh My God. THIS is the match where Nash dropped the Giant on his head. This match was scheduled for Starrcade but for some reason that no one is really clear on it didnít happen. Hogan gave Nash a bowl of hot coffee, and Nash throws it into Giantís face so Nash could get the win. Nash then botched the powerbomb. Who needs clean finishes?

Bret Hart vs Ric Flair (18:06)

Damn, this match was good. This match was so good it almost makes suffering through the last 3 matches of terrible worth it. a masterclass of the fundamentals of wrestling psychology. Bret hits all the greatest hits of his moveset in places where it makes sense. Hart reverses most of Ricís offense unless he cheats, so Ric cheats liberally. Its not Bret and Ricís best match together (1992 Iron Man match) but itís a perfect example of the talent that WCW has languishing on the edges of the spotlight. Ric seems to be one of the few people to put over Bret.

Who needs a build? who needs tv time? who needs the world title? This is a great way to end the Pay Per View. What a main event!. Oh wait. This is WCW so they arenít allowed to have a satisfying main event.

Lex Luger vs Randy Savage (w/ Miss Elizabeth) (7:07)

If only it was 1989. But its not, itís the height of the NWO Clusterfuck. The match quickly deteriorates nWo beat down results, Sting makes the save. PPV over. Thank FUCK. This Main Event doesnít deliver. Sound Familiar?

Politics and Booking have their fingerprints all over this show. The World Title was not defended (tho there was some sort of announcement which would have made SO much more sense on Nitro.) The vacant titleís two main contenders didnít wrestle on the show except for showing up in matches (interfering) . The US title was not defended on the show and its holder DDP didnít even show up. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall didnít defend the tag titles on the show and were part of terrible matches.

Well, the first two matches show everything that was amazing about WCW. The final match and the rest of the NWO stuff shows why WCW lost their ratings lead. Most of the rest wasnít horrible but it wasnít amazing either. Itís mostly filler.

So in conclusion, The Lower Midcard is amazing but isnít getting enough of a push or enough time. The booking is haphazard and lacks long term foresight. (no one knows where they are going) it has a lot of filler and they arenít pushing the right talent. There is the occasional shockingly good bright spot but the main event fails to deliver.

This makes my point. WCW has clear flaws and, in 1998, they have begun the decline.

In January 1998, New Japan had the Final Power Hall in Tokyo Dome show .
    WWF held Royal Rumble where Austin won and Undertaker wrestled HBK in that casket match.
    ECW held House Party 98 which is one of the few ECW shows I do not own. So I cannot comment. If itís as good as Cyber Slam (or some of the Arena shows of the period) then its alright but a bit muddled before RVDís shove and Taz gets his legs under himself.
    All Japan Pro Wrestling was highlighting Vader, Dr. Death, Stan Hansen, Gary Albright, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue, Jun Akiyama, Hiroshi Hase and Mitsuhar Misawa. 1998 is arguably the height of All Japan before Baba dies and Noah breaks off in 1999.

In all fairness, I've never seen much of New Japan or All Japan Wrestling, so I cannot comment on if it was better or worse than WCW at the time or at any point. I personally believe that till Austin wins the title in March, ECW and WCW were the two best promotions for the past year. That's just my opinion.

Sara, I'm in no way disputing that WCW misused their younger talent or that they didn't dilute the nWo thing (although the LWO was a completely separate entity and I believe had no former nWo members involved). Hell, I am the guy who believes that the first nail in WCW's coffin was the end of Starrcade 97; Sting should've beaten Hogan cleanly in that match and gone on to have a nice long title reign in 1998 while the nWo imploded and then fought each other. It angers me to no end that we didn't get matches like Hogan vs. The Outsiders, Sting vs. Bret Hart, Sting vs. DDP and Sting vs. Goldberg on PPV; the latter match in particular could've been the biggest match of all time if they had built it all the way up to Starrcade 98. So trust me, you are correct in saying that WCW dropped the ball on a ton of stuff during 1998.

All I am saying though is that, despite all of that, WCW still had a pretty damn good year with a lot of entertaining stuff. The rise of Goldberg and DDP into main event players was successful. The Wolfpack, even though it never should've formed, was an entertaining and popular group. The midcarders continued to have some damn good matches. The list goes on and on. Did it ultimately help the company in the end? No, clearly not. But to me, the product in 1998 was still pretty damn good, and in my opinion more enjoyable than WWE was for the most part other than Austin. But I understand that it is subjective here, and you'll probably find fifteen different opinions from fifteen different fans if you ask them.

Oliver
    The thing with WCW is that, come 1998, their main event scene was the drizzling shits. Give me the '98 WCW midcard with the '98 WWF main event scene and you've got the best federation you could possibly imagine.

I say this - I actually missed a lot of the WCW stuff of that era, seeing as I could only catch Thunder over in the UK. Looking forward to reliving it on the Network soon, though.

McDaygo
    I'm biased to the nWo. It was cool and could do no wrong in my eyes ither than letting Jeff Jarret in it. This of course is an on screen opinion. Behind the scenes while I agree with who WCW pushed (sans jarrett) If they weren't stupid with thier money via contracts they could have lasted a lot longer.

I was a even bigger wolfpac fan.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    - I actually missed a lot of the WCW stuff of that era, seeing as I could only catch Thunder over in the UK.
    Not to contradict you, Oliver, but Nitro used to be on over here. It was usually on before Thunder on Friday Night, at about 9pm when the Cartoon Network turned into TNT. I used to record them both... or at least, start with Nitro and get as much of Thunder as I could before the tape ran out. At least that was how it was up until mid-1999, after which point the only access I know of to the product was WCW WorldWide on Channel 5, which obviously not everyone had access to back then.

I miss WCW. I knew it was a bit crazy at times, but I still miss it.

Oliver
    Did Nitro and Raw run parallel to each other on Sky? I remember setting the video player for Raw and also recording Thunder, but hardly ever Nitro - sometimes the extra hour that was on, I think. I remember WorldWide on 5, sitting and watching that when I could.

The WCW undercard shows (Worldwide, Thunder and such) were such a great part of WCW. It had real matches and gave time that Raw and Nitro with its obsession with the quarter hours couldnt match .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_WIwPr7twA

I loved WCW. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the Network launch. WCW Saturday night was a fun program in its initial run, also.

THE MONKEY
    Always loved WCW, and WCW Saturday Night was a huge staple in my Saturday viewing. I loved the gimmick they ran for awhile of having main events be 2/3 falls matches. I remember really liking the Dustin Rhodes/Barry Windham vs Steve William/Terry Gordy for the Unified Tag Titles match in particular.

I also missed little things like the time limit for the Television title. I loves seeing Steven Regal defend the belt only to have the big face at the time unable to beat him within the time limit. Good way to get both guys over. Him and Ricky Steamboat in particular had some great bouts during that period.

Evan
    Here is an interesting question. At what points did WCW present an all around superior product to WWE?

I think they almost always had a superior wrestling product, but I feel from as early as 1995 they had a better wrestling and entertainment product. I think it wasn't until late 97 or early 98 that the tables turned.

Did you really just say WCW was better in 1995? The year of "Where am I? There's no Hulkamaniacs here!", the Monster Truck match, the shaving of Hogan's mustache (then the comparison to that being as dastardly as burning the American flag) and Phantom Hogan? Unless we are speaking about unintentional comedy (which if that is the case, WCW 1995 is the greatest year in wrestling history), that was a pretty terrible year. I'd say WCW was better than WWE from March of 1996 (when Hogan finally finishes off the Dungeon of Doom in that epically awful triple decker cage match) till December of 1998 (when Flair beat Bischoff for Presidency of WCW). You could argue WWE was better for most of 1998, but I personally prefer WCW thanks to Goldberg's rise, the Wolfpac (and bad decision, but still an entertaining team), the reunited Four Horsemen, and the great cruiserweight action. The Juice and Billy Kidman have a series of matches that year that are absolutely incredible.

Evan
    Compared to WWE's 95... Yeah and to be fair I was really only thinking of Nitro launching. I remember all the crap they tossed at Hogan, but in my memory it wasn't as bad as WWE's 1995 which I consider one of, if not their worst year ever. That said I fully admit it could just be me when it comes to 95 WCW, cause I love cheesy B movies and some of that Hogan stuff was Bruce Campbell worthy. There was nothing funny about WWE 1995 with the exception of Mantaur.

I don't know...did WWE have this?

I'd take WCW from June 96' to July 97'.

Then, in my eyes, the WWE overtakes them in August 1997 with SummerSlam 97'.

Austin's neck injury got him even MORE over.

The finish to the excellent Hart/Taker match (with HBK as ref) made that main event program better than anything WCW had going at the time, including Sting vs. nWo and, in the weeks after, we also got the Kane origin storyline.

Was the wrestling better in WCW? Probably match-for-match it was...but Bret Hart's heel run was fantastic, DX was just kinda starting out and were quite captivating, the Hell In A Cell match showed us the WWE was willing to push boundaries with more hardcore wrestling (and that Taker had matured into more than just a cartoon character wrestler), and Steve Austin, even with a broken neck, was the best character on TV (save maybe Pembleton on "Homicide").

The ratings don't show it yet, but I think the summer of 97' is an underrated time for the WWE and that there were plenty of eyes on the product BEFORE the Montreal Screwjob and rise of the McMahon/Austin feud.

Goldberg Rules!
    I demand a WCW lucha collection on the network. Demand it!

I was about concede that point, but thinking about it some more I think WCW barely gets by. Let's not forget that Lex Luger's rise occurs in August of 97 and he beats Hogan for the title in an awesome moment on the 100th Nitro. From there things remain pretty good for the most part; Sting and the nWo feud continues to grow strong, especially when it becomes clear in those hilarious J.J. Dillion-Sting segments that Sting would face Hogan at Starrcade. The Horsemen would reform and then feature Curt Hennig turn on them in that good WarGames match, followed by a pretty decent Flair-Hennig feud that falls through the cracks. The cruiserweights continue to bang down the door (don't Rey and Eddie have a brilliant mask vs. title match at Halloween Havoc that year?), Ultimo Dragon had an entertaining feud with Sonny Ono, The Flock formed, and DDP and Giant were still going strong.

I think it's easy to say WWE had the better year in hindsight because they are still around these days and the memory of that time is pushed pretty strongly. WCW to me was still pretty strong at that time, with the exception of the stupid Hogan-Piper cage match, the Starrcade debacle and nWo Nitro.

Goldberg Rules!
    Luger won the title!!! Luger won the title!!!

I maintain that he had the most hilariously bad music ever for a main eventer.

Even worse than "The Man Called Sting" and "He's American Made?"

Goldberg Rules!
    I actually dug both of those.

Yeah. WTF? Those songs were great.

Eh I was never a big fan. Then again 80's music and me only get along when it's ironically, or when it's covered by Reel Big Fish.

By the way, best theme song from WCW was Raven's, hands down. No contest.

Goldberg Rules!
    Disco Inferno.

I loved Rey Rey's early WCW theme.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Disco Inferno.
    It's in the top twenty that theme. I say the theme music list goes like this;

1. Raven
    2. nWo
    3. Four Horsemen (last two themes in particular)
    4. Diamond Dallas Page
    5. Ric Flair
    6. Sting
    7. Wolfpac
    8. Goldberg
    9. Ultimo Dragon
    10. Harlem Heat
    11. Billy Kidman
    12. Alex Wright
    13. Buff Bagwell (post nWo Buff)
    14. Hollywood Hogan (gotta have Voodoo Child on here)
    15. LWO
    16. Disco Inferno
    17. Dean Malenko
    18. Perry Saturn
    19. Chris Jericho (the Evenflow version)
    20. Berlyn

Dead last; Goldberg's Megadeath theme.

Evan
    Nice list. How was Steiner Brothers theme not on there though? Jimmy Hart was a wrestling theme genius. I start and end my argument with the fabulous rougeau brothers theme....

Some of my favorites not mentioned are Eric Bischoff's, Juventude Guerrera, Public Enemy, and Stings seek and destroy theme.

Sting's crow theme is what he should use for WWE when he comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Sting's crow theme is what he should use for WWE when he comes in.
    Sting's music in WWE should be either the NWO theme or Flairs 2001 theme, because those songs represent the only times Sting drew. As opponents of bigger and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Nice list. How was Steiner Brothers theme not on there though? Jimmy Hart was a wrestling theme genius. I start and end my argument with the fabulous rougeau brothers theme....

Some of my favorites not mentioned are Eric Bischoff's, Juventude Guerrera, Public Enemy, and Stings seek and destroy theme.
    Again, as someone who doesn't care for the 80's style themes, the Steiners theme never really did a whole lot for me. Some of those others are decent though (especially Juvi's, but then again I always loved The Juice!), just not top twenty. I'd say top thirty in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    Sting's music in WWE should be either the NWO theme or Flairs 2001 theme, because those songs represent the only times Sting drew. As opponents of bigger and better.
    Low blow Pen! Don't we have the Great Epic T.O. here to deliver those?

Goldberg Rules!
    Sting couldn't draw with 20 pencils and a ream of paper, jack!

If he does ever return to, he better incorporate Pen into his speech ala the "free agent" promo. "I heard all the fans, all the commentators, all the best friends, and PEN15 doubt the Stinger!"

I'd be his biggest fan at this point. I'd ask for Brock to get injured and Sting to take his place at Mania. True legend.

Super Moderator
    What were the rules in WCW2000? I'm re-watching all the PPVs on The Network, and there are a lot of low blows in front of the ref, manager interference and sometimes blatant weapon shots and similar things. It almost seemed like they were going for ECW-lite rules with no DQ's in matches...unless a DQ was needed to further an angle.

I'm pretty sure that was merely Russo being Russo. If it served a purpose, he'd use it, otherwise he paid no attention to it.

I just watched the entire of The Great American Bash 1996. Ouch. Who put Mongo in the Horsemen? Who the fuck is Ice Train and why is he wrestling with Scott Norton. Pat Tanaka from ECW had a match with Konnan and yet again the Cruiserweight match was the best match on the card.

Sting vs Steven Regal was good tho.

Super Moderator
    I've made it to Uncensored 2000 and it's got some gems!

It opens with Candido coming out to make his debut. As a guest commentator. Unannounced and unadvertised. To no reaction or fanfare whatsoever. They spend the duration of the match putting over how good a wrestler Candido is (without showing us) and talking about how "Internet rumors" are true sometimes.

Bam Bam took a chokeslam from The Wall through a table with computer monitors on it (though no towers anywhere to be seen). The monitors had a little pyro effect when Bam Bam went through the table and the commentators sold it like it was the biggest bump he's ever taken. Then, in the same segment, The Wall chokeslammed Crowbar off the set. The announcers spend the duration of the evening selling that bump, even after noting that Crowbar had only suffered cracked ribs (but the emotional toll!).

They spend the duration of a match teasing tension between partners Booker and Kidman. In the end there was no tension and they worked together to beat Harlem Heat 2000 (as if the wrestlers put a match together without being given the story that the commentators were trying to get over).

Norman Smiley in KISS makeup was the best thing I've ever seen and "The Screamin' Demons" is the best team name imaginable.

The Harris Boys faced The Mamelukes. At one point The Mamelukes hit a variation on The Harris Boys' H-Bomb (which The Mamelukes had always used as a transition move) and rather than cover for it the announcers just called them out on it.

Three Count vs Brian Knobbs involved a table and the announcers proceeded to joke about how there's always a table under the ring and call it a "gimmick". Greg Helms was wearing a very Hurricane-ish mask, which was cool.

Terry Funk changed the rules of the match mid-match and made it an I Quit match. Dustin Rhodes quit. The fans popped. The referee told him that, no, you can't just change the rules mid-match, at which point he was adamant that he didn't need to go for the pin so Dustin proceeded to hit Funk with a piledriver for the pinfall.

The title match was on semi-main and was sold by the commentators and Sid like they were going "off script" and that it wasn't how the run sheet was written.

I will never stop loving this company. Even the garbage has the same dated, campy charm that makes a movie like Teen Wolf so 80's but so fun.

Oh, and Psychosis, Three Count and Juvi looked like children. They were so small, to the point where Psychosis was actually having trouble lifting The Artist once or twice. The difference in size between Helms in early 2000 and even the beginning of his WWE run in 2001 is staggering (although he packed on a ton of muscle throughout 2000).
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 03-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    I just watched the entire of The Great American Bash 1996. Ouch. Who put Mongo in the Horsemen? Who the fuck is Ice Train and why is he wrestling with Scott Norton. Pat Tanaka from ECW had a match with Konnan and yet again the Cruiserweight match was the best match on the card.

Sting vs Steven Regal was good tho.
    Fucking Mongo. Honestly, him joining the Horsemen is probably the only thing I like about anything he had to do with wrestling. If that had been any other guy, it would've made him. At least Mongo wasn't the total embarrassment Paul Roma was though.

I just watched SuperBrawl 2, and it's one of the best WCW shows I've ever watched. Great opener between Pillman and Liger, 2 straight sweet ass tag matches, a top notch US Title match, and a solid main event for the WCW title.