Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: WCW Thread

The Brain
    Recently watched Souled Out and Superbrawl '99, and they were surprisingly palatable. Not amazing but better than much of '98. Uncensored is pretty much a mess though. Spring Stampede is supposed to actually be good, so hopefully that'll treat me kindly next!

Squared
    I can't remember without checking, but isn't there a real track record of Uncensored being a mess? Possibly because being up against Wrestlemania there's a real 'make a big noise to grab attention' thing going on, as there usually was but to an nth degree.

If you're up at that point have you got to Piper's Reality Check era yet? I always wanted one of those shirts. Have realised in later years that they're not that difficult and I could have just made my own. Sad times.

I seem to have missed out on some WCW Saturday Night talk...

Sting & Steamboat vs Flair and Austin

The Brain
    Yeah, Uncensored is pretty much across the board the most consistently bad show of the WCW calendar, with the possible exception of World War 3. In '95 you've got Hogan pinning Flair to defeat Vader (somehow?!?), '96 is the Tower of Doom, '97 is the exception, '98 is where they completely give up on Sting and run the incredibly stale Hogan/Savage cage match, '99 is the disastrous Hogan/Flair double turn. Haven't watched '00 yet but it features Sid vs. Jarrett and the infamous Yappapi Indian Strap Match between Flair and Hogan (AGAIN).

Haven't seen Piper doing any "Reality Check" shtick but it's hard to imagine I will enjoy it. Piper in WCW was good for 2 or 3 months but he has become unbelievably dire the longer he hangs around, legitimately one of the worst people to watch wrestle, and even his talking has badly degraded as he rarely has anything meaningful to say and just spouts nonsense.

Ollie, that is an excellent tag match!!

Squared
    You've got me interested and I'm rewatching the infamous first Nitro of 1999. It wasn't too bad until Goldberg was arrested, but man that's an awful fucking segment. Not only a bad idea, but Goldberg looks like such a fucking dick, saying 'I do nothing but good for this city, all the stuff I do for the cops and the kids, so you can't take me in'. Seems that Roman Reigns and John Cena aren't the only babyfaces to be written as total pricks, huh?

The Brain
    Segments like that did as much damage to Goldberg as the loss at Starrcade and the actual Fingerpoke segment. He looks like an absolute asshat, does he not? Far cry from Austin getting arrested.

Squared
    He does. And it's so out of keeping with the rest of the WCW show. We're going to be more real than the WWF, and yet our cameras our going to follow Goldberg to the police station, and they are going to be in the room while the police talk to Elizabeth who is supposed to be the complainant? It's just so incongruous with what they're doing elsewhere on the show.

I miss the Monday Night Wars ��

Squared
    Yeah, me too. Though it's appropriate enough here, I preferred WCW for a lot of that period. WWF all got a bit too crazy for me through the end of 1998 and definitely through 1999. That may because I'd lost my access to WCW through their worst excesses that came later, so I only have the better memories for the most part, while I saw plenty of ridiculous or unexplained stuff on RAW.

The Brain
    I think the MNW period is overrated in some respects, but there was a certain energy that's hard to recreate these days.

One of the more subtle points that damned WCW ultimately was the weird way their cameras suddenly turned into magical floating eyes in the last couple years. Cameras would suddenly be in places that made no sense and scenes would be filmed with no sense of perspective, and there was no sense of consistency between who was supposed to be able to see what. That kind of stuff matters on an almost subconscious level. It seemed to start when Nash assumed power so I can only assume he wanted to go for more of a "TV feel" as opposed to the traditional faux sports formats, but the result is a complete hash. WWE has fallen into that pit at times too but it was especially pronounced by WCW in that era.

Squared
    I guess you already know I hate that, when there's a fourth wall there sometimes but not others. WWF do it a lot under Russo, too, and though the production values are better it bothers me just as much.

While I miss the wars, I don't actually miss it anymore than I miss the period before it. It's just that is sort of the time that marked the end, in many ways, of the kind of stuff that I do miss.

Anyway... I'm not sure what turning Lex Luger with Nash et al was supposed to achieve. Sure, he was better as a villain in his best days for WCW, but at this point he was a popular guy, and he'd always been on the other side from Hogan. Just one of those things that doesn't work on the face of it. Maybe I'm forgetting the reasoning though, will have to keep watching.

Squared
    Dunno if it is really worth bumping for this, but just had to explain to the Mrs about Judy Bagwell on a pole.

How does that even come up? lol

Squared
    The recent guitar on a pole, explaining the general idea, then you mention the wacky examples and that becomes a whole thing.

The Brain
    Just recently watch the Bagwell/Piper boxing match from Bash at the Beach '99, which includes Judy chasing Flair around the ring and biting Piper's ear before putting a bucket on his head. Absolutely baffling.

Squared
    1999 was a weird year all round for wrestling.

I remember the Cruiserweight title being a real bright spot through late 1998 and 1999. Until Lenny Lane, anyway. Though I probably need to rewatch it to see if it all holds up. I know a lot of the Kidman stuff from the beginning of the run is still great.