Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Puroresu General Discussion

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that Okada vs. Omega ends in another 30-minute draw with Omega looking like he almost got the win. My logic is that match #1 went 46 minutes and match #2 went 60 minutes, and since the time limit for the G1 matches are 30 minutes it'll make the story that these men need more time than that. If not a draw, I'm leaning towards an Omega win but probably a clean victory to set up the next chapter. Just my wild theories.

There's a lot of potential good matchups in both blocks. In Block A, I'm curious how Ibushi and Zack Sabre Jr. will fair, and in Block B besides the obvious Okada / Omega rematch I'm looking forward to some Minoru Suzuki matchups (the rematch vs. Okada, vs. Omega, Elgin, etc.). Really looking forward to the full schedule of matches tonight to see what Osaka will be getting.

The Brain
    You're going August 6, right? Looks like it'll be a B Block show, headlined by Satoshi Kojima vs. SANADA and Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL. Not the most exciting draw, but maybe you'll get a hidden gem on the card.

The hidden gem will be the two matches you just listed mizfan. Kojima is quietly still quite good, EVIL and SANADA have impressed in singles matches this year and Okada is Okada. Both those matches will rule and Degenerate is lucky as hell to get to see them!

Now as for the whole G1, I have to believe that it's Kenny's to lose (again) and the reason he and Ibushi aren't on the same block is because they're colliding in the finals. I hear everyone saying that it's going to be or should be Naito's year (I honestly don't know who else could win this aside from him, Omega and Okada), but as good as that guy is, going with something that isn't Omega-Okada: The Final Chapter at Wrestle Kingdom just seems like a cop out. So to me it's pretty simple. Omega and Okada walk into their match on the final day of Block B tied (and they are scheduled for the final day for those interested). Omega finally gets the win but with a twist; the Bullet Club helps him win against his wishes. I don't know how many have noticed, but Omega has made it perfectly clear he wants to be the one to beat Okada cleanly for the title (which both AJ and Naito failed to do) and there have been subtle teases that the Bullet Club and Elite may have some tension between them. I say the Bullet Club helps Kenny beat Okada against his wishes, Omega then beats Ibushi in the finals and we get the set up for Omega-Okada IV, with Omega still being motivated to beat Okada cleanly and win the title. Omega can then feud with the Bullet Club in the next few months after the officially have a falling out, Okada defends against the other guys in the G1 and on the way we are to Wrestle Kingdom.

The Brain
    If you say so Cult! I've liked Okada and SANADA a lot this year, but to me Kojima and EVIL have been just ok, nothing too special. But we shall see!

I can definitely see your G1 scenario playing out. I'm torn on whether I like the sound of it more than a Naito victory, or Omega winning clean to show that he CAN do it and create intrigue that way. They do seem to be heading for some kind of BC split, which I'm not crazy about but seems inevitable. Lots of moving pieces will make this one interesting.

in New Japan, Bullet club is a thing in name only really, it sells merch but they have it focused on Kenny and the bucks.. the problem i see with a potential feud is you're not going to turn the Bucks against Kenny..... because that would mean Cody would become the leader.. a leader of a group while he's not even in the G1.. I could see a split but not really feud because they simply don't have a suitable replacement imo.

The Brain
    Split could happen after G1. I assume the only reason Cody is not in is because he was about to become ROH champion and they didn't want him set in stone for so many dates. Omega and the Bucks are already every nearly a separate entity, so if they peel off and the rest of BC stays with Cody, it could be something. Not saying it will, but some signs point to the possibility, like Cody trying to quit on Omega's behalf in their second match and the Bucks stopping him.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    If you say so Cult! I've liked Okada and SANADA a lot this year, but to me Kojima and EVIL have been just ok, nothing too special. But we shall see!
    I can get thinking Kojima's just been alright considering he's basically been working tag matches with a dude who can barely move. But how can you not be impressed with EVIL?! He's had two really good singles matches with Tanahashi already and he's generally a big part of the best match every night when LIJ takes on Taguchi Japan. I don't think he has the talent of SANADA (who I think could be a HUGE star someday), but he's very good and I think could wind up having a really good G1.

As for the Bullet Club breakup, all you need to do is kick Kenny and the Bucks out and you're good. Yes you're taking away the three best guys in the group, but Cody is good enough that Omega will get great matches out of him (and that is the obvious singles feud), the Guerillas of Destiny are good enough to hang with the Bucks and Marty Scurll, despite being the most overrated performer not named Finn Balor alive, is someone who could also contribute heavily. Throw in a few more pieces and you've got a feud that will carry Kenny to Wrestle Kingdom where New Japan can go with Omega-Okada IV. You just need to have the right start, and the right start is the Bullet Club helping Kenny beat Okada in the G1 against his wishes. He's made it clear he wants to be the first to beat Okada clean for the title, so the Bullet Club helping him beat Okada (even in a non title match) would be something that a) protects a clean Omega win over Okada for a bigger stage and b) serves as motivation for the Elite to severe ties with their former pals. Put it all together and that's the best way to go if you're doing Omega-Okada in the dome, with Omega finally getting the win he's been after.

I think Okada/Omega IV wil happen in Oct/Nov and they have Naito in the background waiting for the winner.

Naito Tanahashi IV doesn't need to happen at WK next year and if you don't do that, and don't have Naito win back the IC title, what the hell do you do with him?

Tanahashi isn't the long term IC champion, especially since his bicep is basically hanging on by a thread. I expect he'll drop the belt again in a couple of months, the belt eventually gets back to Naito and Naito will defend it at Wrestle Kingdom. I wouldn't be opposed to Naito getting his shot this year, but at the same token Naito is so over that it's not going to hurt him to wait another year and as of right now he may be more reliable elevating the Intercontinental Title the same way Nakamura did. Furthermore, Omega vs. Okada has become such a massive feud (whether you thought each match was six stars or not) that to end it anywhere else other than Wrestle Kingdom with Kenny finally winning the title seems like a huge missed opportunity. As such, I don't see any harm in Naito getting the Intercontinental Title back, defending it against an Ibushi or Ishii, then winning the G1 next year and going to Wrestle Kingdom. His time will come; it's just not now.

I know I'll enjoy the Osaka event, but I'm not overly excited with those top two matches announced. I guess I was spoiled by last year's show, with a solid Tanahashi vs. Marufuji match in the main event which had to follow the 5-star Okada vs. Ishii show-stealer. I don't think anyone was expecting Okada vs. Ishii to be as amazing as it was, so I'll hold out hope for another unexpected gem this year.

I'm still have difficulty envisioning who will win the whole thing. Okada, Omega and Naito are the only talked-about names, and each one winning will have its good and bad issues between now and January 4th. I wouldn't mind any of these three winning right now. I don't even know if there's a "dark horse" pick outside of those three.

if Shibata was still around i could have seen an outside chance for him,... everyone else is just too soon and that's not how NJPW books, they're not going to give SANADA the out of nowhere push.

Of course, the fly in the ointment is whether or not NJPW decide to pull the trigger on Cody taking the title from Okada next weekend. Whilst Omega has wanted to win over Okada clean, as Cult has said, I don't think Cody gives two hoots about that in character terms.

That could throw this whole tournament in a very different storytelling direction, with Okada now motivated to win and earn a rematch against Cody, Omega pissed off because his stablemate got the win over Okada before he did and wanting to prove himself to really be 'The Elite'.

I'd quite like to see both Okada and Omega go unbeaten until their match, if that was the story they wanted to tell.

I doubt, very strongly, that NJPW is either going to put the belt on Cody or headline WK12 with Cody as champion, but if they really want to open up the US market to them it wouldn't be a completely mad move given the cache that Cody, and the Rhodes name, holds.

Either way, you still get the same clutch of guys pushing for the win in the end, just with different motivations for two of them.

There's zero chance Cody wins the title.

The Brain
    I was gonna say, I'd say Toru Yano is more likely to win the belt than Cody.

Deg!! I saw that Elgin/Suzuki is also on the Osaka card!!! There's your potential gem, that might be the most interesting match in the whole B Block to me.

I'm psyched about that Elgin vs. Suzuki match. I was waiting to see who Suzuki would be facing since I just dig that guy's work so much, so I'm pleased to see this. Elgin is pretty over with the Osaka crowd based on the times I've seen him there. So there's potential for some goodness there. Everything else I'm sure will be fine and I'll enjoy seeing it.

Cody should have at least a 1% chance of winning the belt, right? Bah, who am I kidding...

Cody is not main eventing the tokyo dome and so he'd have to lose the title before then and that only works if you want Omega as champ who then will likely lose it to Okada at WK anyway.

Its a small chance but like Okada hasn't broken the single reign record yet... and i also think a match with Cody won't come close to anything we've seen before... it would be such WWE booking. While Gedo and Jado like WWE, i don't see them putting the title on Cody just to shock people.

The fact that Cody wasn't put in the G1 tells you all you need to know about his chances against Okada. I think it'll end up being a better than expected match that may help Cody's reputation at the end of the day, but that's it. I truly think his role is going to end up being something along the lines of him screwing over Okada to help Kenny win the G1 match, Kenny reacting badly because he wanted to beat Okada cleanly, and the two of them then feuding over the G1 briefcase September through November before the Wrestle Kingdom push is set to begin.

SPOILERS below (highlight to see):

Sabre Jr just beat the ace!

Not that surprising to me. The G1 is where you're gonna get upsets to make math work. Plus you want to put over new talent as a threat.

The Brain
    Still, I wasn't sure how much they'd see in Sabre. I thought he'd do respectably well but that's a big star to go over. I don't think it will change the final composition but still, I was surprised. Though perhaps I'm naive to the deeper workings of G1.

Well, to put someone like him in the G1 at all was surprising to me so i thought they would give him a big win. I don't see him getting much more than that.

I thought he'd win the match; I didn't think he'd make Tanahashi tap though. I was expecting Sabre to the arm to death, almost get Tanahashi to tap and then pull it out cause Tanahashi was too hurt. Honestly this way was much better; even if Sabre doesn't win another match this is big enough that it'll hold him over for awhile. The only downside for him was that he came before that masterpiece Ibushi and Naito put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I thought he'd win the match; I didn't think he'd make Tanahashi tap though. I was expecting Sabre to the arm to death, almost get Tanahashi to tap and then pull it out cause Tanahashi was too hurt. Honestly this way was much better; even if Sabre doesn't win another match this is big enough that it'll hold him over for awhile. The only downside for him was that he came before that masterpiece Ibushi and Naito put together.
    Still got Ibushi vs Naito to watch, but I have heard and seen nothing but good things about it.

I'm really hoping this leads to a high profile IC bout for ZSJ.