Thread: NJPW G1 2017

NJPW G1 2017

SPOILERS below (highlight to see):

Sabre Jr just beat the ace!

The Brain
    WOW, I can definitely say I was not expecting that.

Not that surprising to me. The G1 is where you're gonna get upsets to make math work. Plus you want to put over new talent as a threat.

The Brain
    Still, I wasn't sure how much they'd see in Sabre. I thought he'd do respectably well but that's a big star to go over. I don't think it will change the final composition but still, I was surprised. Though perhaps I'm naive to the deeper workings of G1.

Well, to put someone like him in the G1 at all was surprising to me so i thought they would give him a big win. I don't see him getting much more than that.

I thought he'd win the match; I didn't think he'd make Tanahashi tap though. I was expecting Sabre to the arm to death, almost get Tanahashi to tap and then pull it out cause Tanahashi was too hurt. Honestly this way was much better; even if Sabre doesn't win another match this is big enough that it'll hold him over for awhile. The only downside for him was that he came before that masterpiece Ibushi and Naito put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I thought he'd win the match; I didn't think he'd make Tanahashi tap though. I was expecting Sabre to the arm to death, almost get Tanahashi to tap and then pull it out cause Tanahashi was too hurt. Honestly this way was much better; even if Sabre doesn't win another match this is big enough that it'll hold him over for awhile. The only downside for him was that he came before that masterpiece Ibushi and Naito put together.
    Still got Ibushi vs Naito to watch, but I have heard and seen nothing but good things about it.

I'm really hoping this leads to a high profile IC bout for ZSJ.

I'm a bit wary of jinxing it but - has any wrestler ever gone through their G1 block unbeaten?

Okada is a win against EVIL, Suzuki, and Omega away from doing it. My guess is that he beats the first two with Omega remaining unbeaten from now until their final match, leaving Kenny needing a win when the two meet in order to progress through. Wouldn't bet against that happening right now, and Omega progressing on head to head (I think that's how it works?)

I'm behind on Block A watching by about three shows - Block B seems to have at least one bout a night so far that has made me want to prioritise watching it over Block A from the day before.

Anything good I should definitely catch?

Been really enjoying Juice's showing this year, by the way. Somewhat stunned to see CJ Parker doing so well.

I did a quick search since I was also curious, and it turns out there have been four people to go through their block without a loss, with two of them losing in the finals:

- Riki Choshu in 1996 (won the G1)
    - Kazuyuki Fujita in 2005 (lost in the finals to Masahiro Chono)
    - Hiroyoshi Tenzan in 2006 (won the G1)
    - Shinsuke Nakamura in 2009 (lost in the finals to Togi Makabe)

I'm not sure what you have or haven't seen, but for the last couple week or so I would say the following matches are good watching:

- Elgin vs. Omega
    - Tanahashi vs. Goto / Ibushi
    - Okada vs. SANADA / Kojima / Juice
    - Ishii vs. Naito / Nagata

In other news, EVIL was knocked the fuck out by one of Omega's knees last night and was rumored to be taken to a hospital afterwards but he seems to be fine. I have to wonder how roughed up everyone feels towards the end of the tournament after this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I'm a bit wary of jinxing it but - has any wrestler ever gone through their G1 block?
    Sorry, Kaz.

Now we know who to blame. Although I don't think anyone's upset. Certainly not the Osaka crowd - that was one hell of a pop that EVIL received when he nailed his finisher and got the pin.

I guess Suzuki, Omega and Okada needed challengers for their respective championships.

I was fine with the upsets but that's not why they need to do it, for challengers, most regular times people just come out and challege someone.. its not very complex, Okada finishes a show and then he's attacked. that's your next match..

Although losing to EVIL, sorta makes it obvious that Naito is winning the G1 and facing Okada at WK after Okada beats EVIL at KOPW

My comment was more tongue-in-cheek since I know they don't need to beat them in a non-title bout. If that were the case, Ishii would have gotten an automatic title shot after beating Okada clean at last year's G1. Well, he should get one since I'd love to see that match, but I digress. I'm just speculating that eventually Elgin, Juice and EVIL will get high-profile matches against the guys they beat. There are plenty of shows between now and Wrestle Kingdom that need to be booked, so it'll make sense to get something in there.

I'm kind of bummed that Ibushi is officially eliminated from getting to the finals. I still hold hope that Omega vs. Ibushi will happen down the road, and soon.

I get it, its just you hear people say oh so and so has to lose in the G1 to setup future matches when New Japan only books like that at the G1 lol... tbh, i would have preferred Okada running the table and then have someone, anyone attack him to setup title matches.. To go this long, in this many G1 Matches undefeated would have been incredible.

Oh and Ishii is techianlly in the same group as Okada and they don't like making friends fight for the top title.

I wish Ishii could have a short IWGP run though. he's been one of the best over the last 2 years at least i'd say.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 08-07-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Yeah, I'm sad about Ibushi too - really thought they would have him in with a chance on the final night. As it stands, there's now only Tana vs Naito to get invested in. First time in ages I can remember a block coming down to just one match on the final night for it, unless I'm much mistaken. Always seem to find myself checking the tables after each bout on the final night, but I don't think I'll have to do that this year - unless they have Evil beat both Elgin and Kojima to keep up his interest. But either way, the winner of Okada vs Omega will progress - if Omega wins he wins a three way head to head 2-1-0, if Okada wins he out-points everyone. Unless, of course, we get some additional kinks tomorrow...

I predict an Omega/Naito final with Naito winning. that way you could do two title defenses for Okada before WK or hold off on the Omega one and plan to run Naito/Okada at WK where Naito wins.

Do Omega/Ibushi at WK and if Omega resigns with New Japan, make him champ post WK

OK, I was not expecting an Okada/Suzuki draw. So the maths in Block B is now easy - Omega wins, he goes through. Anything else, Okada reaches the final. EVIL is out.

Block A's just finishing up - Tana vs Naito for the final spot headlining.

Part of me wants to see a Tana/Okada final, but really I want Naito/Omega.

Am I right in thinking that someone (Meltzer?) previously said that there were three planned Omega/Okada matches for 2017 - meaning that we likely won't get to see them go at it again until 2018 unless they've changed their booking plans?

Oh, and throughout this tournament I've realised how much I miss Shibata
    Last edited by Oliver; 08-11-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Wrestling isn't the same without him, Ollie.