Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-NJPW Puroresu General Discussion

That match was fantastic. The psychology and facial expressions alone were worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    . Interested to see what we get with Anderson and Styles, too - the leader of Bullet Club against one of the members but who holds the IWGP title. Will the champ lie down for his leader, or will he have to put up a fight? I'm sure the fans won't buy some finger poke of doom bullshit, so I wonder if we're going to see some tension and a hard fought match (like Smith and Benjamin)
    AJ Styles vs. Karl Anderson

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...anderson_sport

If you still have heat for the fingerpoke of doom you might not like it

Guess what I got in the mail today!

http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/prom...-original.html

Bonus : AJ styles carrying Lance Hoyt (Archer) to the best match of his career.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...j-styles_sport

Give a listen to MLW radio's Talkin' Shop http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/talkn-sho...icochet-part-2

Im watching Night 9 of the G1, Honma is over as fuck and he has Zero points. Zero. thats really impressive booking, I hope NJPW takes note.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 08-05-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Oliver
    I'm trying to work out who I think is better at just beating the shit out of someone in NJPW right now, Suzuki or Shibata. I bloody love Shibata, but Suzuki beating people up is consistently incredible to me.

Need to catch up on a couple of days worth of G1 at the moment, lagging behind on the shows from the weekend.

EDIT: If Suzuki vs Styles doesn't win MOTY, I will struggle to understand why. That match is straight up killer.

By my reckoning, we're left with a final that will be Tanahashi, Nakamura or Fale against Okada or Styles. Shibata could end up on 14 points in Block A, but to do so he'd need Fale to beat Nakamura, meaning he would have 14 points too and qualify above Shibata regardless of what happened in his match against Gallows. If Tanahashi wins his next match, he wins the block - Nakamura needs to win and for Tanahashi to lose. For Block B, Okada wins against Suzuki and he's through - if not, Styles has to beat Makabe.

I'd take any of them against the other except Fale - I just can't see that ending the tournament on a good note. Tanahashi vs Okada for the first time in 10 months would be nice, but I've a sneaking suspicion this whole thing has been booked for a Styles/Tanahashi final, with the gaijin going over to cement him as a top guy in the company.
    Last edited by Oliver; 08-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.

By my reckoning, we're left with a final that will be Tanahashi, Nakamura or Fale against Okada or Styles. Shibata could end up on 14 points in Block A, but to do so he'd need Fale to beat Nakamura, meaning he would have 14 points too and qualify above Shibata regardless of what happened in his match against Gallows. If Tanahashi wins his next match, he wins the block - Nakamura needs to win and for Tanahashi to lose. For Block B, Okada wins against Suzuki and he's through - if not, Styles has to beat Makabe.

I'd take any of them against the other except Fale - I just can't see that ending the tournament on a good note. Tanahashi vs Okada for the first time in 10 months would be nice, but I've a sneaking suspicion this whole thing has been booked for a Styles/Tanahashi final, with the gaijin going over to cement him as a top guy in the company.
    I want Styles/Tanahashi. Im ok with Okada vs Tanahashi if Tanahashi wins leading to Styles vs Tanahashi for the title. I feel like this whole story is leading up to Tanahashi winning the G1 over Styles but will lose clean when going for the title.

Styles has great heat but The Bullet Club is getting some of those NWO style pops/comedy pops.

Karl Anderson has had no problem doing the job. I think Fale is getting such a push because he is the only Bullet Club boy to come out of the Dojo.

HONMA-MANIA is here. Tomoaki Honma is over in New Japan, not bad for a Big Japan garbage wrestler turned Zero1 vet. He got the best match out of Bad Luck Fale in the tournament. He also had a great match against Katsuyori Shibata.

In fact here :

Katsuyori Shibata vs Tomoaki Honma
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...ki-honma_sport

Bonus
    Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12...08-04-13_sport

If you like stiff matches ...
    Last edited by Irishsara; 08-07-2014 at 09:53 PM.

SPOILER IF YOU DONT KNOW THE G1 FINAL YET

So Nakamura vs. Okada in the G1 final and Tanahashi vs. Styles in the third place match.

Undercard is pretty underwhelming. I doubt they'll fill the Seibu Dome in two days but they're going for broke with the main event. Either could win and headline the Tokyo Dome.

Bullet Club has jumped the shark. Jeff Jarrett has joined. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Bullet Club has jumped the shark. Jeff Jarrett has joined. Ugh.
    AJ has a history with the guy. Ill allow it. He was an established member of the New World Order. He fits the cocky gaijin feel of the group. Hell, Im just glad Rocky and Alex Shelley arent members yet (tho I think its coming if Shelly and Sabin get back together in Japan)

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    AJ has a history with the guy. Ill allow it. He was an established member of the New World Order. He fits the cocky gaijin feel of the group. Hell, Im just glad Rocky and Alex Shelley arent members yet (tho I think its coming if Shelly and Sabin get back together in Japan)
    Don't disagree with you that he makes sense, to an extent. Saying he's an established member of the nWo is laughable though. If the only iteration you're in is nWo 2000, that doesn't count. Otherwise Major Gunns is an established member.

Fuck Jeff Jarrett.. Not for the past but because this will go nowhere good for New Japan like the NWA shit the last few years. We don't even know what Jarrett is really doing with GFW and for some reason, NJPW feels the need to help him out. No one will care.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Don't disagree with you that he makes sense, to an extent. Saying he's an established member of the nWo is laughable though. If the only iteration you're in is nWo 2000, that doesn't count. Otherwise Major Gunns is an established member.
    For me, being in a group called the NWO with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. Personally, id say that counts. Jeff has been a heel in Japan since 2002.

I'm pretty sure Jeff is in "The Bullet Club" like Rey Bucanero is in the Bullet Club.

Oliver
    Aww man, Jarrett in Bullet Club is fucking stupid. Absolutely motherfucking stupid decision to have him in the group, whether he's there as an active member or not. Fucking guy thinks he's main event when he's nothing but a good hand in the midcard at best, and on his worst day he shouldn't even be in a fucking ring. Don't give a shit if he's a 'good fit' or not, guy is already 15 years past a prime that was nothing better than fucking average. Does nothing to help the stable at all. At this stage, I'm out on Bullet Club - they nearly lost me with Styles but just about pulled me back in. This has me running six hundred miles in the opposite direction. Then again, I can't fully get behind anything that involves the Young Bucks. Daft pieces of shit go and learn how to throw their legs up high while slapping their thighs and roll around a ring a bit and start calling themselves professional wrestlers.

Aww man, Jarrett in Bullet Club is fucking stupid. Absolutely motherfucking stupid decision to have him in the group, whether he's there as an active member or not. Fucking guy thinks he's main event when he's nothing but a good hand in the midcard at best, and on his worst day he shouldn't even be in a fucking ring. Don't give a shit if he's a 'good fit' or not, guy is already 15 years past a prime that was nothing better than fucking average. Does nothing to help the stable at all. At this stage, I'm out on Bullet Club - they nearly lost me with Styles but just about pulled me back in. This has me running six hundred miles in the opposite direction. Then again, I can't fully get behind anything that involves the Young Bucks. Daft pieces of shit go and learn how to throw their legs up high while slapping their thighs and roll around a ring a bit and start calling themselves professional wrestlers.
    Isnt that the point of the bullet club? I mean other than Famous Hoot Karl Anderson is there a single true main eventer? Even when Devitt was calling himself the leader of the bullet club was he a show closing star? Can you honestly say Fale, Tama, The Bucks, Luke Gallows top guys? I dont think the Club is a main event stable. Oh wait I forgot about former No Limit member Yujiro Takahashi. Dont get me wrong, If Jeff starts calling himself the godfather of the Bullet Club ill beat him with a belt myself. A former multi-time title holder in the eyes of japan gives it a bit of a rub. Does it not make sense for Jarrett to ally himself with AJ styles (who is probably going to be the top guy in Jeff's new fed) What else do you think an established gajin heel is going to do in japan? Jeff Jarrett has been a heel a long time in japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7TDllJzd1w

Oh and the young bucks are slowly winning me over. There japanese stuff is better than most of their stateside stuff.

Also on a G-1 related side note - Honma didnt win a SINGLE G1 MATCH!! WTF.

Honma never wins. He wins a big singles match at the Tokyo dome imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    Honma never wins. He wins a big singles match at the Tokyo dome imo.
    I dont understand his crowd reaction. He is SO over and i havent the slightest idea why. Its kinda cool to watch.

He does his headbutt schitck very well and he's a pretty good seller. Reminds me of a lesser Ishii.

He does his headbutt schitck very well and he's a pretty good seller. Reminds me of a lesser Ishii.
    So you think its cuz he can take a legit beating (something Ishii is surprisingly good at)?

I dunno if it was the crowd reaction but I kinda got this everyman Dreamer feel from him. I liked it. It won me over. He was even drawing face pops against guys who were clearly supposed to be bigger stars then him. I loved it.

Have you listened to MLW's talking shop special G1 episode? (I dont think it was that good, but its Anderson and Gallows telling stories and hanging out)

Edit: One more thing on Jeff Jarrett. Are there guys who I think are better groomed for a spot as the aging heel on the Bullet Club? yeah But CM Punk isnt walking through that door. Scott Hall aint walking through that door. Kevin Nash aint walking through that door. Steve Corino aint walking through that door and if if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. Those guys are killing themselves for legitimacy. Jeff is hungry for the rub but it benefits him to give the rub too. I know what Jeff is and what he isnt. But there isnt room for two gaijin heel stables in NJPW. Sure Jeff is trying to steal some stardust off the Bullet Club but so are the Young Bucks.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 08-13-2014 at 04:21 AM.

Oliver
    I think Honma's over because he can take a beating, make it look good, and then rally to pop the crowd. That, and he's naturally sympathetic - I feel sympathy for him without knowing what the commentary team are saying and such. Hell, I wanted to see him win his last G1 match so badly it hurt when he lost.

Having cooled slightly on it, I can be a mite more objective about Jarrett - he's still shit, but I can see why he should be in Bullet Club if he's going to be involved in NJPW in any way. I agree with you, Sara, that they're not main event (although with Styles in there, it's debatable). However, I don't think Bullet Club needs him - they were just starting to work with the AJ introduction and now have thrown another guy in there to change the dynamic. They were becoming legitimate through their booking, the whole G1 was pretty much focussed around showing AJ to be a big time force in NJPW (only losing two matches, plus having the Tanahashi bout on finals night), and then they add in this chump. The Club were getting over without him, and would have continued to be fine without him. This whiffs of Jarrett pulling for some booking to put him in the limelight when he starts GFW.

I'm also cynical enough to expect this to turn into Jarrett vs Tanahashi headlining one of the early GFW shows.

Think of the Bullet Club like Evolution or The Dangerous Alliance in WCW.

You have a legit credible enforcer in Fale kind of like Arn or Dave Batista.

You have the established talent Rick Rude/HHH in Karl Anderson (Famous Hoot)

You have the established tag hands like "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton in Bucks/Luke Gallows

I see Jeff Jarret as Larry Zbyszko at worst and a JJ Dillion type at best. (I wouldnt mind seeing him with Luke Gallows as his enforcer and tag partner)

Also ROH had a pretty good showing at the finals of the G1

Edit: I just rewatched the G1 Final. I changed my mind. Jarrett's and AJ's relationship is what makes this make sense. Jeff is AJ's man.

Lol I love this clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

10 seconds that perfectly explains the Bucks heat in Japan.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 08-24-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Well that was fun while it lasted.

AJ Styles vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP World Title At King of Pro Wrestling from Kokugikan Hall
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27...10-12-14_sport
    163 days

Also Jeff Jarrett is calling himself the Chairman of the Bullet Club. Seriously. What the FUCK does that mean? I think Machine Gun should give him the Stungun right now.

Also, good to see a returning face in that match.

AJ couldn't main event the Tokyo dome so they went with Tanahashi/Okada. Safe booking but kinda of a shame cause I've been loving AJ's work this year.

AJ couldn't main event the Tokyo dome so they went with Tanahashi/Okada. Safe booking but kinda of a shame cause I've been loving AJ's work this year.
    Honestly? AJ Styles vs Hiroshi Tanahashi couldnt sell out Kokugikan Hall. Id worry too. The problem is that they shoved AJ to the title because they lost Devitt/Finn. I believe Devitt would have been a much better draw.

I believe they are going to turn Tanahashi Heel. Compared to the Club tho? he will be a tweener.

catched up New Japan on AXS, it was good showing by them to pick up an tv deal. Maybe, they'll be live shows.

Quote Originally Posted by tallmuslim14 View Post
    catched up New Japan on AXS, it was good showing by them to pick up an tv deal. Maybe, they'll be live shows.
    From what ive read, the objective is to eventually catch up to the main event product and have it be more like a review show where you show a couple of matches and storylines.I dont think the plan is live shows. Perhaps as a platform for promoting the PPVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    From what ive read, the objective is to eventually catch up to the main event product and have it be more like a review show where you show a couple of matches and storylines.I dont think the plan is live shows. Perhaps as a platform for promoting the PPVs.
    Even then, that's weird. I don't see why they should tape shows one day and rival Raw. Another Monday night war is just what we've needed (hoothoot)

Quote Originally Posted by tallmuslim14 View Post
    Even then, that's weird. I don't see why they should tape shows one day and rival Raw. Another Monday night war is just what we've needed (hoothoot)
    I think the show actually works great for what it does. It is a great gateway to New Japan. I hope they don't go with a tv show live to tape weekly. I hope that eventually they do full time English commentary on New Japan World and everyone buys it from them directly. I like the axs tv show because it treats ir like a sport. It's something lacking in the WWE.

Reality Champ
    The finish to Okada/AJ was legitimately beautiful.

I was watching live and fell asleep.. need to find a link lol

AJ is nearing 40 and he is better than he has ever been. Okada was amazing. The match was great.

http://giant.gfycat.com/EmbarrassedCarefulBushbaby.webm The finishing segment.

Id love Jarrett to throw a real title on AJ. Even if it's not the Global title (or whatever hes going to call it) Id love to see AJ get either the NWA World title or the IWGP Intercontinental title. AJ is such a talent.

I'll post the match (and probably the tag match) when i find it. Here is AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZ_VZH0xsw

that match is some serious King's Road shit.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 07-07-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Day one of the G1 was this morning and the last two matches, Shibata/Styles and Tana/Ibushi brought it. Some may not like that we don't have more G1 matches on the cards but I love it. Gives time to those bigger matches in the blocks.

The Brain
    This is slightly back, but Shibata/Sakuraba back at Dominion was a beautiful match, completely stole the show for me with about half the time of the bigger bouts (which were also quite good).

>caring about G1 Day 1 when KOBE WORLD PRO WRESTLING FESTIVAL 2015 happened the same day

From what I watched (and heard), NJPW had two excellent matches while DG had at least four (Dangan Hawk vs. Big Hulk tag match was mildly underwhelming). When that show comes out, y'all need to watch it. The four title matches were great, with Tozawa v. Eita and Yoshino v. T-Hawk being standouts for wrestling, YAMADoi v. Sydochet being a great tag team match, and Veterans v. Jimmyz v. Dia.HEARTS being an incredible 'goofy antics' performance. Check 'em out.

Yeah I'm just not into DG that way. its one of those things where I need breaks from the style.. I haven't watched DG consistantly so didn't feel the need to watch it live. Gonna watch it tomorrow though.

If Shibata isn't the best pro wrestler in the World right now, I don't know who is.

The Brain
    If Shibata isn't the best pro wrestler in the World right now, I don't know who is.
    I would take Nakamura slightly above him, but Shibata is right up there.

AJ is my favorite in New Japan and Tanahashi can still bring it.

So, what do you guys think? with Nakamura injured, (and he was obviously going to win the G1) who do you think will take his place?

Honma-Mania?

Or maybe

Nakmura wasn't obviously going to win.. it was either him or Tanahashi so Okada could have full redemption and I was leaning towards Tana winning. Not nakamura. If Nakamura can't go though (he's still in the tournment wasn't pulled entirely so he could still win) I see okada winning his block and then losing the G1 to Tanahashi.

Nakmura wasn't obviously going to win.. it was either him or Tanahashi so Okada could have full redemption and I was leaning towards Tana winning. Not nakamura. If Nakamura can't go though (he's still in the tournment wasn't pulled entirely so he could still win) I see okada winning his block and then losing the G1 to Tanahashi.
    I think Tanahashi is a good money bet to win his block but I think the winner is coming out of Block B. I hope it's Karl Anderson, he could use the rub. Tanahashi has a G1 Climax win.

You're not giving Anderson the rub to main event Tokyo dome. Its not gonna happen. Tanahashi winning the G1 twice only solidfies him more as a legend but really its more about Okada. Anderson vs. Okada has no story. Nakamura vs. Okada could main event the dome, its a money match but if it's not them, it will be Tana/Okada
    Last edited by Lazyking; 07-29-2015 at 12:47 AM.

This hasn't felt like a really 'classic' G1 Climax for me, yet. Still missing a spark, and we're over halfway through now - it's just been a little bit...average, I guess. Shibata vs Ibushi is probably the match of the tournament to date, but nothing else has really made me sit up and go 'that was awesome'. Hoping for a good run to the finals now.

Tanahashi vs Okada us starting to feel a little bit overdone, for me, but then I think the main events in NJPW are starting to wear me down. They're normally good matches, but when you've only had three champions in four and a half years trading the belt between them...I think it's time for some new blood to take the title. G1 should be great for that, as it allows someone to build up steam and get a series of wins behind them. For me, right now, the Block A favourite is Naito, who has Tenzan, Gallows and Yano coming up - the three bottom ranked guys - with second favourite between Shibata and Styles. Both have matches against Tenzan and Tanahashi left, with Shibata also having Gallows while Styles has Fale. They probably need to win all three to challenge Naito. They've tried with Naito before, but he's now got two things going for him - the Los Ingobernables thing seems to be getting over, and Destino might as well just be called Rainmaker Reversal, as it's pretty obvious that's what it's there for.

I struggle to see anybody but Okada winning Block B - he's still got to face Ishii, who he's tied with, and Nakamura, of course, but I think he'll run out victorious in both of those. Nagata and Takahashi aren't beating him anyway, so he really only needs to beat Ishii to tie up the block.

A Naito win on Block A, with Okada winning Block B, and then Naito taking his second G1 Climax win in the finals to give him a win over the champ and momentum for the next four months heading to the Dome, would be fine. If they pull the trigger on Naito at the dome, it would liven up the main event scene with new blood and be him winning on the biggest stage of all.