Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-NJPW Puroresu General Discussion

Savior4Hire
    Two quick questions for the people that are more into puro than I:

The fist is fairly simple, what is the best way to watch shows from NJPW and NOAH?

One thing I've always liked about puro is that in a massive feud, when one guy can't seem to put the other away, they bust out the "super finisher". I'm familiar with the Burning Hammer, Ganso Bomb, Misawa Driver '91, amd Emerald Flowsion, but what are some others?

Quote Originally Posted by Savior4Hire View Post
    The fist is fairly simple, what is the best way to watch shows from NJPW and NOAH?
    We all have our pet ways. Ive found google is your friend in this kind of thing. Ive paid for it before but ive found if you know what event you are looking for and the name and date it happened (even a match list) its all really findable. You just have to keep up month to month.

Well after Day 1 of the New Japan Cup, my Bracket is all shot to hell. Although, I did have one Bullet Club upset, its not looking good for my Bracket. Tho Nakamura vs. Devitt looks like a hell of a matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Savior4Hire View Post
    Two quick questions for the people that are more into puro than I:

youtube or Dailymotion.. as long as you know the date, I remember the New Japan Ippv in February was up on Dailymotion less then five hours after it ended.

Has anyone else heard that the winner of the New Japan Cup will receive a Money in the bank shot againt either the IWGP Championship, held by Kazuchika Okada, or the IWGP Intercontinental Championship, held by Hiroshi Tanahashi?

So for the rest of the Cup, im actually really excited for Hirooki Goto vs. Minoru Suzuki. It will be hard hitting and really strong. I know Minoru Suzuki is a midcarder but he has the talent. Im still going with Goto to win the match but it should be exciting.

My predictions are

Bad Luck Fale vs. Tetsuya Naito - Bad Luck Fale (Bullet Club 4 Life)
    Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shelton Benjamin - Shibata (I still cannot believe X won that match)
    Hirooki Goto vs. Minoru Suzuki - Goto
    Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Prince Devitt - This is the main event. If Devitt is staying in New Japan, i expect him to go over here. His match against Lance Archer was dominating and it would help Devitt along the way to the Heavyweight ranks. He is arguably one of the most dominating juniors in New Japan history. If Devitt loses I hope this leads to Shinsuke Nakamura vs Hiroshi Tanahashi. Nakamura has had a lot of trouble against Tanahashi. So its a bit more of a tossup but im hoping for Fergal Devitt (the Prince is Dead and Devitt is REAL)
    Last edited by Irishsara; 03-22-2014 at 12:51 AM.

Oliver
    Without wanting to spoil it - surprised by the winner of the NJC. Interested to see where it goes now.

I don't know why you'd be surprised.. it was either going to be him or one other guy.

Oliver
    I honestly thought they were going to move on from him and the feud - expected him to lose his quarter final, and for his opponent to move on to the semi at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I honestly thought they were going to move on from him and the feud - expected him to lose his quarter final, and for his opponent to move on to the semi at the very least.
    Yeah this thing was booked really crazy. I was really surprised by the second round. Tho I loved most of the tournament matches it was a shame that Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Prince Devitt wasnt given enough time. I wish they had dropped one of the multi man matches from earlier. Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shelton X. Benjamin was shocking. Tetsuya Naito vs. Bad Luck Fale shows how much Fale has grown as a big man. He might be limited by Japanese standards but he has solid big man work. Fale's Boarder toss thing looks a lot safer than Hernandez but it still looks really devastating. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Prince Devitt had great psychology but I think i needed more time to develop. I prefer the first round to the quarterfinals.

On a side note, is Minoru Suzuki hurt?

Now off to watch the semi-finals/finals

This is cool? - Japanese Wrestling Roundtable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezgxojtnfIU

Devitt ... New Japan Pro Wrestling has announced that Prince Devitt vs. Ryusuke Taguchi in a Loser Leaves Town match for next Sunday, April 6th at their Invasion Attack 2014 internet pay-per-view from Tokyo ... So, that probably means Ill probably have to start fearing for a Devitt/Pac tag team.

The real question is ... WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BULLET CLUB??

Who takes over?

I think New Japan should sign Bully Ray ... OR ... CM Punk, or to see if Machine Gun can maintain the shove.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 03-30-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    The real question is ... WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BULLET CLUB??

Who takes over?
    Shocking reveal at New Japan Invasion Attack. Sarah is unhappy.

Oliver
    A Devitt/Neville tag team wouldn't be a bad thing. At all.

Fuck the new guy, though.

A Devitt/Neville tag team wouldn't be a bad thing. At all.

Fuck the new guy, though.

I want Devitt to be a star on his own two feet (or a member of the Shield).

So, onto Invasion Attack, I know, looking at the card, I thought, Seriously? Repeats of Nakamura/Tanahashi and Ishii/Naito without an Okada singles match ... YAWN. I was super wrong. Its a great card and well worth a watch. Here are the three matches that matter from Invasion Attack (although seek out the IWGP Jr. Tag match with the Bucks because I really liked it and Guns & Gallows's match had a hot finish.)

Prince Devitt vs. Ryusuke Taguchi (Loser Leaves Town ... Yay wrestling Cliches)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIsNw-07wpA

Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI HASHI vs Bad Luck Fale and a badass looking Tama Tonga (Haku's son)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqdNXmfX2Y

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura for the IWGP Intercontinental Title (I know you are like ... AGAIN ... but give it a watch, its really solid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2SeZ0lnR5U

Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    I want Devitt to be a star on his own two feet (or a member of the Shield).
    I think Devitt can start in a tag team just fine and then break out, it's what they've done really effectively with Neville. Plus, a team with Neville will be a great working team - it could be a whole lot worse, they could pair him with one of the many odd guys they have lying around backstage. Equally, I'd love to see him line up to challenge Neville and just make a massive impact. If it's true that he's going to be fast tracked to the main roster, might as well have him do the biggest thing he can before getting there. Have him run as NXT Champion for three or so months after a hot feud with Neville (anything's going to be hotter than the feud with Brodus they're going to be running for the next few weeks) then drop the belt to Zayn.

If Prince Devitt signs with TNA ill Riot (seriously, id have to start watching the product again but id hate myself a little bit for it)

I'm still so sad he lost that match. like crushed. It was cool they kinda did a bullet club breakup by using the Bucks but keeping the door open for a return (because who thinks the bucks have any stroke?)

Ok so seriously for everyone who hasnt seen it yet, i gave you all long enough ...

AJ Styles is your new Bullet Club member.

Devitt was a Jr. who had to fight his way to the main event but AJ Motherfucking STyles gets to do this?

(when I fist saw this in real life, all i could think of was HES DOING IT WRONG - Bullet Club finger gun only has one finger ... Show him Machinegun but hes doing it right in the after photo ... so Karl musta showed him ... im a geek)

He did call Okada a TNA young boy and I kinda liked that but who really thinks that AJ can pull off the entitled Douchbag with Gallows, Gun and the Bucks? I know he cant pull off the Wildman like Tonga or the Big Daddy Cool of Fale (who im starting to come around on ). AJ Styles 80s face whitebread bullshit that they were pushing so hard hurt the gimmick. He seems out of place. I dont think AJ styles fits the gimmick (mind you I probably would have said the same thing about Devitt because he was my binky and used his dad as his tshirt model) . Jado and Gedo have blown the competition out of the water as far as booking goes. I hope they dont regret not pushing for Bully Ray (how much can he be making) Samoa Joe (still not a good choice but better) or Uhaa Nation (tho he might need a gimmick) I mean i guess AJ is a better choice than Hero and a better fit for the style than Steen (who i think is WWE bound and is finishing up his dates )

Is this the correct thread to say how much i hate the styles clash?

I hope Punk ends up doing the occasional Japan Tour and takes over ... wouldnt that be nice

Oliver
    I'm going to give Styles his match with Okada and build up to it to impress me - has he done Japanese tours before? I sort of assume he has but have no idea if that's right or not. I couldn't stand him towards the end of his time in TNA though, his last 24 months or whatever felt like he was on autopilot for me in the ring, even with the gimmick change stuff that came during it. He's so...dull. Like, I feel like if I've seen one Styles match in the past few years I've seen them all. I don't know, maybe this will be different, maybe he's refreshed, maybe he'll just tie up his work boots and Okada will bring him up to a better a level, but right now I'm on the fence.

I'm going to give Styles his match with Okada and build up to it to impress me - has he done Japanese tours before? I sort of assume he has but have no idea if that's right or not. I couldn't stand him towards the end of his time in TNA though, his last 24 months or whatever felt like he was on autopilot for me in the ring, even with the gimmick change stuff that came during it. He's so...dull. Like, I feel like if I've seen one Styles match in the past few years I've seen them all. I don't know, maybe this will be different, maybe he's refreshed, maybe he'll just tie up his work boots and Okada will bring him up to a better a level, but right now I'm on the fence.
    AJ had a couple matches for Pro Wrestling Zero1 when he was still a kid (like 2003ish) He had a couple matches in 2008 for New Japan. I don’t think he ever did a full tour.

Kurt Angle & Nakamura vs Tanahashi & AJ Styles

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a...hashi-aj_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a...hashi-aj_sport

AJ Styles has been dull since Fortune went bad. In 2009-2010, I actually kind of really started to enjoy his work. I hope that the Bullet Club bad assness rubs off on AJ and he stops seeming like such a Whitebread southern 80s face. I wonder if AJ being in New Japan is just cross promotion for the NJPW vs ROH. Maybe he wont be in The Club for long …

I hate his flippy indy bullshit moveset. I feel like if AJ started to get more of a strong style I might really like him.

So with Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin both no longer being with TNA, do you think this leads to a breakup with The Time Splitters and a reunification of the Murder City Machine Guns?

Oliver
    I'd like to see MCMG back together again - Sabin was another one of those guys that got super shitty in his last year or so with TNA, so a reboot with Shelley in Japan would be cool. Although, is Shelley still in NJPW? I don't think I've seen him since February, and the last I heard he was doing a few US dates.

I'd like to see MCMG back together again - Sabin was another one of those guys that got super shitty in his last year or so with TNA, so a reboot with Shelley in Japan would be cool. Although, is Shelley still in NJPW? I don't think I've seen him since February, and the last I heard he was doing a few US dates.
    Shelley is still on the NJPW website and he recently posted this on twitter : Just so we're crystal, my NJPW tag team partner is @KUSHIDA_CANADA. Dude is like my brother and we help each other. My @njpw1972 dream wouldn't be possible without him. I love the Time Splitters and we grow more every year. But @ProjectSabin and I revolutionized tag team wrestling while being told we weren't this or that for years by naysayers. Sabin rules.@KUSHIDA_CANADA is one of the best on the planet. So is @ProjectSabin. I am lucky to have had such amazing partners carry my ass!

KUSHIDA I think would be able to hold his own in a singles run (or even better as part of the group to stablewar with the bullet club) but I'm ok with it.

I know its a double post but this is kind of a big deal ... forgive me?

KENTA is leaving Pro Wrestling NOAH on May 17th. KENTA has been a NOAH guy since the beginning. The rumors in Japan is that after his week long visit to the WWE Performance center earlier this year, he is WWE bound. This could be a huge deal.

Satoshi Kojima is going to the US with the rest of the New Japan crew but cannot compete at ROH vs NJPW events because he is the current NWA World Champion.

Matches for May 10th Global Wars

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Jado

The Bullet Club (“The Phenomenal” AJ Styles & “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson) vs IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada & Gedo

Takaaki Watanabe vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin (IWGP Heavyweight Title Contender)

IWGP JUNIOR HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - 3-WAY TAG TEAM MATCH Forever Hooligans (Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero) vs. Time Splitters (KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley) vs. Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson)

Also ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Adam Cole defends against “Mr Wrestling” Kevin Steen.

A missed opportunity with Steen if you asked me.

-Adam Cole/Kevin Steen winner from Global Wars vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger for the ROH World Championship

-"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship

-The Young Bucks vs. Red Dragon for the ROH Tag Team Championships

-Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows vs. The Briscoes for the IWGP Tag Team Championships

-Jay Lethal vs. KUSHIDA for the ROH TV Championship

-Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kevin Steen/Adam Cole loser

-Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Michael Bennett

I believe these cards will still continue to grow.

Tanahashi vs. Bennett? Gross..

So does Devitt return to Japan?

Could Devitt reform Apollo 55 with Taguchi? Or do we see the Bullet Club Wolfpack?

I still think Devitt is trying to avoid NXT but HHH wont do it after getting burned by Sin Cara. I doubt very much he signs with TNA.

Oliver
    Devitt's kicking around the UK a lot right now, doing a number of shows. He's facing Zack Sabre Jr for Progress soon which is probably going to be insane. I imagine it's just a hold over (surely he has some kind of no compete clause in his NJPW contract?) until he goes to wherever he's going. I wouldn't be surprised to see him doing a short NXT run followed by being catapulted to the main roster come later this year. Surely he wouldn't refuse based on having to do 3-6 months in 'developmental' on a promise of a quick call-up?

Those RoH/NJPW cards look weird, some of it looks like it could be stellar (Anderson/Gallows vs Briscoes, the jnr 3-way) and then they go for something like Tanahashi/Bennet. I haven't watched RoH religiously recently, but Bennet surely can't be the guy anybody would put against Tanahashi, right?

Those RoH/NJPW cards look weird, some of it looks like it could be stellar (Anderson/Gallows vs Briscoes, the jnr 3-way) and then they go for something like Tanahashi/Bennet. I haven't watched RoH religiously recently, but Bennet surely can't be the guy anybody would put against Tanahashi, right?
    Seriously though, Tanahashi of all people. wouldnt you rather put Roderick Strong (who has Japanese wrestling experience) or ACH (who wrestles a more similar style). Wouldnt putting AJ Styles over Tanahashi (clean preferably) put over AJ Styles for both New Japan and ROH? Tanahashi was also a No Limit Young Boy and it would certainly make AJ look like a much bigger threat to Okada. Missed opportunity.

Super Moderator
    According to Court Bauer, NJPW did the booking on those, so those are the guys that they thought would work best with (or be on the same level in the hierarchy) their guys, I guess.

I'm a Bennett fan (I'm a sports entertainment style fan more than US indies style, so that might explain it) but even I'm a little puzzled.

To be fair ROH's roster isn't particularly deep and Bennett will get plenty of heat but its not a match or card that I think is must see, unless you really are just watching for the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    To be fair ROH's roster isn't particularly deep and Bennett will get plenty of heat but its not a match or card that I think is must see, unless you really are just watching for the atmosphere.
    Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows vs. The Briscoes for the IWGP Tag Team Championship im very excited for it. Gun has come such a long way and Gallows and Gun has really gelled together quickly.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kevin Steen looks really good as well.

AJ Styles is the new IWGP Heavyweight Champion after Yujiro Takahashi turned on Kazuchika Okada and joined the Bullet Club. NO WORDS.

I don't really like the idea either but Okada did need to lose the title.

So wait a minute. You take what could be 1 of the most reputable titles in Pro Wrestling. The International Wrestling Grand Prix (IWGP) Heavyweight Championship was won BY AJ STYLES. Karl Anderson, who has been on EVERY New Japan tour since 2006, every tour. A heavyweight, a long time member of the Bullet Club, and someone who is intensely loyal to New Japan. He doesn’t win the match. Prince Devitt, founder of the Bullet Club, arguably the most decorated jr since Jushin “Thunder” Liger who has been a full member of New Japan for longer than Machine Gun, He doesn’t win the match. Instead, you bring in a guy from outside, who isn’t working every show on the tour, and you put the IWGP title on him. Someone who spent most of his career in midcard hell with little or no Japanese experience.

GEDO you fucked up. I hope he is a transitional champion. Im Furious. Good call with Yujiro Takahashi (Bullet Club 4 Life) I do love that at the beginning of the match, Karl Anderson was trying to get the ref. to do the Kliq hand thing. (OMG the bullet club needs a corrupt ref!)

Okada is no selling AJ on the leg stuff … traditional Japanese bullshit.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k78w4CNNJTFxS57mCUu
    Oh My God, AJ STYLES BEAT THE RAINMAKER WITH BLOODY SUNDAY. Get the fuck out of here.

(He is doing the finger gun wrong again)

I actually was surprised with how much i liked the match.

Oh im so torn. YAY Bullet Club has the IWGP World Heavyweight title, IWGP Tag Team titles, and IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team titles. Booo, AJ Styles cheapens the IWGP World Heavyweight title. AJ Styles is not a natural heel and will have trouble getting heat.

Yujiro Takahashi for IWGP Intercontinental Champion!

So wait, now we get Michael Elgin vs AJ Styles at War of the Worlds? It makes more sense but still less cool.

The Bullet Club (“The Phenomenal” AJ Styles & “Machine Gun” Karl Anderson) vs IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kazuchika Okada & Gedo seems a lot cooler though.

Whats Okada going to do at War of the Worlds now?

Good to see Stan Hansen earlier in the PPV too! Is Satoshi Kojima on the US tour or is he doing NWA stuff in the states?

Bonus : Hiroshi Tanahashi vs AJ Styles : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBppldaEfSs
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-03-2014 at 10:03 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRp...ature=youtu.be

Even with Wrestling Dontaku and Extreme Rules happening before this, Dragon Gate's Dead or Alive 2014 is easily the best recent show, and maybe the show of the year thus far, with WrestleMania 30 being the only real competition. The main event is a six-man Scapegoat Mascara Contra Cabellera Cage Match, featuring CIMA, Masato Yoshino, Jimmy Kanda, Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin, BxB Hulk, and Naruki Doi fighting literally for their friends.

Meltzer gave both the Jimmy Susumu v. Flamita Open the Brave Gate Championship match and the MochiFujii v. TakaZawa Open the Twin Gate Championship match 4-and-a-half stars. The tag match in particular is close to MoTY-calibur. YAMATO vs. Ricochet Open the Dream Gate Championship match is also exceptional, and the main event is incredible, as well. Y'all need to watch this show. Period. So good. Once you get passed the first three matches (two of which are decent comedy matches in their own right), the quality ramps up into greatness. Watch it.

OMG. Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows and Rocky Romero have a podcast Seriously, http://j.mp/1owzUAx

Im still giggling. Its what being a passed out Japanese rat must feel like.

Luke Gallows doesnt have a contract with NJPW. I really do love this podcast.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 07-09-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Sara, are you watching the G1? It's been really good, at least the first two days I've seen and its been said that day 4 is show of the year.

Sara, are you watching the G1? It's been really good, at least the first two days I've seen and its been said that day 4 is show of the year.
    I had to change my underwear after Okada/Anderson ... Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Katsuyori Shibata was awesome too. The problem with the G1 is that a lot of the matches feel like they are telling a story of a tournament instead of stand alone matches. Its why i really didnt like the first night. Its alsothe reason i didnt like AJ Styles vs Tetsuya Naito even though AJ's heel work in Japan has been some of the best work ive seen out of any heel in a long time (since Punk in the SES) AJ thinks hes 80s Flair and its awesome, It just goes to show what a dogs dinner TNA made of the Fourtune run. Kazuchika Okada vs AJ Styles from the first night is a great example of this.

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shelton Benjamin and Yuji Nagata vs. Bad Luck Fale were both solid matches for a tournament like this from day 2. Okada and Tanahashi are proving they are top talent (I still cant believe Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Satoshi Kojima delivered on the hype).

I havent seen Day 5 yet (ill find it when i get home) but i heard it was amazing.

I like the tournament story in some matches if I can understand it quickly like I didn't watch last year, but found out Goto broke Makabe's jaw a few months ago, retaliation for Makabe breaking Goto's jaw in the G1 last year. So when they had the match on day 1 this year, Makabe was out for blood.

Also, Honma's story of the underdog who can't win is pretty fun. I hope he beats someone huge. The crowd will go apeshit.

So the real question is who's gonna win the G1? obviously i mean AJ Styles is gonna win block B but who is going to win Block A?

I love how the japanese use color.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 07-29-2014 at 12:22 AM.

I'm going with Nakamura but I hope it's Shibata.

I'm going with Nakamura but I hope it's Shibata.
    Hiroshi Tanahashi has my vote. I know AJ is a bit behind but i believe he will make a big comeback. Okada could win the G1 but i just dont feel it. Bad Luck Fale and AJ will come out of the G1 with serious heat.

Every time AJ uses Devitt's Bloody Sunday to set up the Clash it pisses me off.

Oliver
    Shibata should win everything. The guy is the fucking bomb. I actually think Okada is winning block B - it's between him and Styles, although Naito might be staking a claim too at the moment - it's actually hard to see where Naito might stumble in his upcoming matches. With those three having gone against each other early on, there shouldn't really be anybody else in the block that can challenge them. Naito might have his hands full with Anderson, I suppose, but he should be beating Goto, Makabe, Suzuki and Tenzan. I guess anything can happen, though - Naito lost to Takahashi, after all, and both Okada and Styles have to take him on still. Interested to see what we get with Anderson and Styles, too - the leader of Bullet Club against one of the members but who holds the IWGP title. Will the champ lie down for his leader, or will he have to put up a fight? I'm sure the fans won't buy some finger poke of doom bullshit, so I wonder if we're going to see some tension and a hard fought match (like Smith and Benjamin)

Day 5 is a frigging flawless event, I'd argue that everything there is 3* plus - Nakamura/Honma and Okada/Naito were both excellent, and Styles/Goto was a good one too.

Why do NJPW keep pushing Fale? He seems completely the opposite of what the crowds there want, plus he's gaining weight and with it becoming even less mobile.
    Last edited by Oliver; 07-31-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Id mark so hard for the match to go 15 minutes only to end with a bullet Club huddle and a fingerpoke of doom or an arm wrestling match. Or something that looks like sparring.

I think the plan is to feed Fale to Okada when he is seen as a bit of a monster then do the same thing to Gallows.

Great Match with AJ/Suzuki on day 7. AJ is getting over in Japan. Go see it.

Great Match with AJ/Suzuki on day 7. AJ is getting over in Japan. Go see it.
    AJ gets heat with me EVERY TIME i see him use the bloody sunday DDT. without fail. every time.

Oh and Goto/Anderson from Day 6 was fantastic.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...anderson_sport

Karl Anderson carried Yujiro Takahashi on day 7 and Gallows made Harry Smith look good.

Oh and Minoru Suzuki and AJ Styles makes me wish they were in the NWA. id kill to see a war games match Suzuki-Gun vs Bullet Club

Minoru Suzuki vs AJ Styles

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...u-suzuki_sport

Watch, please.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 08-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.