Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NXT: Takeover LIVE Discussion Thread

Not bad for watching my first takeover event. I can't wait for AOP to go to the main roster. And I really would like to see Shayna Baszler dominate the NXT women's division.

Also, I wasn't watching with my ear buds on, who was the blonde woman in the main event?

Wow. What a fucking main event. The best Takeover main event, personally. That was fantastic. Almas truely is a star. I hope when he gets called up they don't ruin him. Just let H take the reigns with him. Even the small things after the match like telling the ref to not lift his left arm in victory but to raise his right so he could continue to sell the left arm. Just superb.

That was an awesome main event. Easily Almas’ best match in NXT too. It was a great showcase for both guys.

I know a lot of people love the Zayn/Naka match. But that surpassed it. I take back my best Takeover main event from above. That was simply the best NXT match, period.

Holy crap. If there are better matches than that this year we are going to be in for a hell of a 2018.

Candice LeRae, Johnny's wife. I'd argue she's an even better worker than he is, and you saw how good he was.

I wasn't a fan of the first four matches (outside of Ember Moon's selling), but that main event was outstanding. One of the two best matches Sombra has ever had and definitely the best match I've ever seen Gargano have. Only issue; they probably should've given Gargano the belt. You're probably not getting him hotter than he was in this match, and not pulling the trigger now feels like a mistake. Besides that, unbelievable match. Great two days of wrestling between the lucha craziness last night, New Japan this morning and this match tonight.

We had two MOTY contenders at WK. We had one just the other day in CMLL. We had one from NJPW just last night. And now we've had this. What an incredible month. Has there even been a month in wrestling that has produced such incredible matches?

As to what you say, Cult, it isn't about Gargano though. It's about Ciampa v Gargano. And that feud does not need the title whatsoever. I fully expect Gargano never to win the title before he goes up. Plus I'm pretty sure they'd be set on making Black the champ come WM weekend. I can't begin to describe how much I wanted Ciampa to hit his finisher on Candice. Could you imagine the way the crowd would have reacted? The further heat this rivalry would have got? That to me was the mistake if there was one.

Only issue; they probably should've given Gargano the belt. You're probably not getting him hotter than he was in this match,
    I disagree with the first part, not as certain about the second part.

The feud with Chiampa does not need the belt, it isn't about who is better it is about revenge. The belt can be somewhere else making another feud that doesn't already have a built in story some meaning.

The second one.... we will see. He was so hot tonight that it is hard to see how he practically could get more cheers. However the Ciampa feud is one that the crowd is heavily invested in and that kind of passion certainly isn't going to see him cool off.

It's not about putting the belt in the Gargano-Ciampa program; it's about striking the iron with Gargano while it's hot. It's very likely not getting hotter than it was tonight and that's where the mistake is. The crowd was begging for him to win; hell even I was, and I went into this match thinking it be a mistake for Gargano to win and, frankly, am not even that big of a fan of his. But that reaction he got tonight was special, and to not capitalize it when we know Gargano is on a once in a lifetime run feels like a missed opportunity. And come on; WWE isn't doing man on women violence so Candice getting attacked is out of the question.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    An awesome main event. The story so fit having Gargano winning. I personally and glad Almas won, but had Gargano won, I also dare to say it'd be the biggest pop off the year for NXT. But I understand why it finished the way it did, Almas is amazing as champ and will be a star, and the Gargano/Ciampa feud doesn't need a title. So my only complaint about the match is I wish Ciampa did the crutch shot during the match to cost Gargano the match. But that's nitpicking, the match itself was 5 Stars if in the Tokyo Dome.

I get your joking LWO, but who cares how many stars it was? Who cares how many stars Titan-Mephisto, Tanahashi-Suzuki or any thing else was? It's going to be so frustrating when people get butthurt over one or the other getting a higher rating when the reality (and Meltzer will make this point as well, only for it to get ignored) all three matches were epic and that's all that should matters. To me, those three matches were classic in the Tokyo Dome, Sapporo, Reseda, Full Sail, Arena Mexico, Wells Fargo, the Matt Mortensen bar and grill, wherever. So I'm declaring all three epic and nipping any star talk in the bud before we get someone asking "WHY WASN'T THIS RATED HIGHER THAN THAT?! WAH WAH WAH!"

I was joking. I never cared about star rankings. Wrestling is to subjective. I just said it because I nitpicked the match's ending, but still wanted to point out I think it was an amazing match. That's all. Please, no one, don't take me serious on Stars, I want to see Reigns/Cena II so take my opinion with a shit load of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    WWE NXT Twitter account picked an unfortunate photo to post of Ember after the win. Nipple alert.
    That ain't leaving the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    I was joking. I never cared about star rankings. Wrestling is to subjective. I just said it because I nitpicked the match's ending, but still wanted to point out I think it was an amazing match. That's all. Please, no one, don't take me serious on Stars, I want to see Reigns/Cena II so take my opinion with a shit load of salt.
    I knew you were joking; hence why I said it! I was just making sure no one else went on that tirade on here, cause you know it's coming elsewhere unfortunately.

Just checked, it's still there. I mean I had to check, because, you know, research.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Just checked, it's still there. I mean I had to check, because, you know, research.
    Of course. It is important sometimes to do proper research. the information could be key to future usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I get your joking LWO, but who cares how many stars it was? Who cares how many stars Titan-Mephisto, Tanahashi-Suzuki or any thing else was? It's going to be so frustrating when people get butthurt over one or the other getting a higher rating when the reality (and Meltzer will make this point as well, only for it to get ignored) all three matches were epic and that's all that should matters. To me, those three matches were classic in the Tokyo Dome, Sapporo, Reseda, Full Sail, Arena Mexico, Wells Fargo, the Matt Mortensen bar and grill, wherever. So I'm declaring all three epic and nipping any star talk in the bud before we get someone asking "WHY WASN'T THIS RATED HIGHER THAN THAT?! WAH WAH WAH!"
    Even in the Eric Mutter pizzeria???

Especially in the Eric Mutter pizzeria. That guys easy as fuck!

That doesn't sound too good lol

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    Of course. It is important sometimes to do proper research. the information could be key to future usage.
    Yes, key information indeed.

Side note, so should Ember Moon be moved up sooner or later?

Also, yeah Cult, too many people get caught up in stars, even those that claimed they don't pay attention to stars, they talk about stars. With all that said, great match and I hope Almas moves up sooner rather than later. Eventually you can even have him and Vega as faces. Her story, you'd think, Vince would want to talk about someday.

Gargano's probably got three or four of the best NXT matches to date under his belt now:

DIY/Revival 2/3
    DIY/Revival single fall
    DIY/Revival/AoP

And now last night.

I think Neville/Zayn and Charlotte/Bayley still sit a level above, as does Cesaro/Zayn IV (which might, by now, be the most slept on NXT match in history). Possibly also the Zayn/Neville/Breeze/Kidd four-way. But that match is definitely in the subset just below those.

I'm so happy EC3 is here. So, so happy

We seem to be the only ones Oli

It's going to be interesting to see where he fits in immediately. Part of me wants him sprung to the main level straight away, especially as there's an obvious opening to be Almas' next opponent. But there are more people than ever that should/could be sniffing around that area. Maybe he comes in just below and builds up slowly.

Is there like a vast amount of classic EC3 matches that I've missed over the last few years? Cause every time I've seen the guy he's been, at best, passable in the ring and is often not good at all; despite what Eddieg and the Mortensen's will tell you, he actively took a promising match with Bobby Lashley at last year's Takeover and nuked it all on his own (he was legit awful in that match). Are people really expecting he'll start having all timers in NXT now? I get that he's an amazing personality and all, but for a brand that prides itself on stuff like we saw in the main event, I'm not sure people are going to be satisfied with what he brings in ring.

See, Oli? The Iken's and Mutter's of this world show no love to ECIII.

I'm not sure where he's going to fit in. I would assume they want Black crowned as champ for WM weekend. Drew Mac will come back at some stage. And I personally prefer ECIII as a heel. So I'm real interested to see what they do with him.

The Iken's and Mutter's are good, but they're now Eddieg and the Mortensens, nor are they anywhere close to The Iken Mutters Softly. That band is as great as EC3 is mediocre!

This has gotten out of hand lol

I think the one thing NXT has been lacking in for 12/18 months has been characters, which is why I'm good with them getting EC3. Also I always felt they dropped the ball on Bateman as he was such a clear star on Redemption.

I say that with a condition that two guys - probably the two best guys - for character have just headlined Takeover and Dream is present. But fuck, if they're going to make me watch Cole, O'Reilly, and Fish drain the personality from everything they're involved in I damn well better have someone with personality elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I say that with a condition that two guys - probably the two best guys - for character have just headlined Takeover and Dream is present. But fuck, if they're going to make me watch Cole, O'Reilly, and Fish drain the personality from everything they're involved in I damn well better have someone with personality elsewhere!
    Oli, you are a captain of industry, a gentlemen and a scholar and a damn good writer. This is the greatest thing you have ever put down on this site. There hasn't been a more overrated trio than the White Bread Indie Brigade since the ill fated Blink 182 reunion.

I'm a little surprised that he's kept his name. Did TNA not trademark it? I highly doubt he'll be Ethan Carter. So I'm intrigued as to what he'll be called. Always liked the Bateman name. I'm actually hoping Bryan sticks around long enough and Bateman goes up to SD and they can reunite as sorts. They had great chemistry together back in NXT.

Well we've got 10 weeks to Mania weekend. It feels longer than usual for some reason. So it's going to be interesting to see what they do with Almas, Dream, Black, ECIII, Richochet, War Machine and the three most bland people on the roster since Balor come Mania weekend.

Impact is giving talent full rights to their names and such, so they can use them wherever. Hence he can be EC3 in NXT. I assume they're going to avoid the Ethan Carter thing because they don't want to play up the connection to Dixie Carter or some stupidity like that.

its also not EC3 but EC 3 (with the space ) so thats another wrinkle to it.

Unfortuntely, I had to watch Gargano/Almas on delay and as such i knew when the show was ending. Hurt the match a bit for me. But I still loved it. Wish Almas wore his Black and white sombra mask and a suit to the ring but alas, can't have everything.

Gosh, if he had done that I don't think Iken would have kept breathing. Would have had a heart attack for sure.

I marked for him just wearing the mask. It's great that he still has so much respect for his lucha roots. I'm beyond thrilled that WWE finally woke the hell up and started using him correctly. He was legit ready to walk not that long ago I'm pretty sure. Imagine if they had been using him like this from the start instead of whatever the hell they were doing for that first year and a half.

True, but he needed Zelina to get that heel turn going and let his work show. Could they have brought him in as a heel? Sure they could have except he doesn't speak great English so its harder for him to get the heat he needed as a heel..The only way he probably works as a face intially is if they went full Lucha and kept him in a mask.

Zelina might have saved him. Genuinely believe that.

More luchadors in suits, though. I'm always down with luchadors in a suit.

Cult - the weirdest thing about the Undisputed Era is that NXT is trying so hard to make it work. I don't mind them in ring but they have such little personality that they're even trying to recreate that nWo promo feel in their backstage bits, all quick cuts and odd angles. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in black and white next time they're talking.

When I saw Almas and the mariachis in masks, I legit marked out in front of my wife. To her credit she actually looked up from her phone to see. I'm really happy he was there representing. Dude represented for Lucha. ✊🏽👊🏽

The Brain
    EC3 is an underrated ring talent and a brilliant promo/character. That BFG Lashley match was a very bad way to judge him, for some reason he was completely off in the match.

Super Moderator
    I marked for him just wearing the mask. It's great that he still has so much respect for his lucha roots. I'm beyond thrilled that WWE finally woke the hell up and started using him correctly. He was legit ready to walk not that long ago I'm pretty sure. Imagine if they had been using him like this from the start instead of whatever the hell they were doing for that first year and a half.
    I finally saw it with Almas on Saturday. If that match had ended with Zelina's interference and the DDT, I would have given it 5 stars. But that shit kept going and got even better. That was the best WWE match I've seen in a long, long, long time.

Almas and Gargano both looked like super stars last night, and not in the "WWE Super Star" sense. Let Almas roll with the belt for a while longer.

I think that the act is main roster worthy, and I think Gargano should be the next NXT Champion. However, the story of Gargano overcoming Ciampa Mania weekend, and then beating the guy that he "can't beat" for the belt at the next Takeover show is that much better. Let Almas work both brands after Mania until SummerSlam weekend.

That match was next level. Both of those guys are stars and I hope that Gargano's size doesn't hold him back too much on the main roster.

Impact is giving talent full rights to their names and such, so they can use them wherever. Hence he can be EC3 in NXT. I assume they're going to avoid the Ethan Carter thing because they don't want to play up the connection to Dixie Carter or some stupidity like that.
    As far as I'm aware, WWE still plan on changing some of the new signings' names. Saw it on the Twitterverse somewhere.

Regarding EC3 as a talent, I have seen literally zero matches of his in his TNA guise. So I don't have much of an opinion on him at present, however I do wish they would calm down with the singings just a tad. Every roster is full to bursting and more major name stars coming in will hurt those that have been on the cusp for so long only to have it taken away from them.