Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “The Immortal” Hulk Hogan Thread

The Brain
    I don't think his fall has been as extreme as Cosby's, at the very least. I think his legacy will mostly hinge on his enormous popularity and contributions, though I think people will always acknowledge the issues and controversies he had in later years. But that extends past the tape anyway, as wrestling fans remember plenty of his bad moments in the business too outside of anything he did outside it.

Squared
    Well, fuck. Seeing reports in some reasonably reputable places that like Undertaker, Hogan is to return to WWE in 2018.

I wouldn't be surprised if the think Wrestlemania needs the leg-up, from all the things I've read it sounds like there's some trepidation backstage about where they are at.

The Brain
    Hogan seems like a weird solution to that. His use is surely pretty limited at this point so is he going to drive Network subs? Maybe he could do a short ratings spike (like one night short) but beyond that I'm not sure what the point is. I don't mind him coming back if he does, but he's not going to fix any problems.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I do have a problem with Hulk coming back, and I'm as big a Hulkamaniac there is. I just think he has to come out, and be more forceful on what he said and then I think we can welcome him back. What he said truly shocked me. If there was a wrestler who seemed to be above the racism of wrestling in the 80's, it always seemed to be Hulk. But we were sorely wrong. I mean, from what I've heard, Ric Flair is worse and we are celebrating him, but I think it's because he does admit to his faults. (Except racism, Ric Flair wouldn't admit to that, but he admits to other faults.)

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

The Brain
    I can see that side of it too. I was under the impression Hogan apologized but I haven't followed it very closely so he might need to do more yet if he really wants to be welcomed back.

I think it would be a vocal minority. I don't think it damages WWE to bring back Hulk but i don't think it helps either.. Hell his last return wasn't that memorable either and he's not gonna work so basically as an ambassador its just a bad look.

Squared
    New theory doing the rounds is that it's for the 25th anniversary of Raw, not Wrestlemania, which maybe makes more sense.

Squared
    Anyone else see the master of self promotion angling for a rematch with The Rock, of all people?!

The Brain
    Can't say he doesn't aim high, I guess! I think doing so many seemingly impossible things in his career gave Hogan an unrealistic view of the world...

A wrestler trying to angle themselves for a match that isn't realistic but if it does happen, it will be a huge payday. I'm so shocked!!

its not happening. Hogan can't move and don't think Rock is allowed to take bumps anymore. Hogan is just trolling.

Squared
    Oh I know it's not happening. It's just funny to see him angling for it. I am not sure if it's better if he's doing it purely for a reaction or if he actually thinks it could happen....

The Brain
    My gut is it's just for the reaction, but Hogan does have a history of believing in himself waaaay too much.

i mean he's gotta do something to try to get some spotlight. I don't think he's at many conventions and after that nasty divorce, he probably needs WWE more than they need him. If only Brooke was a wrestler lol.

The Brain
    Haha, it took me a long time to realize he was actually saying "demandment" and not just mangling his words.

So, what is everyone's favorite Hogan match? Obviously there are a couple of modern ones, with Rock and with Vince stand out, and matches that hold big significance like the nWo turn and WM3 (which I rewatched recently and actually found to be quite good). Do people have anything more under the radar? Watching through the Heenan series I've really dug him against guys like Bockwinkel and Orndorff, and early in his WWF run he was highly motivated and had some pretty watchable matches with guys like King Kong Bundy (not that hard to do) and Big John Studd (MUCH harder to do). He also had at least one really good one with Harley Race, and there's some stuff in Japan like the Muta match. WCW is a bit sparse but I did like his stuff with Goldberg and Luger when he was actually working really hard to put them over.

Squared
    There were some decent matches with Savage in 1989 on the European tour. If you like the cartoon style of that era his match with The Genius has something to be said for it.

Warrior was always really impressive as a story and becomes more impressive as a Hogan match when you know how tightly he had to guide Warrior through it.

I always thought the Summerslam match with Earthquake had a good story and worked into the feud well.

Pretty sure there was some good stuff with DiBiase knocking around from just before his third WWF title win, too.

The Brain
    You know, I rewatched that Warrior match a couple years ago and just could not get into it. They just spend so much damn time in that test of strength. Then again, I didn't care for the WM3 match until recently, so maybe I'll feel differently after I've watched all the build up.

My favorite Hogan match is the one with Warrior at Mania and Rock at Mania. the Warrior match is nostalgia for me because its my first vivid memory of wrestling. I know i watched it before, but i'm a little kid and i get a WM 6 VHS tape and watch it in this trailer. What a spectacle.

The Rock one because Rock is my favorite sports entertainer of all time (note not wrestler) and everytime i watch it, i get chills.

Hogan has probably worked better matches but those two stand out.

Squared
    You might not. Only thing is that they are the two strongest guys testing who is actually best. If that doesn't appeal then it might not work. Personally I think it plays well into the mirroring thing they have going on.

It's not subtle, but Hogan vs Warrior doesn't seem like the place for subtlety. And taste aside, I think it still has to be recognised as some achievement.

The Brain
    Oh sure, the fact that it's well regarded is an accomplishment in and of itself. Doubly so when you look at what they did in WCW, when left to their own devices. Thank god for Pat Patterson, eh?

But I still kind of feel like this is the whole match:

They do the dreaded bear hug spot that i normally hate but when i watch, i just love it. the finish is legit great too cause i don't think Hogan had ever missed the leg drop in a big title match

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Believe in yourself and Hulkamania was the fourth demandment, brother.
    Greatest post of all time? Yes, this is the greatest post of all time brother!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Haha, it took me a long time to realize he was actually saying "demandment" and not just mangling his words.

So, what is everyone's favorite Hogan match? Obviously there are a couple of modern ones, with Rock and with Vince stand out, and matches that hold big significance like the nWo turn and WM3 (which I rewatched recently and actually found to be quite good). Do people have anything more under the radar? Watching through the Heenan series I've really dug him against guys like Bockwinkel and Orndorff, and early in his WWF run he was highly motivated and had some pretty watchable matches with guys like King Kong Bundy (not that hard to do) and Big John Studd (MUCH harder to do). He also had at least one really good one with Harley Race, and there's some stuff in Japan like the Muta match. WCW is a bit sparse but I did like his stuff with Goldberg and Luger when he was actually working really hard to put them over.
    Okay, so favorite Hulk Hogan matches to me are a bit hard because it's not the actual matches that make Hulk Hogan but the charisma he brings in every match. It's never about Hulk in a match, but if his opponent can match him. The Rock comes to mind. I think one that's very underrated was his steel cage match with Paul Orndorff. That was a big memory in my childhood.

The Brain
    I've enjoyed every single Orndorff/Hogan singles match I've seen, except for a house show run in October '86 where they did a shitty gimmick where Hogan would lose the title if he got DQ'd. In every single one of those matches, Hogan would find a way to hit Orndorff with a chair for absolutely no reason, just to be a dick. Drove me crazy. But yeah, overall Orndorff was an amazing opponent for him. The SNME cage match was awesome but they had a cage match I liked even better in Philly in December '86. I think my favorite between them might be The Big Event though.

Squared
    I don't think Hogan drops off in form until 1991, to be honest. After that point there are fairly recurrent questions about his motivation levels but the more I think of it, up until that point you pretty much always got a good show out of Hogan.