Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: “The Immortal” Hulk Hogan Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Well, now I just really, really want to hear some crazy Orndorff stories.
    "Paul Orndorff was another nut, and tough on top of it as his car found out day when he got caught in traffic on the way to a show. He got in such a rage that he ripped the steering wheel right out of the car" - More than Just Hardcore by Terry Funk.

Paul Orndorff once bit Tony Atlas' ear like he was Mike Tyson.

50 year old Paul Orndorff once threatened Big Van Vader and it happened like you think it would happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G1ySPELeqo

The Brain
    I knew about him manhandling Vader but those other ones, holy crap. Wrestling sure attracts some nutcases, but I love it.

Squared
    Was going to ask if Hogan was too toxic to ever feature for a prominent promotion again, but that's a less interesting subject than the news he is reportedly suing Ed 'Beefcake' Leslie over his new tell-all autobiography.

The Brain
    Ugh. Hogan and Beefcake wasn't interesting in 1994 and it's not interesting to me now.

More interesting to me is that I heard that Hogan said Flair was better than him on the recent 30 for 30 thing. Did anybody watch? Also, if Hogan can feature in something like that, I'm sure he'll be used again by WWE down the line.

It's always confused me when a big deal is made of Hogan saying that. This isn't the first time it's happened, by far, and every time it seems the reaction is one of shock that Hulk would be so humble or whatever.

He's always said that Flair could out work him. The dude's been going on about his handful of moves and basically wrestling the same match over and over ever since his WWE return back in 2002. He's never once insinuated that he was a better in ring performer than Ric Flair, as to do so would be asinine.

Hulk's a humble dude, based upon all the stuff I've ever seen. He recognizes his place in the business and is justifiably proud of his ridiculously huge accomplishments, but he's also well aware of his shortcomings. A man can be a savage businessman and look out for his best interests, as Hogan absolutely did for 25 years, but also still be a humble human being. There's a difference between Business Hulk and Real Hulk.

WWE would be foolish not to bring Hulk back at some point, hopefully soon. I think it's pretty obvious that people have largely forgiven him for the shit that went down. Not forgotten, but forgiven. That's what heroes do. They rise and fall, then rise again. There are millions of people out there, myself among them, who want to see the Hulkster come back home. With as many of his contemporaries as we've lost in recent years, it'd be a goddamn shame for him to not be under the WWE umbrella and rightfully celebrated for his monumental place in the history of the business were he to suddenly pass away or something.

At the end of the day, you do what's right for the fans. Hulk Hogan in the WWE is what's right for the fans. Love him or hate him, not a single soul can dispute his place in history and the connection he has with the Hulkamaniacs. If his music were to hit on Raw or SmackDown next week or any other time, the fucking roof would blow off the building.

I'd personally like his return to coincide with the induction of the nWo into the Hall of Fame, which I hope goes down this year.

Super Moderator
    The only problem is whether or not there's enough distance between Hogan and his tape to make him marketable. The only real thing he has to offer the company is a role as an ambassador and someone to promote them outside WWE. But is he still too toxic to do that? Can he be brought on local news/radio or GMA or anywhere else to promote SummerSlam without things ultimately circling back to the tape and the lawsuit?

The Brain
    Yeah, I can't imagine what they'd do with him at this point aside from a few random appearances. Hulkamania still lives though, as Steve demonstrated.

I guess you're right that it's not so surprising Hogan would say that about Flair. Bear in mind I'm coming here straight from WCW, where Hogan seemed to go out of his way to embarrass Flair at times (though maybe that was all Bischoff, it's hard to say).

I think he can play a great role in just being available for documentaries and WWE Network stuff. I'm also pretty sure that the international audience, who still adore him, couldn't care less about the sex tape and subsequent scandals. Send Hogan to India or Chine or Japan and he'd be great as an ambassador.

I also really do think that most folks in North America have forgiven him. It's not like the guy's fallen off the planet. He still shows up in stuff here and there, as evidenced by the 30 For 30 appearance. Maybe not put him out as the ambassador for big PPVs and stuff, as they did with WM 30, but there are surely many roles he could serve within the company, even if it's just under a Legends deal shilling throwbacks on Shop or whatever.

I think the embarrassment of Flair in WCW was both Hogan and Bischoff, though I do feel that Eric should shoulder the majority of the blame. He just really seemed to have something against Ric for a long time, going out of his way to make the dude's life miserable. Sure, Hogan was neck deep in the whole beating him 400 times thing, but suspending him for going to his son's wrestling meet, making speeches about sending him into poverty and how he never drew in front of the entire locker room, all that? That was Easy E all the way.

The Brain
    Did the sex tape really slow him down? I thought it was just the n-word thing that put him on the outs.

The two went hand in hand, really. Nobody gave a shit about the sex tape, really, but it was directly part of the subsequent racially charged scandal.

Squared
    Got to admit, that's what has tarnished him for me. Huge fan in the day but with that on the record I'd rather stick to my memories now.

Super Moderator
    I wonder if there is a "far enough" away from the tape that exists, or if he's always going to be tarnished for some people, like PT.

Here's a question: what is Hogan's ultimate legacy? Does he go down as one of the biggest stars of all time and the reason WWE is what it is today? Does he go down as yet another massive star that pissed it all away at the end? Does this tape and what he said and this lawsuit tarnish his legacy at the end of the day?

The CNN video package when Cosby dies will talk about his comedy and his show and his success, and end with the fact that he was a rapist who saw his career burn around him because of it. What does Hogan's video package look like?

Squared
    I think he's not going to come out of it that badly. These things will get mentioned as a footnote but I don't think they will come to define him.

Like, I don't want to see him now, but it hasn't ruined the first eight Wrestlemanias for me. But I couldn't watch The Cosby Show now.

The whole incident definitely tarnished his legacy, but nowhere near the level of Cosby. At the end of the day he'll go down as the single biggest pro wrestler of all time. If people could overlook all the batshit offensive shit that Warrior spewed to give him a heroes sendoff, Hulk will be just fine.

I'd argue that the steroid scandal is a bigger black mark on his legacy than the more recent controversy, honestly. Being the polarizing figure that he is, the various controversies will definitely be mentioned. His status as a living icon and the biggest star in the industry is untouchable, though, and will be the larger focus. Similar to how the whole "fucking his maid and having random kids" thing will pop up in Schwartzenegger's but won't dominate the larger narrative.

The Brain
    I don't think his fall has been as extreme as Cosby's, at the very least. I think his legacy will mostly hinge on his enormous popularity and contributions, though I think people will always acknowledge the issues and controversies he had in later years. But that extends past the tape anyway, as wrestling fans remember plenty of his bad moments in the business too outside of anything he did outside it.

I've always heard Snuka was being considered for that top spot...Andre is the only guy who I can think of coming close, but nobody could have married MTV and wrestling for Wrestle Mania like Hogan.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I know this thread and others wrote him off, but I think Vince goes with Sgt. Slaughter. I think instead of firing him over his GI Joe deal, without that big name Vince embraces it and they really push him beating the Iron Sheik and having that rivalry carry WWF in 1984. People forget that in 1984, we are still in the depths of the Cold War, you have Nikolai Volkoff waiting and Sgt. fits the gimmick perfectly. I don't think however you get the Andre slam moment, the Roddy Piper feud on top or the Mega Powers exploding, which I think those things pushed WWF to heights that no one could reach. But I think Vince has Slaughter, he fights Sheik and Volkoff in 1984, Bobby Heenan has the Heenan family to feed to Slaughter, we get WrestleMania still, Lauper and Ritcher are the celebrity attraction still, Slaughter is woven into that, but we don't get Mr. T. I think WWF is still big, it goes national, when Slaughter meets Reagan and Reagan calls him his favorite wrestler you better believe Vince is all over that. But it just doesn't reach the heights of Hogan's reign. But I think it goes big and Slaughter passes the torch to Randy Savage at WM 4 or 5 and Savage becomes that big star. WWF still never reaches those heights it did with Hogan though, but maybe the hardcore fans like that direction better.

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

The Brain
    I can actually see Slaughter being the potential top guy if he hadn't fallen out with Vince when he did. He really was blowing up (the GI Joe deal is a big sign in that direction) and the split couldn't have had worse timing. God knows fucking Corporal Kirchner wasn't the same.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    God knows fucking Corporal Kirchner wasn't the same.
    You're not wrong there. The fact that there were some real good matches in their programme is just proof of how good, quietly, Volkoff could be.

The Brain
    Volkoff is a good deal better than I ever realized, in his prime. He had some really awesome power stuff to throw at people, and knew just when to bump and stooge. It's too bad he was declining just as the golden era was hitting it's biggest boom, but that could be said about a lot of guys.

Squared
    Well, fuck. Seeing reports in some reasonably reputable places that like Undertaker, Hogan is to return to WWE in 2018.

I wouldn't be surprised if the think Wrestlemania needs the leg-up, from all the things I've read it sounds like there's some trepidation backstage about where they are at.

The Brain
    Hogan seems like a weird solution to that. His use is surely pretty limited at this point so is he going to drive Network subs? Maybe he could do a short ratings spike (like one night short) but beyond that I'm not sure what the point is. I don't mind him coming back if he does, but he's not going to fix any problems.

I do have a problem with Hulk coming back, and I'm as big a Hulkamaniac there is. I just think he has to come out, and be more forceful on what he said and then I think we can welcome him back. What he said truly shocked me. If there was a wrestler who seemed to be above the racism of wrestling in the 80's, it always seemed to be Hulk. But we were sorely wrong. I mean, from what I've heard, Ric Flair is worse and we are celebrating him, but I think it's because he does admit to his faults. (Except racism, Ric Flair wouldn't admit to that, but he admits to other faults.)

The Brain
    I can see that side of it too. I was under the impression Hogan apologized but I haven't followed it very closely so he might need to do more yet if he really wants to be welcomed back.

I think it would be a vocal minority. I don't think it damages WWE to bring back Hulk but i don't think it helps either.. Hell his last return wasn't that memorable either and he's not gonna work so basically as an ambassador its just a bad look.

Squared
    New theory doing the rounds is that it's for the 25th anniversary of Raw, not Wrestlemania, which maybe makes more sense.

Squared
    Anyone else see the master of self promotion angling for a rematch with The Rock, of all people?!

The Brain
    Can't say he doesn't aim high, I guess! I think doing so many seemingly impossible things in his career gave Hogan an unrealistic view of the world...

A wrestler trying to angle themselves for a match that isn't realistic but if it does happen, it will be a huge payday. I'm so shocked!!

its not happening. Hogan can't move and don't think Rock is allowed to take bumps anymore. Hogan is just trolling.

Squared
    Oh I know it's not happening. It's just funny to see him angling for it. I am not sure if it's better if he's doing it purely for a reaction or if he actually thinks it could happen....

The Brain
    My gut is it's just for the reaction, but Hogan does have a history of believing in himself waaaay too much.

Squared
    Believe in yourself and Hulkamania was the fourth demandment, brother.

i mean he's gotta do something to try to get some spotlight. I don't think he's at many conventions and after that nasty divorce, he probably needs WWE more than they need him. If only Brooke was a wrestler lol.

The Brain
    Haha, it took me a long time to realize he was actually saying "demandment" and not just mangling his words.

So, what is everyone's favorite Hogan match? Obviously there are a couple of modern ones, with Rock and with Vince stand out, and matches that hold big significance like the nWo turn and WM3 (which I rewatched recently and actually found to be quite good). Do people have anything more under the radar? Watching through the Heenan series I've really dug him against guys like Bockwinkel and Orndorff, and early in his WWF run he was highly motivated and had some pretty watchable matches with guys like King Kong Bundy (not that hard to do) and Big John Studd (MUCH harder to do). He also had at least one really good one with Harley Race, and there's some stuff in Japan like the Muta match. WCW is a bit sparse but I did like his stuff with Goldberg and Luger when he was actually working really hard to put them over.

Squared
    There were some decent matches with Savage in 1989 on the European tour. If you like the cartoon style of that era his match with The Genius has something to be said for it.

Warrior was always really impressive as a story and becomes more impressive as a Hogan match when you know how tightly he had to guide Warrior through it.

I always thought the Summerslam match with Earthquake had a good story and worked into the feud well.

Pretty sure there was some good stuff with DiBiase knocking around from just before his third WWF title win, too.

The Brain
    You know, I rewatched that Warrior match a couple years ago and just could not get into it. They just spend so much damn time in that test of strength. Then again, I didn't care for the WM3 match until recently, so maybe I'll feel differently after I've watched all the build up.

My favorite Hogan match is the one with Warrior at Mania and Rock at Mania. the Warrior match is nostalgia for me because its my first vivid memory of wrestling. I know i watched it before, but i'm a little kid and i get a WM 6 VHS tape and watch it in this trailer. What a spectacle.

The Rock one because Rock is my favorite sports entertainer of all time (note not wrestler) and everytime i watch it, i get chills.

Hogan has probably worked better matches but those two stand out.

Squared
    You might not. Only thing is that they are the two strongest guys testing who is actually best. If that doesn't appeal then it might not work. Personally I think it plays well into the mirroring thing they have going on.

It's not subtle, but Hogan vs Warrior doesn't seem like the place for subtlety. And taste aside, I think it still has to be recognised as some achievement.

The Brain
    Oh sure, the fact that it's well regarded is an accomplishment in and of itself. Doubly so when you look at what they did in WCW, when left to their own devices. Thank god for Pat Patterson, eh?

But I still kind of feel like this is the whole match: