Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,521 to 1,553 of 1553

Thread: NXT General Discussion

Got hurt pretty early on. Hard to tell really. Never really got going

The Brain
    Too bad. I love the current group though, so no worries. I didn't much care for Wolfe until this most recent Takeover, but he was GREAT in that tag match so I'm basically in on all four of them at this point.

Fulton had been around for a while, but never really shown anything of note. Didn't they try and run some kind of homosexual/fashion conscious guy angle with him for about a week then abandon it?

Shane he got injured, poor guy, but I don't think anybody would argue that Dain was an upgrade.

The Brain
    Dain is an upgrade on just about anybody. That guy has a potentially high ceiling, probably not world champ but we're talking strong midcard act if all goes well.

The Fulton stuff reminds me of Oliver Grey. Remember him, from the very first NXT tag champs? Guy was injured and, to my memory, basically never heard from again. Although I am now realizing that I saw him work Rev Pro a couple years ago, though I had no idea it was him at the time because he left very little impression on me either time.

I think Grey ended up as at least an auditionee on the UK Gut Check thingy TNA did. But yeah, he and Neville were champs, he got injured, and then they ran with Neville and Graves while Grey vanished.

Velveteen Dream looked great in defeat and the match with Black was well done on both sides. Very entertaining match.

Women’s match wasn’t bad. Lots of action. Good for Ember.

Holy shit can’t believe Almas won the title. I’ve thought past 12 months he’s really done some good work after a tough start. About to watch the main event now.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 11-19-2017 at 02:11 AM.

I wish they'd put the title on Royce. Would assume that Same is poised to be the first challenger, given that she didn't get pinned or take the Eclipse.

only stands to reason that the Iconic duo are heading to the main roster

Drew Mac hurt his biceps. As one of the few Drew Mac fans here, that has to really suck for him. I think he was about to go back to the main roster.

If he was heading to the main roster than that injury is probably a good thing. He was headed for a repeat of his first run at this point. He needs to find something that catches on with fans before going up.

Watched this back a second time today - I think this might be my favourite Takeover since the Sami/Owens headlined ones. I think the only one since Unstoppable I'd put in the same conversation as it is probably Dallas, with a nod to Toronto just based on DIY vs Revival, really.

There was just no wasted moment on the card, for me - very small niggles in some places, but nothing completely out of place. The build had its faults, especially the War Games match itself which felt rather too hasty and I'd like to have seen germinate for another round of shows before the next Takeover, but the actual card delivered top to bottom. Sullivan looked fantastic taking on Ohno, and that was probably the lowest point on the card for me. Dream vs Black was match of the night, which comes off the best feud going in anyway. I'm quite excited by the future of Velveteen Dream - can't believe he's only 22 years old. He's probably the one character I would tune in to NXT to see coming off the back of Takeover if I wasn't already a regular viewer. I know the guy has worked in a lot of places - heck, he held tag titles in one of them with Lio Rush - so obviously had some talent in the ring before coming in, but Saturday was a break out performance for him.

Almas vs McIntyre might just be the best NXT Championship match since Zayn vs Neville. Sure, I enjoyed Roode's run of matches (Balor's stunk the joint out, Nak/Joe was fairly average repeatedly) but I think this one usurped them all. Perfectly pitched, perfectly performed, and hey - now we've got Almas as champion which opens some doors for new faces in the main event scene. As with the War Games bout, I think they could have drawn out Almas' story here a little to really get the crowd going, but essentially NXT just ran a redemption angle (of sorts) with an egotistical heel who needed to stop partying and start focussing. Extra points if at the next Takeover he comes out with Alex Wright and Disco Inferno dancing around him for no reason. And then beats them both up.

The main did what it needed to do, didn't outstay the welcome it had, and wasn't overly tiresome. One of those little niggles is that they didn't go for a submission ending on it - even though the match could end by pinfall, I kind of liked the idea that someone would get beaten (relatively) so badly that they had to give up. Especially if it was Roderick Strong. So it was a little sanitised, but I thought the actual match itself was perfectly done.

I feel like NXT has a good spring board from here to go on and have a stellar 2018 after a stuttering couple of years. If McIntyre is out for a while, you've got to start lining up some new faces to take on Almas - I think we might well get a redo of Black vs Almas, which of course was Black's first NXT match, around the Rumble, which should be interesting. Dream clearly needs to continue his efforts by getting a high profile match with someone else that he actually wins out in, and I hope they don't go back to the well of Dream vs Black on the weekly show. Sullivan should continue his reign of terror, but I honestly don't know where he goes next with it - probably someone on a similar level to Ohno, if we're being honest. I don't think he's going to get super elevated in the next couple of months.

The worst thing they could do coming out is run with Cole vs Almas at the Rumble. I'd probably guess that we're going to get:

Almas vs Black
    Sanity (w/Dain) vs ReDragon (w/Cole)
    Moon vs Sane

As our three big matches. Then a couple of others - personally I'd like to see something in the vein of Strong vs Dream as one of them.

Almas vs Gargano. If Ciampa is able to return in time for Mania weekend, have those two end the show feuding for the title.

They already laid the seeds via the Almas/Gargano feud earlier in the year.

Dream will absolutely be screwed when he comes to the main roster. Vince won't know how to book him.

I think Dream will be OK. Vince sure did fine with Goldust in the past, and the gimmicks aren't greatly different.

Researching again, third time now, two new observations dawned on me.

- I think I've said before, but McIntyre is huge and actually looks huge in NXT. He looked almost as tall as Alma's on one knee at the start of the match, and having Vega stand up to him then drove it home because he towered over her on one knee, let alone when he stood up.

- I'm surprised there wasn't a single match other than the main that made use of the two rings. Especially the four-way or the main event. I'd have thought Almas would have had a few things in his locker that would make use of the opportunity for having a pair of ropes to spring off in the middle. I know it keeps the main special, in a way, but I'd have thought we'd have seen one or two people make use of that.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I think Dream will be OK. Vince sure did fine with Goldust in the past, and the gimmicks aren't greatly different.
    So he'll be just fine, assuming he gets called up in 1996.

I wonder if talent was told not to use the second ring, because otherwise it's really bizarre how little it was used.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I'm concerned he'll be a gay stereotype within a month, rather than the nuanced androgynous guy who can kick ass gimmick that he is. He's Prince now, I don't want to see him become Rico.

- I'm surprised there wasn't a single match other than the main that made use of the two rings. Especially the four-way or the main event. I'd have thought Almas would have had a few things in his locker that would make use of the opportunity for having a pair of ropes to spring off in the middle. I know it keeps the main special, in a way, but I'd have thought we'd have seen one or two people make use of that.
    I think that was on purpose. The first time they'd ever done War Games, they saved every part of the gimmick for the main.

My one gripe with Takeover was that they don't know how to produce two rings so a lot of camera angles were off and things were missed. The Black Mass was out of frame entirely when it happened and you didn't get a decent shot until the replay. There were a few spots in the women's match that had the same issue.

Actually, I noticed it at the last PPV, too. In that Finn/AJ match especially there were a few production hiccups like the camera catching AJ bumping on the floor but completely missing that it was off a devastating Balor running soccer kick to the face.

Squared
    Been a couple of months now, what are people making of Almas as the NXT Champion?

@lopprimetime

I think it's a tricky one to tell yet - in all honesty, the best thing about him is Zelina Vega right now, who is doing the Lord's work putting him over. He looked good against Aichner, and his sit down last week was good too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW4BcmbamGg

I'm kind of assuming that there's a Ciampa presence to be considered at Takeover: Philly which will cost Gargano either the title itself or his post-match moment. Which, you know, will be fine.

More interested in them going Extreme Rules for Black/Cole at the moment. Didn't really feel like there was enough heat between the two of them to warrant it just yet, but hopefully that picks up over the month.

Almas is like McIntyre as champ at this point; just there. Neither were really booked to do anything special and they are barely part of storylines. The title became an afterthought as soon as McIntyre won it off Roode.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Almas is like McIntyre as champ at this point; just there. Neither were really booked to do anything special and they are barely part of storylines. The title became an afterthought as soon as McIntyre won it off Roode.
    This sums up my thoughts pretty well. I'm not watching NXT nearly as closely as I used to, partly because I can't imagine being drawn in by Almas, who still leaves me cold whenever I come across him.

I'm definitely looking forward to the blood feud with Gargano and Ciampa though. Only question is will the title be involved. I'm thinking it won't be (and probably doesn't need to be).

Super Moderator
    You know, I don't think that the feud needs it but after a fairly uninteresting Drew run and Cien's run so far, I'd almost say that the title is in need of the feud more than the feud in need of the title.

I'd definitely agree with that.

I haven't been watching NXT regularly for months but it seems like Triple H is putting more focus into the Womens division, tag guys, Velveteen Dream and Black than the the top title contenders..

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    You know, I don't think that the feud needs it but after a fairly uninteresting Drew run and Cien's run so far, I'd almost say that the title is in need of the feud more than the feud in need of the title.
    Or you could, you know, let the highly charismatic man you gave the title to after grinding him into oblivion for over a year actually be a highly charismatic champion with his highly charismatic manager, while Ciampa and Gargano do their own thing. Just a thought!

The Authors of Pain actually talked tonight. Short and sweet. Baszler is hard to watch.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Baszler is hard to watch.
    In what possible way?

I'm a fan of Baszler. I've not been exposed to her until the MYC, so don't have any underlying opinion. A decent impact in her early days. I maybe wouldn't have put her in the title scene so early, but it's interesting as unlike with Asuka, you don't know what's going to happen in a women's title match.

I'm more interested in Baszler than I am in Moon, in all honesty.

Their Takeover match should be fun.

The Brain
    Their match is definitely the most interesting to me on the card. Like, by an incredibly large margin.

I can't wait for Ohno vs. Velveteen Dream

The Brain
    That's my #2 most interesting match, for sure.

Yaah I'm pretty much looking forward to every match but the women's title match. I don't know if the heat will be there during the match, but Gargano/Almas will be excellent.

Dream looked great against Gargano last night.

Dream opening the program cold was absolutely excellent. Man, the work he and NXT have done with the gimmick is so flipping good.