Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NXT General Discussion

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Enzo is out for 6 months.....NOOOOOOOOOOO. S-A-W-F-T....sad faced.

Just watched nXT this week, That girl on commentary was BRUTAL.

I also think Luke Harper vs Kassius Ohno was stupid good.

I am frustrated with Hunter's eye for "talent".
    Last edited by Irishsara; 11-11-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    Enzo is out for 6 months.....NOOOOOOOOOOO. S-A-W-F-T....sad faced.
    He better have a wheelchair and just accompany Big Cass. The latter without the former is like an V8 engine without a fancy car around it. Hopefully they don't both disappear as a result of this.

Sara, 'that girl' is Renee Young who has been on NXT for ages, so you know who she is. And if you're reviewing her performance as BRUTAL it was nothing to the performance of Alex Riley, which is...I don't know, BRUTALLER I guess. Renee's at least engaging, Riley's just dire. The commentary on NXT hit a real low point last week, though, I'd agree with that as a general comment - all three members of the booth were poor. Young/Regal/Saxton the week before, on the other hand, worked really well for me. Tensai was good the other week, too.

I really liked Tensai, he came across really well. Alex Riley just doesnt have it. Im sure he has a great work ethic but he just isnt good. I hope he can learn video editing.

Renee Young is fine as a backstage mic holder. I dont mind her as a host even (although why her over a legend im not sure) for the DVDs I just think her voice was graiting, especially over Ohno's last match i would have killed for Regal and Striker.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Renee Young is fine as a backstage mic holder. I dont mind her as a host even (although why her over a legend im not sure) for the DVDs I just think her voice was graiting, especially over Ohno's last match i would have killed for Regal and Striker.
    Give her time. She was the "host", for lack of a better word, up here in Canada for WWE programming on The Score and hosted a post-show where they dissected the angles and such. From what I saw there she has a good charisma and is knowledgeable about what she's watching, it might just take some time to find her "announcer voice".

Worst case scenario, she never makes it out of NXT. But by god do I think that they need some youth and energy on the main show announce teams. Cole has become a great anchor but Lawler is old and out of touch and JBL and staggering drunkenly in that direction as well. Replace one of them with A-Ri, Renee or, hell, anyone just to get some youth, energy, vigor and more current jokes on commentary.

11/13/13 NXT:

Byron Saxton, Tensai, & William Regal on commentary

Bayley & Charlotte vs. Summer Rae & Sasha Banks

Aiden English backstage segment

Camacho vs. Aiden English

Lana & Alexander Rusev backstage segment

Danny Burch vs. Mason Ryan

Emma vignette

2 out of 3 falls: Corey Graves vs. Adrian Neville

Need to interrupt this discussion for a very important service announcement.

back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Can't wait to watch the above Ep.....Any chance we get a Mason Ryan V Russev match at some point? NXT doesn't do too many HOSS matches tho...

Renee just needs some time....she didn't sound bad, she sound out of place and that can be corrected with pratice. A-Ri on the other hand need to get back in the ring where he belongs.

Super Moderator
    I'm very much in favour of bringing up some younger commentators and putting King out to pasture.

They try to appeal to a younger demographic, that's great, but then the people talking to these younger fans and trying to convince them to buy the pay per view might as well be their parents.

I mean, King still looks great (I hope I look half as good as him at 63), but it doesn't change the fact that he's starting to look more his age. JBL is only in his mid-40s and can still pull off the older, veteran, slightly cranky thing. Michael Cole has become the "voice" of the WWE in his mid-40s in much the same way JR was 15 years ago.

Get someone like Brad Maddox, Renee Young, Byron Saxton, someone younger in King's role so that at least there's someone who is somewhat relateable in the booth trying to convince the 15-year-old to convince his parents to purchase the PPV.

King is largely silent unless he's cracking a lame "dad" joke and then they put him on camera to try and tell us to install the app? Not be to "ageist" but I can barely believe that he knows how to install the app. I feel like I should be teaching him. It just doesn't come off as genuine. As soon as he makes one of his jokes or appears on screen in his "mid life crisis t-shirts" it makes the whole show feel "old" and lame.

I'm not saying that there isn't a role for some of the legends. Dusty more than proved that wrong two months ago. Maybe once The Authority angle is wrapped he'd make a good GM of Raw where they trot him out at the top of the show and in a segment or two or let him use the fact that he knows how to be a damn good heel as an agent or a manager for a babyface who needs a mouthpiece that can cut a promo. He's still a beloved figure on the show.

Or, here's an idea: they can call up Byron Saxton and let King go to Florida where he can enjoy all of the sun and fun, and let him use his 15-years of broadcast experience to help train the future. He's never been the top announcer, but listen to Miz talk about commentating with Michael Cole and just how much multitasking is involved and how difficult it really is. Let him try to help these guys learn the ropes while making NXT seem like a bigger deal by adding the "veteran" colour guy to the booth.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 11-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phemom View Post
    Can't wait to watch the above Ep.....Any chance we get a Mason Ryan V Russev match at some point? NXT doesn't do too many HOSS matches tho...
    They actually did that match about a month and a half ago. Was easily the best match I remember ever seeing Mason Ryan in, which just made me a bigger fan of Rusev.

Reality Champ
    The problem with the NXT booth is that they have a little bit too much fun with it. I enjoy the banter, but some times it just goes so far from what's going on in the ring, that I almost feel the need to mute it.

The Brain
    Better than the Raw booth, where they constantly stray from the action and it's not even fun in the meantime. Ech.

Except for Riley I haven't terribly minded anyone they've put down there that I've heard, nice change of pace if nothing else.

Tushy
    personally i think NXT is more entertaining than most of the stuff on Raw and Smackdown combined. the future of WWE looks promising if this is anything to go by. really enjoying watching the likes of Aiden English, Enzo,Adrain Neville and Sami plus the NXT diva division is vastly superior to most of the main roster

NXT Superstars

Just noticed there wasn't an NXT thread set-up after the reset. So here's your place to talk about the up and coming talent from NXT.

Starting things off, Sami Callihan, now known as Solomon Crowe in NXT just debuted his hacker gimmick at a live event. Apparently he hacked the arena, turned the lights off, and attacked Kalisto. He carries a tablet with him for his hacking.

Not sure if this will work long term though. Seems like it could get old fast.

Oliver
    Ooh, that sounds kind of cool actually. Like you Trips, not sure how long it will last (I always saw Callihan as pulling a Raven-esque gimmick in NXT, for some reason. No idea why, possibly just based off his look) but at least it's something character based. Hopefully he'll hit the show proper soon, as well as Kalisto.

Open point, but what are people's thoughts on Mojo Rawley so far? I can't work out if I like him or hate him at the moment - his ass-based offence is a curious one for me.

The Brain
    Sounds a bit too gimmicky for my taste on Solomon. Hacking is more of a skill than a character. Maybe if it's used infrequently it can work, but on a week to week basis it's too thin.

Mojo needs some work I think, his whole presentation seems weak at the moment. He's not a lost cause, but he needs to do something more to make me take any kind of real notice.

MRB
    Mojo is extremely annoying.

Dario
    I dislike Mojo, too.

The whole positive energy/stay hyped thing reminds me of Alex Riley when he turned face. He brought the same thing to the table, except he didn't talk about it and was also a better wrestler. I don't see the hype about Mojo.

DarkForces
    Another lights going out gimmick? Let the Wyatt's get another year or so under them before you go doing that.

Mojo is someone I'd love to see In a Kofi Kingston situation right now. Shows up, wrestles, doesn't talk. I would of course move Kofi to a feud where he can talk.

Is it sad that my favourite person right now is Bo? His heel turn came so naturally and his current attitude is amazing. Whoever brings him down will be huge. Here's hoping Zayn will get it.

Oliver
    Bo's amazing. I don't think I've 180'd on someone as quickly or as hard as I have on him ever.

This is the Solomon Crowe video, in case anyone missed it on the MP:

I think it's quite interesting, and reasonably on the pulse. Would be interesting to see - if he just turns up, takes someone out, then vanishes again, that's at least going to give an intriguing storyline to start with.

The Brain
    Damn, the presentation on that was much better than what I imagined so I'll give it that. I still think it's an iffy idea for an overall gimmick though. And what kind of 1990s AOL modem noises were coming out of the speakers?? It sort of worked atmospherically but makes no sense if you think about it for a second. Unless he hacked that as well? I dunno, just seems like too much of a stretch to make a regular thing out of. We'll see if they can tweak it. Again, excellent on the presentation side so hopefully they can salvage something of it.

OK, so right now im watching RF Video's shoot with Kassius Ohno/Chris Hero (already really cool by the way) and He just said Richie Steamboat was released. I dunno if that means he is still in an open contract while he rehabs the injury or if the WWE had him sign a different contract but im sad now.

Anyone hear anything different?

if anyone is REALLY interested in NXT then you should check out the Hero Shoot (part II) its really about developmental.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 12-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    I dislike Mojo, too.

The whole positive energy/stay hyped thing reminds me of Alex Riley when he turned face. He brought the same thing to the table, except he didn't talk about it and was also a better wrestler. I don't see the hype about Mojo.
    I mean, he's basically going for the Ultimate Warrior gimmick, but more athletic than him. He's a big guy who can literally jump across the ring who is high-energy. I will tell you this. The dude can talk. Dunno why he came off so stiff in the promo with Dawson, maybe he was nervous or something, but once he gets over the nerves, he can be a great talker. He needs a new finisher baaaaaaadly though.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    The whole positive energy/stay hyped thing reminds me of Alex Riley when he turned face. He brought the same thing to the table, except he didn't talk about it and was also a better wrestler.
    A-Ri also had a good theme to go with the hype, but NXT doesn't give no fucks about music...so whatever.

anyways, entertainment wise I think he should be put in a tag team with someone who's constantly dry & boring (I don't think NXT has a person like that, like Eli Cottonwood, but better)...so Mojo has to actually hype his teammate to be better during matches.

Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    He needs a new finisher baaaaaaadly though.
    I've been thinking this recently. I'd really love him to have a spear, but with Reigns nailing it on the main roster I'm not sure if WWE would want another guy doing it. Would really suit him though, his speed and power plus his football background would all play into it.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I've been thinking this recently. I'd really love him to have a spear, but with Reigns nailing it on the main roster I'm not sure if WWE would want another guy doing it. Would really suit him though, his speed and power plus his football background would all play into it.
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, though if they wanted to slow down on how many people use the spear, they could give him The Pounce.

Goldberg Rules!
    Why not the Gronk or Horse Collar?

Super Moderator
    Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, though if they wanted to slow down on how many people use the spear, they could give him The Pounce.
    The Pooooooooouuuuuuuuuunce!

Love that move.

The Brain
    Is he big enough to do a decent powerbomb? It's been too long since we had a good powerbomb on the roster...

Powerbombs happen as regular moves now though.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    How about a running powerbomb, like D-Lo Brown used to do?

Tushy
    I think WWE are pretty down on that move after what happened to droz back in the 90's would be cool to see although at this stage I don't think Mojo or indeed the recipient of the move would be confident enough to perform it. One thing NXT does have over the main roster is in its womens division. Personally I would take Paige,Emma and Bailey over Rosa and the Total Diva rookies any day...........And now I sound like Jerry Lawler!!!!

Reality Champ
    Here's some inside info on Mojo. He suggested a shooting star press as his finisher, did it once in the gym, and was told never to do it again.

No one will ever use a running powerbomb unless its safely into the turnbuckle.

Dr. Death used a backdrop driver that I think Mojo would look great using. Its basicly a high angle belly to back suplex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxanIU_8Ka0
    Last edited by Irishsara; 12-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    Stupid WWE and their logical banning of neck dropping moves. I would love to see someone do a Tiger Suplex....I don't think there's a safe way to do it tho.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    No one will ever use a running powerbomb unless its safely into the turnbuckle.

Dr. Death used a backdrop driver that I think Mojo would look great using. Its basicly a high angle belly to back suplex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxanIU_8Ka0
    Yes...give the guy who never stepped in a ring until about 14 months ago a move that if you're a fraction of an inch off, you kill your opponent.

Super Moderator
    ...A powerbomb really isn't all that dangerous. Hell, I gave a guy one accidentally a few weeks ago.

Sure, you can slip like D-Lo did with Droz, but there's risk inherent in any wrestling move. A back suplex could break your neck just as easily.

It doesn't take long to learn how to do the move safely. That'e the easy part of wrestling. Hell, a chimp could learn how to do wrestling moves. Get the guy into position, take a step or three and give a falling powerbomb.

There are too many guys with fireman's finishers right now, too many with DDT variations and moves like the Zig Zag. I've always been partial to the simple Sid Vicious, standing powerbomb. Give it a little extra oomph (which is safer because you get to guide them all the way to the ground) like Sid did and you have a winner.

Tushy
    What in the hell were you doing to accidentally give a guy a powerbomb!!?? A choke slam as his opponent returns following being whipped into the ropes might work or perhaps a black hole slam. A chimp can learn to use wrestling moves? somewhere backstage John Cena is hanging his head in shame!
    Last edited by Tushy; 12-13-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Super Moderator
    Guy was going for a standing rana but his technique wasn't what I was expecting so it wound up being more of a John Cena Hurricanrana, which I will heretofore affectionately refer to as the "powerbomb monkey flip".

Yes...give the guy who never stepped in a ring until about 14 months ago a move that if you're a fraction of an inch off, you kill your opponent.
    Takeshi Morishima does a pretty safe one. He wouldnt need to look like hes dropping an opponent on his neck. If the angle is high enough it doesnt land like a belly to back suplex but rather with a much cleaner backdrop.

A twisting Uranage would also work.