Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cody Rhodes thread

Cody Rhodes thread

So looks like he fucked up his knee doing that cage moonsault. Tweeted a pic of wearing a knee brace.

I hope he never does that spot again. its a dumb spot and he's too young to mess up his future like that.

DBPanterA
    We don't know how bad it was though. He eluded to a most likely medial collateral ligament sprain (severity unknown). What immediately jumps out to me is that the MCL is attached to the medial meniscus and anterior cruciate ligament to form what many physicians refer to as "the unhappy triad." This is why when you see a running back or wide receiver get blown up from a hit that pushes their knee in toward the center of their body, the injury report generally has quite a few different diagnosis.

He most likely will have reduced ring time, but should hopefully be back to normal relatively soon....

It does mean he shouldn't be doing that spot though. Especially to someone standing meaning Cody has no protection.

Super Moderator
    Yeah, it's all around a pointless bump. I'm flabbergasted that he didn't shatter his forearm. Did you see the force with which it hit the mat?

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    It does mean he shouldn't be doing that spot though. Especially to someone standing meaning Cody has no protection.
    I completely agree. Rhodes should have never attempted that. However, remember last week's Raw? For the most part, the entire 3 hours were mediocre to bad until the Bryan/Orton match. This is on WWE and WWE creative for giving Omaha such a bad product. I feel the spot was written in because everything to that point had been forgotten. Heck, I watched the show 4 days ago and only remember Rhodes' spot, Orton/Bryan, and Del Rio bitch slapping Batista, what the hell else happened?

I guess this is where I feel WWE needs to re-evaluate how it books those 3 hours, something Stone Cold Steve Austin routinely criticizes during his podcasts. They need to take a page from WCW and use the first hour on Divas/new talents/green talents/rookies, etc. and build to a crescendo. Having important events at the top of the hour then nothing from :15 to :55 makes it hard to follow. (tangent rant, I apologize).

Cody is continuing to wrestle so it couldn't have been that severe. I would assume he will be in a cast for the most of the month of February and then lose it. However, considering this is WM season, I believe WWE will protect him by having him not wrestle as much until he is as close to 100% as he can get....

DBPanterA
    ^By cast I mean brace. Boner on my end......

I think Cody did that spot on his own. You don't tell wrestlers to do a spot like that.

wfrw07
    FWIW, and I don't think is really a spoiler alert (Smackdown this week if you don't want to know yet); Cody was on TV and although he didn't wrestle, he took a bump. With that shot Tuesday, I would really like to think if his injury was any type of serious, that wouldn't have happened.

I'm very high on Cody, always have been so I just don't want him to get injured badly.. It doesn't look like he will have a big role at Mania unless they do the split with Goldust. He can chill for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I think Cody did that spot on his own. You don't tell wrestlers to do a spot like that.
    He had been doing it on house shows and I think it probably went better.

Also Id love to see Cody getting his hands on a cast like hes Bob Orton.

Hylton
    I like Cody more than I ever have, but I thin that has a lot to do with Goldust being on of my all time faves. I said years ago that Cody Rhodes would never be a World Champ because I don't think he has the 'it' factor. Still, I could see him as a great midcarder for years to come. I hope he's okay, because the Brotherhood is one of my favorite things going right now.

So, I take one Raw off, and this is what I missed? Starmn from NES Pro Wrestling?

Steamy Ray Vaughn
    I kind of like it. It's clearly a carbon copy of Goldust, but I don't care, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

The Cool No. 9
    I wonder who decided to package all the Rhodes the way they did for WWE.

Like how does American Dream get the polka dots, how does son of American dream become "Goldust" in the first place.. Then we get Stardust out of Cody Rhodes.. That itself is curious to me. Seems like they could have all just went out in regular trunks/regular attire and have been regular wrestlers and would have done quite well at it all along. They have enough ring and mike skills to do it.

That's just an observation of mine, and the source of my initial frustration over Stardust..
    Last edited by The Cool No. 9; 06-20-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Dusty covers this on Legends of Wrestling (well, not as far forward as Stardust).

It got a little muddled (at one point Dusty mentioned off hand that someone else suggested polka dots to him to liven up a plain singlet) but the story seems to be that Dusty believes that he was put in polka dots, partially to humble him. Not to embarrass him or make him look like an idiot, but to humble him and show him that even a multi-time world champion isn't bigger than the company.

He didn't mind the polka dots in the least, according to him. He was just coming off of a really stressful booking run and Vince gave him the opportunity not to worry about anyone but Dusty and just have a little fun. He said that the vignettes they shot for him were a ton of fun. He actually says, with a bit of a smirk, that as soon as he saw the polka dots he thought to himself "this is gonna get over".

With Goldust, Dusty really didn't like the character, but his take was that Dustin had been "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes/Runnels for so long and had never really be able to get out from under his father's shadow and really come into his own. He has so much talent, but just didn't seem able to put all of the pieces together.

Goldust immediately got him out from his father's shadow, separated the two, and let him really show off just how great he truly was. He took a gimmick that shouldn't have gotten over and used his ability to make it one of the most beloved and remembered ever.

Stardust is a means to an end. I have no doubt about it. But even if it catches on and sticks around, it's fun, getting over and getting him screen time and wins. Cody's got an even bigger task than Dustin having to get out from the shadow of a legendary father and older brother and the feud with Goldust that's going to come from this Stardust character could be just the thing to do it.

Hylton
    Stardust is sweet. What did Cody have going for him other than being an above average wrestler who was the son of Dusty? Do you really think Dustin would have gone this far had he not been Goldust? People LOVE gimmicks, and this one works.

I am really surprised that Irishsara didn't pick up on this, but very early in the career of Dusty Rhodes, he was also known as "Stardust".

Powder, did you know 15 minutes can save 15 percent or more on car insurance?

Get with the times, you can use Esurance and spend only 7.5 minutes.

Point being is that Irishsara has not needed to put it in this thread, she's mentioned it several times before, and it's common knowledge to most IWC fans.

The Cool No. 9
    Wasn't privy to that information before but I guess I'll find my way on the bandwagon. After all can't say it isn't entertaining and he's a good wrestler.

Hylton
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool No. 9 View Post
    Wasn't privy to that information before but I guess I'll find my way on the bandwagon. After all can't say it isn't entertaining and he's a good wrestler.
    You are WRONG and I hate you.

The Cool No. 9
    It's kinda cool they gave him one of Dusty's old nicknames, and at least it wasn't some completely batshit random gimmick.

It is both. Yes its Dusty's old nickname, but it also fits in the Goldust theme.

Super Moderator
    I am really enjoying this over-the-top super villain gimmick that he's going and adding The Ascension as his henchmen is genius. They were doing nothing and this will get them on TV, give Cody a few heaters to extend this feud a bit and make him look like a leader and they just look really good together. The Ascension have a look that fits perfectly as Stardust's henchmen and he's high enough on the card to raise them up and hopefully give them some credibility which they really need.

Stellar booking.

I was kinda hoping that Axel & Sandow would become his henchmen, complete with their names on their shirts ala the 60s Batman show.

Now the only thing Stardust needs is a Diva moll on his side, that is always falling for the babyface. Poor deluded girl.

Reality Champ
    Stardust and Stephen Amell are at Dallas Comicon together and Amell said "If he wants a singles match, all he has to do is ask." At this point I'd be pretty surprised if it DIDN'T happen at Mania.

I'm really excited to see Cody's Last Cowboy Doc. it sounds exciting.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I really want to see the Arrow V Stardust match. Then it can lead to the return of Cody

As far as sheer star power, where does Cody currently rank in terms of attainable non-WWE talents? And by attainable I mean discounting guys like CM Punk, Batista, etc.?

He's got to be top 3, right? I'd say behind Jericho and the Young Bucks?

Squared
    I can't speak to everyone's opinions but given the divisive nature of The Young Bucks.... well, I'm more interested in seeing Cody, put it that way.

Very high on the list, whichever way you look at it.

If you haven't seen Cody outside of WWE....as a fan of the guy, you're not missing much in ring. In fact, most of his ROH title defenses have been poor to meh.

Not to say that you can't respect the hustle and i always thought his character work was his greatest strength... but the matches...not so good.

I've not seen any of his defenses but I've heard the same thing as Lazyking; that he's really not all that interesting as Champ and his matches have just been fair, with none really be show stoppers.

The Brain
    I think his outside-WWE work has been better than it's been made out to be, but he's not having 5 star classics every night out there. Nor did I expect him to, he's never been the "workrate" guy. Dude has a certain charisma that WWE couldn't seem to get a handle on, and people just want to see him, especially if he's working a character/angle. The fact that he's a notable draw on the indy scene is pretty well established at this point, whereas guys like Swagger and others haven't been able to make much impact. The American Nightmare thing is not a bad jumping off point for him, and I still think he's doing himself a big favor by taking this route rather than continuing on as Stardust or whatever.

As far as ranking the draws, I don't think he's as high as the Bucks or Omega (if you count him) but he's probably the next biggest thing. Not sure where Joey Ryan ranks in all that, though he's got a case as well.

I don't really count Jericho and will continue not to do so until he works something other than the Tokyo Dome. It gets complicated if you count Japan in general, so I'll leave that out for now.

I'd say Cody's best non-WWE performance to date is his bullrope match with Lethal back at Supercard of Honor this year, that was a great one and probably the best example of what he can do in the right circumstances.

Cody's work in ROH is fine it just rarely stands out. its not a workrate thing but in a promotion like that, which is just a vanity bullet club promotion, yet expectations are still high for main events and the cody main events remind me of like poor WWE main events. No denying his charisma and hustle like i said. I'm actually very happy for him.

The Brain
    The over-exposure on the Bullet Club in general in ROH is a huge problem. I'm not sure if they get involved in most of his main events or not, but they could definitely be scaled WAY back. I know they're popular but Jesus Christ, it's way over the top sometimes.

i mean its gotten to the point that its all they have. Everyone latches onto the club and none of the ROH guys ever really get to shine. They do have some talent there, its just so Bullet club centric.. what happens if all those people leave or popularity fades? Yikes

The Brain
    For sure, for sure. I don't know if it's nWo levels of over-exposure, but it's in that ballpark. One more way they can imitate the original.

Squared
    I always thought Cody was a bit under-appreciated in his WWE run, that he was a fine wrestler but one working a fairly old school ethic that would go unnoticed at times. So I guess I'll have to make an effort to search this out for myself and have a look.

The Brain
    I do recommend that Lethal bullrope match (4/1/17) if you can find it. Other good matches I've seen from him since leaving WWE would be vs. Mike Bennett on Impact (10/13/16), vs. Marty Scurll in PWG (9/4/16), and with the Bullet Club against Okada, Ospreay, and the Briscoes on an ROH/NJPW show (2/27/17).