Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cody Rhodes thread

Squared
    I may have to start to find the time to check out the RoH TV again. I was watching it fairly religiously at one point but as I got busier it just kind of fell away. Things that you have to log in and sit at the computer to watch rather than sitting in comfort looking at the big TV always seem to be the first to go when it comes to wrestling: for me, anyway.

The Brain
    Maybe look into a way to getting what's on your computer on to your TV? There's a fair few ways to do it these days.

As I mentioned before (here or somewhere), my biggest obstacle to ROH is their distribution is fucking awful. They are one of the only company's not to fully embrace VOD or a decent streaming service, and it can be all but impossible to find their stuff legitimately. There are shoe string indys who distribute better than ROH does. As long as they're working with NJPW, they should try to get them to just put up 100% of their stuff on New Japan World, including their older stuff (which is often nearly impossible to find by ANY means). That or suck it up and find a way to get Sinclair to pay for an actual service of their own.

Super Moderator
    Chromecast, bay-bay!

I watched last month's Global Wars this weekend on YouTube through my Chromecast. I can usually find Raw live if I'm interested enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Maybe look into a way to getting what's on your computer on to your TV? There's a fair few ways to do it these days.

As I mentioned before (here or somewhere), my biggest obstacle to ROH is their distribution is fucking awful. They are one of the only company's not to fully embrace VOD or a decent streaming service, and it can be all but impossible to find their stuff legitimately. There are shoe string indys who distribute better than ROH does. As long as they're working with NJPW, they should try to get them to just put up 100% of their stuff on New Japan World, including their older stuff (which is often nearly impossible to find by ANY means). That or suck it up and find a way to get Sinclair to pay for an actual service of their own.
    Joe Koff has been saying in recent interviews that in 2018 ROH will finally have their own streaming service.. They've even tested it apparently.. i would love to have all the 2002 thru 2007 shows up..

Funny thing though, i remember hearing Court Bauer say that when he worked for ROH a few years ago, they wern't even looking to convert their footage and put it online... How the times change.

The Brain
    I mean, you basically HAVE to now. They're lagging way, way behind on that front. Good to know they are finally going to get with the program.

Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks are self fiananicng a 10,000 seat venue to run a show in 2018. No venue is set, not sure if ROH will be involved.... whatever you think of Cody and the bucks, I admire the ambition and hope it sells out.... Just to see it happen.

I saw that earlier today. I do admire them doing it, and they have quite a platform to achieve this. It's certainly a lofty goal in today's environment. I kind of hope that neither ROH nor any other wrestling promotion are involved, to be honest. I wouldn't want them to have to deal with any type of constraints, so they can do things how they see fit based on their experience in the independent scene as well as being able to get the big name talent needed to fill a venue of that size.

I have doubts that they can pull off something like this without losing a massive amount of money, to be honest. A comment I read elsewhere that got me thinking if this is a viable idea is that using ROH as an example, their biggest show ever was this year's Supercard of Honor. The attendance of that show was 3,500, with the Young Bucks and The Hardyz headlining a show with a lot of great talent, and it was during Wrestlemania weekend in nearby Orlando, so it took advantage of the crowd flying in to Wrestlemania as well. It's too late to really be promoting something that big for Wrestlemania, so it sounds like an uphill battle to get a sell-out in that big of an arena.

The only other thing I can think about is them holding a massive show in England, where independent wrestling is white-hot right now. They're a bit more starved for big-name talent than in the U.S., so it might be more viable over there.

Squared
    You have to admire the ambition, especially as trying to fill a 10,000 seater is aiming for roughly the same as a typical WWE PPV will pull in. Sure, the big ones get more than that, but 8000-15000 is the more typical size arena that they go for, for say a Battleground or Extreme Rules.

I like the idea of doing it in England. I imagine to make the most of it you'd probably have to do it in London, and the O2 Arena might be a bit too big if they are after a sell out (it holds 20,000), but you could get 12,500 in the Wembley Arena. And yeah, it's the sort of show that would draw in wrestling fans from miles around - especially if they could get some big international names on the undercard.

PROGRESS already has Wembley Arena booked for next September, so there's certainly the opportunity there. I don't know how well PROGRESS will sell for Wembley - I think their biggest show to date is Chase The Sun which had about 2,000 in Alexandra Palace if I'm right - but I think the buzz around them will let ticket sales for it run to a near sell out, especially if they don't overprice it.

The Rhodes/Bucks thing seems to have come from Meltzer saying that RoH won't sell out a 10k arena 'any time soon' in a Tweet, so I would assume it's going to be done under their banner. And hey, there's a certain RoH mainstay who has a WWE contract that expires in September 2018 that I think a lot of people will pay to see just turn up. Not suggesting that's how they go (or that Bryan will wrestle at all) but I think they could do those kind of numbers fairly comfortably with the right card and a good build.

EDIT: Further on PROGRESS - looking at tickets for it they've sold out two groups of seating and only have a one lot left. These are the lower price tickets. It's possible that they're not attempting the whole of Wembley Arena.
    Last edited by Oliver; 11-28-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Even if Bryan is wrestling post WWE, the 90 day clause is still in effect and so he wouldn't be able to work a show until December. I don't think Cody and the Bucks are shooting for that show. The thing about doing this is that anything less than 10,000 would be deemed a failure. You can't go with the goal of shutting someone up by selling out an arena to only filling half the building...

However, I don't really see the downside of trying it. Even if it doesn't sell out and its a money loser, that just means they won't do it again. Cody and the bucks do really well for themselves and i don't think people will stop supporting them if they don't sell out. The upside is it does sell out and you can make a claim that you've done something people thought only WWE could do.

Edit: I also don't think it will be in the UK. if ROH works with them, i can see it happening in Chicago
    Last edited by Lazyking; 11-28-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Super Moderator
    Not if his contract expires. If Bryan's contract is up, he could show up on any show anywhere on the planet that day, he is free and clear of any contractual obligations.

The 90 days only comes into effect if the contract is terminated by either party during the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Not if his contract expires. If Bryan's contract is up, he could show up on any show anywhere on the planet that day, he is free and clear of any contractual obligations.

The 90 days only comes into effect if the contract is terminated by either party during the duration.
    oh? could he wrestle?

Squared
    Presumably once the contract is up WWE would have no right to tell him what he could or couldn't do.

I didn't realize that, just assumed once the contract is up the no compete clause was still in effect. But i guess they usually release people before that.

I still don't think Cody is waiting for Bryan but if they could advertise his appearance and possibly a match... that could boost things significantly.

There's no like big surprise out there that Cody and the bucks could have on the card to try get except for Bryan. They would have to rely on their drawing power, ROH and maybe Omega and great promoting of it to even come close otherwise.

The Brain
    That's quite a high goal but I'm glad they're going for it. If it does happen in Chicago, I'll almost definitely go.

Squared
    Personally it seems unlikely it would happen in the UK either, but it wouldn't be a bad decision if they did. Smart money is that since we get so much less, you put some big names on the card and you can fill a building that size, no problem. Actually if they can call on NJPW guys too, I'd wager that they could put enough people in the o2 that even if they didn't sell it out, it'd still be a huge success - a Summerslam sized attendance for somewhere like RoH would be massive, even if it wasn't technically a sell-out of the building.

But yeah, 99% sure it'll be in the US.

If it happens in Chicago - and I don't want to be 'that guy' like I've just been about Bryan, but - I wonder if there's a chance Punk shows his face. RoH, Rhodes who he was chummy with in WWE I believe, the Bucks who have said they talk to him regularly and want him in Bullet Club, a hometown crowd...those would be the kind of ingredients where I could see Punk making a one night return to, if not wrestling itself, then at least a wrestling show.

That's your two butts in seats name - a Bryan free of WWE and a Punk showing his face. You might get some traction out of, say, Omega having a top match, perhaps even with Cody.

I suppose it depends on whether they're trying to attract some more 'general' crowd or just relying on having a hot enough show to attract 10k more hardcore fans. There's not a whole bunch of unique matches out there, so do they go back to basics and try and book what they know will generate a buzz (Bucks vs MCMG, perhaps, Ospreay vs Ricochet, Scurrl vs Sabre Jr) within a hardcore base or do they try and get general traction by going for guys that are more well known.

Going to be an interesting one to watch. They'll probably be able to turn a profit on a half full arena all buying merch.

Squared
    Get Punk on the card in Chicago and promote it properly and I'd fancy them to not just get 10k, but to sell out the Rosemont Horizon, maybe even the United Center if they did get Bryan and some other top stars, too.

We're in the world of fantasy here but I don't see why they couldn't outdraw the WWE, given how hot Punk is there.

The Brain
    I definitely know people from that area who would come out just to see Punk. That could be their ace in the hole, for sure.

I didn't bring it up only because I don't think Punk wants to open that door but I guess it is possible. Its too early in the process to know what and who and where but its exciting to speculate.

They're definitely going after Punk. As Ollie said earlier he's close with the Young Bucks, is at least on good terms with Cody (not to mention the rest of the Bullet Club) and on top of that it looks like he might be getting out of that UFC contract as he's scheduled to meet with Dana White at this weekend's show. Will they be able to get him? I don't know about that, but I have no doubt that's one of the goals these three have and if the show is in Chicago then I hazard to guess the endgame is the show being headlined by Kenny Omega vs. CM Punk. What match are you getting that's bigger? Only Bryan vs. Punk would come close, but as there's no guarantee Bryan will be available when the show comes to fruition (be it because he resigns with WWE or because it happens before his contract is up), that's the match. It would not only draw north of 10,000, I'm pretty sure it could draw 20,000.

Beyond that, they're going to go all out for this anyway. Cody already said there will be luchadors on the show, and the fact that all three guys have connections to CMLL (through the ROH/NJPW relationship) and The Crash (where both the Bucks and Cody have worked) means you'll probably see a strong group from Mexico making appearances, including Pentagon, Fenix and Rey Mysterio. I'd venture you'll get guys from ROH, New Japan and other places on the indies as well, and if Jericho hasn't returned to WWE by that point I wouldn't doubt that he could make an appearance too. Say what you will about the Bucks and Cody but these guys dream big and, in Cody's own words, they want to leave wrestling better than when they found it. I guarantee they will go as far as possible to make this the biggest indie show ever and get as much big name talent as possible.

The question will then become, depending on when the show falls, does Vince try to counter and what does he try to counter with?

This show is not happening before mania or the venue would have been announced already. I figure you shoot for either sometime in the summer... before Summerslam because they are trying to attract hardcore fans that will pay money.. those same fans go to big WWE events..so do it sometime in June OR after Summerslam and do something in October... That way since there's no clause on Bryan with his contract being up (i can't see him re-siging with WWE unless doctors tell him he should def not wrestle after all the tests he's doing.) then you can pump up an appearance with him

I don't really know what WWE and Vince could counter with. A random PPV across the street from the event, sure but if you have big matches on the Cody show like a Punk return match, its not gonna matter much what WWE does.. They've done all the big returns they can and you can watch the network for it anyway.

You tell me there's a WWE show in the area or a Punk return.. or even a big Omega dream match, i'm going to that. I might never see that again.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 11-29-2017 at 07:10 PM.

If they're trying to attract the hardcore fans, why would you not do it on the Friday before Summerslam in Brooklyn? You've got the smark crowd. You've got international fans flying in for Summerslam. You'd have Americans make the trip to Brooklyn. Sunday is Summerslam. Saturday is the NXT show. Not sure if they do anything the Friday but pretty sure they don't. Would seem the best time to do it, personally.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    The question will then become, depending on when the show falls, does Vince try to counter and what does he try to counter with?
    Saw someone elsewhere on the net theorize that whatever house show happens to be nearby will probably suddenly become a stacked Network Special, and they're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    If they're trying to attract the hardcore fans, why would you not do it on the Friday before Summerslam in Brooklyn? You've got the smark crowd. You've got international fans flying in for Summerslam. You'd have Americans make the trip to Brooklyn. Sunday is Summerslam. Saturday is the NXT show. Not sure if they do anything the Friday but pretty sure they don't. Would seem the best time to do it, personally.
    I don't know the legalities but where is a 10,000 seat arena near Brooklyn not named Barclays center? Highly doubt they'd be allowed to book the same arena the night before.. plus its bigger than 10K

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I don't know the legalities but where is a 10,000 seat arena near Brooklyn not named Barclays center? Highly doubt they'd be allowed to book the same arena the night before.. plus its bigger than 10K
    Well there goes that idea. I wouldn't have a clue but don't think Brooklyn has another arena. Well New Jersey has Backlash in May. Do they have any other arenas? And MITB is in Chicago in June. What about them? Same goes for LA and Survivor Series in November. Chicago or LA would be the place to do it cause of the crowd. But all depends on who has other arenas.

Squared
    Does Vince still have exclusive deals with a lot of the arenas? I can't imagine he'll have needed to since 2001 but it could complicate things if so.

Squared
    Since we had this conversation, Cody has told a British newspaper that his ideal main event for the show is Daniel Bryan. So we weren't too far away.

Just read a news article that suggests that, as we speculated up the page, the hope is for this to be run somewhere in the Chicago area. Pretty sensible choice, given that it's always been quite a hotbed for wrestling fans around there and you'll likely get fans who are tuned into the non-WWE products that will be into whatever Cody and the Bucks pull out of their pockets.

The Brain
    Woohoo! I am definitely going to try to go to this, if that's the case. Honestly at this point it hardly matters to me who they get on the card, I know they'll try to go all out and I'm just excited about what they're trying to do and want to be there. I'm hooked in.

Squared
    There was a comment a few days ago that this show was 'confirmed, but not contracted'. I am not really sure what that means but I guess it sounds like some sort of progress. They probably have some sort of positive news on a venue and date.

Even though Punk's MMA career (outside perhaps of a freak-show run in Bellator) is in tatters, I get the intuition that he probably won't wrestle again. Or at least not this soon. I have no basis for this, just an intuition. I don't see him on small Indy shows, though obviously this one would be an unusually large one.

Cody has set a date for ALL IN and its September 1st. BEFORE Bryan's contract is up.

Usual people have tweeted that they'll be involved. Including Omega and Stephen Amell.

No venue confirmed yet, as I understand?

Squared
    Bryan won't be there, then, but the rumour that Punk is going to be there just won't die. The current buzz is CM Punk vs. Kenny Omega in the main event. If they can book that I don't think we need to discuss whether or not the venue will be sold out.

Then again, it's the internetz, so always take with a barrel of salt.