Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Winter Sports/Olympics

  1. #1
    Kevin
    Guest

    Winter Sports/Olympics

    I figured, since they're starting on Friday, there should be a thread for this. Anyone looking forward to any sport that isn't hockey? I've always enjoyed the speed skating, and bobsledding myself, but nothing beats hockey for me. Stamkos being off team Canada is going to hurt though.

    Anyways, discuss.

  2. #2
    A Professional Sort Of
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Being Australian, there isn't much to cheer about in regards to the Winter Olympiad.

    I am a bit of a fan of the Biathlon so it'll be good to see who comes out on top of quite the competitive fields on the men and women sides respectively.

  3. #3
    DBPanterA
    Guest
    The thing I enjoy about the Winter Games is you get to see many sports that simply only show up every 4 years. I honestly enjoy it all, sans figure skating. Looking forward to luge, skeleton, bobsled, short track speed skating, and even curling. The Flying Tomato always puts on a great show and has some secret trick to unleash this year.

  4. #4
    EJ84
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Anyone looking forward to any sport that isn't hockey?
    Um, yes. The list includes: Any sport that isn't ice hockey.

    Australia sending over our largest Winter team ever, all 60 of them. Me and my mates can't wait.

  5. #5
    EJ84
    Guest
    Go, Torah!


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    USA! USA!

    The men's hockey game between the U.S. and Czech Republic has been great so far. Americans with a slim lead. Go Latvia!

  7. #7
    Goldberg Rules!
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,835
    Punk ass Latvians.

  8. #8
    boobnewb
    Guest
    All I can say is.....Thank god we beat Latvia! As for other sports. Short track speed skating is great because it's like bumper cars. Ski jumping and Aerials look nasty if you fall. And Alpine skiing if you go flying into those orange fences. I like the Winter Olympics because Canada doesn't suck at them unlike the Summer Olympics. I have no problem sucking at the Summer ones because we're a winter nation and should do well at Winter sports. Same with Australia. They're a summer nation. They're good at swimming. You need to be realistic and stick to your strengths.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    USA! USA!

    After the women choked yesterday the men need to get the job done today. Kessel has been very impressive this tournament. You forget how good he is stuck in Toronto.

    EDIT: Should have started Ryan Miller.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 02-21-2014 at 03:11 PM.

  10. #10
    Goldberg Rules!
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,835
    Bomb Canada, Barack.

  11. #11
    Am I the only one shocked that Carey Price was that good today?


  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    They really didn't test him too much unfortunately. Just no sense of urgency, except from Kessel and the Meat line.

    Screw Canada. At least we don't bag our milk.

  13. #13
    Even still, Price has always struck me as a guy who got frightened in big moments. I would've thought he'd give up a couple soft goals.


  14. #14
    Senior Member Killswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Planet Home
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Am I the only one shocked that Carey Price was that good today?
    Price has a tendency to come up big when he's needed.

    Was massive at the World Juniors when the US and Canada basically went through a billion shooters before Toews won it.

  15. #15
    A Professional Sort Of
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by boobnewb View Post
    All I can say is.....Thank god we beat Latvia! As for other sports. Short track speed skating is great because it's like bumper cars. Ski jumping and Aerials look nasty if you fall. And Alpine skiing if you go flying into those orange fences. I like the Winter Olympics because Canada doesn't suck at them unlike the Summer Olympics. I have no problem sucking at the Summer ones because we're a winter nation and should do well at Winter sports. Same with Australia. They're a summer nation. They're good at swimming. You need to be realistic and stick to your strengths.
    I reckon I would do pretty well at bobsledding. You always need to pack an extra bit of weight so you get down the hill quicker.

  16. #16
    Kevin
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Kessel has been very impressive this tournament. You forget how good he is stuck in Toronto.
    This made me laugh out loud. Cause you know, not only are you a Buffalo fan (I think...) but also, if ever there was a city that brags about how good a player is, its Toronto.

    Anyway, another LOL at the US for losing even the bronze. We'll see you from the podium.

  17. #17
    Canada wins GOLD!!!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! (repeat 3x)

  18. #18
    Olympic hockey was absolutely perfect, I couldn't have scripted it any better. It was pure gold.....get it....see what i did there???? Nuthin for the russians, nuthin for the states, gold for Canada backed up by 2 shut outs in a row by Price. Even the womens showed everyone how it's done. I'm lovin' it even more than McDonalds.

  19. #19
    Kevin
    Guest
    Canada wins Gold once again, and in dominating fashion in the mens case! Back to back for men, back to back to back to back for Women. Go Canada Go!

  20. #20
    gypsumstack
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cultofpersonality View Post
    Canada wins GOLD!!!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! (repeat 3x)
    You act like this is a surprise. They were the favorite from the start...just like every other Olympics.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Killswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Planet Home
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsumstack View Post
    You act like this is a surprise. They were the favorite from the start...just like every other Olympics.
    Looooooooooooooool no, people were riding the American's jocks so hard going into this tournament.

  22. #22
    Kevin
    Guest
    Exactly. Canada was among the least favorites to win this year. No one thought Canada could win it on international ice. People were also saying our defense was weak....oh how wrong they were.

  23. #23
    A Professional Sort Of
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Australia was the least favorite to win the Ice Hockey this year.

  24. #24
    Kevin
    Guest
    Especially since they don't have a team

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    This made me laugh out loud. Cause you know, not only are you a Buffalo fan (I think...) but also, if ever there was a city that brags about how good a player is, its.
    It's not my fault your team has been terrible. And yes, the Sabres suck worse. Let it go and stop taking shit personal.

    Canada the least favorite? Haha. They were at worst second in almost every publication.

  26. #26
    A Professional Sort Of
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    I got back my smile when the Olympics ended. Now Sochi needs to worry about that Formula 1 race that is supposedly happening in a few months time. Hopefully everything will be ready by then, but I doubt it.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Killswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Planet Home
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Exactly. Canada was among the least favorites to win this year. No one thought Canada could win it on international ice. People were also saying our defense was weak....oh how wrong they were.
    Well, that thought was also a bit of a fallacy considering Salt Lake was played on international ice.

    Turin was just a poor team period.

  28. #28
    boobnewb
    Guest
    Canada won gold in Hockey and curling. Russia won gold in figure skating. I'll take hockey and curling credit as success. But seriously, how bout them Norwegians every year? What does that country need to do to get some respect?

  29. #29
    A Professional Sort Of
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Simple, Biathlon better.

  30. #30
    Kevin
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombies, March! View Post
    Well, that thought was also a bit of a fallacy considering Salt Lake was played on international ice.

    Turin was just a poor team period.
    Hmm you're right. I was always under the impression that Salt Lake was played on NHL ice....and I don't know that I would call the team in Turin poor. Given, they got ousted by the Swiss, but if memory serves we iced a pretty good team, on paper anyways.

    And Numb, I don't take it 'personal' per say that you rag on the Leafs, I just think its funny that not only do you cheer for a team that is usually just as bad as mine but that you tried to use hockey mad Toronto as an example for a player not getting recognized. Don't take shots just for the hell of it, especially ones that don't make any damn sense. Speaking of NHL though, I can't wait for my boys to start playing again.
    Last edited by Kevin; 02-23-2014 at 11:37 PM.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,519
    Kessel does not get the recognition other players his caliber get, and it's because of his team having little success on the ice (it would be the same if he played for another bad team). You can disagree all you want but you are dead wrong, like usual. And keep bringing up my last-place team which has nothing to do with anything in this thread.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 02-24-2014 at 03:20 AM.

  32. #32
    A Professional Sort Of
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    And I'll keep bringing up that Australia had no chance of winning gold in Ice Hockey.

  33. #33
    gypsumstack
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombies, March! View Post
    Looooooooooooooool no, people were riding the American's jocks so hard going into this tournament.
    I seem to remember the main narrative being "Can Team USA finally beat Canada". That is not being a favorite. I don't know for sure, but judging from what I saw before the Olympics, the odds went as follows: 1. Canada 2. Russia 3. USA. You could probably flip flop USA and Russia, but those were the big three heading into the Olympics. Russia being embarrassed and not even making the medal tournament was seen as a national disgrace. I'd say Canada not winning Gold would have been close to that. USA not medaling seems to not be that important to US citizens. I personally think it sucks, but for the most part people don't seem to care. 4.1 million people watched the USA/Russia game in the US...or roughly 20% of the population of New York City.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Killswitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Planet Home
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Hmm you're right. I was always under the impression that Salt Lake was played on NHL ice....and I don't know that I would call the team in Turin poor. Given, they got ousted by the Swiss, but if memory serves we iced a pretty good team, on paper anyways.
    Martin Brodeur
    Roberto Luongo
    Marty Turco
    Rob Blake
    Jay Bouwmeester
    Adam Foote
    Bryan McCabe
    Chris Pronger
    Wade Redden
    Robyn Regehr
    Todd Bertuzzi
    Shane Doan
    Kris Draper
    Simon Gagné
    Dany Heatley
    Jarome Iginla
    Vincent Lecavalier
    Rick Nash
    Brad Richards
    Joe Sakic
    Ryan Smyth
    Martin St. Louis
    Joe Thornton

    Not a team I'm comfortable with on large ice. A couple faster guys, but mostly slower, plodding players.

  35. #35
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    4,529
    Giving this a bump because the Winter Olympics is coming around again soon. Also broadened it to Winter Sports generally, as the X-Games are on first, and I think the thread can accommodate both.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •