Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chikara

Chikara

If you didn't hear about it, folks, CHIKARA is back! The company returned in top form yesterday during the National Pro Wrestling Day extravaganza! During a match, hordes of former CHIKARA rudos - from the BDK to the GEKIDO to Dr. Cube to Sinn "Kizarny" Bodhi - invaded the arena, led by none other than the nefarious Jimmy Jacobs. The CHIKARA stars responded by taking a stand and fighting them off, with many of them initially disguised as minions of the rudo attack squad. The big moment came when one of the doors started rising up to reveal a Delorean with Archibald Peck and 3.0 inside, who ran in to help. After the technicos fought off the villainous group, they revealed that the next show - the first official show of the CHIKARA return - will happen on May 25th in Easton, PA.

So, CHIKARA has returned from the dead! Discuss it all here!

I wish you posted a video of this.

That said, awesome news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU-B...ature=youtu.be

Fast Forward to 1 hour and 58 minutes and watch as it plays out.

Thank you dude, was very very awesome.

All the ashes promos actually got me excited for Chikara for like the first time..

makeo
    The deLorean moment is sweet.

Been watching the "Ashes" vids, and when 3.0 and Archie appeared to turn the tide, I marked hard.

Super Moderator
    Check out Quack on Art of Wrestling.

Gotta say that I've never been a huge fan of his, but hat interview changed a lot. His views on wrestling (especially on "old school" and "vets") and mine line up almost perfectly.

Get yourself on Chikara, coach.

The interview was good but people still doubting his reasons.. he's a hell of a salesman I'll say that.

The Brain
    Hell yes! Fantastic news.

Just finished listening to Quack on Colt's podcast.

I love CHIKARA and have been one of their biggest supporters on here for years, though I don't follow all the shit they do on the interwebz.

I think everyone who likes wrestling should give CHIKARA a chance and then make up their mind if it's just some kiddy show or whatever negatives have thrown their way over the years.

They're the only promotion I know of that goes that extra mile to really make their product unique and compelling. Whether it be the four plus year storyline of the Eye of Tyr and The BDK or purposefully closing their doors just to further their current storyline.

I wish I could go to more shows, but they've only come to Michigan once. Which I went to and had a fucking blast at.

I'm buying the May 25th show on DVD without even knowing the card. Will be my first Chikara show.

Reality Champ
    Just listened to the Quackenbush/Cabana podcast. He's either a genius or an idiot idealist....and quite frankly may be both. But I wish there were more people like him.

Both. I like his POV and outlook on his product. I don't like how condescending he can be about it at times. Then again if it weren't for guys like him willing to try something new there wouldn't be much variety. Wish more companies would take an out of the box approach on their product.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Both. I like his POV and outlook on his product. I don't like how condescending he can be about it at times. Then again if it weren't for guys like him willing to try something new there wouldn't be much variety. Wish more companies would take an out of the box approach on their product.
    It's that idiot idealism that allows him to be a genius in the way that he is.

He's in it for the art. If he were in it for the money, he wouldn't be able to afford taking the risks and doing the things that he does.

"You Only Live Twice" is only a few weeks away now. So far, two matches have been announced for CHIKARA's return to iPPV, with more to be on the way. The announced matches are The Batiri (Kobald, Kodama, and Obariyon) vs. Sinn Bodhi and the Odditorium (Oliver Grimsley and Qefka the Quiet), and a four-way elimination tag, with participants to still be announced.

Nothing ground-breaking as of yet, but I'm assuming they're waiting for the show to get closer before dropping bombshell matches.

Savior4Hire
    I'm really curious to check out the Ashes of CHIKARA film as well. I probably download that adds check it out this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up in the announced matches Jeff, I hadn't heard about those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Savior4Hire View Post
    Thanks for the heads up in the announced matches Jeff, I hadn't heard about those yet.
    They're announcing them only on their fan forum, it looks like. Their main website doesn't have the announced matches yet, which is weird. I assume it's to get more people using the forums, which I guess makes sense but makes it difficult for people to find out the information.

New match announced! And it's a doozy. In a rematch, Icarus tries to capture the Grand Championship from reigning champion "The War King" Eddie Kingston!

I imagine that'll be the main event, as it should be.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    "You Only Live Twice" is only a few weeks away now. So far, two matches have been announced for CHIKARA's return to iPPV, with more to be on the way. The announced matches are The Batiri (Kobald, Kodama, and Obariyon) vs. Sinn Bodhi and the Odditorium (Oliver Grimsley and Qefka the Quiet), and a four-way elimination tag, with participants to still be announced.

Nothing ground-breaking as of yet, but I'm assuming they're waiting for the show to get closer before dropping bombshell matches.
    Love Oliver Grimsley, caught him at an MCW show recently.

Some more matches have been announced, as well as a few participants in that four-corner tag match. Putting them all here.

1) Main Event: For the Grand Championship of CHIKARA!
    Icarus [Challenger] vs. Eddie Kingston [Champion]

2) Four Corner Elimination Tag Team Match!
    Scott Parker/Shane Matthews vs. 17/deviANT vs. Jigsaw/The Shard vs. ?

3) Clash of the Titans!
    Archibald Peck vs. Jimmy Jacobs

4) Six-Man Mayhem!
    The Batiri vs. Sinn Bodhi & his Odditorium

5) A Titanic Trios Contest!
    The Spectral Envoy vs. Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes

Peck/Jacobs should be something to behold. That match is gonna rock. And of course UMB gets a match with the BDK right off the bat, why wouldn't he all things considered? This card looks great thus far, and we still have over a week before it happens.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...o-resurrection

CHIKARA is crowd sourcing for a video game.

So after the first show these are the plot points that seem to matter...

* Tursas returns to CHIKARA as the third member of the BDK trio, ambushing the Spectral Envoy before their match.
    * The nephew of the deceased Lester Crabtree, Ashley Remington makes a successful debut, wooing both the CHIKARA audience and his opponent in Chuck Taylor.
    * Robbie Ellis debuts as the new owner of CHIKARA, and declares Mike Quackenbush to be the new Director of Fun.
    * Kid Cyclone, 3quinox and Create-A-Wrestler II attack 17 after he is eliminated from the 4-corner tag match, in revenge for the slaying of Private Eye Jr. by his hand.
    * This year's King of Trios tournament is confirmed.
    * The Colony regain their 2011 KOT medals from The Colony: X-treme Force after their match.
    * Icarus defeats Eddie Kingston with the CHIKARA Special to become the new Grand Champion.
    * A hulking, masked man ("The Titan of Titor?") leads The Flood to attack the newly crowned Grand Champion Icarus and the celebrating CHIKARA roster.
    * In his thrall are a hooded Delirious and Solider Ant, who turn on their respective ex-comrades (The Spectral Envoy and Colony) when their hoods are removed.
    * The hulking, masked man breaks Kobald over his knee when the latter attempts to intervene.

Kobald is "Dead" apparently. He joins Crabtree, Private Eye Jr and Dragon Dragon as fallen members against the Flood.

I thought the show itself as above-average, but it was nice to see CHIKARA back. Remington is gonna be a lot of fun, his debut match against Chuckie T was perfect. I was expecting more from Peck/Jacobs and the Envoy/BDK trios matches but they did their jobs and furthered their feuds. Match of the show was either Batiri/Odditorium (love me some Oliver Grimsley), the four-corner tag, or Colony/Colony: XF. Ick/Kingston was kinda balls.

Really interested in this Titan of Titor. Wanna see him get involved more. I mean, he debuts by killing Kobald, that's one hell of a hook!

All in all, it's just good to see CHIKARA back in action.

So who does everybody think is the hooded 7-foot leader? Not many guys out there that big.

No photo I have seen yet, I am going to just guess Matt Morgan for kicks.

I follow Matt on Twitter. He was home with his kid yesterday.

Ah, darn. Just a wild guess.

Reality Champ
    Gallows?

Not a chance. Doubt they could afford him.

Body type is certainly wrong for Matt Morgan. Mason Ryan?

Reality Champ
    Question. If I wanted to get more into Chikara, is it a situation where I'd really have to buy all the shows to do it properly?

No. Buy the last one before the hiatus, a few King of Trios, and you are good to go.

If you buy one King of Trios set, get 09.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Question. If I wanted to get more into Chikara, is it a situation where I'd really have to buy all the shows to do it properly?
    The show from this weekend is supposed to be a "Reset" point. Some of the story lines have carried over but its pretty easy to keep up with. They put out youtube videos between shows to keep people up to date with story lines and such.

More pics. He isnt AS big as people are making him out to be.

Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 05-27-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Super Moderator
    Not as tall (compared to that fan) but still gigantic by indy standards.

It could be Gallows since it looks like they've made a point of covering his arms. No way it's Morgan and he doesn't have the bodybuilder frame to be Mason Ryan or tatts to be Hernandez.

I'd imagine that the gas mask is coming off soon enough (with another mask underneath). Even wrestling the biggest of big man styles, there's no way a guy can work in that.

My guess is either Gallows, based on the gear, or someone from the Wrestle Factory.

EDIT: OR Quack hit the juice.

The dude on the right is my first guess as he is one of Quacks students and Quack throws people under masks until he needs to de reveals sometimes.

Max Smashmaster...Their fucking names man.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 05-27-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Thing is with masks so prevalent in CHIKARA, might not ever find out who it is.

Super Moderator
    Maybe. You stand that guy up straight, have him puff out his chest, maybe give him some lifts and it could be him. He's guy quite the gut, though.

You're right, though, it's entirely possible that they took whatever big guy that they conveniently had sitting around backstage throw the gear on until they've decided on who it's going to be.

EDIT: True, TripleR. And you'd think that unless they were smuggled in and out completely unseen, there'd be a report of them being there if it were any sort of name.

Nah this is one we will probably find out. Thats why I don't buy whoever being in the mask first will be the last person in the mask.

Thats an older picture of Max Smashmaster. He is in a bit better shape now. That pic is like two years old.

Oh and it could have been Noken or Tursus...They have plenty of big guys. People seem to forget.

Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 05-27-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Oh and it could have been Noken or Tursus...They have plenty of big guys. People seem to forget.
    Yeah, even with the smaller guys, until you see them taking photos with fans or something you really don't realized just how jacked some of these dudes are. They're far from the waifs that people make out indy guys, particularly the masked Chikara guys, to be. Even a guy like Dasher Hatfield might not be Brock Lesnar, but he's a big, thick dude.

EDIT: Although, to be fair, I think some of these guys took the Chikara hiatus as an opportunity to hit the gym. Some of them are clearly bigger than they have been.

EDITII: Oh man, it almost has to be Tursus. The body type is almost identical.

Noken, Tursas and Smashmaster were all present at ringside during the brawl.