Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chikara

The Brain
    Wow, I had no idea Delrious' bookings were so sparse across the board. I thought it was just CHIKARA where he was working light, that totally sucks. I have a hard time seeing UMB going out right now, so maybe Delirious is just straight up retiring? That would seriously suck.

In 2015 they are going to to run Shows in Cardiff, Wolverhampton and London.

Plus the theme next year is Harry Potter.

The Brain
    Glad for the UK folks that they get some CHIKARA, but I hope they aren't doing KOT over there. I was planning to go this year if it was in PA like usual.

Hm, CHIKARA themes often has a mild tie in to what happens in the season. Watchman in 2013 for idealism hitting harsh reality, the conspiracy undertone, and the fall of superheroes, Bond in 2014 for how CHIKARA was brought back (in part through spying), fighting a mysterious enemy organization, and the different conspiracy undertone. I wonder if they will play with a little more "magic" like the Eye of Tyr as an excuse to bring back some of the characters who were "killed" this year. They already heavily teased it with Thunderfrog, and it would suck for guys like Peck and The Shard to simply be out of the company, unless that's what they want I guess but the Shard in particular is too damn good to stop so soon. Miles of potential there.

Loved Tomorrow Never Dies personally, every match delivered on some level though it was a little obvious that Deucalion was still a rookie in spite of the smart way the put the match together in the main event. Still, really enjoyed the show, Throwbacks/Dev Corp was phenomenal.

A lot of questions left for next season, but I think the one I'm thinking of the most is what the heck was deal with 17, or someone disguised as 17, saving one of the CHIKARA guys from Deucalion a couple shows back?? Mystery, mystery...

First team for KOT announced...

no wai?

Awesome.

The Brain
    I'm impressed so far with the streaming service CHIKARA has set up, it's like 80 shows, both older stuff and current, for like $8 a month, and still growing. This seems like a great step to me, way better than buying shows individually at like $15 a pop.

how's the stream quality?

The Brain
    It's been running smoothly for me for the most part. The newer stuff has a few hiccups but nothing too bad.
    Last edited by mizfan; 04-29-2015 at 11:57 PM.

no. fucking. way.

The Brain
    YES!!!! I've got front row tickets for all three nights, which was clearly an amazing life choice.

Reality Champ
    I'm not a guy who watches every show, but I follow the results and every now and then I'll watch a show. But has this season felt a little clunky to anyone else? Not a big fan of the team gimmick, and its kind of made it feel like there isn't a ton going on.

That said, they'll probably do something crazy tonight and I'll look like a fool for this post. Also, Volgar unmasked to reveal a complete random.

The Brain
    Man, this year is looking so great.

Starting on the last Wed of the month, CHIKARA is going to be running a 6 week block of live shows at 7 EST on their YouTube channel.

The Brain
    Anyone have any idea what the actual content will be? It's hard to imagine CHIKARA running short weekly shows and live streaming them.

I believe it is going to be from a show they do next weekend. But, that is unconfirmed as they have been mum on the exact content.

The Brain
    Just saw on Twitter that Ultramantis Black is officially retired. He was already working a very light schedule but I'm seriously gutted right now. One of my absolute favorites. At least I got to see his last full match live back in June but holy poop, am I ever feeling this one.

The Brain
    That should be interesting...

Reality Champ
    So excited for tonight

I was looking at Chikara's site and their VOD service has a bunch of past shows for only $7.99 a month pretty much all of them from 2005 to 2014.. Thinking about subscribing.

Reality Champ
    Kimber Lee is your new Grand Champion. Unreal.

Reality Champ
    A year after winning the title in the UK, Hallowicked regains the title in the UK. Wonder if the location is going to factor in down the road.

Victoria, Jazz and Mickie James are in KOT.

So it looks like CHIKARA is at it again. At National Pro Wrestling Day, they started Season 18, but oddly, Season 16 just ended. So what happened to Season 17? Well they apparently filmed a 9-episode season in secret to play with more crazy storytelling like they are apt to do. Their website has had many of their major stars moved to the Alumni Section as well.

Also, the King of Trios 2017 Tournament will be held Sept 1-3 this year, in Birmingham, England.

The Brain
    It was such a trip to head on to the site to check out National Pro Wrestling Day and find an entire new season appeared out of nowhere. The level of creative storytelling in this company is just insane. I'm still working my way through the new stuff but I love the idea, and since CHIKARA's success rate of writing comprehensible time travel stories is actually very high I think they will be able to pull it off nicely.

Reality Champ
    Hate that KOT is in England, but that's purely for selfish reasons. Because of my job I have to work 95% of Labor Day weekends. This is the one year where I won't have to work. So I was all geared up to go this year for the first time, and now I can't. But I get it.

I love the fact that they would do the secret season. We all know why it happened, and it's an incredibly creative solution to the problem. Most other companies would just let everyone fade, but Chikara won't let that happen. And that's a good thing.

So I saw today that one half of the cop tag team was leaving and "going back to the force." So is this for real or CHIKARA storyline? I never know with them

The Brain
    That'd be the newer one, Bruno Meloni, and I believe it's legitimate. I know his partner (Warren Barksdale) is an actual police officer and I wouldn't be surprised if Meloni was as well. He was less than a year in, I'd guess the rough realities of wrestling were a little much for him. Not a great loss, as I don't really find either cop that entertaining as a gimmick or as workers.

Squared
    I don't hear as much about Chikara as I used to, but I understand they are coming to the end of one of their 'seasons' in December with a show in Philadelphia. How have things gone for them lately?

The Brain
    Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I'm still following the product religiously and really enjoying it, but they have had certain issues recently.

The most apparent one is an exodus of veteran talent, many of whom had been with the promotion for years. Losing Drew Gulak, Heidi Lovelace (Ruby Riot), and Princess Kimberlee to WWE was one thing, but there have been a few more losses due to retirement, disagreements with the promotion, or for unknown reasons. CHIKARA is directly attached to a wrestling school, the Wrestle Factory, so it's not a big deal to replenish the roster, but they are definitely running with more rookie talent in top spots now than they have for quite some time.

They continue to go all out for King of Trios, which ran in the UK this year and featured Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate, and Trent Seven as top tournament members, but the rest of their calendar has also gotten a little more restrained. They tend to run a lot of shows straight out of the Wrestle Factory now, whereas in past they would tour a little more. I'm sure it's more cost effective but the WF space is a little small, which limits crowd reaction. They still tour maybe about 50% of their shows, but it's a bit of a different feel.

Basically I think they have yet to fully recover from their infamous "shut down" storyline which ran in 2013-14. I always thought it was pretty masterful from a creative standpoint, but practically speaking it was a turn off to some dedicated fans who got tired of waiting to see if there would be a return, and while they came back hot in 2014 their buzz has settled to be less than it was around the turn of the decade. They are still putting on really fun shows though, I went to one in Chicago a couple weeks ago and had an absolute blast. I think they will get through this rebuilding phase and continue to go strong within their niche for a long time.

So fill us in on some storyline Mizzie. I know that's a big deal in CHIKARA, so what's the running theme through Season 17?

The Brain
    My pleasure! At the end of the 2016 season there was a major power shift. All through the season, Hallowicked had been using the arcane artifact known as the Eye of Tyr to bend babyfaces to his will, which culminated in the yearly 8 vs. 8 Cibernetico match, as CHIKARA's biggest remaining defenders united to stop the growing threat. Thanks to a vision experienced by Ophidian, the CHIKARA team was able to pull out the underdog victory thanks to the efforts of Dasher Hatfield. After the match, Ophidian liberated the Eye of Tyr from Hallowicked and, in the process, freed Ultramantis Black, who had been seemingly possessed by Hallowicked's dark god, Nazmaldun. Ophidian apparently destroyed the Eye once and for all with the help of the Thunderfrog, though the scene cut out a moment before the actual destruction, and the Eye has been reassembled before...

This action freed the rest of the babyfaces who were being controlled by Hallowicked, and though he still held the Grand Championship for a while the main story of the company was Hallowicked being under siege, as all his former minions came gunning for him in a big way. He managed to turn back challenger after challenger despite his dwindling resources, until finally Ultramantis himself returned to active competition and got his revenge, dethroning Hallowicked in climactic fashion.

After lying low in the earlier part of the year, the thread of Nazmaldun has begun to grow again. Though Hallowicked claims he can no longer hear his dark god since the Eye was destroyed, this time the threat comes primarily from Frightmare, Hallowicked's long time incoherent partner. Frightmare has been on a tear this year, especially targeting members and associates of the Colony, CHIKARA's resident heroic ant themed stable. At an event in mid 2016 basically all the Ants in CHIKARA's history, past and present, combined forces to oppose Nazmaldun's forces, and Hallowicked laid a curse on them that has seemingly come home to roost. One by one, Frightmare has taken out almost everyone who opposed them on that night, often taking advantage of the fact that the Colony can be blinded and potentially crippled if their antennae are ripped off. Soldier Ant and Silver Ant, most notably, have been taken out of action because of this, possibly permanently. After more than 10 years of a continuous Colony stable, Fire Ant is now the last ant standing. Originally, Fire Ant and other top tecnicos formed a group known as the Furies to oppose the threat, but so far they have been largely ineffective at stopping these injuries, so Fire Ant has been pursing revenge in his own way. I would not be surprised if we see Fire Ant and Frightmare going at it in a mask vs. mask match at the finale, which would be major, and makes me nervous because the last time someone lost a mask in CHIKARA they also left the company, and I don't want to see any other departures right now.

Other major stories in the company include the rise of Juan Francisco de Coronado, an arrogant Ecuadorian aristocrat (and one of the best heels in the business, for my money), who surprisingly gained the Grand Championship this year during 'Mania weekend. Since then he's been on a tear of incredible title defense, stacking up classics with Missile Assault Man, Oleg the Usurper, Obariyon, Mr Touchdown, and most recently Fire Ant. The main theme through his reign has been winning at all costs, as he's a textbook cheating heel and pulls it off perfectly. I'm guessing he's on track to clash with Dasher Hatfield, who is on his way to earn three points the hard way after suffering some setbacks earlier in the year. He's beaten company powerhouse Merlok, Impact Wrestling's Moose, and is set to take on none other than Keith Lee at an imminent event. Since Dasher is all about fair play he's a natural opponent for Juan, and they have unfinished business reaching back at least until 2015 so you know CHIKARA is going to deliver on all that storyline potential.

Speaking of Merlok, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention him here. There have been some really great new faces in CHIKARA lately (Travis Huckabee and Razerhawk come to mind first off) but Merlok is definitely my favorite, an incredible powerhouse with a great aura who doesn't seem to give a crap about winning his matches as long as he can cause destruction. My favorite Merlok moments this year have been him beating Razerhawk literally all through the Wrestle Factory before depositing him on the street outside in a heap, and the time he attacked Jawsolyn, the shark mascot of a team named the Sea Stars. He actually threw this hapless person in a shark suit INTO THE WRESTLE FACTORY REFRIGERATOR, and shut the door! Love this guy, and he's a great talent overall too. I just watched him have a classic match with Missile Assault Man in Chicago and can't wait to see more of him.

A couple other major points to cover, perhaps the most interesting which is the burgeoning issue between Mike Quackenbush and Max Smashmaster, as well has Max's manager, the fabulous Sidney Bakabella. In early 2016 Max was thrown out of the company by the roster after attacking the mostly retired Quackenbush, who serves as Director of Fun (GM) onscreen. He returned later in the year and threatened his way back onto the roster by taking ring announcer Vlad Radinov hostage, which Quack reluctantly agreed to in order to avoid harm to Vlad and in the hopes that the regular roster would deal with the massive powerhouse. Max made a big impact on his return but his issue with Quackenbush laid low temporarily, until Max went out with an injury a few months back. Quack, who also does commentary for more CHIKARA matches these days and is sometimes paired with manager Bakabella, began to imply that Max was not coming back and made fun of Bakabella about not having any clients, which lead Bakabella to swear that he would remind Quack exactly who he manages. Quack didn't take this threat very seriously, until the most recent show in Chicago where Max did indeed return in a big way, ambushing Quack during a verbal confrontation with Bakabella. Max berated Quack for writing him off and took some pretty serious jabs at him. Max decided Quack was too broken down to be even worth challenging, but on his way out of the ring Quack suddenly dove out onto him, executing a high flying move for the first time in over 4 years, as his rare matches in the interim have been exclusively technical matches with guys like Gulak and Sabre. Their match is set for an upcoming show but I have a feeling it will feed into the finale as well...

The other main point of storyline revolves around a guy called The Whisper, another new face in CHIKARA. A master manipulator, he posed as an innocent bystander before debuting in an attempt to learn the secrets of the CHIKARA tecnicos, looking for any kind of leverage to give him a leg up. He learned an as-yet unknown dark secret of Princess Kimberlee before her departure, and manipulated her into attacking her friends for a few shows before she decided to quit the company entirely rather than do the Whisper's bidding or have her secret revealed (in real life leaving for the WWE of course). Whisper is accompanied by a mysterious figure known as Mortimer, an apparently headless man who opens his coat so that videos of Whisper promos can be played across his chest. It's definitely weird and kind of creepy (at least when the projection doesn't mess up). He has also recruited the Lithuanian Snow Troll, a casualty of the Flood Wars of 2014 who was abandoned without a master or protector when the great "Killer" Kevin Condron left the promotion in 2016. Whisper seemingly has no care for the Troll, but sought him out in order to gain the journal of Missile Assault Man, which he released online, complete with the details of MAM's troubled past with Condor Security and the Flood's super big bad boss, Deucalion. This knowledge of MAM's past has also allowed Whisper to gain a certain amount of control over him, using hypnosis to cost him his title match with Juan. Missile has sought revenge but so far the issue remains unresolved.

The journal also hinted at some disturbing details surrounding Lucas Calhoun, who came into the company as a Flood minion known as Volgar but freed himself to try to regain his life as a free man. The journal seems to indicate that "Volgar" is actually a code name for a kind of genetically manufactured servant of Titor, a possibility that has been strengthened by the appearance of Jeremy Leary, who calls Calhoun "brother" and spent a good part of the first part of this year essentially stealing Calhoun's new life, piece by piece. This is especially significant to close watchers of CHIKARA, because when Volgar first appeared there was another character who looked exactly like him. When the Flood was looking to recruit/control resident badass Eddie Kingston, Jimmy Jacobs instructed Kingston to choose one of the two to "destroy", and Kingston complied, unleashing a savage beatdown on the randomly selected man and leaving the other untouched. The implication seems to be Jeremy Leary might be that other man, essentially left for dead in the universe of CHIKARA but now looking to steal the life he could have had if random chance had spared him and condemned Calhoun. The implications of this have caused Calhoun to leave the company temporarily (hopefully), so we'll see what comes of that.

Whisper's machinations have had the most effect on Ophidian, whom Whisper confronted earlier in the year. Without explaining, Whisper presented Ophidian with the mask of a departed wrestler known only as 17. 17 disappeared under highly mysterious circumstances in 2014, and we have yet to find out the full story, but we can bet Ophidian was involved as he reacted with horror to the mask. My best theory is that Ophidian may have "disposed" of 17 quietly and taken his place, as 17 did betray the Flood for mysterious reasons before disappearing, and it was strongly implied that whoever was under the mask at the end was not the original 17. Ophidian was in the midst of the Nazmaldun feud as well, and in the end challenged Hallowicked to a Sarcophagus match (a casket match, playing off his roots as an Egyptian themed character). Ophidian was on the verge of winning this and sealing Hallowicked away, but interference from Frightmare sent Ophidian into the casket instead. After he was sealed inside, the casket was stolen by The Whisper, and in a vignette we have seen that he buried the casket, then later dug it up to find only Ophidian's "skin", AKA mask, remaining. Since then Ophidian has not been seen in CHIKARA and bills himself on Twitter only as Ouroboros, and Whisper has seemingly stolen the identity of Ophidian, using his name and mask and even his powers of hypnosis, and going so far as to recruit a new roster member to impersonate Amasis, Ophidian's long running tag team partner and reform a new Osirian Portal. I suspect the original Ophidian will be back to reclaim his name, but time will tell.

Phew! There's more going on of course but that's the biggest stuff right now I think. Hopefully it's interesting to someone!

Well holy shit, that's some crazy stuff right there and definitely will take another read to entirely process. I freaking love what they do with stories, absolutely love it

I don't even want to read Miz Fan's post because of spoilers lol but i've really wanted to get into Chikara . I should really think of subscribing to their service.

Squared
    That's a mega post, and like everyone else, I think it's going to take a while for me to get to grips with.

The Brain
    Chikaratopia is a really good streaming service for anyone who does want to sub, has their entire library in good quality and new shows are usually up within a couple weeks, unless they are live streamed in which case they come up instantly of course. Chikara storytelling for the win!! It definitely appeals to the fantasy/comic book crowd first and foremost but I'm very comfortable with that because that's my perfectly my niche.