Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dolph Ziggler

This whole US Championship tournament stinks of then trying to recreate the famous WM10 ladder match between Razer and Shawn.

Steve kind of said it on his podcast but they may very well decide to have Ziggler come back and face the winner, depending how long they drag it out it could even be Ziggler's ticket to finalky getting a one on one match at Mania.

Squared
    There is an argument that these things need to come about more naturally if you really want them to work.

It does seem to scotch all the rumours that were around before hand, about him leaving.

@lopprimetime

Dolph back at the Rumble, but seemed to hype his return then eliminate him too quickly to make anything of it

The Brain
    The crowd didn't seem particularly interested in his return anyway, and I can't say I blame them. Not sure where he goes from here, his hype seems to be well and truly gone with a lot of fans.

Him winning the title one night and leaving it in the middle of the ring the next has been very odd. No payoff at all to it and no interaction with the new champ so far (and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon). Very strange.

Maybe they thought they would get buzz from the whole thing? Why would you have him come in at 30 otherwise? No one gave a shit. I'm not even blaming the dude cause they stopped and started with him so many times you can't expect fans to go along with it every time. If you want him to have a good match and put over new guys, great.. but anything more is asking too much

Squared
    I think you have to assume that they'll get some buzz of it, because the only kayfabe reason to leave the US title is if you're going to be interacting with the main event stars. And if Dolph doesn't get the buzz off that, he's just going to seem out of place against them - and you won't get behind him, as we're seeing.

There's only one way to get everything back for him. That's to ignore the apathy in the short term and book him to beat pretty much everyone on Smackdown over the next few months. Baron Corbin, Big E, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Rusev, Jinder, Randy Orton, maybe even a non-title win over Styles. You probably want to keep Shinsuke's record clean for the time being. And maybe you could book him on a big show to beat a big RAW star, like Seth. Basically, months of wins against big stars.

Honestly, with fans learning to never get behind Dolph, short of a narrative that is an outright counter to that I don't think people will ever let themselves get into it again.

@lopprimetime

Not even having him on Smackdown after his reappearance was a weird decision too.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    This whole US Championship tournament stinks of then trying to recreate the famous WM10 ladder match between Razer and Shawn.

Steve kind of said it on his podcast but they may very well decide to have Ziggler come back and face the winner, depending how long they drag it out it could even be Ziggler's ticket to finalky getting a one on one match at Mania.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Not even having him on Smackdown after his reappearance was a weird decision too.
    That was a big blow for any credibility his story had in my opinion. It made no sense at all. He drops the US title because he isn't valued. Then wants to reclaim glory as #30, only to be eliminated after a couple of minutes?

Jesus wept, people!

Latest I heard is that Ziggler's contract runs all the way through October 2018. It is going to be a long, long year for him because I don't see them pushing him at all. I do think, by this time next year, he's going to try his hand on the indies or in Japan because unless he creates his own buzz, he'll never gain any steam in the WWE.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

The Brain
    Really makes you wonder if plans changed somewhere along the lines. Otherwise his recent booking makes even less sense than the majority of his career has.

Squared
    Well, this is an interesting development. Accoring to a report I've seen in the last few days Ziggles has signed a contract with the 'E that reportedly makes him the companies third highest paid performer, behind only Lesnar and Cena - making him the highest paid full-timer on the roster at $1.5m per year. Obviously most of their money comes from bonuses and the like, but it's still quite a statement as the highest flat rate for a full time performer.

The article suggested they were paying him that because of his ability to make stars. But I dunno, man. I have a feeling that if you're paying someone that kind of money and the deal is a couple of years then he'll find his way back up the card in short order. The only question is whether or not they've sold the farm with him already.

@lopprimetime

Ziggler vs Nakamura at Mania is going to be ace!

In all seriousness, I think it's kind of flabbergasting that WWE have given him that money because there are a thousand Dolph Ziggler's out there wrestling right now who could take his place at a fraction of the cost. Even his ability to make stars has dwindled in recent years because nobody expects him to win. Plus, I don't think I could name a single person he's worked with who's really gone on to be a big name in recent times. The best I can think of is Nakamura, but I'd argue he's succeeded in spite of, rather than becuase of, his Dolph feud and matches.

The Brain
    The crickets at the Rumble indicate it'll be a damn hard road to get Ziggler anywhere near relevance again.