Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book tv/movie thread

Aman, I do not think it is a racist thing, it is just a "stay true to the comic" thing. Fanboys or not, people want the movie adaptations of their favorite comics to be as true as possible.

It would be like casting a black man to play Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, or Wolverine. Yes I know that Johnny Storm is not on any of their levels or popularity, but that does not mean that the producers/directors should take that many liberties with an established character for 50+ years.

I agree with that. Would you cast Angelina Jolie as Storm? Josh Holloway as The Falcon? Also, there's the standpoint of who the FF are. Johnny Storm is Sue Storm's brother, so you also have to either change her to a black woman or change the relationship between the characters. Are they now half-brother and half-sister? Step-siblings?

You can be related to someone and not be the same race. Just look at Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park 2.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

That movie doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    You can be related to someone and not be the same race. Just look at Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park 2.
    The movie never states it, but his daughter was either bi-racial or adopted, obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    That movie doesn't exist.
    And...yes....

But Jurassic World is set to come out in 2015.

The newest poster for Captain America: Winter Soldier is out, and the trailer is set to debut Thursday

http://www.blast-o-rama.com/2013/10/...inter-soldier/

I'm sick of all these movie posters. They're all the fucking same. They're just changing the frame and the main character in the middle. Star Trek, Batman, now Captain America. Hollywood needs to take itself out back and put a bullet in its own head.

What does it matter the color of Skin who plays these people? Changing someones skin color doesn't automatically change anything about them. I have no issue with changes like this.

I was all for Donald Glover being Spiderman and I'm all for Michael B Jordan to play Johnny storm. Why? Because he is a god damn good fucking actor. Thats the only thing that matters to me.

Also the relationship with his Sister doesn't have to change. They can both be Bi-Racial and have the same parents and also different skin tones.

I never get this argument. It changes nothing.

People (myself included) want to have to use as little imagination as possible to bridge the gap between how these characters are being presented to us in live action movies and how we've always recognized them. If it was a race thing those same people would be calling for a white guy to play Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    What does it matter the color of Skin who plays these people? Changing someones skin color doesn't automatically change anything about them. I have no issue with changes like this.

I was all for Donald Glover being Spiderman and I'm all for Michael B Jordan to play Johnny storm. Why? Because he is a god damn good fucking actor. Thats the only thing that matters to me.

Also the relationship with his Sister doesn't have to change. They can both be Bi-Racial and have the same parents and also different skin tones.

I never get this argument. It changes nothing.

It matters because many of us "fanboys" have been reading/fans of comics for a long time, and wanted good movie adaptations to come out. We all have our preferences as to who we would like to see portray our favorite characters and such.

A strong parallel I could make that would seem appropriate in these forums would be if a biopic movie was made about a wrestler, let's say for arguement's sake, Steve Austin. And the director wanted to shake things up a bit and make a drastic casting call, like casting a young Don Cheadle, a young Jamie Fox, or even a young Will Smith (do not consider whether or not they would be a good choice physically to portray Austin, just giving good black actors for examples). Would this make sense? Absolutely not. Even though all three men are really great actors, it would not make sense to cast them as Steve Austin because he is white.

Same for comic book characters. It is not their fault that the characters created are white, they just are, most for over 40-75 years. So casting a black actor to portray a white character is not a good idea. It had nothing to do with race, just poor choices.

For another parallel, by your arguement, let's say when they casted the Walking Dead TV series they went with a white woman to play Michonne, or if a movie was made about Luke Cage and went with a white man, or if Blade was cast a white man. If the actor was good enough then all is ok. Right? No...if the character is iconic as many of the big time comic book characters are, then they should remain true to who they are, skin color and all. There would also be a huge uproar from the black community saying that "Why is a white man playing a black superhero?" There would be a tremendously large movement started saying that Hollywood is now racist and such. But if the reverse happens, then all is ok. No, there is no racism here, just trying to be true to the characters.

If we are talking about a novel, like when Fight Club was made into a movie, and they cast the narrator or Tyler Durden as a black man, then no problem as it would not affect one bit about the character. But in a comic where the story is at least 50% told through imagery, then the skin color of the actor is important.
    Last edited by Powder; 10-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Reality Champ
    Terrible parallel because there's one Steve Austin. There's multiple human torches including an android. There's multiple versions of most marvel characters. So why not a black one? Nick Fury was white until they cast Samuel L Jackson and decided to start drawing him black.

No. Nick fury was black before they cast Jackson. Nick fury became black in 2001 for ultimate nick fury and they modeled the design of him after Sam L Jackson. They chose to go with the black version for the series b/c Black Fury is based on Jackson.

So you if there is a Black Johnny Storm and Caramel colored Sue Storm you are really gonna need it explained to you why they are that color? You cant figure it out yourself? My 9 year old niece could put that together in a second and she doesn't read comics.

Did you compare changing the race of a fictional person and a Factual person as the same thing? Seriously? I typed out an entire argument but fuck it. You don't deserve a serious retort after that.

I been a fan of comics longer then most people I know. Changing the color of ones skin doesn't change anything other then their skin color. The argument that is does is ridiculous. Unless you change their environment or their characteristics then they are still fundamentally the same. No difference other then shade.

"Black" Nick Fury in the current Marvel Universe is his son. They molded the Ultimates Nick Fury after Samuel L. They aren't the same person and shouldn't be treated as such. Those who have read any of the comics with the new Nick Fury in it would know that by now.

Also. Majority of Superheros are White. There is NO need to change any Black Super Hero White. There is a need to diversify comics more. A lot more. By having a bigger named person change it opens up the readers to that community more. You want to be more inclusive. Not less. Seriously. If Luke Cage or Black Panther were turned White there should be an uproar because they are limited in what they all ready have in that genre. There will never be a shortage of white superheroes so changing them Black or Puerto Rican shouldn't be looked at in the same liight. Because its not the same.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 10-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Reality Champ
    Anyways, off of that and on to the second part of my question. Coulson: Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch, Vision, or other?

I still say Death to tie-in with Thanos. But Scarlet Witch makes a lot of sense.

Its not Death. He is the vision. The girl seen something in him last week and I doubt she can see Death.

I know Death's an extremely long shot, but it's what I'm sticking with.

I think "spy eye" would've said more than he seems different if she had seen wires and gizmos in Coulson's innards.

She trust him so why give his business to someone else?

I have no idea. I just want to follow the story and see where it leads.

Really enjoyed this week's episode of Arrow with The Dollmaker. We also got some glimpse into Black Canary (with what looked like a shout out to the old Birds of Prey series) and a Ra's Al Ghul mention.

Say what?!?! Ra's is gonna be a factor on that? Man I gotta get on that show.

Ra's name drop was pretty sweet last night. Arrow keeps getting better and better. I think four more episodes and Flash shows up.

I really like how they tweak the characters to fit in the universe they've created. Like having Count Vertigo being a drug dealer who's drug is called Vertigo. Or how they got around Black Canary's sonic scream by having her use a tech device.
    Last edited by FoonZeeS; 10-24-2013 at 01:45 PM.

First Captain America trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

Looks good.

I like the new suit.

Is the HeliCarrier gonna get fucked up in every movie now?

*edit* Bryan Singer has released the first footage of Days of Future Past. It was removed from the site I go to and I don't feel like tracking a link down. Also, the first trailer drops on the 29th.
    Last edited by FoonZeeS; 10-24-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Not familiar with Cap comics, so what's the cliffnotes on the villain for this one? Is it that ninja dude that catches Cap's shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    Not familiar with Cap comics, so what's the cliffnotes on the villain for this one? Is it that ninja dude that catches Cap's shield?
    Winter Soldier is Cap's ex-partner Bucky. He was found after his supposed death and turned into a killer for hire. His left arm is metal which looks pretty good in the clip. Eventually in the comics, he becomes Captain America after Steve Rogers death.

Kevin
    New Captain America looks pretty bad ass. can't wait for it. Also can't wait for the new XMen trailer.

First official X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Looks awesome, but I think we all know how well the X-Men films can get fucked up.

Red 2 is the best comic book movie of 2013.

Take that!

Just seen Thor: The Dark World.

HOLY SHIT.

Fucking awesome movie, and the mid-credits scene was even better.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    First official X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Looks awesome, but I think we all know how well the X-Men films can get fucked up.
    A bit disappointed it's not strictly in the First Class universe, but it looks pretty awesome.

The trailer for the latest DC Animated film, Justice League War came out today. It is the story launch of the New 52. Looks pretty awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3F9ASSsHUk

Awesome! DC animated movies are leagues ahead of their live-action garbage.

Has anyone seen Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics? I cant find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Has anyone seen Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics? I cant find it anywhere.
    According to IMDB is was to be released on the 25th.

Amazon has it. I don't wanna buy it tho.

Sorry man, I'm not finding it anywhere, either.

I don't see it either. But now that I know about I want it, bad.

Christopher Lee doing the commentary = fucking win!

X-Men: DOFP will be one of the top 10 Marvel movies ever made, beating out First Class for best X-Men movie.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 10-30-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: computer thought I tried to put smiley in XMen title

Only if they focus on the old X-men for a short period of time at the beginning and end of the flick.