Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book tv/movie thread

Yeah, after I posted that I used my super-special mutant powers of broadband internet to look up an in-depth explanation. Thanks though.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Blade23
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    - Black Widow briefly mentions Department H, the same organization that experimented on Wolverine. They also created Alpha Fight (whatever that is).
    Alpha Flight is some good shit, would love to see a movie centered around them. Although, I'm not too sure they would garner a ton of interest.

I fully believe that 90% of the interest for the entire Avenger's crew is a result of good promotion and word-of-mouth. A decade ago, I wouldn't have spent money on any of the Avengers besides Hulk (which I did when I saw the Eric Bana version in theaters). As of May 27, 2014, the most recent Iron Man, Thor, and Cap features are some of my favorite comic movies not directed by Christopher Nolan.

All that to say that, if they see dollar signs, Marvel can generate enough interest to get any property off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade23 View Post
    Alpha Flight is some good shit, would love to see a movie centered around them. Although, I'm not too sure they would garner a ton of interest.
    Dinklage as Puck.

Dont Kill CAP he is too pretty to die. Kill Iron Man, id rather not recast him and move DC into the armor for a time.

Kevin
    Chris Evans said that he was done with acting after his current deal didn't he? I could swear I heard that somewhere. If its true, Cap is going to bite it.

The English guy that got sent to Nucky in a box from the Italians on Boardwalk Empire is going to play Daredevil in the Netflix series.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1214435/reference

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Chris Evans said that he was done with acting after his current deal didn't he? I could swear I heard that somewhere. If its true, Cap is going to bite it.
    Yes he is. Thats why the guy Bucky was signed to a 9 movie deal. He will probably take the mantel like in the books.

That's true. The biggest thing working against my idea is that he's signed a 6 picture deal, and A2 will only make number 4 not counting his cameo in Thor.

'Sara- As a heterosexual male I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the the subject, but I would think Bucky would cater to the chicks that go for the more ruggedly handsome type. Guess you prefer pretty boys?

Then he has Cap 3 and Avengers 3. He is biting it in Avengers 3.

Civil War?

Doubt it. They aren't gonna paint any of their "Good Guys" in a bad light if they plan on using them in future movies. Also its pointless because the public all know who these guys are. Who would have to register? Hulk? Thor? Cant have Spiderman unmask as the martyr...

Also...First look...

John Wesley Shipp, the original TV Flash, will be playing Barry Allen's father in CW's Flash series.

Maybe they mean UP TO a 6 pic deal? Like, "We're not exactly how everything is gonna pan out, but would you do 6 movies if we needed you?". The reason I say this is because Bucky being in another 7 movies seems like it might be a stretch, imo. I doubt there's many Hollywood executives here, but would Chris Evans be able to "charge" an appearance for a 3 second cameo? If so then A2 would make movie 5, leaving it entirely feasible for Mr. Rogers to bite it and make his final appearance be something like a flashback in Cap 3 or something.

Read a rumor today that Marvel's current outline could possibly see them through to 2028 (not a typo). Guess I just assumed the "Avengers Initiative" was only scheduled to have three phases. This article spoke of Phase 4 as if it were already announced. With so many unanswered questions, the only thing I know for sure is how pissed I'm gonna be if we don't get another Hulk film sometime during Phase 3.

Cameos don't count. Evens was in Thor for 15 seconds and it didnt count. He did an interview where he clearly laid out his plans. Avengers 2, Captain America 3 then Avengers 3 and he isnt acting anymore. He is going to be a Director. He said he only signed a 6 movie deal because it would allow him to step out from in front of the Camera like he wants to.

Bucky is 2 down out of his 9. He has Seven left. I would assume he will be in Cap 3 and Avengers 3 which would leave him with 5 left. More then enough for a Cap Trilogy and the next round of Avengers movies if need be.

or...Sam Jackson was signed to a 9 movie deal. His is almost up. In the comics after Steve Rogers returns from the dead he takes on Furys role in Shield. Maybe instead of doing it with Steve they will do it with Bucky and he will be the go between guy for a few movies. Its not that hard to work it out.

You probably wont ever get another solo Hulk flick unless they find a way to get a lot of cheap CGI.

2028 is correct and after them canning Wright for not wanting his vision I believe it. Wright, Norton and Jon Favreau have been bitten by the hand of Marvel. It will be funny if named Directors / Actors continue to deal with them knowing the fight they will be in for when it comes to "Their" vision.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 05-27-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    You probably wont ever get another solo Hulk flick unless they find a way to get a lot of cheap CGI.
    Why does it need to be cheap? The Edward Norton film (technically part of Phase 1, right?) was very solid, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe has grown into a license to print money since then. Anyone know what kind of deal Ruffalo is attached to? Anything more than a 3-4 pic deal would seem to imply that it's been considered.

I'm predicting a Bucky sighting for A2 whether Cap eats it or not.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 05-27-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Yeah he took that back.

"The Captain America: The Winter Soldier star, who recently stated he wouldn't be taking on any more acting roles aside from the Marvel commitments that he is contractually bound to, feels "silly" for suggesting he was no longer interest in being in front of the camera and only wanted to focus on directing.

"By no means am I planning on retiring," the actor told Good Morning America. "It's kind of a silly statement. But I certainly am going to try to focus a bit more on directing at this point"

and

"If I'm acting at all, it's going to be under Marvel contract, or I'm going to be directing"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/c...acting-3320860

Even Chris Evans knows he doesnt want to turn down Disney Money.

Downey on the other hand has fuck you money.

That's true. The biggest thing working against my idea is that he's signed a 6 picture deal, and A2 will only make number 4 not counting his cameo in Thor.

'Sara- As a heterosexual male I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the the subject, but I would think Bucky would cater to the chicks that go for the more ruggedly handsome type. Guess you prefer pretty boys?
    Chris Evans can do tough guy (see Scott Pilgrim vs the World) and I am a sucker for a leather jacket.

He has grit when he wants it but he also seems a guy who can take you to dinner.

He has SUCH a cute smile

I want versatility.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-27-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Then date a schizo.

Seriously, Bucky fought in WW II like Cap, was frozen in carbonite like Han Solo, and kicks more ass than Chuck Norris having a bad beard day. He can be good or bad, pull off both long and short hair, and beat Cap one on one. He's your man whether you're looking for a ninja, a sharpshooter, or someone with Jax's (from Mortal Kombat) metal arm.

All jokes aside, I have no problem in placing him in my top 5 comic movie villains, right there with Ledger's Joker and Loki.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 05-27-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Kevin
    Retiring or not, Cap is going to bite the bullet before Iron Man does. The comic book fans that will go ape shit when someone dies will go a little less ape shit if the person is SUPPOSED to die vs. someone they just kill off so they don't have to recast him. Oh and if they do decide to focus on War Machine if they killed off Iron Man, they need to lose the stupid Iron Patriot shit.

Retiring or not, Cap is going to bite the bullet before Iron Man does. The comic book fans that will go ape shit when someone dies will go a little less ape shit if the person is SUPPOSED to die vs. someone they just kill off so they don't have to recast him. Oh and if they do decide to focus on War Machine if they killed off Iron Man, they need to lose the stupid Iron Patriot shit.
    You dont watch much Joss Whedon stuff, do you?

The guy you expect to die is never the one who dies. The death has to come quick, painful, and burst the bubble. It is supposed to make you feel like anyone can die. If you THINK someone can die or is supposed to die then when they die the impact is less. If you expect someone to die then they swerve you and have them almost die but live.

(mind you, AS2 completely blew this open)

Joss has always said, people go to the movies to see the characters they love suffer (WASH). He likes the surprise character death (Doyle) and he loves the feeling that anything could happen.

Anyway, Didnt Iron man just go almost braindead and have to upload his brain back into his head? Couldnt they do that into a new body (boom, actor switch)? Or if the next movie bombs have JARVIS turn out to be Tony uploading his brain into the Stark International Neuro-net or whatever and have Tony Stark have to rebuild his body becoming even more dependent on the Iron Man suit. Organic storytelling has always been the objective here and not some slavish following of the comics. Marvel is not DC. They lack the slavish following of the source material. They place familiar characters into new situations instead. Thor is completely different, for example.

Then date a schizo.
    Dont be so limiting. I have high expectations. Ive also met a few boys who have reached those expectations.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-27-2014 at 11:39 PM.

They have cast the guy who does the voice of Jarvis in a role...so Jarvis will probably become something else [Ultron] maybe. Also Joss has no say in who lives or die. If Marvel has fought everyone else on what they want they will fight him Joss to do what he wants as well. He isnt above anyone.

Marvel movies have kept mostly to the Ultimates storyline. They in fact are following a blue print with no wiggle room. Edger Wright is a perfect example of this. If you don't want what they want then you are expendable and someone else will do it. See Jon Favreau leaving after Iron Man 2 and Marvel hiring Shane Black.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 05-28-2014 at 12:12 AM.

They have cast the guy who does the voice of Jarvis in a role...so Jarvis will probably become something else [Ultron] maybe. Also Joss has no say in who lives or die. If Marvel has fought everyone else on what they want they will fight him Joss to do what he wants as well. He isnt above anyone.
    Joss seems to have more power than most. He single-handedly brought back Agent Coulson. According to Whedon's 2013 SXSW panel he said he didnt want to be involved with the show without Clark Gregg.

Just watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 and walked away very entertained. If you ask me, the bulk of the criticism it's received is due in large part to the fact that, in a post-Dark Knight world where these movies are making serious attempts at being considered cinematic art, the Spidey franchise is still happy with it's formula of lots of CGI + awesome set pieces = kids go home happy. With movies like TDK and Winter Soldier excelling in other, more "mature" genres, I can't blame anyone who feels like they now need more with their comic movies. With multiple releases a year though, I have no problem with the occasional popcorn action flick. Every single one of these characters started out as nothing more than colorful drawings for kids, and sometimes I think we forget that. They don't all have to be Shawshank Redemption.

Still, I cried. Kiss my ass.

I needed the SNAP on the Gwen Stacy stuff.

Ya know, it hit me while I was watching it that, even without all the red tape, I don't see how it would be possible to merge the Spidey and Avengers franchises. Why? Two words, one state: New York. Every movie since Avengers has used the alien invasion of New York in it's plot to some degree. Unless Micheal Bay is tapped to work with Marvel, I just can't see these two movie franchises ever co-existing.

I think I only halfway got the joke, 'Sara. Is that an acronym? If you're talking spoilers, remember it's still only a few weeks old.

I think I only halfway got the joke, 'Sara. Is that an acronym? If you're talking spoilers, remember it's still only a few weeks old.
    Im nice and vague. And what? do i have to wait til its out of the theater? Its been out 2 months internationally and a month here in the states.

and im making a reference from a comic book issue that was published in 1973

Well I just know that, as of a few hours ago, I would've wanted a warning before reading any Spidey spoilers on here. I waited not because I wanted to, but out of necessity. Even if it is the least surprising plot twist since the end of Passion of the Christ, I never wanna be the asshole that tells the one person that didn't know.

Well I just know that, as of a few hours ago, I would've wanted a warning before reading any Spidey spoilers on here. I waited not because I wanted to, but out of necessity. Even if it is the least surprising plot twist since the end of Passion of the Christ, I never wanna be the asshole that tells the one person that didn't know.
    So answer the question ... how many days?

I'll answer it like this: I'm not a mod so any answer I give is speaking solely for myself. I'd say any Spidey spoilers at this time are worth a few seconds of you turning your caps lock on to warn others. Now, if you haven't seen Cap yet then I don't think you're trying very hard. Just one dude's opinion.

Fact is, lately it's come down to however long it takes me to find a good copy. I'd prefer the full 3D theatrical experience, but sometimes life just sucks. The Spidey copy I just watched was VHS quality. Same with Cap 2.

Id love to hear a mod out on this. I mean if i post a comic book page from 1973 (Cough http://2w3n73disgxbxb4b.zippykid.net...0-764x1024.jpg Cough) in order to make a reference to something I didnt like in the movie, im not spoiling I dont think and even if i was, hasnt the film been out a significant amount of time? (i always give it two weeks for films and 3 days for tv shows)

Fuck that after 2 weeks something isnt a spoiler.

Wevv mang
    Doubt it. They aren't gonna paint any of their "Good Guys" in a bad light if they plan on using them in future movies. Also its pointless because the public all know who these guys are. Who would have to register? Hulk? Thor? Cant have Spiderman unmask as the martyr...

Also...First look...

MY man Thanos!

Just watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 and walked away very entertained. If you ask me, the bulk of the criticism it's received is due in large part to the fact that, in a post-Dark Knight world where these movies are making serious attempts at being considered cinematic art, the Spidey franchise is still happy with it's formula of lots of CGI + awesome set pieces = kids go home happy. With movies like TDK and Winter Soldier excelling in other, more "mature" genres, I can't blame anyone who feels like they now need more with their comic movies. With multiple releases a year though, I have no problem with the occasional popcorn action flick. Every single one of these characters started out as nothing more than colorful drawings for kids, and sometimes I think we forget that. They don't all have to be Shawshank Redemption.

Still, I cried. Kiss my ass.
    To help support that point, not every comic book was action. It wasn't unfamiliar to have an issue focus on the human aspect of the heroes and set up bigger stories. Spiderman 2 did that. It focused on the man behind the mask while setting up some serious crossovers in the future.
    Last edited by Wevv mang; 05-28-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wevv mang View Post
    To help support that point, not every comic book was action. It wasn't unfamiliar to have an issue focus on the human aspect of the heroes and set up bigger stories. Spiderman 2 did that. It focused on the man behind the mask while setting up some serious crossovers in the future.
    I loved the little touches the movie throws in to remind you that, even in full costume, Spider-Man is still just a dude. If the toy line for this movie doesn't include "sick Spidey" (complete w/ removable backpack) then Marvel is losing money.

The fact that I can call this movie the weakest Marvel movie since the franchise's last entry and still have enjoyed it as much as I did just speaks volumes for how far the genre has come. Just going off the top of my head....

-Man of Steel
    -The Wolverine
    -Iron Man 3
    -Thor 2
    -Cap 2: Winter Soldier

Comic movies these days are like sex- even the worst you get is good.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 05-28-2014 at 03:27 AM.

You actually really enjoyed Iron Man 3? That was unwatchable personally.

So I guess they've cast Charlie Cox as Daredevil for the Netflix series. I didn't know he had continued acting since Stardust.

I definitely get the major criticisms levied against IM3. Hell, the trailers had me itching to bump Hiddleston down a notch in favor of naming Sir Ben Kingsley my favorite big screen Marvel villain. We thought we were getting something on the level of Heath Ledger's Joker, but ended up much closer to Al Bundy. Still, I think Downey succeeded in adding another layer to his iconic portrayal of Tony Stark, and legit making me fall for Pepper's false death is worth at least half a brownie. Even after a year, major action sequence in every comic movie since gets compared to that final action sequence. Hell, for my money I'm not sure it's been beat yet. I'll have to catch X-Men to say for sure.

Point is it entertained me in all the ways I hope to be entertained within the span of 2-2 1/2 hours. While you might have seen a bait and switch debacle that remains a stain on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I saw a movie that provided character development, emotional weight, and top-shelf action scenes.

I know we discussed the reveal of Affleck's Batman a little, but what does everyone think about the official title, Batman VS. Superman: Dawn of Justice? Are we looking at Hollywood's next big franchise or a Game Gear title released in the wrong decade?
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 05-28-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Iron Man 3 was utter trash and it had nothing to do with The Mandarin. In fact the Mandarin bit was the only good thing of substance in that movie. I'm done with Iron man. 2 out of 3 movies Pepper beat the big bad. Fuck that shit.

Iron Man 3 was bad but not as bad as Iron Man 2. Terrible tho. You could have done Demon in a Bottle or even an armor wars situation but instead you had a Stalone style CGI fest when you had the potential for so much more.

Downey is so likable he carries those films.

Oh, If you havent read Marvels, it is the greatest comic book series of the 90s. I would love if Marvel Cinematic told the story.

I personally LOVE the Gwen Stacy storyline even if i feel that this Spiderman is too twilight bullshit.

The snap could have played up the horror of the movie. The horror of the act. I want to see Spiderman driven into that homicidal rage. I want to see him struggle.

oh and X men Days of Future Past is Amazing. It had a high degree of difficulty.

Its probably not as good as Avengers or X-men 2 or First Class or Spiderman 1 or Thor 2. It is as good as Thor 1 or X-men 1 Spiderman 2. Fassbender is Amazing. I <3 him. Magneto is my favorite Marvel Hero.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 05-28-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Id love to hear a mod out on this. I mean if i post a comic book page from 1973 (Cough http://2w3n73disgxbxb4b.zippykid.net...0-764x1024.jpg Cough) in order to make a reference to something I didnt like in the movie, im not spoiling I dont think and even if i was, hasnt the film been out a significant amount of time? (i always give it two weeks for films and 3 days for tv shows)
    Just thought I'd weigh in on this comment. In the case of Spidey, I'm with you its been out long enough now that if someone hasn't seen it, thats their problem. But in general, you bet your ass that'd be a spoiler. Saying its not is like posting something from the Game of Thrones book in the Game of Thrones tv show thread and claiming that isn't a spoiler. So for instance, if you were to post something about the days of future past comic story in this thread to reference the movie, you're spoiling the movie. The fact that the comic has been out for years and years is completely irrelevant.

"The fact that the comic has been out for years and years is completely irrelevant."

I find this argument to be bullshit. If something has been out for 20 years it isn't a spoiler. The problem comes where there is a gray area. Game of Thrones and most comics fit the Gray area. Unless its a direct adaptation 9 times out of ten a "Spoiler" isn't even guaranteed to be the same.

Game of Thrones has done stuff this season that hasn't happened in the books. Does that mean its spoiling the book? Not at all. The Books and the Movies have slight differences. Just because it happened in the show isn't a guarantee it will happen in the books. If you didn't bother to read a book that a movie is based off and someone is discussing it then its on you not to pay attention.

You cant complain about people discussing source material thats literally been out for years and say someone is spoiling something.

Just thought I'd weigh in on this comment. In the case of Spidey, I'm with you its been out long enough now that if someone hasn't seen it, thats their problem. But in general, you bet your ass that'd be a spoiler. Saying its not is like posting something from the Game of Thrones book in the Game of Thrones tv show thread and claiming that isn't a spoiler. So for instance, if you were to post something about the days of future past comic story in this thread to reference the movie, you're spoiling the movie. The fact that the comic has been out for years and years is completely irrelevant.
    Im not sure i agree with that. Look at how she died, getting thrown off the bridge by the green Goblin. It is almost the exact way Kerstin Dunst got thrown off the bridge except Spiderman saves her. The situation is not the same. You have no Idea if they kill off Gwen unless you saw the movie. You dont know that they will kill off Gwen (I didnt think they had the guts to kill off Gwen. Its like saying that because in Ultimate Spider-Man #128 Carnage recreated Gwen Stacy's body and her memories and essentially cloned her. Now if I say that crazy super scientist Green Goblin is going to bring back Gwen Stacy in ASM 3, thats not a comic based spoiler.