Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: General Movie Discussion

I loved War for the Planet of the Apes. Easily my favorite of any Apes movie. It has a lot of heart.

Still can’t say enough about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Seek it out.

Samuel Plan
    About to watch the first Xmas film of the season. I've picked Gremlins. Mainly because, shamefully, I've never seen it the whole way through!

Samuel Plan
    Gremlins was awful.

In other news, I'm listening to the Interstellar soundtrack right now. Gosh I love that film. Top three of all time fave for me. I think it's Nolan's masterpiece too, out of the original screenplays he's directed anyway.

Squared
    I think if I had to watch one of those two again it'd probably be Gremlins....

@lopprimetime

Gremlins was awesome. Bite your tongue, and Intersteller? Really? The three hour snooze fest?

Samuel Plan
    I know Gremlins is a cult favourite, but it wasn't bad enough to be bad but good, not good enough to just be good and, well, really quite boring I felt.

Yeah, did absolutely nothing for me.

You are obviously not a child of the 80s.

Samuel Plan
    I am, by technicality really.

Squared
    The amount of boring films you rave about then call Gremlins boring.... Shaking my head!

Just back from cinema but I will stick that in the comic book movie thread....

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    Slander!

I guess I have a taste that Gremlins wasn't tailored to.

The Brain
    I enjoyed Gremlins just fine, though it's probably a bit overrated as a "classic".

I did really dig Interstellar, not quite an all time favorite but not that far off either. I'm a sucker for Nolan, with a few exceptions. Specifically Dark Knight Rises and Dunkirk didn't do much for me.

Squared
    I'm happier with the smaller Nolan films generally. Things like Insomnia and The Prestige. I don't think I have seen a major film of his that I didn't think was either very bloated, or had ideas above it's station. But some of the more restrained stuff I liked.

Interstellar... Same as the other big ones, good movie in there but take ego out of it and that movie could easily have been 20 minutes shorter with no significant artistic consequences...

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Where do you rank Dark Knight in that mix? That's still my favorite from him, though Memento is very close on it's heels. Also do love Insomnia. Not as crazy about Prestige but not because of the directing, I just thought it a tad convoluted and wasn't wild about Jackman's performance.

Squared
    That's the best example of the 'good film' in there that gets lost for me. I have told the story before but I was enjoying it and just over the 90 minute mark there's a great moment to end it, so good in fact that I was picking up my coat to leave..... And then it just carried on. And I spent another hour getting more and more annoyed by pretty much everything I saw after that point.

So yeah, thought there was an amazing movie in there but Mr Nolan messed it up when he disappeared up his own orifice, if you follow me.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    That was your feeling on Dark Knight, was it? Interesting! What was the moment? I might know it but curious to hear more about it.

Squared
    Oh, can't remember now. That film must be nearly ten years old. I remember the reaction but not what prompted it. If I watch it again I will let you know!

@lopprimetime

I know exactly what Prime is on about. I'm fairly sure (for me, at least) that it's just after the Joker is caught. It just felt like a good spot to end the movie. But then it kept going, because none of the Harvey Dent stuff was wrapped up (or even really introduced yet!). I think I assumed at the time that it wasn't needed and that we'd see his story in the third film. I wasn't complaining at all about the extra half-hour to an hour of film still to go, because I enjoyed it thoroughly. But yeah, I definitely recall feeling what Prime felt on the first watch.

Squared
    Yes, I blatantly remember thinking through most of the second half that they had spurned a whole other movie.

@lopprimetime

As a Batman mark, I remember having no clue Two-Face was gonna show up and being overjoyed that he got his very own arc. Nolan obviously knew what he wanted to do with Rises because the Dent/Two-Face stuff had a way bigger impact on it than Joker. As awesome as Heath's performance was, the Joker arc was more self-contained in one movie than either Scarecrow or Bane. Probably had something to do with his death, but we'll never know for certain.

Speaking of Nolan, anyone seen Dunkirk?
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Squared
    I never watched the third on the strength of how much that last hour pissed me off.

There was a bit of chat about Dunkirk a couple of pages back. Summary was Plan liked it, Mizzie didn't, and I was in the middle!

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    The amount of boring films you rave about then call Gremlins boring.... Shaking my head!
    Which boring films do I rave about?

I just rewatched the Arrival, which was boring, uneventful, gloomy, no one smiled, and completely overrated.

Interstellar was the same. Waaayyyy toooo looooonnnnnggggg. And also completely overrated.

And Gremlins, I was 9 years old when I saw it in 1984. It was a classic 1980s kids horror movie. It may not hold up well, but for 1984, it was awesome. It was so well received and so popular that they made a sequel, the god awful Gremlins 2.

Ryan Reynolds has been cast as Pikachu. Other actors considered for the part were Hugh Jackman and Dwayne Johnson. Guess Rock isn't the most electrifying man in Hollywood, huh?
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Which boring films do I rave about?

I just rewatched the Arrival, which was boring, uneventful, gloomy, no one smiled, and completely overrated.

Interstellar was the same. Waaayyyy toooo looooonnnnnggggg. And also completely overrated.

And Gremlins, I was 9 years old when I saw it in 1984. It was a classic 1980s kids horror movie. It may not hold up well, but for 1984, it was awesome. It was so well received and so popular that they made a sequel, the god awful Gremlins 2.
    Aimed at 'Plan. I would have thought that was clear since he's the one that called it boring...

@lopprimetime

Ok, no worries. Because I am on another movie forum elsewhere where it is a small group of movie lovers that sometimes me of being too critical of movies and boring is one of the words I use often.

Squared
    So just back from The Man Who Invented Christmas. Kinda a bit of a cross between the Christmas Carol story itself and something like Lady in the Van or Saving Mr Banks. It's not the finest movie I ever saw but it's certainly adequate, and does the whole warm and fuzzy thing that it needs to do.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    I was debating whether that one was worth the petrol. Might be a wait for Netflix job by the sounds.

Regards Dark Knight, I think if you lose the Dent thread you lost the core theme of the film. The bit that irks me is the boat set piece. That still winds me up. Not only does it strain the imagination that little bit too far, it just sits jarringly between the core of the movie and its climax.

Squared
    It is worth seeing, unless you didn't like either of those movies, or are not into the Christmas Carol story.

Re: Dark Knight, I honestly thought everything that came after that point was rushed, and hideously underdeveloped. I don't have the benefit of multiple rewatches but if that is the core of the film, then you can be sure I will take that comment and apply it to the film as a whole. I felt as if nothing had any room to breathe in that whole last hour and it would have benefit from being told more slowly. There's no other word for it, when you get past his obvious technical proficiency as a director, it becomes bad stuff masquerading as art. And I can't think of a better description for my issues with Nolan films generally than that, either.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 12-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.

@lopprimetime

The extended Dent/Two Face post boat material in the Dark Knight was added bc of Ledger's death. The Joker's story was not complete, but it kind of just ended with him hanging upside down, and it was sufficient.

But the Two Face kidnapping Gordon's family was added to give the film a true ending and to turn Batman into the Dark Knight. The ending of the movie was supposed to include the Joker and set up for what ever TDKR was supposed to be with Two Face being a main villain AND the Joker having a major part. Dent was supposed to be made into Two Face, but not really go all out criminal in TDK. He was supposed to escape the hospital and then "not be heard from" until the next movie. Ledger's death sped up the Two Face plot and rushed the story to end the movie.

I do not believe that Bane/Talia were supposed to be in the third installment, but that all changed because Ledger's passing.

The Brain
    Ledger passed away after all filming was completed for The Dark Knight so that wasn't a factor in the production. Obviously it probably did change the direction of the sequel though.

Ledger's death influenced the original ending of the movie.

Nolan shelved Goyer's idea before Ledger passed away. There was no guarantee he was coming back to do a third. So, no, Ledger's death didn't influence the original ending. Nolan had already made his mind up.

Is it just me, or is this year's Christmas Movies being released outside of Star Wars, severely lacking?

I really have no desire to go to the movies next week. I may see Downsizing because that looks like it could by fun and it looks like the best option as there is literally, nothing else to see.

The Greatest Showman....meh, another period piece with a singing Hugh Jackman. I'll wait for my fire stick or cable, or may pass entirely.

ALSO, do not even mention Jumanji.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-22-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Got Beavis and Butthead do America on DVD. Watched it like 5 times already. It's just simple and dumb and when I'm in a shitty mood I can laugh at lame jokes for a while. I know it's no masterpiece but for some reason I love it.

Squared
    I'll watch a few of the things coming out because of the pass, so might find a few gems I wouldn't otherwise have seen.

I am very torn on Jumanji. There are some funny bits in the trailer, but I used to adore the original so much and it looks so different. But maybe that's a good thing in itself? Guess I can go and just leave if it's too shit, eh.

@lopprimetime

Call me a snob but I just immediately dislike something like this new Jumanji, seems like such a blatant cash grab with all the trappings of a movie written by a machine and none of the charm or creativity. I'm probably a bit hypocritical because I love Star Wars which is just as much a machine but I dunno in my mind Jumanji falls into the same category as Transformers, the Emoji Movie & Minions.

Squared
    It certainly feels that way but if there's some laughs in it, it'll do for a couple of hours.

Can't lump the Despicable Me films in with that lot though. If it's one thing those films have coming out the wazoo, it's charm.

@lopprimetime

I saw Jumanji in 4DX at the cinema and loved it. It was hilarious, gripping and told some beautiful stories all at once. The Rock and Jack Black are incredible in it and made it worth the admission alone. I love the original in a cult style way and its groundbreaking qualities at the time. And Robin Williams.

But this was better and totally my sort of film. Id actually put it in one of my best cinema experiences as ever (though I appreciate company and 4DX helps). The sheer amusement and intensity it generated was great.

Squared
    I mean I have to see it now, but I won't lie, have a very hard time imagining I will agree with that....

Anyone catch Mark Kermodes best and worst of 2017 lists? I hadn't seen many of them. Noticed Blade Runner 2049 in the best and Justice League in the worst. Have to say I just sidestepped a lot of the shit list, like The Mummy and Geostorm.

@lopprimetime

I saw Justice League and The Mummy. The Mummy was tolerable. Justice League was dreadful.

You could well surprise yourself with Jumanji if you go just wanting to have fun. Although you and I tend to have conflicting views with most things!

Squared
    And as more evidence of that, I thought Justice League was OK, and gave The Mummy a very, very wide berth.

I think Jumanji looks like it could be fun. Hilarious and beautiful though... I mean I am only judging by the trailer here but it doesn't look capable of doing beautiful, or even like it really wanted to try. But I will see for myself, I guess.

But yeah, now you mention it we don't agree on very much ever, do we?

@lopprimetime