Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: General Movie Discussion

The Brain
    Sounds like a movie I would either love or be very turned off by, depending on how it struck me. Might have to seek that one out, just to see.

Samuel Plan
    Decided to explore the Paul Thomas Anderson films I've never seen, as most are available on streaming here.

Watched Boogie Nights first. Really enjoyed it. Tremendous ensemble cast and great character depth across the board.

But then I watched Hard Eight, which I LOVED! What a cracker of a film that is. Basically felt like the kind of film Tarantino wishes he could make, or probably thinks he does make anyhow. Gonna seek that out on Blu-ray soon as I can.

The Brain
    Big fan of Boogie Nights. Haven't seen Hard Eight, but will have to check it out at some point!

Re-watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch this weekend. My god, that's a powerful film. If you're not averse to seeing a musical, absolutely recommend checking it out.

Squared
    I only know some of his more recent films, I think I probably need to dig back into the archive and see what's around. I did go and see his Pyncheon adaptation a few years ago, that was kinda interesting. Definitely not your typical filmmaker I think it's fair to say.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I made the grave mistake of putting on The Expendables last night, with a view to watching the whole series over the next few weeks. Being under the impression that this was your typical cheesy action flick multiple-fold, with dodgy humour abound, I was looking forward to just switching off my brain for a while.

BUT. What I should have realised was that if you put half a dozen (or more) actors known for super wooden acting all into the one film, then the density of that wood will be impenetrable. It wasn't even funny!

Lastly, does anyone else have this MASSIVE annoyance in modern film where the action in a film is deafening, and the dialogue is all mumble mumble and recorded at a low level in the first place? Grrrr!!!! I get so annoyed with that horrible habit that is too commonplace these days.

The Brain
    I didn't mind the Expendables, to be honest. I was well prepared mentally for what it was going to be! Preferred the second one overall, it helps that I'm a big JCVD fan.

Saw a number of films over the past week:

Unsane - Really enjoyed this one, not really horror but more of a thriller of sorts, and it delivered on that level very well. It keeps you guessing and the atmosphere is downright suffocating at times, in a good way. For some reason it was filmed on an iPhone, as a gimmick I guess, but it's not found footage so the effect is a bit odd, but overall I still strongly recommend this one.

Annihilation - People compared this to Arrival and I was hesitant, as I didn't think that much of that film, but I'm glad I took the plunge because I thought this was far superior. Brilliant in terms of design and visual execution, and the small cast makes the most of sparse dialogue and convey a lot without outright saying it. One scene in particular is incredibly intense, and the ending is honestly a bit overwhelming between the visuals and the soundtrack crescendoing perfectly. Very good stuff.

Game Night - A bit self aware, a bit deadpan, a bit slapstick, a bit farce, this one pulled on a lot of comedic devices but came together in a way that I really enjoyed. Reminds me a bit of Date Night from a few years back, but that works for me. Probably not for everyone but I liked it a lot.

Love Simon - The best thing about this film was the atmosphere in the theater I saw it at, which was a very young crowd who by the end of the film were downright celebratory. I really appreciate how a film like this, a coming of age romantic comedy about a gay teen, can be received and praised in such a straightforward way. It wasn't a perfect film but it felt like a moment of mainstream culture being pushed forward in a really positive way.

Pyewacket - Probably the only true "horror" film of the bunch I saw, and I greatly appreciated how most of the tension was executed through atmosphere, with only a few extra-creepy special effects thrown in for very brief shots. A clever story overall too, not perfect but very effective and fairly creative.

Also saw Call Me By Your Name, from last year, but actually didn't much care for that one. It's well executed stylistically for the kind of film it wants to be, but the pacing was very slow for my taste, and I couldn't shake some discomfort about the fact that it's a film about a man in his mid 20s seducing a minor. I know 17 is on the upper edge of that but it just didn't sit well with me.

Samuel Plan
    Great post mizzie!

I've just come to see Tomb Raider. Not hugely fussed about this, but not come to the cinema for a while, it's a Bank Holiday weekend and I figured it'd be a quiet screening so why the hell not?

Toying with an Isle of Dogs or Ready Player One effort (or both!) tomorrow too. And a friend wants to see Pacific Rim: Uprising in the week. Not sure how these are all going to go, but I guess we'll have to see.

The Brain
    Definitely want to see Isle of Dogs, the missus is gaga for canines so that'll be a must at some point. I enjoyed Ready Player One as a fun book, albeit it not without flaws and lacking much meaning, and I suspect the film may turn out enjoyable in the same way, and hopefully some of the flaws will even be eliminated. Never saw the original Pacific Rim but maybe I'll pick it up at some point. Tomb Raider doesn't grab much interest for me, but who knows what I may get up to if I have the time...

I feel very much the same about Ready Player One, was a fun read but the more I think about it the less I like most of the characters and the setting. I'm still keen for the movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    I feel very much the same about Ready Player One, was a fun read but the more I think about it the less I like most of the characters and the setting. I'm still keen for the movie though.
    Did you grow up during the 80's? If you didn't then I get why you liked the book, but didn't love the book as the book was a complete tribute to the 80's.

The movie looks like a tribute to the 90's. I will see it this week and then I'll make my decision of the movie, but I loved the book.

The Brain
    It was the characters I found least likable, they didn't really have much depth and few were pretty problematic, like the extremely stereotypical Japanese guys who were obsessed with honor. The weaving together of nostalgic bits were well done though, as was the adventure element.

Samuel Plan
    Don't see Tomb Raider; it was as boring as it was dumb.

Yeah Mizfan you nailed it with the characters in Ready Player One being very one dimensional. I also really didn't like how the female side kick Artemis was written, she has very little agency outside of acting as another trophy for Wade to collect in the end. I'm not normally one that critiques that trope but it was just a little too blatantly done for my liking.

The 80s references were really well done but the most disturbing thing about the distopia to me was that there was no new creation. Every creation was done as a homage or replica of an existing piece of art. To me that is ultimatelyquite a powerful critique on nostalgia and nostalgia culture and is a very subtle subtext to the distopian setting.

The Brain
    That's a good point about there being no new art in the "new world" of RPO, but I was able to excuse that in my mind because the world kind of fell apart, so of course people are going to look back to when things were going well.

Amen on being annoyed by Artemis though. I couldn't have rolled my eyes harder when at the end the big secret she was hiding was that yes, she was exactly as hot as advertised, but in real life she had a birth mark, oh my god! Moments like that make me really understand where the detractors are coming from. But at some point fun is fun, and the fun parts are still just that. Will definitely see it soon.

This weekend I stayed in and re-watched Singin' in the Rain, which held up nicely as one of my all time favorites. Gene Kelly was a freaking beast.

Squared
    I went with very low expectations for Tomb Raider and got a pretty decent blockbuster out of it.

It's got a tight script that never does anything too daft and handles it's action set pieces pretty well. It's not a life changing film (obviously) but as a couple of hours escapism it does the job.

I usually steer very clear of movies based on games but can't remember one I thought did a better job than this.

Singin' in the rain? Moses supposes erroneously, etc.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Pacific Rim 2 was good, but not great. Sequels usually ramp up the fighting and action. This movie had some cool moments, but was not close to the original. There was no character development, and really nothing great. The twist was good, and well executed, and all the movie did was set up a third.

Please read the Ready Player One thread for my opinion on that.

Samuel Plan
    I thought PR2 was awful. Saw it Wednesday and I legit found it thunderously dull. Just no fun, unlike the first. It felt hollow.

I'm about to see Isle of Dogs and Blockers back to back tonight. Really looking forward to the first in particular!

Squared
    I didn't see the first. Might give the second a wide berth after that review!
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    You'd have more fun slamming your head into a wall of rusty spikes.

Squared
    Double feature today with the other half. Wrinkle in Time and Ready Player One. Both kinda meh, but in different ways. Probably take your daughter to see the first, but if you don't have one it's probably safe to miss it.

Will probably post thoughts on the other in the appropriate thread at some point.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Once again, saw a number of films this weekend!

First one was an older one, John Woo's Face/Off which somehow I had never seen. I'm a fan of Woo's Hong Kong work so I was curious about this one. It was extremely ridiculous, more so than his other work thanks to the ravenous scenery chewing Nicholas Cage, but still very fun in it's own way. Glad I finally got around to watching it.

In theaters, I checked out Oh Lucy first, a quirky Japanese indy film about a woman who travels to America to find her niece, who ran away with her English teacher that the main character was secretly in love with. I liked it pretty well up until the last act, where it got hard to sympathize with the main character as she made some bad choices, and I wasn't very satisfied with the ending which seemed to be trying a little too hard to be lofty and mysterious. Not sure I'd recommend it, though apparently the critics loved it.

Also finally saw the new Jumanji movie, I wasn't sold by the trailers so I waited until it came to the cheap 2nd run theaters, but I'll admit I had a good time with it. Not exactly high art, but there's something to be said by a movie that is just plain fun. I also really appreciated that they didn't "fix" the weird girl in the end, I hate when movies do that!

Samuel Plan
    And I have also seen a number of films!

I was expecting funny things from Isle of Dogs but ended up a little disappointed in honesty. It was a relatively straightforward, if cooky number. I liked then voice work but feel like if lacked the kind of charm it really needed to spark and be something special. Loved the use of language on it, though.

I was pleasantly surprised by Blockers. I expected something pretty bad but it ended up making me chuckle. I laughed out a couple of times too, and found myself mildly annoyed at the fact Cena came off as immensely likeable in it! Not a head turner, but funny enough for me to not feel I had wasted my time. Refreshing my optimistic too, and some nice character development.

Then I saw A Quiet Place. Interesting, high concept film that used sound really effectively. Took too long to get going though, and the characters weren't interesting or likeable enough to carry the film in its quieter moments. Some really tense set pieces I enjoyed, but not one I'd be in a hurry to recommend, especially to paying customers. Emily Blunt was really good in it though; I just feel like the film could've told a more interesting story than the very, very basic survival story it goes for.

The Brain
    The trailer for Blockers made it look horrible, but you're not the first to say it's actually not bad. Maybe I'll swallow my dislike and give it a shot.

Samuel Plan
    I would. It's not hilarious or anything, but like I say, it made me chuckle. Certainly worse, less entertaining ways to spend 90 minutes.

The Brain
    The ass beer scene that they always show really put me in mind that it wouldn't be my kind of movie. I'm guessing (hoping) that's not really indicative of the general tone?

Samuel Plan
    Not really. I found it quite heart warming actually.

I'm totally crushed. I just saw my cinema are doing a T1/2 double bill tonight and it's too late for me to make plans to go see it. But then I thought...who does a four hour film marathon that'll end after midnight on a bloody Monday?!

Damn, that has got to be one of the best original/sequel combos going.

Haven't seen either for years though, may be time to dust those dvd's off.

I just re-watched Wonder Woman and have to say that it was as good the second time as it was the first. While I wouldn't say it was the absolute best super hero movie ever as some seemed to want to rank it but I would certainly put it right up with most of the Marvel stand alone movies. Very engaging action throughout (although the final battle is possible a bit too long) and a very engaging set of characters.
    Last edited by SirSam; 04-16-2018 at 09:14 AM.

The Brain
    God, I love those first two Terminator films. Let's just forget about the rest, shall we?

Big fan of Wonder Woman too, one of my favorite films from last year.

This past weekend went out to the theaters to see Isle of Dogs with the missus. There was more doggie endangerment than we hoped there'd be, but overall I really enjoyed the film. Stylistically it's fantastic, and I enjoyed the story and characters as well. I saw some people made noise that it was cultural appropriation or a white savior film, but I think that's exaggerated. The presentation seemed largely respectful to me, and the only white character is at least two tiers down from being the main hero and played a small role overall. Then again that's easy for me to say as a white American, so someone else may see it differently.

Also re-watched Secretary, which is one of my all time favorite weird little films.

As much as I love T2, I really like the original that much better. It set the standard for AI as a villain, and was a good action movie to boot. T2 reset the standard with the special effects. I could argue that if T2 came out in 1987, just three years after Terminator, it would not be held in the same regard. T2 gets so much love for the special effects.

Rise of the machines was terrible, with the exception of the awesom twist on the ending. Everyone thought that Arnie’s purpose was to help John and Kate end Skynet, but it was to get them to the bunker to save them while the bombs fall Great twist.

Salvation is severely underrated. It paid homage to the three previous movies and tried to start a new franchise. It is not anywhere close to T3 in badness, and it is a pretty decent movie. Not great, but not terrible.

Gensis. Now here is a true conundrum. On the surface it completely reboots the franchise, or it tried to. It had some real cool parts mixed with some terrible ideas. I can watch it without turning it off and appreciate it. I just didn’t like the T-800 going back in time to the 70s idea. That was stupid, but the rest was ok. Better than 3, worse than Salvation.

The Brain
    I think T2 stands as the better film apart from the story. Sarah Connor's character isn't bad in the first one but in the second one she really hits new heights, and John Connor is also a really good character. The arc where the Terminator is humanized is exceedingly well done. Plus the concept of the villain is top notch, yes they were able to use top notch effects to bring it off but it's very well conceived too. I really like both films but T2 is superior in my book.

Have you ever watched the deleted scenes from T2?

They should be put back into the movie as a directors cut. One scene is where the T-1000 is broken after the liquid nitrogen and takes the form of the metal he now touches, which is how Arnie knows which Sarah to shoot. Another has a scene with Kyle Reese in a dream, and the third major cut scene was about how they reprogrammed Arnie. All made some of the questions brought up answered. Go to YouTube for the scenes.

The Brain
    Yeah, I've seen them. They're solid scenes but I think the movie is fine without them, which is probably why they were trimmed. It was nice to see Reese again though.

Then just scene with the liquid nitrogen damaging the T-1000. That explains the ending.

Saw Rampage last night. It was utterly dreadful from a plot point and made no sense. I loved it. It was thrilling, dramatic, over the top, cheesy and the Rock was awesome. It was the shortest two hours of my life.

From the trailers it looks like the director said to Jeffrey Dean Morgan, just play this guy exactly like Negan. Is there any truth to that?

The Brain
    Saw A Quiet Place this weekend and really enjoyed it overall. It didn't blow me away like it did some, but it sidestepped becoming a simple gimmick horror film by building on the premise and giving us some genuinely likeable people to root for. Very good design on the monster as well. I'd recommend it, unless you really want something fast paced because it's definitely a film that builds atmosphere and tension as it goes.

Also watched In This Corner of the World and really liked it, it's an animated coming of age film about a girl living in Japan just before and during WWII. It was fascinating culturally and was phenomenal about building real, fleshed out characters that you couldn't help care about. It was also heartbreaking at times, but didn't wallow in the sadness either. The animation was also really beautiful at times. I strongly recommend it to anyone looking for something under the radar.