Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: General Movie Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    I saw Justice League and The Mummy. The Mummy was tolerable. Justice League was dreadful.

You could well surprise yourself with Jumanji if you go just wanting to have fun. Although you and I tend to have conflicting views with most things!
    I think you have your movies reversed. The Mummy was an absolute piece of shit, and Justice League was fun and better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post

But yeah, now you mention it we don't agree on very much ever, do we?
    No. Which is odd as we tend to be interested in the same things. It livens things up I guess!

Samuel Plan
    First film of 2018 for me was Hostiles.

A mixed bag, it's quite self-important. Typical Bale Oscar bait really. Very unsatisfying conclusion that seemed to miss the film's own point, which I won't spoil here of course, and a relentlessly grim tone.

There are some poignant moments though, and at least one excellent supporting role from Name's character's best mate.

The Brain
    Checking out Molly's Game later today. Don't know much about it, but that's the way I prefer it!

Squared
    So, I did see Jumanji. It's about what I expected. There's a lot of laughs in it and it's not a bad way to spend a few hours. The video game angle is fun at times. But some of the writing is so paint-by-numbers. I mean, it's really bad in places. But there's some really good performances in it and it goes along at a brisk pace, so if you want to be diverted for a couple of hours it'll do the job perfectly adequately.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Jack Black was great in it. He was more convincing as a teenage girl than the actress he was playing.

Squared
    Yeah, he was a standout. The performances are really what make something of the movie. The main four hit pretty much all of their comic lines well and there's enough talent in it that it makes up for a whole lot.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    Film #2 was Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and I agree with most of what's already been said. I REALLY enjoyed it. Like, a lot. It was breezy and light and funny and didn't overstay it's welcome. The casting against type was the absolute coup of the film but the way it was written in relation to video games I thought was done really well too.

A fun and not entirely dumb adventure film. I really liked it. Very refreshing!

Samuel Plan
    And Film #3 was Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Wow. Absolutely blew me away. Incredibly written story. It's a powerhouse of equal parts grim realism and heart-tugging optimism and really makes you emote, but not in an overblown and obvious way; there's zero sentimentality but plenty of warmth that emerges gradually, hard earned, from a cold, unforgiving reality. It's restraint was admirable actually. Even incidental characters get moments to shine and a reason for you to care about them. No character is wholly good nor wholly bad, and though the laugh out loud humour comes frequently it is often utterly jet black.

Then there's the acting; captivating. Everyone is impeccable. Frances McDormand lives and breathes Mildred and Sam Rockwell is a revelation as Dixon. With any justice, he'll be getting some recognition in awards season. Woody Harrelson is as staunchly reliable as always and even Peter Dinklage, whose moments are fleeting in the grand scheme, absolutely shines whenever he's on screen.

It's hard for me to imagine a film coming along this year that'll top it, honestly. As modern Westerns go - and this one has a really excellent soundtrack that properly embraces that genre actually - it's a masterpiece. The way it tackles it's central theme of revenge, of anger begetting greater anger and of love bringing calm and, through calm, thought, makes it a timely and utterly essential film.

Make the time to go see it.

^Easily the best movie I saw this year. Martin McDonagh makes great movies.

Squared
    I'm looking forward to seeing that, hopefully tomorrow.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    And of course I had to go and watch The Red Turtle on Amazon Prime with my tea. Didn't quite expect that. What a beautiful film. Deeply moving, but so simple.

So I just saw Paddington 2 at the movies, haven't seen the first one and went in with zero expectations and it was absolutely fantastic. I'm talking up there as one of the most engaging and emotional family movies I've ever seen. It was funny without sacrificing the drama for laughs, every single actor in it (and there were some big names) gave an awesome performance and the animation was absolutely stunning.

Has anyone else seen it?

I have! And I saw it without seeing the first one also. I pretty much agree with you. It was a great film which made me want to watch the first one. And so I did. And I wasn't disappointed.

Squared
    Not ashamed to admit I saw both, and loved them both. Preferred the first if I am honest but they are both perfect for what they are.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Iím seeing The Greatest Showman tomorrow (Thursday = date night). I have low expectations.

Squared
    I saw it. If you like that kind of movie it's fine. I don't imagine it is special enough to make any converts. But it is big, and bold, and performed well.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I thought it was fine. Better than most films like that. Tugged at the heartstrings a little. But I won’t be rushing to see it again.

Samuel Plan
    "Fine" was essentially my feelings on it too.

I'm very excited to see The Post on Saturday afternoon. This is a subject matter close to my heart, having studied the Vietnam War in depth at University. I'm amped to see some of it reconstructed on film, especially after having watched a really outstanding multi-part documentary series on the War on BBCFour late last year - try and dig that out if you can folks because it was really worth it.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    This is off topic, but 'Plan, have you read any Tim O'brien? If not you should.

Just to get us back on topic, also very keen to see that.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    *Goes and researches*

EDIT: Yes, I have! The Things They Carried was a week's worth of study if I recall correctly. Can't remember much of it though.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    I love that one. Read it at 20 but have had to go back to it several times for various things, and it's on a very select list of things that gets better every time I do.

The other two to consider are If I die in a combat zone, which is the more biographical version of TTTC, and In the Lake of the Woods, which still has some Vietnam stuff in it but is more of a mystery novel.

I am a fan as you can see.

Oh yeah, hoping to catch a few films in the next week or so to catch up on the bits that I am behind on.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    Film #4 of 2018 was The Post; a film I thoroughly enjoyed.

It doesn't have quite the same sense of mastery or lasting impression that Spotlight did, and sometimes it feels at pains with itself to be timely in its commentary. Spielberg loves providing answers for his audience and he does that here on two contemporary issues; as, one of those two is a little too heavy handed to really drive home.

The central theme of press freedom, though, is really well done once the film gets going twenty or so minutes in. The tension builds gradually and it really sucks you into feeling the stakes. Splicing in real world recordings of Nixon is an excellent, un-intrusive touch and it's worth passing specific comment on an outstanding, endearing and effortless performance from Tom Hanks.

It has its flaws - it takes a little time to find its feet, for example, and doesn't quite capture what I felt to be an appropriate sense of outrage at the depth of the scandal being uncovered (though that it doesn't get too preachy is probably an upside!) - but generally I found it engaging, thought provoking and well executed.

Off to see The Darkest Hour tomorrow morning!

101 films to see before you die, hitting bookshelves soon...

So I've just started watching Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets with the missus and boy is it a mess.

Great intro showing humanity's progress into space to the tune of Space Oddity by Bowie, really had me in but then it hard cuts to a bunch of Avatar aliens with no introduction, some stuff happens that gives me no context at all. After that we get a third sudden cut to the guy who is apparently going to be the main character and once again have compeltely no context given before we are on a mission to go to planet fjdksafjsal and do that thing I have no idea about.

Once the actual plot gets going the whole thing watches like some teenage power fantasy. The main character looks about 16 but is still The Best Soldier In The Army and also a 'ladykiller', well at least according to his girlfriend.

Speaking of the sidekick/girlfriend character, she has absolutely no agency whatsoever, she is entirely defined by her relationship with the main character. At a later point Rihanna (yes that is right the pop star) does a shape shifting alien strip tease for the guy and he decides to take her along in his party, which of course his gf is totally fine with.

The special effects were quite cool and the world had a really interesting concept I actually want to see explored but damn did they ever make a terrible set of characters.

We now have 30 minutes to go, it should be the climax but my wife has picked up a book and is reading while I'm here more interested in this.

TERRIBLE, if you really want to watch the intro on youtube but as soon as Bowie finishes singing flick this thing off. DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON IT.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-21-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Squared
    I watched that movie. It's beautiful to look at and that keeps me going. But yeah, crap characters and a pretty weak plot.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    Well I was a bit torn with Darkest Hour. It wasn't anything special, even if Gary Oldman's performance was. Some of it felt a bit televisual, and it fell off a cliff face towards the end with one absolutely just mind-boggling, preposterous scene on a subway that was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed. It never recovered after that for me. Having said that, Goldman was genuinely fantastic and I did like the sense of urgency and tension in what was ostensibly a film about people meeting in dimly lit rooms. Solid, if not special.

I think it's been getting good reviews across the board, though. I know that some critics have come under fire for not liking it, in fact. What did you guys think of it?

EDIT: Cracking soundtrack though, it has to be said!
    Last edited by 'Plan; 01-21-2018 at 05:42 PM.

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    Funny you should mention it. We had a bit of an impromptu double feature at the cinema yesterday. Ran a few errands then went to the cinema, saw the first thing we wanted to see that was coming on, came out, checked the listings and did it again. Long story short, we saw Coco first and followed it up with The Darkest Hour.

It's better than I expected it to be, but honestly it's not all that great. The acting is getting all the rave reviews but honestly, I'm not even fully convinced that Oldman is the best Churchill I've ever seen (though it clearly is a world away from being bad, or even just average). In many ways I was most impressed by the dead on impression of Bertie!

Like you, I think I felt that the thing they did very well was capturing the sense of tension that was there at the time. Just how hopeless it all seemed to be. It's very difficult to do that when you know how something ends but they got into the political minutiae really well and made it feel like less of a foregone conclusion that it'd actually all turn out for the best. Beyond that, I don't think it was anything that special. It did show some of the complexities of Churchill, although some of the reviews I've seen have completely missed that and are fully into the whole cult of Winston thing. What I do think we could have done with is more of the Lily James character, because we've all seen the story of Churchill before but if there really is this young woman working for him and helping him through the darkest hour, that's a really fresh take that people don't generally know about. So that sort of felt like an opportunity missed, something that stayed too under the surface and could have been more of a focal point.

Coco was a lot of fun by the way. You get exactly what you expect out of it, and you'd probably have to have a heart of stone not to feel something by the end.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    I might see if there's a later, more child-free showing of Coco to check it out.

Just on Darkest Hour again, I was really concerned in the opening ten minutes that it was going to be a whole cult of Churchill experience. You could almost sense it in the air of the screening, too. So I braced myself for it. Thankfully, I think they avoided it in the film for the most part, even if it was a bit of an overly sentimental portrayal. To be fair, the dude did make sure we survived WWII and for that we'll remain indebted to his achievements and leadership; but the ignoring of his many warts beyond those six frightful years is bothersome.

I felt it was restrained enough to get away with it, even if a pricklier depiction might have proven more interesting.

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    Film #4 of 2018 was The Post; a film I thoroughly enjoyed.

It doesn't have quite the same sense of mastery or lasting impression that Spotlight did, and sometimes it feels at pains with itself to be timely in its commentary. Spielberg loves providing answers for his audience and he does that here on two contemporary issues; as, one of those two is a little too heavy handed to really drive home.

The central theme of press freedom, though, is really well done once the film gets going twenty or so minutes in. The tension builds gradually and it really sucks you into feeling the stakes. Splicing in real world recordings of Nixon is an excellent, un-intrusive touch and it's worth passing specific comment on an outstanding, endearing and effortless performance from Tom Hanks.

It has its flaws - it takes a little time to find its feet, for example, and doesn't quite capture what I felt to be an appropriate sense of outrage at the depth of the scandal being uncovered (though that it doesn't get too preachy is probably an upside!) - but generally I found it engaging, thought provoking and well executed.

Off to see The Darkest Hour tomorrow morning!
    Might break the 'net, but... I agree with 'Plan.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 01-23-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    Hah! We probably do that more than we realise I imagine.

All the Money in the World is tomorrow for me! Anyone seen it?

Yes you do. It's infuriating.

Yes I've seen it. Will wait till you see it as not to skew your thinking going in.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    Yes you do. It's infuriating.
    How odd. I have no clue why it would infuriate anyone. Except maybe 'Plan.

Finally saw three billboards. Had a moment of panic outside that I might have built it up too much, that it couldn't live up to the hype. And then it actually exceeded my expectations. Doubt I can offer higher praise than that.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    Got film number six in the bag t'other day: All the Money in the World. It's the first real misfire this year for me. Really plodding pace, a narrative that never seemed to peak, tension that never seemed to build and a plot that bizarrely seemed to flip-flop between being way too thin and practically incomprehensible! It's been quite some time since I've seen something so poorly written. Christopher Plummer was good though; none of the others actors were.

EDIT: Number seven was Maze Runner: The Death Cure. Only go see it if you like the first two. I was a fan of those and was a fan of this third one as well. I don't know how, because honestly you could drive a bus through some of the gaping plot holes in all three movies, but they made me care; about the characters, the story and the outcome. The third one, like the others, was nicely directed and nicely acted with some really fun action scenes in and did a better job, actually, of balancing out the character development among the ensemble cast. It was a bit too long but had some nice plot twists I didn't see coming and at least one scene carried a nice emotional punch. All of which, though, only applies if you're a fan. Otherwise I'd advise skipping it as you won't find it to be anything special.

One a separate note, even though the movie is a 12A, in the screening I was in there were two families who had brought in actual toddlers; I'm talking two, maybe three years old. Barely old enough to walk. One lady also had an actual buggy with an actual baby in it, which struck me as probably a bad idea in a loud movie theater. Worse yet, the kids wouldn't stop making the kind of noises toddlers make and despite two people complaining it still took the cinema staff another twenty minutes to ask the parents to remove the children from the screen for disrupting the experience of everyone else.

Honestly, the cinema going public wind me up sometimes; especially those who treat it as a bloody babysitter on a late Sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by 'Plan; 01-29-2018 at 03:53 PM.

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    There's going to be a new Super Mario movie. Not live-action this time, they are teaming with Illumination so it might end up with a flavour of Despicable Me about it.

Caught the last showing of Molly's Game. Was... OK, but kinda flat really, far from what I'd usually expect from Sorkin.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 02-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Samuel Plan
    I'm about to watch 12 Strong. Not especially bothered to be honest but the friend who booked it backed out and figured I had nothing better to do so see how I go.

Got a double bill of Phantom Thread and Journeys End tomorrow so a busy couple of days for me!

Squared
    Phantom thread definitely intrigues me. Full review please!
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Probably gonna check out Winchester this upcoming Tuesday. I get the sense it's gonna be bog-standard horror stuff and may ultimately end up forgettable, but I've always been interested in the Winchester house and the story behind it so that has me hooked. Really hoping it manages to placate me until Annihilation and A Quiet Place come out, looking forward to those two, A Quiet Place in particular.

Samuel Plan
    Film 8 of the year was 12 Strong! A pretty typical post-9/11 war movie. It wasn't as engaging as Lone Survivor but had a fairly similar feel to it. A bit too John Wayne in tone for me personally, and a bit too long as well. Though if macho war films are your thing you might enjoy it.

Number 9 was The Phantom Thread. Very unique; and to can tell it was the same team as There Will Be Blood, even if it wasn't quite as good. Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely outstanding, as is the rest of the cast to be fair. The soundtrack felt a bit overwrought, and became quite intrusive a couple of times. The story is bizarrely compelling though; a warped love story carved out of dark obsessiveness. It's not one I'll be in a hurry to see again, and it certainly took itself very seriously, but I do think it's worth watching if only for its unique narrative.

And finally, Journeys End; which was as emotionally heavy as anyone familiar with the play would expect it to be. It does the play justice as well; there are some extra bits to pad it out, but the writing is seamless in its joins. The acting is solid across the board - though Sam Claflin wouldn't have been my first choice as Stanhope, honestly - and one particular scene between Raleigh and Obsorne moved me to tears. If you get a chance, I'd seek it out for sure.

Sorely tempted to go see Star Wars again in the morning for a third time, but just not quite sure.
    Last edited by 'Plan; 02-03-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Squared
    Saw Phantom Thread. Actually really liked the Soundtrack, thought the use of sound generally was pretty creative actually. Would have hated this film ten years ago but guess my tastes are changing.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"