Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: General Movie Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    I saw Justice League and The Mummy. The Mummy was tolerable. Justice League was dreadful.

You could well surprise yourself with Jumanji if you go just wanting to have fun. Although you and I tend to have conflicting views with most things!
    I think you have your movies reversed. The Mummy was an absolute piece of shit, and Justice League was fun and better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post

But yeah, now you mention it we don't agree on very much ever, do we?
    No. Which is odd as we tend to be interested in the same things. It livens things up I guess!

Samuel Plan
    First film of 2018 for me was Hostiles.

A mixed bag, it's quite self-important. Typical Bale Oscar bait really. Very unsatisfying conclusion that seemed to miss the film's own point, which I won't spoil here of course, and a relentlessly grim tone.

There are some poignant moments though, and at least one excellent supporting role from Name's character's best mate.

The Brain
    Checking out Molly's Game later today. Don't know much about it, but that's the way I prefer it!

Squared
    So, I did see Jumanji. It's about what I expected. There's a lot of laughs in it and it's not a bad way to spend a few hours. The video game angle is fun at times. But some of the writing is so paint-by-numbers. I mean, it's really bad in places. But there's some really good performances in it and it goes along at a brisk pace, so if you want to be diverted for a couple of hours it'll do the job perfectly adequately.

Jack Black was great in it. He was more convincing as a teenage girl than the actress he was playing.

Squared
    Yeah, he was a standout. The performances are really what make something of the movie. The main four hit pretty much all of their comic lines well and there's enough talent in it that it makes up for a whole lot.

Samuel Plan
    Film #2 was Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and I agree with most of what's already been said. I REALLY enjoyed it. Like, a lot. It was breezy and light and funny and didn't overstay it's welcome. The casting against type was the absolute coup of the film but the way it was written in relation to video games I thought was done really well too.

A fun and not entirely dumb adventure film. I really liked it. Very refreshing!

Samuel Plan
    And Film #3 was Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Wow. Absolutely blew me away. Incredibly written story. It's a powerhouse of equal parts grim realism and heart-tugging optimism and really makes you emote, but not in an overblown and obvious way; there's zero sentimentality but plenty of warmth that emerges gradually, hard earned, from a cold, unforgiving reality. It's restraint was admirable actually. Even incidental characters get moments to shine and a reason for you to care about them. No character is wholly good nor wholly bad, and though the laugh out loud humour comes frequently it is often utterly jet black.

Then there's the acting; captivating. Everyone is impeccable. Frances McDormand lives and breathes Mildred and Sam Rockwell is a revelation as Dixon. With any justice, he'll be getting some recognition in awards season. Woody Harrelson is as staunchly reliable as always and even Peter Dinklage, whose moments are fleeting in the grand scheme, absolutely shines whenever he's on screen.

It's hard for me to imagine a film coming along this year that'll top it, honestly. As modern Westerns go - and this one has a really excellent soundtrack that properly embraces that genre actually - it's a masterpiece. The way it tackles it's central theme of revenge, of anger begetting greater anger and of love bringing calm and, through calm, thought, makes it a timely and utterly essential film.

Make the time to go see it.

^Easily the best movie I saw this year. Martin McDonagh makes great movies.

Squared
    I'm looking forward to seeing that, hopefully tomorrow.

Samuel Plan
    And of course I had to go and watch The Red Turtle on Amazon Prime with my tea. Didn't quite expect that. What a beautiful film. Deeply moving, but so simple.

So I just saw Paddington 2 at the movies, haven't seen the first one and went in with zero expectations and it was absolutely fantastic. I'm talking up there as one of the most engaging and emotional family movies I've ever seen. It was funny without sacrificing the drama for laughs, every single actor in it (and there were some big names) gave an awesome performance and the animation was absolutely stunning.

Has anyone else seen it?

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

I have! And I saw it without seeing the first one also. I pretty much agree with you. It was a great film which made me want to watch the first one. And so I did. And I wasn't disappointed.

Squared
    Not ashamed to admit I saw both, and loved them both. Preferred the first if I am honest but they are both perfect for what they are.

Iím seeing The Greatest Showman tomorrow (Thursday = date night). I have low expectations.

Squared
    I saw it. If you like that kind of movie it's fine. I don't imagine it is special enough to make any converts. But it is big, and bold, and performed well.

I thought it was fine. Better than most films like that. Tugged at the heartstrings a little. But I won’t be rushing to see it again.

Samuel Plan
    "Fine" was essentially my feelings on it too.

I'm very excited to see The Post on Saturday afternoon. This is a subject matter close to my heart, having studied the Vietnam War in depth at University. I'm amped to see some of it reconstructed on film, especially after having watched a really outstanding multi-part documentary series on the War on BBCFour late last year - try and dig that out if you can folks because it was really worth it.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    This is off topic, but 'Plan, have you read any Tim O'brien? If not you should.

Just to get us back on topic, also very keen to see that.

Samuel Plan
    *Goes and researches*

EDIT: Yes, I have! The Things They Carried was a week's worth of study if I recall correctly. Can't remember much of it though.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    I love that one. Read it at 20 but have had to go back to it several times for various things, and it's on a very select list of things that gets better every time I do.

The other two to consider are If I die in a combat zone, which is the more biographical version of TTTC, and In the Lake of the Woods, which still has some Vietnam stuff in it but is more of a mystery novel.

I am a fan as you can see.

Oh yeah, hoping to catch a few films in the next week or so to catch up on the bits that I am behind on.

Samuel Plan
    Film #4 of 2018 was The Post; a film I thoroughly enjoyed.

It doesn't have quite the same sense of mastery or lasting impression that Spotlight did, and sometimes it feels at pains with itself to be timely in its commentary. Spielberg loves providing answers for his audience and he does that here on two contemporary issues; as, one of those two is a little too heavy handed to really drive home.

The central theme of press freedom, though, is really well done once the film gets going twenty or so minutes in. The tension builds gradually and it really sucks you into feeling the stakes. Splicing in real world recordings of Nixon is an excellent, un-intrusive touch and it's worth passing specific comment on an outstanding, endearing and effortless performance from Tom Hanks.

It has its flaws - it takes a little time to find its feet, for example, and doesn't quite capture what I felt to be an appropriate sense of outrage at the depth of the scandal being uncovered (though that it doesn't get too preachy is probably an upside!) - but generally I found it engaging, thought provoking and well executed.

Off to see The Darkest Hour tomorrow morning!

101 films to see before you die, hitting bookshelves soon...

So I've just started watching Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets with the missus and boy is it a mess.

Great intro showing humanity's progress into space to the tune of Space Oddity by Bowie, really had me in but then it hard cuts to a bunch of Avatar aliens with no introduction, some stuff happens that gives me no context at all. After that we get a third sudden cut to the guy who is apparently going to be the main character and once again have compeltely no context given before we are on a mission to go to planet fjdksafjsal and do that thing I have no idea about.

Once the actual plot gets going the whole thing watches like some teenage power fantasy. The main character looks about 16 but is still The Best Soldier In The Army and also a 'ladykiller', well at least according to his girlfriend.

Speaking of the sidekick/girlfriend character, she has absolutely no agency whatsoever, she is entirely defined by her relationship with the main character. At a later point Rihanna (yes that is right the pop star) does a shape shifting alien strip tease for the guy and he decides to take her along in his party, which of course his gf is totally fine with.

The special effects were quite cool and the world had a really interesting concept I actually want to see explored but damn did they ever make a terrible set of characters.

We now have 30 minutes to go, it should be the climax but my wife has picked up a book and is reading while I'm here more interested in this.

TERRIBLE, if you really want to watch the intro on youtube but as soon as Bowie finishes singing flick this thing off. DO NOT SPEND MONEY ON IT.
    Last edited by SirSam; Today at 05:55 AM.

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Squared
    I watched that movie. It's beautiful to look at and that keeps me going. But yeah, crap characters and a pretty weak plot.

Samuel Plan
    Well I was a bit torn with Darkest Hour. It wasn't anything special, even if Gary Oldman's performance was. Some of it felt a bit televisual, and it fell off a cliff face towards the end with one absolutely just mind-boggling, preposterous scene on a subway that was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed. It never recovered after that for me. Having said that, Goldman was genuinely fantastic and I did like the sense of urgency and tension in what was ostensibly a film about people meeting in dimly lit rooms. Solid, if not special.

I think it's been getting good reviews across the board, though. I know that some critics have come under fire for not liking it, in fact. What did you guys think of it?

~ Samuel Plan