Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: General Movie Discussion

Speaking of Andy Serkis, the latest trailer for War just hit. So excited for this movie. Woody Harrelson might just be the most adaptable actor Hollywood.

While I'm here....

-Kong: Skull Island was tons of fun. Who knew Kong was such a fan of sushi?
    -Get Out will keep your head spinning for the entire movie. I expect this to do wonders for Jordan Peele's career.
    -Fences is Denzel at his scene-chewing best.
    -Split is so tense it should come with a prescription of Xanax. The final scene (after the credits have started) will blow your mind, especially given the recent news of a certain sequel in development.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Last week, I finally get to see Logan.

What a great freaking movie.

That is all.

Squared
    Seen quite a few movies lately.

Baby Driver
    Logan Lucky
    Atomic Blonde
    The Limehouse Golem
    It
    Wind River

Didn't really like Atomic Blonde. First hour was really great but in the second half of the movie it fell apart and by the end I was bored shitless. Pleasantly surprised by The Limehouse Golem. Came out making comparisons to Se7en and The Prestige but really, although it's a bit reminiscent of them in some ways, it's really just doing it's own thing. Subsequently found out it's a Peter Ackroyd novel but I don't know how true to the source text it is. Without knowing it beforehand, it's not like I care all that much either.

Generally I've liked most of the stuff I've seen this year.

The Brain
    Baby Driver has got to be my favorite movie out this year, closely followed by Get Out. Some great stuff in 2017.

Squared
    Yeah, I was surprised at how much I liked Baby Driver. Very interesting film. Didn't really know what to expect but saw some good reviews and then saw Edgar Wright's name in the credits. Been a fan of his since I first saw Spaced.

The Brain
    Oh yeah, I'm very high on Edgar Wright. One of my favorite guys out there, I just wish he'd work a little more. Seems like it takes ages to get a new film from him each time he puts something out.

Very much looking forward to Kingsman, the first was actually very enjoyable, I went into it thinking it wasnt my thing, very suprised. they have some big names. Bond for a new generation?

Squared
    Went with the missus to watch Victoria and Abdul. Also been scanning the listings, think we're going to try and see American Assassin, Borg vs McEnroe and Kingsman 2 over the next couple of weeks.

'Bear, your experience of Kingsman is actually very much like my mrs - whereas I went in looking forward to it and came out a little bit underwhelmed. Funny how expectation plays a part in all this isn't it.

Samuel Plan
    Saw Kingsman on Wednesday. Didn't find it as fun as the first, but still enjoyable enough!

Wind River has to be one of my favourites of the year so far. Simple, but excellently written and brilliantly performed. Really didn't expect to like it that much.

I'm actually seeing American Assassin in about an hour. Looking forward to it really. Might be catching American Made sometime tomorrow if all goes well.

Detroit was incredible, saw that a few weeks ago. I really liked Dunkirk for its simplicity too.

Wasn't so hot on Atomic Blonde myself. She didn't seem like a very capable spy to me.... And Baby Driver I found mildly entertaining but, honestly, not much more.

The Brain
    Ah, Wind River was definitely very good. I feel like it's been under people's radar to some extent but quite an excellent film. Didn't care so much for Dunkirk actually, which was surprising since I am very much a fan of Nolan in general.

Squared
    Watched American Assassin. Horse shit. Would have got up and left if it didn't make me so sleepy.

I liked Wind River, but couldn't help noticing it's another in a long line of films where there's a white guy who is a better Indian than the Indians. Was OK, narrative kept it going along. Decent enough.

I quite enjoyed Dunkirk. Don't agree with either extreme that came out after it. I didn't think it was the amazing film some claimed, but I was stunned when some then said it was terrible.

Samuel Plan
    Saw Kingsman. Bitterly disappointed, I have to say. They dialled back everything great about the first and dialled up everything that wasn't so good.

The Brain
    Ah, that sucks to hear. I really did like the first one a lot, eye-rolling moments and all. That church scene still sticks with me.

Samuel Plan
    There was still enough to enjoy in it, don't get me wrong. But it felt like it was trying to be as good as the first one through all the wrong ways.

The Statesmen were great fun though.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Finally saw Spiderman. For the life of me I can't figure out why Michael Keaton fell off for some years.

The Brain
    I know, right? He's been excellent in everything I've seen him in recently (Keaton, that is).

Saw the second Kingsman. Wouldn't say bitterly disappointed but I'd agree it's not at the standard of the first. Still some very fun stuff though. They grossly falsely advertised Channing Tatum's role in advertising though.

Also saw a film called "Duckweed", out from China earlier this year, a comedy/adventure with broad strokes similarities to Back to the Future, and really enjoyed it a lot. Worth looking out for if you don't mind subtitles.

Samuel Plan
    Despite my best intentions, I've relented and agreed to go see Blade Runner 2049 on Sunday with a friend.

Although I was under the impression Ridley Scott had directed. That it wasn't has assuaged a certain amount of my trepidation. I've rather liked Denis Villeneuve's other stuff so I guess we'll see. I'm going to do my best to have an open mind but it's hard when Ryan Gosling is playing the lead in a sequel that never was to my favourite film of all time, that adapted my favourite book of all time.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

The reviews for new Blade Runner have been excellent so that’s always a good sign.

The Brain
    The reviews are glowing for it, but that's not always the best indicator. I didn't really care for Dunkirk or A Ghost Story earlier this year, despite overwhelming critical acclaim for both. I'll give a chance though, I've got too many friends excited about it not to end up seeing it at some point.

Samuel Plan
    Just watching Logan on Blu-ray. Really is a top notch example of the genre.

Long felt X-Men has quietly been the most consistent, top level superhero franchise of the lot actually. X2, First Class, DOFP and Logan are among the very best of the genre's history for my liking.

The Brain
    I didn't actually care for Logan. I can see why others did, but it just didn't sit well with me. The much vaunted R Rated felt like a cheap gimmick (we see breasts flashed in the first few minutes, I assume just to prove that we can) and didn't add as much as I hoped. I didn't really enjoy the overall sullen grimness of the future that was portrayed. I assume there will be some hand waiving to ensure it's not the canon future, but still to be plopped down and told all the other mutants are dead because of reasons was disheartening for me, especially since one of my favorite things about the Wolverine character is the rich and complex relationships he has with the other well known characters in his history. Instead, he was opposed by... robot arm guy.

I definitely dug Patrick Stewart's performance, though some of his dialogue also felt a little like it was written to needlessly remind people it was indeed an R Rated film. Him crying and apologizing as they rushed him out of the hotel though, that was a scene that stuck with me. Once he died, I really struggled to stay invested. The little girl's character, who had been interesting to me at first, quickly became annoying when she started talking, and the bond she forged with Logan felt very forced to me.

All in all it just didn't impress me that much, but I've never been a big fan of Hugh Jackman's portrayal of the character so I may have just been the wrong audience for it. Also, after I saw it read an article pointing out some overwhelming similarities with the (far superior, in my eyes) film Children of Men that I wasn't able to unsee, so that might be a factor also as I look back on it. I didn't think it was bad exactly, just flawed in too many ways for me to be that excited about it.

I do agree that the X Men franchise is underrated to a certain extent.

The Big Sick is great, though nowhere near the perfect 10 IGN gave it. Not even the best Apatow film.

The Brain
    Really liked the Big Sick. Agree it's not perfect but very enjoyable. Didn't think it felt very Apatow-ish but for me that's not necessarily bad, as I find his stuff a mixed bag overall.

Squared
    Snuck out yesterday afternoon to catch the last chance showing of Borg vs McEnroe. I enjoyed it. Reminiscent in some ways of the movie Rush about Niki Lauda and James Hunt, although obviously different in key ways too. Less action-y, as you might expect moving from the high-octane world of formula 1 to Tennis. Some of the Tennis itself is well shot, mind, and I think some of the psychological stuff was probably more interesting here than in Rush, which seemed at times to settle for a more simple binary opposition between the two rivals.

It's not going to change your life or anything, but definitely worth a watch if you've got a couple of hours free.

Should be going cinema again this weekend with the Mrs. Don't know whether we'll risk seeing Kingsman in spite of the negative stuff we've heard, or dive straight into Blade Runner. It's going to be interesting if we do the latter because she's not actually seen the original, so you'll get two very different perspectives on it since I've seen it maybe half a dozen times.

Samuel Plan
    The price I've invoked on my mate for seeing 2049 is for him to watch the first which we're doing tomorrow. Can't wait for that actually!

More people seeing the original would be a wonderful outcome of the unnecessary sequel does well.

Hi Plan! I was going to watch 2049 at some point soon. Do I need to watch the first film first? Do I need to watch it at all? Nice to see you around again!

Meanwhile... there's a Borg v McEnroe movie that's better, psychologically, than Rush?? How did I not know about this?? I'm absolutely going to have to see that film.

Squared
    I would say that it is better at that. It makes the most of the very nature of Tennis and it's unique pacing to build things up. And I think that allows you to get into the head of the two men, and what they have to do to be who they are. I don't know his work very well so I was very surprised at how well Shia Labouef (sp?) played McEnroe. I'd only ever heard bad things about him, to be honest, and I think he captures something really well here.

In defence of Rush, I think that's a more attractive film to look at, and I'd still say it's the better technical achievement and might be better overall. But there's still a lot to like in this film.

Samuel Plan
    Hi sheepy! I've never not been around, just less talkative is all!

I haven't seen the new one yet of course, but I'd say, just knowing the first, it'll be worth watching it first.

The Brain
    I would definitely recommend people watch the first Blade Runner before seeing the new one, or even if you're not going to see the new one. It's not an all time personal favorite of mine but it is a damn good movie and historically significant to boot.

New Pacific Rim trailer is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjicxMPDzs

Samuel Plan
    Not sure what to think....

I hated that as much as I hated the trailers for the first one.

Then I loved the first one.

Conflicted!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    Never actually wound up seeing the first one. When it's here you guys will have to let me know if you can watch the second as a standalone or not.

Been a quiet couple of weeks at the cinema for me, as there's not been a lot on that has really gripped me. Looks like business is about to pick up from the trailers when I saw Blade Runner though. A lot of it is comic book stuff but there should be at least half a dozen things to see between now and Christmas.

The Brain
    Just saw Happy Death Day last night. Not a great film by any means but a pretty fun and creative one. I like horror (though it's not especially scary) and I like a movie with a strong premise, so it worked well for me.

Squared
    You'll be loving cinema listings at the moment if you're into horror. I tend to think most horror films are crap and they don't appeal to me much, and it seems that the vast majority of things on near me are horror at the moment. Feel like I'm not getting as much use out of my pass as I might right now. More stuff that interests me on the way from the end of the month, though.

The Brain
    Ah, I'm very much the opposite. Have a great time with horror, I'm very rarely "scared" but I enjoy films with high stakes and a thriller and/or supernatural element, and horror films usually deliver one way or the other. I'm a sucker for the old Saw series so I'm interested in the sequel (reboot?) that they've got coming out soon. For me it's not about the gore but about the story, believe it or not. I appreciate the strong continuity between the original films, which you don't often get in long running horror series. Would love to see that continue but we shall see.