Thread: the guitar thread

the guitar thread

Who here owns a guitar? I'll post pics of my Gibson in a bit.

There are a few in the house, but the prized possession is this one:

It's from the 2009 Limited run series - Gibson Les Paul Studio in a blue mist finish

An example of it is being played at about 2:52 in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcp5mrsYmBU
    Last edited by KrazE; 09-26-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Heres me playing guitar

@El_Duderino_999

No God
    Sounds like a cat being tortured.

I'd like to hear you try.
    @El_Duderino_999

Shinobi
    I own two Fenders, a Mexican Strat (which is currently in bits because I'm trying to repaint it and do it up) and a gorgeous limited edition rosewood Telecaster. I've also got an Ibanez SA, which was my first guitar.

I almost bought a second Tele, a Deluxe in Arctic White, and I would love, love to own a Gibson 335. They are beautiful.

Ooooh. I'd love an arctic white telecaster.

I have a few guitars. Nothing special. The fanciest one is an almost certainly fake Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty.

I already know what my next instrument is going to be. A solid body electric ukulele. This one, to be precise: http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/zc...ro-ukulele.jpg

It's so preeeetttyyy...

Kathern875
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathern875 View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    wtf?
    Someone needs to kick that poster in the taco

Cisco Magnum

I was looking for a surf guitar and ended up getting one of these HH Bullets for my birthday. For the price (mine was $100 delivered; you can find them $89 - $129), you can't beat the quality, fit, finish, etc. This from a guy who usually does not like a strat style guitar. It was what Dick Dale played, though.

My oldest son plays this Warrior clone. His brother plays a one pick-up BC Rich Warlock repainted (badly by the last owner) to look like a Joey Jordison model.

My daughter plays a Samick SG clone.

None of us have a clue what we are doing, but it's fun.
    Last edited by Cisco Magnum; 12-17-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Yeah. I clearly have no idea how to play guitar but I don't care. Punk metal FTW!
    @El_Duderino_999

Currently messing around with a 7 string.

Stopped playing very often recently, the new laptop has taken over my life. It's probably good to take a break as the guitar was starting to frustrate me and make my mental health worse.

I went to free guitar lessons for a while and realized I suck even worse than I thought. I can't even play a simple chord progression in time.
    Last edited by The Dude; 07-13-2016 at 03:54 PM.
    @El_Duderino_999

Squared
    I don't really get to play it very much anymore which is a shame, but my main guitar is a white telecaster. Plays very nicely. I also have an Ibanez, and a couple of acoustic guitars as well.

I used to be halfway decent for someone who didn't practice very much, but I'm absolute horseshit nowadays. Couldn't play a solo to save my life anymore.

I'm sort of surprised I've still got the same guitar. Cheapest ibanez 7 string you can get but it's great for someone like me.

I admit I have sold it to the local pawn shop before but bought it back.

The only dislike I have about it is my own fault. - it's disgustingly dirty on the fretboard. I just cannot be arsed to clean it...

Squared
    Unless you're going to play for other people, then it's not really going to matter a great deal. It does affect sound quality and all but if you're only playing for yourself that won't matter so much.

It's pretty easy to clean, once you've got the strings off. Having enough willpower to restring the thing in the first place is the tough bit and again, it's not a job that you need to worry about unless you're going to be performing.

I change the strings all the time.

Amazon do a good deal on packs of high es.

Squared
    Ah well in that case cleaning the fretboard is easy enough to do. Not like you even need to buy anything, as you can just use a damp cloth. If you had an expensive vintage guitar then you need to worry about polish and the like but in most cases it's not necessary.

As I say, you've done the hard bit by taking off all the strings, so you might as well at that point. It makes a big difference to the tone, and I always found it helped you to play faster stuff more consistently, especially on a lower action.

I'm sure you'll get this joke.

My low seventh string is gauge .69

I even stuck the empty packet to my wall... Yes I'm quite sad like that.

So, I had a really bad day recently and ended up deliberately breaking my 7 string. RIP to the 2/3 year old 7 string.

How'd you do that?

I just picked it up and smashed it on the ground and the neck snapped off.

Oh geeze. Can't say I can ever imagine doing that to one of mine in reality not that I haven't dreamed of smashing one in a moment of rock n roll bliss.

It was quite far removed from RnR. I had run out of medication and cigarettes and the guitar paid the price. I know it was stupid. I feel stupid for doing it.

Squared
    Actually trying to get back into playing at the minute. Barely looked at the thing for a couple of years so I am trying to put that right.

@lopprimetime

How is it getting back in? I have played maybe a handful of times in the last year and I'm actually a bit worried for when I pick it back up.

Squared
    I've lost a fair bit of speed when trying lead stuff but other than that, not too bad. Takes a bit longer than it used to if you want to try and get a lick down but it's not like starting again or anything.

@lopprimetime

What guitars & gear do we all rock here?
    I don't have anything to expensive but love my stuff none the less. As far as what I've got:
    - Steele String Acoustic Eagle, red dyed wood on the body with a rosewood neck I got this when I was overseas in Brasil in 2007, I've played the crap out of it and it frankly needs to be serviced major or replaced but I love it because it was the first guitar that was mine and was the one I did the majority of my learning on.
    - Fender Squire Stratocastor, black and white body with rosewood neck. I actually got this for my 6th birthday in 1995 when I got my first set of guitar lessons (gave up when I turned 7ish). I got it because my guitar hero at the time was Murray, the red Wiggle and he had that guitar. It still rocks too, great poppy classic Stratocastor tone. Really nice thin neck, real fun to play.
    - Epiphone Dot, cherry red. Got this one as a wedding present from my wife in late 2011 (no wonder I married her). Really inspired by Dave Grohl who plays a Gibson semi-hollow but couldn't afford the full priced beast. This is my go to guitar though, very versatile for rhythm or lead. Very warm clean sound but can get a decent rock growl too. Love this one.

My amp is a Vox 80+ which has a ton of tone options on it so is a lot of fun to play. I got this at the start of 2013 after we moved to my current city Newcastle because of my wife's illness, was a great joy to me in a very hard time. Only problem is that it is way way too loud for what I need. It mostly hovers around the 1setting as putting it any higher just blows down the house. Not a terrible problem to have though.

But that is mine. What have you got? If this kicks off I might even post a pic or two.

Oh, man. I love the look of that Epiphone if it's the one that google images recognised. That's a beautiful thing.

Currently, I'm rocking the Kala Archtop tenor ukulele. I've had it for about 5 years now and it's my favourite thing in the world to pick up and noodle about on. It has a really warm mellow tone and it can go electric too, which is just awesome. I've got a crappy no-name amp with a Zoom pedal that I have from when I thought I could play guitar.

I was bought one of these beauties for my 30th birthday last year.

I've been debating getting a uke - they look like fun. I don't really get the time to play much guitar these days, but something I could pick up every now and again would be good.

That is a damn good looking uke Sheepster, love the starburst finish on it. One of my old housemates had a uke and it was pretty fun to play if not a bit trippy having such different notes and chord shapes to a guitar.

That one you pulled up looks very nice Shinobi, very Santana, I can imagine some very nice tones coming out of that.

Here is pretty much the Dot that I own (by request).

It is indeed a VERY beautiful guiatar and also very versatile. Personally I love playing rhythm guitar and it is pretty much the dream for that becuase the semi-hollow style with humbuckers offers such a full sound. It is pretty fun lead too but as I said I enjoy rhythm more so that is why I have it. Hell you can even play it completely unamplified and it doesn't sound completely horrible but is quite enough that if you wife is in the same room as you while you guys watch TV she can't really hear it (I used to like to muck around with it while we watched movies together).

You can use exactly the same chord shape on the ukulele as you can on the guitar. Just imagine that the low E and the A strings are missing and you're good. Also it's transposed up by 5 semitones. So the D chord on a guitar works perfectly fine on a ukulele. It's just a G chord instead. Easy!

I bought a new guitar. Epiphone SG. It looks very similar to Sam's guitar only not quite the same.

It's good but the pickups are a bit of a let down. It sounds too weak for my tastes. I was looking at Seymour Duncans on the net but they're like 100 pounds which is almost the price of the guitar so F that. I'd love an ESP/Dean/Jackson but they're generally quite expensive even for the cheaper ones.

My amp (which thankfully I haven't sold/broke) is a Line 6 Spider. I hear loads of negative things about them but I don't give a crap, it's metal as hell. It's all those metal purists that believe they know everything that say that. If it does what you want, why complain?

I use Jazz III plectrums, usually Erine Ball 10s and um, that's about it.

I haven't really played it all that much.

Started playing again lately. Acoustic blues stuff mainly