Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Voice 2014 Reference Thread

The Voice 2014 Reference Thread

Hi everyone,

It's about time for another competition around here, don't you think? This is a contest I've been wanting to run for a while and I've now received confirmation from a couple of people about a couple of things, so it's time to make the announcement. This contest will be modeled very much on the NBC singing competition show. There will be four teams, each led by a coach who is either a current or former main pager. The competition will be structured as follows:

1) The Blind Auditions

Anyone who is interested in participating in the contest will send an email to XanManX@hotmail.com. Your column can be on any subject of your choice, but must be no more than 1,000 words; everything included. While you can title your column itself, please don't include the overall title of your column series, if you have one, as the intention here is that only I know who the author is. Collabs are allowed, with the understanding that either, both, or neither can advance, depending on what the coaches like in the performance. The deadline for me to receive your entry is Friday, January 31.

On Monday, February 3, I will begin posting these submissions. Only the submitter and myself will know who the author of each column is. The coaches will have 24 hours to state their intention for each contestant to be on their team. If only one coach claims an entrant, that entrant will be on that coach's team. If more than one coach does, then the entrant will get to decide on whose team he/she would to be. I will post another column at the time 24 hours are up or once I have been informed that all of the coaches have had the opportunity to read the current column and decide if that writer is for them; whichever comes first.

2) The Battle Round

Coaches will split their teams into pairs who will then write a collab with each other. The coach will then decide which did a better job and will move on.

3) The Knockout Round

Coaches will split the winners from the previous round into pairs who will each write a column. Again, the coach will then decide which did a better job and will move on. Depending upon the turnout, there may also be a "steal" option where another coach can steal the loser of the battle for his team.

4) The Voting Rounds

Once the teams are shaped by the coaches, now it's your turn. The fate of the contestants will now rest in your hands, as those with the lowest vote totals will be eliminated each round. How many will be dependent upon the actual # of contestants.

There may be some "theme" weeks, but bye and large, the content of the columns will be decided by the coach and their contestant. The winner of this contest will receive a spot on the main page. Feel free to start sending in your entries any time. There is no need to let me know your intention to enter; your entry is all that's required. Good luck, everyone.
    Last edited by XanMan; 01-13-2014 at 02:01 PM.

'Plan
    This sounds like it could be very interesting. Will enjoy playing a guessing game to myself as to who writes what!

Suggestion: if MPers plug this on the MP, the blind audition part may encourage some new signings for that feeling of protection of anonymity.

I'll help out if you need something Xan

I was sitting here considering joining for shits and giggles until I got to the winner receiving a main page spot thing. I've tried that three times, now, and don't so much think a fourth attempt is something I'm interested in. Still, though, I'll be very interested in seeing this all play out and am, of course, at your disposal when it comes to mod related things.
    Wanna do a good deed and get a spiffy t-shirt out of it?

Click the picture and give a read, please.

King of the Machina
    Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    and am, of course, at your disposal when it comes to mod related things.
    Does this offer apply to me as well? Because I have a few requests/demands.

LOP's resident Boliever
    I am available for any help if needed but may I ask who you have set up as the coaches?

If they involve Randy Orton, the answer is no. I've told you thirty goddamn times already that we will not be renaming this the Randall Keith Orton Memorial Columns Forum, nor will we have a mandatory OrtonMania month to coincide with his birthday in April.

King of the Machina
    Not even for a cool $20?

Not even for a warm $40.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzorf View Post
    I am available for any help if needed but may I ask who you have set up as the coaches?
    You may ask...

'Plan
    Who do you have set up as the coaches?

...what? You said I was allowed to ask!

King of the Machina
    I am The Coach T.O.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    Who do you have set up as the coaches?

...what? You said I was allowed to ask!
    Technically I said zzzorf was allowed to ask.

'Plan
    Hah.

Good luck with this one folks....

BeyondKnight
    So if I write something I shouldn't write 'Nation' a dozen or so more times in the narrative?

Well, since your sporadic appearances mean nobody knows who the fuck you are, I don't see how it would matter.

I'd better keep my wrestler imitations to an absolute minumum then.

If no coach choose your entry in the blind audition, you will be out of the competition right? Just confirming. Thanks!
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

Sorry but I had to do this.

That would be correct in my assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobWrestledGod View Post
    If no coach choose your entry in the blind audition, you will be out of the competition right? Just confirming. Thanks!
    Most likely. Depending on how the teams balance out, some may get a chance for another audition. Like, say, 2 coaches have 6 each and two have 5, but there are no more contestants, then I may poll the coaches and see which of the rest they liked best and have a few of those write again to try and gain a spot.

Hmm, sounds like a really fun concept.

Good luck to everyone involved.

I'd love to enter, but all of my columns are obviously my columns, even when I've signed up as someone else and posted, I was caught by my Indian fan club... There is no way people wouldn't know it was me

And there is no way I could end my steak of 82 columns with a William Regal mention

LOP's resident Boliever
    I was going to repost the column I wrote about developmental territories which tied in with the CF on my spot on the MP to promote the tournament but I don't think it fits properly.

I am still willing to publicise the tournament though so if anyone who is a better salesman than me wishes to write a little blurb about this for me I will be happy to add it to my columns.

LOP's resident Boliever
    I have added a Special Announcement for this competition to the beginning of my current block of rankings, hopefully it will score some extra sign ups.

How are we going so far for entrants?

Thank you for doing that, zzzorf. The entrants have been pretty sparse so far. Everyone, please remember to get your audition in by Friday!

'Plan
    Xan's put much effort into this one folks! Get submitting some stuff!

Remember, folks, two more days to get your submissions in, as the auditions will start being posted on Monday.

The Coaches are:

PEN15--Great critical thinker, outspoken main page columnist, and one of the most respected posters in LOP history.

"The Doc" Chad Matthews--Main Page Columnist, LOP Radio host/co-host, and author of what's being called one of the best books about wrestling ever.

'Plan--former Main Page Columnist, many time COTM winner, and author of the greatest wrestling column series to have ever existed.

Skulduggery--Excellent at all forms of column writing; standard, creative, humorous, stats, you name it, this former main pager can do it.

I'm glad to be a part of this.

The Doctor's Orders
    This is a very cool idea. Looking forward to it.
    LOP Writer since 2004. Former Smackdown, ECW, Raw, and WWE PPV Reviewer. Current LOP Columnist since 2010.

The Doc's first book: "The Wrestlemania Era: The Book of Sports Entertainment" on sale for LOP readers. Click here

'Plan
    Indeed. Should be interesting helping and advising numerous (I hope!) columnists at a time.

Good luck to the other coaches if this goes ahead.

Skulduggery
    I'm still trying to decide if I want to emulate more of a Paul Heyman or a Zeb Colter persona for this competition.

Oh, it's going ahead, but it may be a good idea to skip the battle round. We'll see how many you guys select.

LOP's resident Boliever
    So how many entrants did you get Xan?

Looks like around fifteen.

StormDragonZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulduggery View Post
    I'm still trying to decide if I want to emulate more of a Paul Heyman or a Zeb Colter persona for this competition.
    Scott Steiner.

I'm about to post the first audition. These are being posted exactly as received. No editing, no commenting from me. I haven't even read them yet, so we're all, in essence, seeing them for the first time.

Skulduggery
    So all of the entrants know, if I don't give your column a "Yes", it doesn't necessarily mean I didn't like it. I'm going to try to play this somewhat strategically, but obviously I'll be playing the odds a bit. To me, the selection process is akin to a game of blackjack.

Let the games begin! 'Plan, I hope that sense of competition you wrote about in 101: Hart/Perfect is still strong...

'Plan
    Skul my friend, as anyone who follows me on Twitter or knows me quasi-personally will tell you, you need never worry about my sense of competition.

Though my primary goal remains to help improve the writing of those entered of course!

Coughandwincough.

Super Chrisss
    I know I'm late to the party, but after reading several of the auditions, I'm sad I declined the offer to be a judge.

Also, Xan, stop being such an attention whore. When someone clicks on the sub-forums, all they see is column after column posted by you. You can call it sticking to a formula, I call it self-propaganda

'Plan
    Chrisss, you should be happy you did. Team 'Plan is going to be cleaning up!