Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Song Of Ice and Fire (Thread for the Books ... careful Spoilers)

While I do think a writer has some obligation when writing an epic series to finish, the guy can't force himself to finish or its gonna be a terrible book. I don't think anyone here has written book, I haven't but its not a 9-5 job. Shit takes time, especially so for this genre. Not everyone is Brandon Sanderson. I also doubt very much that Martin's other works are taking away precious time. Short stories and history type book are not full on epics..

You don't have to support him, not like he needs your money anyway.

Sarah, I have read the first couple of Dunk and Egg stories. I have not read the third one yet. Nor have I read The Princess and The Queen or the Rogue Prince. Didn't even know about the latter until you mentioned it, as for the former, I'm reading Dangerous Women now, but what I tend to do with anthologies is read one of the short stories in between other books I'm reading. So, I'll get to it, but not exactly sure when. Here's the thing with all of these other ASOIAF things he's writing (and to be fair, Patrick Rothfuss' "The Slow Regard of Silent Things",) though: to me it's a lot like George Lucas deciding to make the prequel movies after the original trilogy. Maybe what's gone before is important in a historical sense, but what's past is prologue to the story that's currently being told. Did I want to see all the events that led to Anakin becoming Vader? No. I wanted to see what happened after the second Death Star fell. That's why I've gravitated only to the novels that happen after that time and not read anything pre-Empire. That stuff just doesn't interest me. I want to see what happens going forward with the characters I've grown to know and (foolishly, since Martin will likely kill most of them, lol) care about. If I don't get to see what happens to John after he dies or to Dany as she has gotten Drogon back or to Davos as he tries to retrieve Rickon in the manner I first encountered them, it'll be a bit sad. I miss my friends, is the thing, and if I have to see that on screen instead of reading them on pages and seeing them with my mind's eye, that's fine. I just think it's a shame that Martin's content with that, as well.
    Last edited by XanMan; 11-08-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Reality Champ
    Honestly, the biggest problem with GRRM is how he portrays himself in all this. Like you said Xanman, Rothfuss definitely has some GRRM in him, but he keeps fans in the loop as to where he is, and as to why he put out the novella, and is basically totally apologetic the whole time. GRRM basically tells the fans to go fuck themselves and it'll be ready when it's ready. I know, it's a petty thing, but it factors in that Rothfuss is totally likable, while GRRM is a jerk.

Yes, there is that, but I was attempting to be diplomatic. Since we're on the subject, though, he's not just a jerk, he appears to be a complacent one who doesn't give two shits about whether he ever finishes the series or not, which is what I was getting at in my previous post.

Do you not like Abercrombie, Aman?
    Last edited by XanMan; 11-08-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Where can you get the dunk and egg stories, the only ones I can ever find are like 93 bucks. Sorry I can't justify spending almost 100 bucks on a fucking short story.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    Yes, there is that, but I was attempting to be diplomatic. Since we're on the subject, though, he's not just a jerk, he appears to be a complacent one who doesn't give two shits about whether he ever finishes the series or not, which is what I was getting at in my previous post.

Do you not like Abercrombie, Aman?
    Nah, not a fan. I kind of get why people like The First Law trilogy, but I thought his characters were fairly shallow, and there was really no reason to care about any of them, between the shallowness and the fact that all of them were pretty miserable people. The story and world was decent-enough though.

Speaking of Rothfuss gonna probably start reading The Slow Regard of Silent Things next. That or finish the last two books in the The Cleric Quartet series. Been meaning to read The Graveyard Book as well.

I'm finishing up Executive Orders right now (Clancy books take me a long time; they're so meandering,) but then it's on to House of Chains: Fourth in the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Reality Champ
    I'm finishing up Executive Orders right now (Clancy books take me a long time; they're so meandering,) but then it's on to House of Chains: Fourth in the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
    About to start Malazan. Been trying to start it for a while, but been so busy lately.

And you really don't want to read one when you can't pay attention. They're fantastic, but do take concentration.

Sarah, I have read the first couple of Dunk and Egg stories. I have not read the third one yet. Nor have I read The Princess and The Queen or the Rogue Prince. Didn't even know about the latter until you mentioned it, as for the former, I'm reading Dangerous Women now, but what I tend to do with anthologies is read one of the short stories in between other books I'm reading. So, I'll get to it, but not exactly sure when. Here's the thing with all of these other ASOIAF things he's writing (and to be fair, Patrick Rothfuss' "The Slow Regard of Silent Things",) though: to me it's a lot like George Lucas deciding to make the prequel movies after the original trilogy. Maybe what's gone before is important in a historical sense, but what's past is prologue to the story that's currently being told. Did I want to see all the events that led to Anakin becoming Vader? No. I wanted to see what happened after the second Death Star fell. That's why I've gravitated only to the novels that happen after that time and not read anything pre-Empire. That stuff just doesn't interest me. I want to see what happens going forward with the characters I've grown to know and (foolishly, since Martin will likely kill most of them, lol) care about. If I don't get to see what happens to John after he dies or to Dany as she has gotten Drogon back or to Davos as he tries to retrieve Rickon in the manner I first encountered them, it'll be a bit sad. I miss my friends, is the thing, and if I have to see that on screen instead of reading them on pages and seeing them with my mind's eye, that's fine. I just think it's a shame that Martin's content with that, as well.
    I recommend reading the Rogue Prince before The Princess and The Queen.

Part of the problem you have is George RR Martin doesnt write like Sanderson does. Sanderson is a framework writer. He knows what happens in a book before he writes the first few pages. I saw Martin at Brown University, he says that he doesnt really write an outline and that its all in his head. He has said he doesnt even write notes. Thats why the Dance book took so long. He changed the book as he writes it. He really doesnt know what will happen. You might never find out what happened to Rickon or Podrick. Honestly, id rather read a short story about Ned, Robert, Jon Arryn and Robert's Rebellion or The war of the 9 penny kings.

My copy of Game of Thrones says that A Dance of Dragons is going to be the second book in the series. It was supposed to be a trilogy. We are waiting for what book 8?

The World of Ice and Fire was Significantly late. Dangerous Women was supposed to have another Dunk and Egg Story but Martin isnt finished with it yet. Its not like he is deliberately making you wait, he just got other stuff to do.

ALso he is doing the right thing. Martin made significantly more money because of his side projects than he would have just writing books. I mean I found him through Legends because I was reading the Raymond E. Feist books. So those short stories got him readers.

I actually found Martin very charming in person. He didnt seem like he didnt give a fuck just that he blew so many promises before (I mean Game of thrones took him 3 extra years to write). that he feels guilty because he really has no idea when he is going to be finished. He dosnt even know how long the book going to be.

Have you guys read the Alex Bledsoe's Eddie LaCrosse books?

Quote Originally Posted by American Mikey P View Post
    Where can you get the dunk and egg stories, the only ones I can ever find are like 93 bucks. Sorry I can't justify spending almost 100 bucks on a fucking short story.
    The anthologies are available in the kindle story for $8 a piece. If you are still reading paper books ...

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is going to collect them and will be available in October 2015.

the comics are out now.
    Last edited by Irishsara; 11-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Never even heard of Bledsoe before. And I don't care what happened to Rickon, lol. It was Davos I was referring to. My overall feeling for the moment, though, which may be self-deceiving and, therefore changed once Winds comes out, is that I prefer Sanderson, Abercrombie, and Erikson. I realize Martin has been influential to all three, but after moving on to other things after ASOIAF stalled, I've found I prefer the others. Partly because they are also excellent, partly because they are more reliable. I'm also considering reading some more Robin Hobb, but she's so hit and miss I haven't decided yet.

Thanks Sara, I still read physical books. There is just something about having an actual book in your hand. Ill wait till October then, I have plenty to read in the mean time.

One of the best / funniest things to learn about from the new book was The Hungry Wolf Theon Stark and how much he did as King of the North.

Oh and there possibly being Merlings all over the fucking place.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 11-12-2014 at 04:09 AM.

What I love about it is that it informs a lot of stuff from the books. The little quick references which give the story texture are now given Flesh.

For example, Brown Ben Plumm says he has a drop of dragon blood. The dragons like him and Tyrion makes some references.

Ben Plumm is the captain and commander of the Second Sons.

In World of Ice and Fire we find out that Old Ossifer Plumm married a Targaryen in 176AC. They supposedly conceived a child together on their wedding night.

Plumm's bit of Dragon blood comes from Elaena Targaryen the daughter of Aegon III, sister of Daeron I and Baelor I.

Tyrion says Ben has "two drops" of dragon blood rather than one because it is rumored the Plumm child actually came from Aegon IV.

We also find out that Aegon IV might have taken money from that dragonblooded son ( "Aegon deprived men of their rightful inheritance when he desired their wealth, as rumors claim he did following the death of Lord Plumm upon his wedding day") I also believe this son is Viserys Plumm.

There is that great line from Maynard Plumm (who I believe is actually someone else in disguise) in the Mystery Knight when Dunk says ""We'd all be bastard sons of old King Aegon if half these tales were true." and Maynard goes "And whose to say we're not?"
    Last edited by Irishsara; 11-21-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Cthulhu = The Drowned God

The dude Elio who helped with Anthology has hinted that a bunch of Reddit users are onto something about the Oily Black Stones [ Seastone Chair, Black stone fortress on Battle Isle at Oldtown, City of Yeen, Asshai-by-the-Shadow, Isle of Toads, Five Forts, ] being related to the unknown ancient race. The one thing they have in common other then their appearance is they are located near water.

So the Merlings thing could become important. Especially if they relate to The Drowned God.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 12-12-2014 at 12:37 AM.

"Circle October 6 on your calendar.

My friends at Bantam have just informed me that will be the day that A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS in released in English, collecting all three of my "Dunk & Egg" novellas -- "The Hedge Knight," "The Sworn Sword," and "The Mystery Knight" -- between one set of covers for the first time."

Ill say it. I liked the Dunk and Egg stories better than The Song of Ice and Fire. Its probably a personal preference thing tho. they would definitely make a better TV show.

Oh and I think its hilarious that Dunk and Egg (Ser Duncan the Tall and his fake squire Prince Aegon Targaryen V, the unlikely heir to the throne traveling in secret) is so similar to Duck and Egg (Ser Rolly Duckfield and Prince Aegon Targaryen VI the supposed son of Rhaegar Targaryan and unlikely heir to the throne traveling in secret)

Double Post. Do not be mad. The Wiki practically posts the whole thing anyway. Here is the excerpt from The Game of Thrones First Book of the ice and Fire trilogy when Ned Stark has a dream about the Tower of Joy. Ned Stark and six grim northern heroes sent to recover a sister stolen by a prince. Three Members of the Kingsgard fighting on the command of a dead prince who will never be king.

The White Bull, The Last Bat, The Sword of the Morning. Against Seven men.

"He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory’s father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon’s squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man’s memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of the greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, “and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.” As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. “Eddard!” she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death." - A Game of Thrones - Chapter 39 - The Tower of Joy.

I hope the scene between Ned and Lyanna breaks my heart, cuts it into little pieces, then puts it in a blender to be served in whatever Starbucks comes out with next.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Squared
    So... anyone still waiting on this, or have y'all given up?

The Brain
    It'll come out someday! But until then, I'm not holding my breath.

I think I've been through every "stage" a Thrones fan can go through. Started off watching the show because I lived and died by the books. After coming to grips with the growing amount of creative liberties they put in seasons 2 and 3 I finally let it be that the books are one medium, the show another and I could either accept it or give it up. Still, I continued to hold my breath for WoW. That is, until it became painfully obvious that even when it does drop it will likely retain very few surprises when it comes to the main character/story arcs. Now, my entire GoT fandom revolves around sobbing uncontrollably in the fetal position at the thought of no closure until 2019.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

I had a reread of the series at the start of the year hoping that the book would be done. Here we are. Another year and still no book. Its a shame to be honest. We know the series wont be finished anytime soon and the show will get to do a lot more things that we havent got in the books yet. At this point all i really want is it to come out before the last season of the show but i think thats doubtful to happen also.

The Brain
    Oh yeah, very doubtful. There are meant to be at least two more books, right? I'm just going to wait until they're all out (if they ever are), then read the whole thing in one go. Until then, I've got other stuff on my reading list.

Supposedly 2 but even that at times doesn't seem enough for him to bring everything to a close.