Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock Lesnar

Which is all very impressive.

Well, except for the fact that the whole DVD/BluRay discussion started when I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    When they put together the Brock DVD, did they cover those moments? No. They were essential to getting him over, but those aren't part of his legacy, which is what this thread is discussing.
    You can't change my argument to make yours correct.

The Cool No. 9
    For me he's just a freak, strong athlete awesome wrestler and should go down as one of the greatest WWE superstars of all time.

The Cool No. 9
    He doesn't need much more build. After Daniel Bryan satisfies Randy Orton's rematch clause, and/or Batista (I know, but he's in that spot on the card), and maybe even a main event with Bray Wyatt, go ahead and have Lesnar challenge DB and even win the title at Summerslam. I know I'm thinking far ahead but who doesn't want to see that match?

Also, hopefully now that Lesnar owns the streak, he stays around for more than being just a part time guy.

I get excited at the thought of Brock as the WWE champion. Like Rock, it's something I never thought I'd see, even after he came back.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

I have no doubt that Lesnar will be a Hall of Famer one day, but that begs the question, will he be comfortable delivering his own speech? We know that Heyman will induct him, but Lesnar speaking has never been his strong point.

CoachBrief
    Cutting a scripted promo where you have to feign emotion and speaking from the heart are two totally separate things. I have no doubt he'll do fine. Worse promo men have been inducted before and got through the moment.

CoachBrief
    So, is Brock now officially the exception to the rule when it comes to part-timers winning Championships?

I was in complete protest of The Rock winning the Championship, and any scenario that people brought up that had Taker or HHH winning the belt I dismissed immediately. But, and I can't really explain it, I'd be perfectly okay with Brock winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Not anytime soon, maybe SummerSlam or Night of Champions. Maybe even have him beat Daniel Bryan at Hell in a Cell. That would be a spectacle.

Then you know what I'd do? I'd feed Batista to Lesnar at Survivor Series.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I have no doubt that Lesnar will be a Hall of Famer one day, but that begs the question, will he be comfortable delivering his own speech? We know that Heyman will induct him, but Lesnar speaking has never been his strong point.
    How awesome would it be for someone like Kurt Angle to induct him and Paul to come out with him to give the speech!

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman and I am here this evening to thank you all on behalf of my client, BRRRROCK LLLESNAR!"

^^^That is exactly what I was picturing. Lesnar is once in a life time type of athlete, but and he is comfortable performing in front of live crowds, but talking, not so much. Look, when he returned, he was not doing a good job, so they brought back Heyman to talk for him.

So I would love for Heyman to give his speech, but it will not happen. It would be awesome, but almost a 0% chance of happening.

I think with Brock people expect better matches. The Taker match notwithstanding, Brock is fun to watch. After I saw Rock/Cena I didn't need to see him again.

Brock wouldn't have to say much for a speech. it's not like he'd talk for a half hour. That's just not him.

He managed to talk on his DVD for about half an hour, just separated into little segments between each match.

But that is a sit down interview. Not a speech in front of 10,000 people and all of your past and preset peers.

I know that he would have notes or a prewritten speech, but I do not see him giving a 40-45 minute speech as every other headliner does. And yes, he would be a headliner.

but is that really needed? I mean Warrior could have cut down his speech to 15 mins and that would be fine.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I don't care who they feed to Brock. I fully expect Brock to be at the main event of Wrestlemania next year, with the title and defending against Daniel Bryan. That's my perfect world.

Goldberg Rules!
    I'm going to face him in the main event.

No prob, T.O. Just be sure to make out your power of attorney, health care proxy, and will first. As Lesnar will beat your ass to a pulp.

True, but every headliner takes about 45.

Goldberg Rules!
    I shit my ass daily, so there's no problem.

He's not some bumbling half-wit. The issue with his promos aren't that he's some half-mad mute. He just isn't particularly interesting a talker and his voice doesn't suit his terrifying demeanor. I'm sure he'd manage just fine.

Super Moderator
    The only problem with Brock taking the belt any time before Royal Rumble is that either the belt's off TV or they've worked out more dates for the final year of Brock's contract.

Super Moderator
    He can make it through a speech. He's not an idiot or anything, but there's just this little part of me that thinks about how artistically perfect it would be for Paul Heyman, who has been speaking for him his entire career (including becoming his official/unofficial Don King-style hype man during his UFC run), spoke for him at the HoF.

It'll never happen. Brock doesn't need it. But, from a purely artistic standpoint, it works.

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrief View Post
    So, is Brock now officially the exception to the rule when it comes to part-timers winning Championships?

I was in complete protest of The Rock winning the Championship, and any scenario that people brought up that had Taker or HHH winning the belt I dismissed immediately. But, and I can't really explain it, I'd be perfectly okay with Brock winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Not anytime soon, maybe SummerSlam or Night of Champions. Maybe even have him beat Daniel Bryan at Hell in a Cell. That would be a spectacle.

Then you know what I'd do? I'd feed Batista to Lesnar at Survivor Series.
    It is obvious that the WWE is doing some long term booking here, which is great. I feel Bryan will be busy with The Authority throughout the summer. We may see Brock at SummerSlam, but considering his contract, and the fact he is an avid outdoors-men, getting him away from farming/hunting in the fall seems a bit unlikely.

I could see Lesnar winning the title at Rumble, from whomever may have it. Heck, we have seen Bryan do double duty, and everyone wanted Bryan to do it this past Rumble, so he could drop the title and win the Rumble setting up WM31. If the WWE saves Lesnar's dates for the build to WM31 and forgoes a summer feud, he would appear on TV on a more regular basis during the "Road to Wrestlemania."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    He can make it through a speech. He's not an idiot or anything, but there's just this little part of me that thinks about how artistically perfect it would be for Paul Heyman, who has been speaking for him his entire career (including becoming his official/unofficial Don King-style hype man during his UFC run), spoke for him at the HoF.

It'll never happen. Brock doesn't need it. But, from a purely artistic standpoint, it works.
    Oh Paul Heyman will induct him and Paul E. could easily speak for 45 minutes of Brock said he only wanted to talk for 15 or 20. It depends how comfortable Brock is talking about himself. I got the impression from his book that he isnt a big self reflection guy and I'm not sure he likes talking about himself.

Just the visual of Brock standing to the side while Paul Heyman waxs poetic about his career would be funny. You could even have Brock interrupt him a few times like he does now.

CoachBrief
    I just had the dumbest thought: How bizarre would it be to see Brock announce Heyman to give his induction speech. Like Angle inducting Brock, only for Brock to bring out Heyman in some weird role-reversal.

Super Moderator
    If/when Brock were to induct Heyman, that would be a classic moment.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Brock Lesnar and I am here this evening to induct my manager and friend PAAAUL HEEEYMAN into the WWE Hall of Fame."

Oh, no doubt it would be a fun speech and a cool cap on his career. I'm just talking about this notion some seem to have that he'd be a stuttering wreck.

Actually, it reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day. Brock obviously has a top tier career. In terms of pure accolades he could be argued one of the greats. However, how much does his relatively short in ring career impact that? Are WWE likely to talk about him in that top tier fashion after he's left the ring permanently? I'm talking purely pro-wrestling.
    Last edited by Mr Chop; 04-11-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Super Moderator
    I think he'll be regarded as an all-time great just based on how great he truly is, but it really seems to me more of a case of lost potential.

I see it as comparable to Warrior, actually.

His initial run, the one that was really big, was only four years (twice as long as Brock's!) but it made him a legend. Warrior might not be placed up there with the Hogans, Rocks, Flairs or Austins, but he's definitely seen as the same tier as Macho Man, Kurt Angle, Triple H etc. That's where I see Brock remembered.

There's no doubt that he's a gigantic star, attraction and draw. That's inarguable (he's one of the few million buy guys in UFC history), ending The Streak instantly cements him as a guy that'll be remembered forever. But, in the same way that something would have been a tiny bit off to have Triple H, Kurt Angle or Randy Savage included in the Hogan-Rock-Austin segment at WrestleMania, ultimately I think Brock lands in that class. He's an all-time great, a legend in his own right, but he never carried the company on his back for any real period of time ("blah, blah, blah, Smackdown outdrew Raw." "blah, blah, blah, Brock main evented WrestleMania." There, I've saved the trouble of someone else having to type that argument).

In terms of the lost potential, I only say that because his run was so short. What more could he have done in it? He won everything there was for him to win, beat everyone that there was for him to beat. But, we never got to see him against that next crop of top guys that he could have done great things with. Edge, Batista, Randy Orton, JBL and the main event "top guy" John Cena were all programs that we never got to see, but had the potential to be gold.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 04-11-2014 at 06:55 PM.

If/when Brock were to induct Heyman, that would be a classic moment.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Brock Lesnar and I am here this evening to induct my manager and friend PAAAUL HEEEYMAN into the WWE Hall of Fame."
    The only problem with this is that Irishsara's head will explode if an ECW guy doesn't induct Heyman. i.e. Tommy Dreamer

I agree, Farrell. I also think that because there was some bad blood between him and the fans for so long, a feeling that he had been handed everything and then turned his back on the business, also keeps him from ever being considered as great as Hogan, Flair, or Austin, who may have taken sabbaticals from the industry, but have always been considered pro wrestling stars first.

Lesnar also didn't get to exist at the peak of wrestling's popularity/advent of cable TV. Ric Flair's legend owes a lot to the fact that he was the top star in the south at a time when cable TV was relatively new and not super competitive. Obviously Hogan was an even greater phenomenon. Austin and The Rock took the WWE to ratings peaks that we'll never see again in this hyper niche-marketed, TV 2.0 era.

Plus, as has been said multiple times, Lesnar's weakest spot is his mic work and charisma. His catch phrases look great on a tee-shirt and he has a unique look, but he's not transcending pop culture like Austin or The Rock or Hogan or Flair or even Macho Man ("Ooooh Yea!") and Andre did with their promos and character. Even Warrior & the Road Warriors, the ridiculously muscled face-painted maniacs, became archetypes of what a pro-wrestler looked like and acted like (see any time a "pro wrestler" character appeared on a children's TV show or sitcom in the 90s).

Being in the same boat as Bret Hart, the Undertaker, Triple H, and Mick Foley isn't a bad place to be. His legacy is certainly secure and he will likely rank in longtime fan's Top 10 All Timers...but if you look holistically at his career, influence, historical significane, and longevity, he could never be number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrief View Post
    So, is Brock now officially the exception to the rule when it comes to part-timers winning Championships?.
    Well yeah, if the part timers had Paul Heyman to come out every monday to cut promos holding the title like it was a baby (and a guy you could in theory put on the road) to continue to showcase the title on TV 3 raws a month without them then yeah probably. I personally agree with TF, Lesnar wins at The Rumble or Wins The Rumble.

Goldberg Rules!
    Or hell, I know on paper this sounds incredibly stupid, but perhaps Lesnar wins the title, and Cesaro "defends" it for him when Lesnar believes a challenger is beneath him (a way to write him out when not contractually obligated).

So um like a freebirds rule? Jack Tunney would have none of that!

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I really don't wanna see a champ that isn't wrestling on TV at all (because this isn't the 80s) unless it's for a Mania run. I'm 100% for a Cesero V Brock match through...that's a main event in itself.

The Cool No. 9
    The title is defended on pay per view pretty much only.. So that doesn't change, and that is when Brock would wrestle. And he is credible enough to pull it off because of him being a heel that is that good. Heyman always says he never fights for free, and that thought has only gotten bigger now that he owns the streak. WWE would probably sell more pay per views with him on a run like that, too.

I would expect him to wrestle on at least one Raw and one Smackdown a month, of course. I don't think that asks too much, but I guess it would suck for those in attendance at house shows.
    Last edited by The Cool No. 9; 04-12-2014 at 06:41 PM.

We don't know the details of his deal but for Brock to be champion, he needs to be on every ppv as champion and at the very least every other week on Raw. Which tells me that he'll get a title run at the Rumble and no earlier if he gets it at all. The summer and fall months are the lean period in WWE but with alot of shows.

The Cool No. 9
    Good call, could speak to the forecast of how they book him.

Basically what we have here is this guy who is seen as dominant.. He beat Triple H and Undertaker at Mania. Who else can say they have done that. Edit well Brock won at Summerslam not Mania but still
    Last edited by The Cool No. 9; 04-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.

deprice659
    I really want to see Sheamus get his ass kicked by Lesnar at a PPV, throw a Christianesque hissyfit in the ring after losing, and then turn heel.

Blunt Force Balls
    Lesnar shouldn't challenge for the title at Summerslam I don't think. The payoff to ending The Undertaker's Wrestlemania, needs to happen at Wrestlemania. He should continue to build on his momentum and if he wins the title there due to the dates he works he obviously is not gonna hold it until Wrestlemania (where his next defeat should take place).

However, I do think there is money in Lesnar going into next year's WM as WWE champ, so he should probably win it at the Royal Rumble and defend against the winner with a Rock style last title run.

The guy I think he should face at Summerslam in that case is John Cena. A feud with Cena still has legs (which is there are only few out their for Cena that hasn't been done to death). I think Lesnar needs to follow up his streak victory by becoming the first man (who the announcers and WWE acknowledge) to tap out Cena.