Thread: Eddie Edwards

Eddie Edwards

The American Wolves Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards seem to be over ... I mean with the WWE not picking them up and Davey Richards one man reputation destorying mission, it seems that this tag team is done.

Davey Richards has publically burned bridges with New Japan, Noah, ROH and Evolve

He was dropped from Final Battle and he seems to have refused a booking for Dragon Gate USA/Evolve

Even Jim Cornette who is the president of the Davey Richards fanclub blasted his outside the ring attitude.

Seems not good.

Goldberg Rules!
    C+ players. Maybe good for one short US title run.

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    C+ players. Maybe good for one short US title run.
    Eddie Edwards might figure it out, hes only 30.

Reality Champ
    Eddie is decent. I always thought he had the brighter future than Davey. Davey bores me to tears, and I don't think he'd ever learn to wrestle a different style, even if his livelihood depended on it.

I have never seen an Eddie Edwards match, but I didn't hate Davey Richards from ROH when I watched until 2009. Maybe not WWE material to do much, but when I heard of this team, I thought of the Pitbulls team Smackdown had in 2005 or so with Kid Kash and Jamie Noble. I have no doubt WWE has enough talent in developmental to pull off something like that, and not need to hire these 2 to do it. Maybe they do it better, but no matter how good these guys are, or how much Richards improved, I get a sense that even the most die hard indy wrestling fan figured these guys weren't really WWE material.

But, let's say the HHH rumors are true, then if these guys really want it, they shouldn't give up now. Contact the performance center twice a year, and force WWE's hand. No matter how they feel about developing all their own talent, tenacity would most likely pay off.

I think them getting turned down had less to do with "you're too small" and more to do with "we already have a lot of guys like you two, we don't want to add to it". Sami Zayn, Adrian Neville, Bo Dallas, Ryan Drago/something Gotch, Scott Dawson, Tyler Breeze, CJ Parker, Rick Victor, Solomon Crowe, KALISTO, Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel...not to mention Punk and Bryan and Ziggler, smaller guys who can either go in the ring or add something different to the table. The WWE does not have a dearth when it comes to those types of wrestlers, and I think they just didn't want to add to it.

Which I think is understandable. It sucks for those two, but the WWE is full-up on guys at the moment and don't really need to sign even more similar guys. They might have gotten a contract had several cuts occurred, but nothing really major has happened to the point of needing to refill with talent. I think it was just a bad time for them, really. Maybe they'll get a break and a contract another time.

Sucks for Eddie, I think he could maybe be something, but I couldn't care less about Davey, so I'm at least okay with him not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    I have never seen an Eddie Edwards match, but I didn't hate Davey Richards from ROH when I watched until 2009. Maybe not WWE material to do much
    http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/74087/

Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards vs. Daniel Bryan And Seth Rollins from ROH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27obvMjcYfs
    KENTA vs Eddie Edwards

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I think them getting turned down had less to do with "you're too small" and more to do with "we already have a lot of guys like you two, we don't want to add to it". Sami Zayn, Adrian Neville, Bo Dallas, Ryan Drago/something Gotch, Scott Dawson, Tyler Breeze, CJ Parker, Rick Victor, Solomon Crowe, KALISTO, Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel...not to mention Punk and Bryan and Ziggler, smaller guys who can either go in the ring or add something different to the table. The WWE does not have a dearth when it comes to those types of wrestlers, and I think they just didn't want to add to it.
    Bingo. Eventually, no matter how good they are, the "small wrestler that can really go" stops being special and cool if everybody is one. At this point, guys like that need something to set them apart in WWE. Punk has his attitude, Bryan has an undying love from the fans, Breeze has a gimmick and Kalisto has a mask.

Kidd might be the best wrestler on the roster, but if he doesn't have anything to set him apart, there is literally no reason to push him above anybody else when you can use him to have excellent matches with the guys you do want to push.

I'm one of the few fans of Davey Richards, but he was never going to make it in WWE, in my opinion, even if there wasn't a surplus of smaller guys that can go. His style just calls to mind, too much, that of Chris Benoit. Someone somewhere would pick up on that, signs would start cropping up mentioning him as the new cripper, or Benoit 2.0 or something, and that would have doomed him. Of course, I could be wrong given that one of Daniel Bryan's signature moves and one of his finishers are both basically from Benoit's repertoire, as well.

Goldberg Rules!
    Chris what?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    I'm one of the few fans of Davey Richards, but he was never going to make it in WWE, in my opinion, even if there wasn't a surplus of smaller guys that can go. His style just calls to mind, too much, that of Chris Benoit. Someone somewhere would pick up on that, signs would start cropping up mentioning him as the new cripper, or Benoit 2.0 or something, and that would have doomed him. Of course, I could be wrong given that one of Daniel Bryan's signature moves and one of his finishers are both basically from Benoit's repertoire, as well.
    I find Bryan really similar to Benoit. Instead of chops and those running pushes, he has kicks.

He's a more 2013-friendly version of Chris Benoit and, probably, what Benoit would have had to become 13 years ago to really connect in the way Bryan has.

Davey Richards vs Sammy Zayn (El Genericho)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGuT7bo1MCo
    Last edited by Irishsara; 01-03-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Reality Champ
    Not every uncharismatic wrestler is Chris Benoit. I hate that people just take a technically sound wrestler (and I'd argue that Davey Richards isn't all that technically sound) and try to apply the Benoit label to him. Benoit also had timing, knew ring psychology, and knew how to do the moves to the maximum effect. Davey Richards has never done that, that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Not every uncharismatic wrestler is Chris Benoit. I hate that people just take a technically sound wrestler (and I'd argue that Davey Richards isn't all that technically sound) and try to apply the Benoit label to him. Benoit also had timing, knew ring psychology, and knew how to do the moves to the maximum effect. Davey Richards has never done that, that I've seen.
    Early in his career, Daniel Bryan made mention of modeling his wrestling style off of the work of Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit.

When Benoit was asked who was the best technical wrestler working today, Do you know the 3 wrestlers he mentioned? "Dave Finlay – hands down. William Regal is a pretty close second, and I've a lot of time for Bryan Danielson."

Daniel Bryan wears maroon and uses a crossface finisher and a diving headbutt . He is a clear member of the "technical wrestler archetype" which benoit was clearly a member of .

Davey Richards is also a member of the "technical wrestler archetype" who is both undersized and uncharismatic. He has the same benoit problems of lack of selling and being weak on the mic.

The difference is Davey is a dick in real life and Benoit killed people.

Fuck em. Edwards is decent but he needs to find a way to be more charismatic. Its a shame because everything I see of him outside the ring shows he is a funny guy with a good sense of humor.

Let Davey go no sell with some of the bodies he deals with as an EMT. The quicker he is out of wrestling the better for everyone. Dude is a cancer.

The Good End Of Long Island...Brooklyn, NY
    Richards has always been overrated. Sucks for Eddie Edwards, but I can't stand Richards. Him always no selling stuff that should put down someone. It was said best elsewhere after a gif of that Superplex into a suplex over the top rope spot they did went online.

Dick Murdoch would never no sell a superplex. And that right there is the problem with Davey Richards.

Reality Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Early in his career, Daniel Bryan made mention of modeling his wrestling style off of the work of Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit.
    I can say I model my baseball swing after Hank Aaron. That doesn't make me anything like one of the greatest home run hitters of all time. I'm not black, for one.

You can't just lump every "technical" wrestler under one umbrella. I mean, I guess you can, but that's foolish. Might as well lump every hispanic wrestler under the same umbrella. Well, I guess WWE does that, so bad example. But you get my point. Not every guy who aspires to be Benoit gets anything near what he was. And Davey Richards, as much as he'd love to be Chris Benoit (well, at least Benoit of 2004), is not Chris Benoit.

Nor did I say he was, but he's got the same body style, used to wear the same type of long tights, carries himself with intensity the way Benoit did, and uses some similar moves--namely the diving headbutt and Sharpshooter. It's not unreasonable that the casual fan would see Richards and think Benoit, so don't act like it's insane.

Reality Champ
    Oh, I'm not acting like it's insane. It just seems like many people have started taking any undersized technical wrestlers and immediately saying "Oh, he's the next Benoit" or Benoit-lite, or whatever the label may be, which is slightly absurd. R Truth isn't the new Booker T even though he's black, athletic, and does a version of the axe kick. And though you're right, that casual fans would try to make the comparison, let's not pretend anyone on these boards would be considered a casual fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Oh, I'm not acting like it's insane. It just seems like many people have started taking any undersized technical wrestlers and immediately saying "Oh, he's the next Benoit" or Benoit-lite, or whatever the label may be, which is slightly absurd. R Truth isn't the new Booker T even though he's black, athletic, and does a version of the axe kick. And though you're right, that casual fans would try to make the comparison, let's not pretend anyone on these boards would be considered a casual fan.

Why isnt R-Truth the next Booker T? I mean other than the fact that Booker was a famous tag wrestler and Ron Killings was more famous as a singles wrestler.

But if someone compared Booker T and Ron Killings i wouldnt disagree. Underused black wrestler that uses an Axe Kick, a slightly racist music component, He is a solid seller and he was more successful outside the WWE.

I dont disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Why isnt R-Truth the next Booker T? I mean other than the fact that Booker was a famous tag wrestler and Ron Killings was more famous as a singles wrestler.

But if someone compared Booker T and Ron Killings i wouldnt disagree. Underused black wrestler that uses an Axe Kick, a slightly racist music component, He is a solid seller and he was more successful outside the WWE.

I dont disagree with it.
    Yes, but you area cointrarian. Purposely.

Only sometimes.

Id argue that R-Truth's WWE Character and Booker T's WWE Character before King Booker possess a lot of similarities.

Oliver
    It's curious that these two probably had the most competitive match any team has had with The Ascension on their debut in NXT, and yet they're (reportedly, I've not seen anything that actually confirms they're not coming back unless I've missed something over Christmas?) not going to stick around for any more. There have been actual contracted wrestlers in NXT that haven't got a single move in against Konnor and Viktor, so why they gave them such a competitive defeat I don't know.

I really have to find a better keyboard app for my tablet...

Oliver, I think it's because a competitive match was the best way to give these guys a try out. Giving the Ascension a squash wouldn't really let Richards and Edwards show off anything. On NXT, it's much more harmless to give a brand new team a competitive match with the champs.

Super Moderator
    I don't care if they get signed either way. I'm not a fan enough to really want to see it, but I like to see guys succeed, so I'm not about to root against them. But it's time to stop waffling on them and stringing them along.

If you want them, sign them. If you just don't want them in TNA, fucking sign them. If you think that they're good enough that going to TNA is going to have any measurable impact, then clearly they're good enough to work for at least NXT...so sign them. If you think they're too small, too spotty, not "WWE material" then let them move on.

Part of me hopes that they're not back at this set of tapings because at least that means that the issue is done and the guys can move on and try again later.

On a side note, didn't Davey talk about retirement last year or the year before since he didn't think his odds of getting to the WWE were very good and he's accomplished his goals? Maybe I'm way off base and thinking about someone else.

I think Davey's been talking about retirement for at least three years, TF, so it probably is him you're thinking of.

Squared
    So, I am not saying Davey is definitely done, but he's taken fewer dates to concentrate on other things and is said to be having an extended block of time away from wrestling entirely. So I figure this can be the Eddie Edwards thread and Davey can have one of his own if he ever needs one.

Thoughts on Edwards since the end of the team, or as a top title contender for Impact?

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Last I heard Eddie was possibly not long for Impact, as his guaranteed contract is running out soon and he doesn't sound interested in signing one of the new contracts that's being offered, which is a pay-per-day thing with some other caveats. Not sure where he goes if he heads out. Not sure ROH would want or benefit from him that much, and I don't think he has enough of a foothold in Japan. Maybe just bounce around for awhile until something presents himself? He's really not the most exciting guy in my mind and his hype was at it's highest a few years back, but you never know.

read a rumor Eddie would be NXT bound. I'd be fine with that if they didn't already have a bunch of his type already.. meaning good workers but not exactly promo men..

But Eddie >>>>>>> Davey

The Brain
    I'd agree I prefer Eddie a bit over Davey. Funny that WWE would want him now, he was hotter a few years ago but they turned down both Wolves after a tryout.

Seriously though, even with a somewhat depleted roster I don't see anyway he stands out in NXT. Then again I find him more entertaining than Drew and they made him champion on what felt like his first day, so what do I know?

Squared
    I put a lot of that down to Drew's look, because I am damned if I see what else he has got to warrant it.

Eddie and Davey is a weird one, because a quick look at the two of them makes you think it should be Davey that is the real talent but it just never works out that way. Pretty much everyone, myself included, picked Eddie.

@lopprimetime

You don't have to be a fan of someone to see why Drew would be more um thought of than someone like Eddie Edwards. Drew is a big, handsome guy and also scottish which not many wrestlers can claim to be all that.. Eddie is what 5'10 200 lbs, he's basically another Roddy Strong to me. He does everything solid in the ring but if you want charisma you'll have to look elsewhere.

Davey has more tools i think than Eddie but he's a whiner and complainer, burns every bridge he can and don't think he's ever improved. I watch Eddie and see a guy who keeps putting in the effort

Squared
    I guess Impact will be bringing him back in now he's lost the GHC title?

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Did he even leave, exactly? I always felt the GHC run was a bit transitional, and it's not like Edwards moved to Japan. I believe his contract is still coming up soon, so the point may be moot.

Squared
    No, didn't leave - misleading phrasing, sorry. He just was off TV for a while to go and work a few dates. Not actually a bad idea, WCW used to do it all the time and when people came back you were always pretty stoked to see them. Stops you getting burned out on people.

@lopprimetime