Thread: Kingzak13 presents the PPV-star of the year part deux

Head of Royal Court Inc kingzak13's Avatar

Kingzak13 presents the PPV-star of the year part deux

After what can only be describe as a disappointing Christmas we get part two of the PPV-star of the year. This time it’s not personal. Chances are we are going to see a lot of the lower card workers and this may end up a who’s who of names that may end up released in the next year. Well enough talk time to move onto #53

Summer Rae

Matches
    (Hell in a Cell) With Fandango vs. Great Khali and Natalya: 1 star
    (Survivor Series) Divas Survivor Series elimination tag match: 2 stars
    Average rating = 1.5 stars

So we go from one of the most influential and important stars of all time to a woman who’s most famous for ballroom dancing. Summer has had two matches this year, one with her partner Fandango in a fairly poor match, it is probably easiest to blame Khali for that. And the total divas vs. every other diva, in a rather poor performance but she luckily gets the same stat as everyone else from that match. So this leaves here at 53, ahead of so many other superstars because she had two matches. In a perfect world she would be much closer to the bottom, but with every list there are flaws and this is one of them. Let’s move on.

Naomi

Matches
    (Night of Champions) vs. AJ Lee, Natalya and Brie Bella Divas Championship: 1.5 stars
    Average rating = 1.75 stars

14 places later we come across the other half of the Funkadactyls. The only reason she is any higher than here team mate is because of the divas fatal 4 way at Night of Champions. While it is not a highly rated encounter it was still a whole half star better than Summer’s other match pushing her one spot ahead of her. Not much else to say on that topic.

Santino Marella

Matches
    The Royal Rumble: (no eliminations and minimal time in the match) 2 stars
    With Great Khali vs. the Real Americans: 1.5 stars

Hey it’s a me, Santino. The man once known as the Milan Miracle makes his place just outside of the top 50. Santino managed two matches on PPV this year, compared to last year when he was all over them for the first half of the year. I blame him constantly taking hiatus’. If he had managed to stick around for longer than a month he might have been able to get another PPV. I don’t even remember seeing news that he was injured or on a break over the year, I think he is reaching the end of his career. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me.

Tamina Snuka

Matches
    (Elimination Chamber) vs. Kaitlyn Divas Championship: 1.5 stars

I am not quite sure what to put here. Tamina’s never been around for a long enough period for me to become a fan, and now that she is she is just there to be pinned so AJ doesn’t lose credibility. Anyway Tamina managed the 1.75 average rating; however she gets ahead of Santino and Naomi because one of those was a one on one title match, which is better than a cluster match or a pointless tag match, thus allowing Tamina to just about get into the top 50.

The Great Khali

Matches
    (Battleground) With Santino Marella vs. the Real Americans: 1.5 stars
    (Hell in a Cell) With Natalya vs. Fandango and Summer Rae: 1 star

This Christmas I hope Khali got Antonio Cesaro something nice, because realistically the only reason their match at battleground got an to 1.5 stars was the impressive visual of the Cesaro swing on Khali. Had he not got that then he would have probably ended up under Summer Rae, a place many men would love to be. With that thought in mind I withdraw my earlier comment.

Anyway Khali had three Pay-Per-View matches this year. Three matches is enough to put him ahead of the others who also competed in 2 matches while one of them is a multi-person match, despite the fact that in all of them it was just a last minute addition that could have done with any other superstar being added in that spot. I guess that I where he is in his career right now, a former world champion, now an afterthought, such a shame. By the way has the debate about which font should be used for sarcasm been settled yet or not.

R-Truth

Matches
    (Battleground) vs. Curtis Axel Intercontinental Championship: 2 stars
    (TLC) vs. Brodus Clay: 1.5 stars

Now we are onto our first entrant on today’s list to have not been in a multiman match. A lot of you may find yourself thinking he has done more than two PPV matches this year but he hasn’t. At year beginning he was out with an injury he sustained at TLC against Antonio Cesaro (there’s your explanation as to why he’s been de-pushed) so he missed being a filler spot in the Rumble or Elimination Chamber. And over the next few months he spent his time as filler talent.

That was of course until someone had to feud with Curtis Axel for the IC title and Truth clearly drew the long straw backstage (that is how filler PPV feuds are decided if you were wondering). And then he had a feud with Brodus Clay that may very well still be on-going. If I may go a little off topic here, but I am going to predict at least three PPV matches for R-Truth in 2014.

Tensai

Matches
    (Elimination Chamber) With Brodus Clay vs. The Rhodes Scholars: 1.5 stars
    (Night of Champions) with Brodus Clay vs. The Prime Time Players, The Usos, 3MB and The Real Americans: 2 stars
    Average rating = 1.83 stars

I find myself wondering whether I should have put “Sweet T” as the name here because he has spent most of the year as that, but Tensai is more recognisable, I hate dilemmas like this. Anyway the man once known as Albert had three PPV matches over the year (would have been 4 if The Rock wasn’t such a time hog). And despite him having a higher average than some of the people coming up, he spent most of the time in big multi person matches, which hurts his ranking a bit. However with two 2 star matches he has enough to get himself to #47

You know what, I am going to split this one into two parts. The rest of the superstars up to #40 will be here. It may be tomorrow, it may be the day after, but I assure you it shall be before New Year’s (It helps if you read this in your inspiring war speech voice)

See you next half
    Me and Danno did some collab WrestleMania predictions

Check it out

Canadian Idiot
    Hey man, I just have to ask this. Are you just writing this series on the go? Because I have that impression based on this list you posted. It was a step down from the previous column. You had a lot more to say in the last column and yet this one had less meat and the ending with you telling us that you were splitting this into two-parts wasn't cool. This one seemed kinda rushed and I got through it so fast. With your style of writing, maybe you should add the next 15 wrestlers. I believe that will be your saving grace. I am trying so hard to not blast you, but I am hoping you take my feedback to heart and act on it, because my next comment probably won't be as nice.

Head of Royal Court Inc kingzak13's Avatar
    @Mokar

Yes this series is being wrote as I go. When I have enough for a column I post those then continue my work on them. I do have the list finished, but on writing it they sometime switch around.
    I did get the feeling that there was a bit less on this one, however I felt it would suffice (apparently I was wrong)

As promised its been a day so here is the second half. Enjoy.

Natalya

Matches
    (SummerSlam) vs. Brie Bella 1 stars
    (Night of Champions) vs. AJ Lee, Naomi and Brie Bella Divas Championship: 1.5 stars
    (Hell in a Cell) With Great Khali vs. Fandango and Summer Rae: 1 star
    (TLC) vs. AJ Lee Divas Championship: 2 stars

I remember reading someone saying that Natalya was overrated in a column a few days before Christmas. I don’t remember who it was, however I would like to see their opinion on her placement for this list. I see why they would think that based on these numbers, 5 matches and only a 1.5 average rating, but these numbers are more than enough to give her a solid place over the last two. I would call it a good sign that all of her better matches took place with AJ Lee, which may be a good sign for the division. But this should be about Natalya. Wait I think I said everything I need to say. I am going to move on.

Brodus Clay

Matches
    (Elimination Chamber) With Tensai vs. The Rhodes Scholars: 1.5 stars
    (Night of Champions) with Tensai vs. The Prime Time Players, The Usos, 3MB and The Real Americans: 2 stars
    (TLC) vs. R-Truth: 1.5 stars

It looks like we have finally reached our first “main event playa” Brodus reaches the number 45 spot thanks to his last minute encounter with R-Truth increasing his number of matches to a point where he comes ahead of a few people. I had him originally at number 44 but I moved him back a spot when I took into consideration his amount of multi person matches. With his recent split from the rest of the “funkateers” I can only assume we will see more of him in singles matches (I say this and it is most likely he is only going to be in the Rumble)

Bray Wyatt

Matches
    (SummerSlam) vs. Kane Ring of Fire match: 1.5 stars
    (Battleground) vs. Kofi Kingston: 1.5 stars
    (TLC) With Luke Harper and Erick Rowan vs. Daniel Bryan: 2.5 stars
    Average rating: 1.83 stars

I find myself wondering how much higher Bray would be if he had been in the tag match at Survivor Series against Punk and Bryan. I think he may have been able to crack the top 40, or would have dragged the rating down and had the rest of his team behind him. Bray may be one of the few lucky people who got moved up the list on a technicality, not much but still. Anyway I think he could have been higher had either the somewhat disappointing debut against Kane or the last minute match against Kofi not happened. If he didn’t do one of those he would have a 2 star average. Either way it looks like it is true when they say “Daniel Bryan can get a good match out of anyone”

Drew McIntyre

Matches
    (Night of Champions) with Heath Slater vs. The Prime Time Players, The Usos, Tons of Funk and The Real Americans: 2 stars
    Average rating = 2 stars

Two multi man matches leaves Drew with an average of 2 stars. I guess that is one slight flaw to this list. But at least Drew did better than Jinder did. I always hear people saying they want Drew to break away from 3MB but I personally enjoy the group, I guess it is just one of those times when people take things to seriously. Anyway now that we have the drummer and bassist for 3MB all we need now is the lead guitar/vocals. Where could he have ended up?

Brie Bella

Matches
    (SummerSlam) vs. Natalya: 1 star
    (Night of Champions) vs. AJ Lee, Naomi and Natalya Divas Championship: 1.5 stars
    (Battleground) vs. AJ Lee Divas Championship: 2 stars
    (Hell in a Cell) vs. AJ Lee Divas Championship: 2 stars
    Average Rating = 1.7 stars

Not here. This spot belongs to the other half of the Bellas. Say what you want about the Brie, but she knows how to give a below average match (assuming 2.5 stars is the average. It is for me not sure about everyone else). Despite a disappointing start of the year, both in real terms and Pay-Per-View matches, she had some decent matches at the end giving her a total rating of 1.7 stars, and with more matches than her predecessors, she has the edge here.

The Rock

Matches
    (Royal Rumble) vs. CM Punk WWE Championship: 2.5 stars
    (Elimination Chamber) vs. CM Punk WWE Championship: 2 stars
    (WrestleMania) vs. John Cena WWE Championship: 1.5 stars
    Average Rating = 2 stars

I honestly think I may have been too generous with these ratings. Dwayne had an absolutely shit year, had I done this last year he would have been back in the honorary mention section (e.g. the last part) able to hold his head high with a decent match with Cena. But this year he wasted all our times managing one decent match out of three and then failing to keep the quality up. If you think any of these matches have been overrated feel free to tell me and I will take it into consideration and move him down the rankings accordingly. No this does not have anything to do with my hate for The Rock; I am offended that you would ask.

Heath Slater

The Royal Rumble: (Group Eliminated Brodus Clay and lasted 15 minutes) 2.5 stars
    (Night of Champions) with Drew McIntyre vs. The Prime Time Players, The Usos, Tons of Funk and The Real Americans: 2 stars
    Average Rating: 2.25 stars

Here he is. That is all of 3MB on the list now, and I wouldn’t call it a surprise that Heath is the best. However I have no idea how Heath survived that long in the Rumble, seriously what the hell happened, who fucked up backstage and gave him the 15 minute run. But then again that is the thing that has got him this high in the rankings. So instead of tearing down the poor bastard, let’s celebrate dumb luck instead.

Well it feels like this is a good point to stop. And I am drawing a blank for this outro, fuck me. Leave your opinions below; did you like the split column idea? Is anyone here under ranked or over ranked? Is there a possible third question to be asked?

I hope to see you again next time as we progress ever closer to finding out who will win the title of “PPV star of the year”.
    Me and Danno did some collab WrestleMania predictions

Check it out

Canadian Idiot
    Judging by the lack of comments, it may appear to be a dud. I am a sucker for list columns, so I will continue to comment. This was about the same length as was the first bit you posted. I still feel you would have benefited more for posting more on the countdown. Mayhaps it's the greed, that wants to see double the amount. 14 is better then 7, especially when a series is not getting the hits or comments it may or may not deserve. I hope you end up finishing the countdown because I am curious as to who you have in the top ten.

I do like how you are trying to go daily and post more, instead of the 3-day bullshit. So let's see more of the countdown, now that you won't be double posting.

Mokar- I just wanted to say your feedback lately has me definitely feeling like I perceived you incorrectly, and I want to apologize for harsh comments I made on the DBC thread. You definitely care a lot about this place, and that's admirable. Initially, I jumped to defend Zak mostly out a sense of brotherhood between columnists, and I definitely think I let my emotions guide my words too blindly. I just wanted you to know I am sorry for that, and seeing your passion for the CF and LOP has my total respect man.

Zak- At first I didn't know you were splitting this into dailies, and I thought this column was way too short. I think the dailies idea is a very good one. Not all the time, but for something like this it works. So far, I've enjoyed this, and I hope you see it through, as like Mokar, I am genuinely interested in who you have ranked where, and why. I am surprised at the lack of feedback here, as in my opinion this is your best work (as a whole concept) that I have seen. It is genuinely interesting, you are blending personality much better, and your grammar has improved (although still some errors here for sure. It's a never ending battle that I know all to well). You are making your biggest strides to date Zak, keep it up! Looking forward to the rest.

It isn't so much about the length of these columns, because they are fairly digestible at over a 1,000 words each and I feel they don't really need to be long winded but, you need to make the rankings more concrete. As readers want to read more from you, you should certainly look to provide more meat to the columns, as has been demanded. Keep it brief but, speak about the quality of the match ups, future prospects for the wrestlers etc. so that the readers have something to sink their teeth into. This doesn't really prompt me to reply as you are only frisking over these wrestlers with generalized comments. The match ratings are also something worth discussing about so, try to explain them more. Like I felt, you were particularly harsh on the Rock vs. Punk matches. They weren't all that great but, certainly above average outings. Your hatred towards Rock is well documented but, perhaps a more analytical approach, while not losing your personality, mind you, would give this Series an adrenaline shot.

Don't think I'm downgrading these columns, these are certainly fun but, a lot can be improved, too. I'm certainly looking forward to the rest of the rankings, so here's hoping that you can tweak the formula a little bit.
    WrestleMania xXx was a memorable event for many reasons. Want to know what I would remember it for? Here's a column:

Sub'isms: Dual Anniversary Column - WrestleMania XXX - Then and Now...