Thread: February 2018 Columnist of the Month - KLECKAMANIA JOINS THE 5-TIMERS CLUB!

February 2018 Columnist of the Month - KLECKAMANIA JOINS THE 5-TIMERS CLUB!

Hey there, folks. March is officially upon us and, well, that means it's time for another CotM. I'd usually wait a couple days to get this rolling, but with the CSI Final this weekend I thought there may be a bit more traffic rolling through over the next few days and I wanted to take advantage of that and get as many folks voting as possible.

We had ourselves one hell of a month in February. Between the previously mentioned CSI really getting started with gusto and the usual excellence put forth here in CF Prime, there was a funky buttload of good stuff to choose from. In other words, this one could be pretty tough to call.

To that end, to hell with beating around the bush. Let's get into this thing. Before we do, though, a quick refresher on the rules.

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). The candidate you vote for must have posted at least one column in the month of February 2018.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.

a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.

b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If it's still tied after that, the moderator in charge of the contest will determine a winner via a coin toss, with the rights to call the flip determined by which contender garnered the chronological first vote in the original competition. If said moderator in charge of the contest is involved in the tie, the coin flip will be executed by a moderator not directly involved with the contest. That's awfully wordy but actually pretty straightforward. Feel free to ask if you're fuzzy on any of the details.

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well. Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month for February. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

Speaking of, here's the list of eligible columnists and their respective columns. Big thanks to the once again eligible to win TripleR for compiling said list. If you find something that was left out just let me know and I'll get it sorted.

205 Clive
    205 Clive - Rollins & Jordan: When Opposites Attract and Worlds Collide
    205 Clive - The Raw Gauntlet - A Stories Masterpiece
    205 Clive - The Resurrection of 205 Live

anonymous
    Inside the Mind 213: A bit of a dick move

Beamabrian
    The Deadly Armbar - 2/1/18
    The Deadly Armbar - 2/10/18 - It's a BIRD! It's a PLANE! It's a DEADLY ARMBAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Benjamin Button
    Wrestle-Mainia in an alternate WWE Universe: Benjamin Button's Fame
    When they die...

Dannokaboom
    CSI Group C Round 2 - Rating the 1992 Royal Rumble Using the Shithouse Scale
    CSI Group C Round 3 – Funch

Dynamite Billington
    Bull From A Bulldog: The Part Time Problem
    Bull From A Bulldog: The Part Time Solution
    Bull from a Bulldog: Audience Moments

Eldandy
    Sittin’ Pretty with eldandy: H-A-Double-L-O-Double-F-A-M-E
    [CSI Group B Round 2] 101 WWE Matches To See If You Feel Like It # 18
    [CSI Group B Round 3] Sittin' Pretty with eldandy – I’m a fool; aloof am I

Johnny Boomerang
    CSI Group A Round 3: The Boomerang Prophecies LX: Fragility

Kingzak13
    Kingzak presents: Elimination Chamber 2018 Predictions

Kleckamania
    Time In A Bottle
    How Deep Is Your Love?
    Layers Of Love (Series)
    Part Hart, Part Business: Why Daniel Bryan Should Never Wrestle Again

Laith
    Laith presents The Wrestling Vision II: Booking Dolph Ziggler
    Laith presents The Wrestling Vision III: Elimination Chamber 2018 Predictions

Mavsman
    [CSI Group C Round 2]: Don't Try This at Home
    [CSI Group C Round 3] A Thorough Examination of Wrestler Names as Seen Through The Lens of Wrestlers’ Names from The Wrestler (named 2008’s #4 film by Richard Roeper)
    [CSI Semi-Final] Nothing But Net - Bilˇdungsˇroˇman

Mazza
    [CSI Group A Round 2] The CPR Presents: The Ultimate Canadian PPV
    [CSI Group A Round 3] WTF Maz? That's Going Too Far!
    [CSI Semi-Final] MazWithAPlan: The Ultimate WWE Matches You Won't See Before You Die (w/’Plan)

Mizfan
    [CSI Group A Round 2] Blitzschlag und der Heilige: Traumkampf
    [CSI Group A Round 3] The Bright Side: Master of 1,001 Holds

Oliver
    Oliver's Twist: The New Beginning
    Bearly Reviewing III (ongoing)

Prime Time
    Prime Time on Wrestling - Grappling with Reality

Rayhagan1
    RAY IS WAR: Roman Wasn't Built in a Day (How To Build A Modern Babyface in WWE)
    RAY IS WAR: Kind of a Big Deal (How The Gauntlet Match Changed Elimination Chamber)

Sheepster
    [CSI Group B Round 2] 101 WCW Matches To See Before You Die ~ #14 Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels

Shinobi
    [CSI Group C - Round 2] The Devil's Advocate - Prism

Skulduggery
    Half Luck, Half Skul: March Madness - The Greatest WrestleMania Match (R1) (w/6 others)
    Half Luck, Half Skul: March Madness - The Greatest WrestleMania Match (R1) P2 (w/6 others)

Spinmaster
    [CSI Group C Round 2] DJ Goes to the Rumble: A Wish Fulfilling Journey Through a Magical World

Steve
    All About the Game: Assholes
    [CSI Group D Round 2] Brotherhood
    [CSI Group D Round 3] Painless
    [CSI Semi-Finals] Valentines Day, Infidelity, Depression and a Busted Jack: My Glorified Text Message CSI Column

TheLaw
    My World: Teufel Hunden

TripleR
    Chair Shots Presents: DOA 2018-Reboot (A Preview)
    Chair Shots Presents: The 2018 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic

TypeItInMaan
    Type Vs. Cena- Rap Battle
    Type's Hot takes: No More Flapjacks, Thoughts on Rousey/Heyman, Cena, Mixed Match Challenge, and MORE
    Type's Take- Cena's 17th title reign: A shot in the arm or through the arm?
    Type's "What If" Series: What if the early 90's had monthly PPVs? (Part 1: Booking Jan-Jun 1990)
    WWE is like a cheating girlfriend and Braun deserves better.

Von Wrestler
    Whatever Happened to Frogman LeBlanc?
    Dream Booking for Smackdown Around Sept. 2018 (A Short Read)
    Five Moves of Doom
    I Love Ice Cream

Zzzorf
    Wayne's World: The Deadman, The Champ and My Future

Lots of good stuff there, to say the very least. Double thanks to TripleR for putting the list together.

Please note that, as mentioned in the rules, main page writers cannot be voted for in either Column or Columnist of the Month. That means no votes for 'Plan, Maverick, SirSam or The Doc. Columnist for obvious reasons, Column because they can (and often do) post their columns both here and on the main page and this is a CF competition. It's not intended as a slight, just based upon, you know, logic. All ineligible columns have been edited out of this list, so as a rule of thumb, if it ain't listed in this thread, don't vote for it.

Rock the vote.

Voting ends on Thursday, March 8th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

Columnist is tough this month. We have had guys like Steve, Elandy, Mavsman and Mazza kicking ass in the CSI but in the normal CF Kleckamania has been laying down a whole lot of excellence and TypeItInMaan has continued his consistent production of solid discussion provoking columns. In the end I'm going to go with Kleckamania for his CF stuff but just barely in front of Steve and elandy.

Column is a whole lot easoer Brotherhood by Steve, I love me some Dean Ambrose and he nailed the tone and voice of Dean in his piece. I've gone back a few times and it has got better each time as I've found new little nuances in it. If a piece of written work has reread value you know it is good.

P.S. I just edited it to make the votes bold.
    Last edited by SirSam; 03-02-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Columnist: Mavsman
    Column: The CPR Presents: The Ultimate Canadian PPV by Mazza

Column: Kleck's Layers of Love
    Columnist: Von Wrestler

Also, without wanting to piss him (or anyone else) off, doesn't Zak's Top Trumps column get excluded because of Rule 9? Or is that strictly only the 'official' columns about columns? It was a great idea & a fun read, but rules are rules...

Columnist: Mavsman
    Column: Nothing But Net - Bilˇdungsˇroˇman

Column - TypeItInMan - WWE Is Like A Cheating Girlfriend and Braun Deserves Better

Columnist - Oliver - really like the NJPW stories he orovides, and the Bearly Reviewing stuff makes me giggle like a child.

I'll go with a dark horse for COTM..205 Clive. I think he's picking up momentum for his first one.

Column: kingzak's trump cards...so innovative

Mr 173
    I didn't even realise that I had qualified this month I've been so out of it. This is easy for me, my vote was locked in on Feb 1.

Kleckamania is my pick for Columnist of the month. His Layers of Love series is the best thing I read all month long. I was actually mad at him for ending it. Lol

For the column vote, King Zak steals this one early for Top Trumps, but thats only because I win something in it lol.
    Last edited by TheLAW; 03-02-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Columnist of the Month- eldandy
    Column of the Month- Brotherhood by Steve

The Brain
    Incredibly tough vote this month. Gave strong consideration to Von, Dandy, Type, and Steve, among others, but I think I've got to go with the returning Kleckamania, who has been dearly missed around these parts and came back swinging for the fences. Amazingly strong month though, great stuff.

Column was a bit easier, though not for lack of competition. Nothing affected me as deeply as Benny's Fame column. If you haven't checked that out, you absolutely must.

Columnist Kleck for me, though I was really torn between he and Type.

For column it's a no brainer to me [CSI Semi-Finals] Valentines Day, Infidelity, Depression and a Busted Jack: My Glorified Text Message is one of my favorite columns I've ever read in these forums and it might be my favorite. This was absolute artistry in my mind.
    Read my latest. That's not a request.

THAT'S AN ORDER, MAGGOT!!!!

Kleckamania, i have always been a fan and i think he hit top strides this time.

Benjamin for "When they die". Just heartfelt, intense stuff.
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

For columnist, I'm going to go with Kleck for layers of love as he did a timely series with a lot of good pieces in there.
    For you individual column going to go with TypeitinMan's WWE is like a cheating girlfriend do type that in man.

Tough choice. I've been torn between Type and Steve, though I have to give the nod to TypeItInMaan for columnist by a hair, and that hair was "What If The 90s Had Monthly PPVs", which was beautifully creative, and executed almost perfectly. HM also to Mavsman.

Column of the month was a toss up between Type's previously mentioned column, or "When They Die..." by Benjamin Button. I have to give the nod to "When They Die...", as Mr. Button and I seemed to be on similar wavelengths this month, so I felt that column quite a bit. HM again to Steve, whose V-Day column was great.

Fun month. Very cool to see the CF bursting with writers atm!

Did anyone ever declare an official winner here?

I was just about to vote! Type gets my nod for columnist, while Steve's Painless deservedly gets Column of the month accolades.

I don't know if my Top Trumps is allowed, best vote incase it is

I vote Kleck for columnist with Steve in second
    Type's 90s monthly PPV gets my vote for best, it was fun and I can appreciate the effort that goes into making art for columns.

Voting ended Thursday. Sorry, guys. I've been crazy busy these last few days, as an unexpected job came up. I'll do the official announcement post thing tomorrow, as I wrap up said job in the morning.

Alright, here we are. Just a few days late, but no less awesome to see.

It should, I suppose, be obvious by now to everyone that we have ourselves a winner. A returning winner, at that. Kleckamania walks away with the COTM crown for February, his first time winning one of these since May of 2016. Talk about making an impact upon one's return.

In addition to the spiffiness of winning this after such a long layoff, Kleck also now finds himself in the company of CF legends, joining the elite 5 Timers Club. He becomes only the 8th person to achieve this mark, which is damn impressive in and of itself. The fact that he did so during a month in which a competition, CSI, was running hot is all the more remarkable. Of the three eligible CSI finalists, only one received any love from the voters, and Kleck garnered 3x as many votes.

In other words... Kleck is pretty kickass. I think we all knew that, though.

The vote for single Column of the Month was a bit more divided. 7 (eligible) columns received votes. Dynamite's vote for Layers of Love was unfortunately thrown out, as you can't vote for an entire series for single Column honors. So, too, were the votes from Type and LAW for zak's Top Trumps column, which was ineligible due to it being about the CF, itself.

In the end, three different eligible columns wound up receiving 2 votes apiece and due to the field being so spread out (always a fantastic indicator of the sheer quality bouncing around in the CF at a given time), that was enough to earn them Column of the Month honors. Those columns? Brotherhood by Steve, WWE is like a cheating girlfriend and Braun deserves better. by TypeItInMaan and When they die... by benjamin button.

Congratulations to everyone who pulled in an award this time around. This stands out to me as perhaps one of the most interesting COTM contests I've ever seen. Not only due to the sheer volume of columns and columnists that garnered votes, but mainly due to the fact that the CSI participants received so little love from the voters. Of those still engaged in the competition when February began, only two (eldandy and Mavsman) had votes cast in their favor. That's a incredibly uncommon occurrence and should just further drive home how damn good Kleck was to take this thing in such relative dominant fashion.

Here's a rundown of the numbers, for those of you interested in such things.

Kleckamania - 6 votes
    Mavsman - 2 votes
    Von Wrestler - 1 vote
    Oliver - 1 vote
    205 Clive - 1 vote
    eldandy - 1 vote
    TypeItInMaan - 1 vote

KleckMania running wild, brother!

EDIT: Just saw I was in that 3 way tie for column. Thanks a bunch...Been having fun here seeing all the talent on display. Thanks for the vote for Wrestle Mania in an Alternate WWE universe too. Put a lot of pride in that...Just all around great columns throughout the month.

Congratulations again to Kleckomania!
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 03-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.

On a personal note, thank you for the two of you who voted for Brotherhood. I really, really enjoyed writing that column and am glad that it got some consideration.

Not gonna lie, though, I really wanted this COTM. I never expect votes or anything, but I was surprised that neither Mazza or I snagged a single vote. Hell, I even padded out my list with an extra at the end of the month, bringing back my old gimmick, to boot. I guess the fact that said extra piece only got 3 replies should've told me something ahead of time. lol

What I really take away from this is that Kleck came back on fucking fire, and that makes me super happy. I've always been a big fan, as I've made no secret over the years, and feel that few around here can measure up when Kleck is firing on all cylinders. February was proof of that.

Still, Brotherhood got a nod and I greatly appreciate it, as well as all the mentions peppered throughout the votes. You guys kick ass, and the CF is rolling hot right now. I look forward to seeing if you guys can sustain that heat. Consider it a challenge laid down, from me to all of you.

Congratulations Kleck!!

Squared
    And achieved all on a phone apparently, which I'm pretty sure has to be either the result of voodoo or a Faustian pact. Congratulations!
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Big congrats to Kleck, wonderful to have him back. Much love to the assorted talent represented in the individual section as well, CF is rolling hot right now!

Congrats are in order Kleck, well deserved. I've been here almost entirely for a calendar year and I feel the competition is as good as it's ever been even despite losses of 3 awesome writers in Latta, SirSam and Skitz.

I'm not gone maaaaannnnn. It'll take more than a Main Page promotion to get rid of me.

Congrats to Kleck and Steve, Brotherhood is one of my favourite columns I've read in these parts. Great stuff.

I was so proud of this I had to make a banner. I did the hand gesture, but I didnt try to do a spinarooni. That might wind up disasterous.

Winning this is an honor I take a lot of pride in. I want to thank anyone who read my columns or voted for me, and the well wishers, and competition. This is a place filled with seriously awesome writers, writers that could probably excell at writing for a career, many of whom have helped me with my writing along the way. A big reason I could never stop watching wrestling altogether, is this community. I love being a part of this community.

Steve's write up meant a lot to me. As if there are 3 columnists who showed me I could be myself- wearing my heart out on my sleeve, be creative, and combine loves like music and wrestling those guys are Steve, Shane, and Cult.

Seriously thank you for this. Means a lot to me

Edit: and congrats to the above mentioned Steve, Type, and Benjamin for 3 excellent columns. So much good writing atm. This place feels like it is in a renaissance period right now.
    Last edited by Kleckamania; 03-12-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Kleck... don't you dare tie or surpass me in COTMs while I'm not around to defend myself!

Congrats though I guess.