Thread: The New Era

Squared

The New Era

I know that they aren't going for a 'brave new world' thing but I don't know what else to call the thread: so, if anyone saw the first show of the Callis-D'Amore era, what did you think?

I thought for the most part it was pretty solid and enjoyed it, but although I love A double I hated the end of the show. That's the kind of bullshit spot that really turns me off wrestling. So in the end I came away with the jury out on it.

I am pleased to see the back of the six-sided ring, though. I can take it seriously again rather than thinking the product was designed by a hyperactive five year old.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Didn't catch the show, but did hear some things. I appreciate that they didn't make such a big production of being a "new era" this time, as that kind of harsh break in continuity is death to me as a fan. I also love Austin Aries, but I'm guessing they brought him and he won the match in seconds in a sort of MITB situation? I agree, ditching the six sided ring is fine with me. Most workers seem to hate it and it doesn't add much to the show.

Squared
    Yeah, Aries debuts at the end of the show while Drake is celebrating, impromptu match, Aries wins the title in his first night back in seconds while wearing street clothes.

Everything I hate in a nutshell, really.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    So, new bosses, same as the old bosses? Sadly sounds about right. Though at least Aries is infinitely preferable to someone like Del Rio in that spot.

Squared
    Yes and no. It was weirdly out if step with the rest of the show, which didn't piss me off at all!
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I am a fan of all wrestling shows. That being stated it is nice to see some of the changes. The six sided ring let you know you were watching TNA /Impact. So it was more of a marketing tool. But as mizfan stated it did not do much for the show.

I think that building up their wrestlers is the right way to go. I was not a fan of Trevor Lee but the recent pairing with Caleb Konley and the way they were presented in the latest show is building my interest in his character.

The rest of the show did the same.

Breaking the fourth wall (so to speak) by EC3 when he stated that people might think he was gone but he was here to fight (not exactly what he said but the point of it) was distressing. Those of us who visit LOP know that he is already in WWE. Those casual fans watching probably did not get it or were confused by what he said.

Seeing Austin Aeries as the champions does not sit as well with me as it might with others. Eli Drake is my favorite wrestler at this time and it seems a little rushed or a little like desperation to push him so soon after his return. I wonder what was behind creative's minds. Do they think he has more name value? Just seems a waste to have built up Eli to have him loose to the newcomer so quickly.

Kiera Hogan looks like a nice addition to the Knockouts Division.

In total though it seems like a positive start to the new era and hope that they continue to build the characters they have.

The Brain
    I can see Von's point about EC3. I'm not sure Impact has many casual viewers left, but that kind of winking at the camera can be a little obnoxious, even from a charismatic guy like EC3.

I also see the point about looking too desperate by dropping the title from Drake the way they did. I have a feeling he may get it back after a little while because he really is one of the brightest stars in the company, so hopefully it'll even out in the end.

Von, if you want to change your opinion on Trevor Lee, I strongly recommend checking this out if you have time. You'll feel like you're watching a whole different guy, I promise:

Thanks for the link to the match. Yes my image of Trevor Lee is much improved upon viewing this match. Also of Chip Day. Except for the superplex the match was very much in the spirit of the matches from my youth. Very little high flying. The physique of the two participants reminded me of the wrestlers of my youth as well. Wrestlers back then were mostly stout without the muscle definition of most of today's wrestlers. One funny part of the match was watching the referee's head moving with each strike by the wrestlers at one point. Really enjoyed the video.

The Brain
    Glad you did! I became a much bigger Trevor Lee fan after seeing that. I think it's probably hard for him to show that side of himself in 5 minute X Division matches, but he has the ability.

CWF: Mid Atlantic is a bit of a throwback fed in general, they do some great work there. I'm actually now wondering if it might be something Prime would be into...

Squared
    The little bit I saw looks very promising. Production values could be an issue for me (I know I'm not supposed to care about stuff like that, but it does affect me). If I can get past that it sounds like the kind of mantra that'll put it right up my street, and I imagine if it was nearby I'd be a bit of a regular at their shows.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Believe me, production does matter, and it should! But it's also something I think most people can make allowances for. If you are digging the CWF stuff, they're regular on youtube so it'd be pretty easy to pick them up...

Squared
    Didn't enjoy the last show very much, for the first time since the new era started. The commitment ceremony to the knockouts title felt like a bad attitude era bit. Braxton Sutter was a bit all over the place. Apparently no one gives a shit when Jacobs chokes out Park after a match, so why should I care?

More bad than decent this time and a check on my early enthusiasm.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"