Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Batista

If I were forced to say something good about Batista currently, it does appear he's tweaking his character slightly. Subtle things like him going to do his shaking the ropes thing ala Ultimate Warrior, but then basically just saying "fuck it".

Everyone knows he's better as a heel, and I thought his entire role on Smackdown could be the start of something good. Ok, so WWE thought we wanted Batista.....can you blame them? Plenty of people have been calling for his return since he left. Seems to me WWE has recognized their mistake and is trying to capitalize on it with this new anti-fans persona. A lot can be said if they take the borderline disaster they had on their hands and turn it into another entertaining heel run for big Dave.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

CoachBrief
    The best part about this thread is going back to page 2 and watching the general consensus go from "Excited for Batista to come back and have matches with Bryan & Ziggler." to "It was just one crowd reaction, he'll be fine." to "BURN IN HELL BATISTA FOR TAKING BRYAN'S SPOT!!!!!"

Well no one really expected the WWE to throw him directly into the Rumble, win and take Bryan's spot in the main event of WrestleMania.

They/we were all excited for his return, and his eventual matches with Bryan, Ziggler, etc.

I never was.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

CoachBrief
    So, I've had this thought for a while and haven't seen anybody mention it yet: With Batista tapping to Bryan at Wrestlemania, is the "X-Pac on steroids" heat going to subside a little in favorite of legit heel heat?

I feel like he (or Creative) did the right thing at Wrestlemania, having him tap out to the Yes Lock. That kind of validated that the fans do have a voice if it is loud enough. And while I'm still not a fan of the guy, I am finally accepting his return and his place on the card.

I was fan of Batista returning but unfortunately my excitement was killed by Royal Rumble. The man is old and doesn't look that into it. He can still add something but I think even WWE is disappointed.

No I do not think so. The fans still do not like his return. From the way that the WWE handled his return (the leak) to him winning the rumble, to him being out of shape, and the fact that he looks old.

Yes, Batista is in remarkable shape for a man of 45, but look at the older pictures of him that the WWE uses in their promos of him. Bats looks old.

Also there is the other major factor working against Batista. The fact that his return halters some other younger, hungrier, and more deserving talent on the roster.

Bats will not drop to the midcard so he takes a main event spot away from a guy like Reigns or Wyatt or Cesaro etc.

People have been talking about how bad the Undertaker looked at WM30, and Bats is almost there. Yes I know he is 4 years younger than Taker, but it is the same comparison, and we have Bats back for a reported 2 year deal. So that means he will be around until he is 47, and his past has already shown that he is injury prone.

I do not think that the new Smarter WWE Audience, in the "Reality Era" will fully accept Bats back. He could have had a shot of being accepted if he came back the night AFTER WrestleMania and attacked Bryan for retribution for HHH and Orton. But since the WWE mistreated Bryan's popularity and threw Batista down our throats, I do not think the fans will "accept" him anymore. He will be tolerated, at best.

Besides HHH and Stephanie stole all of the heel heat, they took it right out from under Orton AND Batista.
    Last edited by Powder; 04-11-2014 at 02:17 PM.

CoachBrief
    Yeah, but Batista has said the right things since coming back. He tapped out to the man whose spot he stole (perhaps too harsh a word) in the main event of Wrestlemania after most people on here were spewing hate vinegar on him, myself included. Especially because it was allegedly reported that Batista had a WM Main Event win written into his contract. With one exception (flipping off fans after the Rumble), he has tried to make amends and has done more than anybody thought he would do to make things right.

At least he can still go in the ring. No, he hasn't set the world on fire, but at least he didn't go out there on Sunday and stumble around for 30 minutes like The Undertaker.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrief View Post
    he has tried to make amends and has done more than anybody thought he would do to make things right.

At least he can still go in the ring. No, he hasn't set the world on fire, but at least he didn't go out there on Sunday and stumble around for 30 minutes like The Undertaker.
    What amends?

And what did he do in the ring? It was a brawl. There was almost no "wrestling" from him. All of the "wrestling" came from Orton and Bryan.

CoachBrief
    He either agreed or decided that he was the one tapping to Bryan. He recently had an interview where he said that he told HHH that what they had scheduled for him wasn't going to work, and that he petitioned to actually let Bryan get some offense in when they fought back in 2010 instead of a squash. The interview is from the MP, I just don't feel like lloking it up. If you want me to find it, I will.

And his match with Orton last Monday was good as long at it lasted. His matches with Del Rio also aren't as bad as advertised and his match with Ziggler on Smackdown was also entertaining.

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachBrief View Post
    So, I've had this thought for a while and haven't seen anybody mention it yet: With Batista tapping to Bryan at Wrestlemania, is the "X-Pac on steroids" heat going to subside a little in favorite of legit heel heat?

I feel like he (or Creative) did the right thing at Wrestlemania, having him tap out to the Yes Lock. That kind of validated that the fans do have a voice if it is loud enough. And while I'm still not a fan of the guy, I am finally accepting his return and his place on the card.
    I agree with this sentiment. While I find the Post-Wrestlemania Raw booking of Orton/Bats decimating the Usos very questionable, the night concluded the way I had envisioned for awhile: The start of a summer program of The Authority vs. Bryan/Shield which I believe can easily carry on through the summer until Summerslam. Batista will get legit heel heat now with his interactions with the fan favorite Bryan and the talented stable in The Shield. I would love to see Ambrose with a mic going after Bats.

I still believe Bats will acquire the WWE HW Championship by July for the promo tour of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Now here is hypothetical, which most likely will not happen: How would the "universe" react if we see a Bats/Lesnar Rumble match for the Championship, assuming Bryan would win the Rumble match itself?

CoachBrief
    I think positively. Batista has shown enough spark on the mic to gain a pop from the crowd, and once he finally moves away from Daniel Bryan he can turn face and the crowd will react accordingly.

EDIT: Either that or we see Lesnar be an overwhelming face based on crowd reactions, showing that people hate Batista more for taking Bryan's Rumble win than Brock for ending the streak. Which would be quite the statement. I could see Heyman doing his best to heel up Lesnar but the crowd just cheering everything he does while feuding with Batista. Kind of like some wrestlers do when feuding with Cena.
    Last edited by CoachBrief; 04-11-2014 at 05:55 PM.

I think people will get over Lesnar breaking the streak as soon as Lesnar makes his return. "They" "hate" him now because of the shock value. Lesnar is respected by the WWE universe and will eventually make him a face, especially if/when he faces Batista.

AmpZone88
    So perhaps that's why they put Heyman with someone who the fans adore in Cesaro, so that when Brock returns to target Batista, Heyman's settled in as (somewhat) of a face manager. Now, that's probably giving creative way more credit in their long-term booking skills than they're worth, but it would make sense if they don't see Batista being able to turn face at any point ever...

So, who thinks WWE and Marvel should try and do some cross promotion with Bats after his surprisingly good performance in GotG.

Say have Miz out there talking about being a movie star, when hooked on a feeling hits, Batista comes out as Drax, and just destroys him.

If he was Drax for a month or even one night to capitalize on his heat right now, it could bring casual viewers in, and I think we all know he can't return as a heel now after that movie.

If I were Batista, I wouldn't return at all. Why go back to a company that just misused you and let you become the most reviled man in wrestling when you can do what The Rock's doing and be a movie star? It's obvious Batista has the chops to continue acting, and after the last run he just had in WWE, I'd simply continue doing that. Who knew he'd be a better actor than wrestler?

The Hurra Duff
    Rumor is that Big Dave just got a role in the next Bond movie playing an "iconic henchmen" (Jaws or Oddjob perhaps).

Hinx, actually.

And thus no Batista at WM31.

The Hurra Duff
    Didn't think he'd show up at 31 anyways but this probably just confirms it.

Good for him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    And thus no Batista at WM31.
    I dont think we got filming dates on that new Bond Movie. If anything if I were Batista id pair him with the freshly back Daniel Bryan. As Rock has shown, your movies do better when you are connected to the WWE. The WWE has a rabid fan platform which can be used to promote your stuff.

I think its more important to make Batista a face then it is to get him back for Wrestlemania.

Even if he isnt wrestling, a Staredown with Brock might help everyone.

I've been reading a few entertainment sites speculating the future of the Drax the Destroyer character in the Marvel Universe because Batista wants one last run (6 months to a year) in WWE. They could use his star power, just hopefully more wisely than they did during his last return.

The Brain
    If Batista came in and really devoted himself for a year, I think it could possibly be a lot of fun. But yeah, of course it's all about the handling.

I have no real big interest in seeing another Batista run. Thought he was fine the last few months but also felt they damaged his character and it would take alot of care and work to make me care to see him against... basically guys he's already wrestled.

A Brock match might have been interesting.

I'm 50/50 on it. In an interview with JR, he said what he missed most was the house show circuit and wrestling in front of the crowds - which points to him coming in for a Jericho-like position. Unfortunately, he followed up that comment by saying the program he'd want to work most would be with Triple H. So, yeah, if you get to see him on house shows working with interesting never-before-seen opponents like Samoa Joe and Braun Strowman or even Elias, that could be some really fun stuff...but the rest of us have to watch him and Hunter relive 2005? Hard pass on that.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Squared
    Should preface this by saying that I don't believe it, but has to be worth pointing out that there is something on the net about how Batista is a leading candidate to win the Rumble again.

I don't buy it, mainly because the only reason to book Batista winning the rumble is if he's facing Brock and beating Brock. Don't see that happening.

Squared
    For what it's worth I don't buy it either.

But the rumour is that he challenges for the Smackdown title, rather than going after Brock. Cena has been mooted....

The Brain
    Batista/AJ is actually an interesting match, to me.

If WWE seriously tries to put over Batista in Philly though, the reaction is going to be AWFUL.

Squared
    Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't buy about the argument. It's been claimed that with no D-Bry and the possibility of a Reigns win, anyone else will get cheered. But I think people will remember, and boo the crap out of Big Dave. So if they are thinking that he'll get a huge babyface reaction just for not being Roman, I reckon they are sorely mistaken.

The Brain
    That does sound uncomfortably like something WWE might do though. For good or bad, it'll be an interesting Rumble...

Where is this rumor coming from?

Squared
    Not entirely sure - I've seen it in a couple of places but they themselves are talking about it in terms of 'there is a rumour that...'

It's probably bullshit, to be honest, but I don't mind speculating regardless.

Batista has said he wants a long term last run, like 6 months to a year, but i do not see his return happening again at the Rumble.

A better idea to get him cheered and to begin a run for Bats is to be a surprise debut on the Monday after Mania.

I found it. It's not from a site or an insider I've ever heard of, but they're saying that Batista, Baron Corbin and Balor are the guys who are the favorites to win, with Balor using his shot against Brock at the Elimination Chamber if he were victorious (in order to preserve that Roman-Lesnar match Vince has to have). The only reason I'd give it any credence is because no one has yet debunked that Fatal Five Way match that was advertised for Fastlane which, if true, means Nakamura, Zayn, Owens and Orton aren't winning the Rumble because why would they if there then in this match? Beyond that, I'd be careful getting too worried about this. And frankly, even though it's not the most crowd pleasing idea, I get it. Batista is a significantly (and I mean significantly) bigger star than any of those four guys and while I get the AJ-Nakamura thing is a dream match, Nakamura also hasn't been nearly as good as he was when he fought AJ two years ago and hasn't been booked in any way that suggests Rumble winner (meanwhile they've already given away Zayn, Owens and Orton vs. AJ on TV or PPV last year). Batista-AJ isn't something I'm excited for, but I get it (if it happens of course).