Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batista

Batista

WWE has now confirmed the return of The Animal, Dave Batista.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Have all the Punk and Bryan marks forgotten how limited he was in the ring (and now he's even older), or am I forgetting just how awesome he was?
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

The Brain
    He had his limitations, but Bats could put on a pretty good show with the right opponent. Triple H, Undertaker, Cena, Jericho, Edge, HBK, Mysterio, the list goes on. I also loved the 5 minute match he had with Bryan in 2010, really good chemistry in a short time. I'm cautiously optimistic, though it will depend on what kind of shape he's in and what kind of schedule they have him on.

McDaygo
    From what I've read it is a part time/Full time. Meaning when he is with WWE, he is With WWE (House shows, Raw and/or Smackdown) and will only be away when Movies call him.

The Brain
    Good for him if true. Batista is a big enough star that he could probably finagle one of these barely-there contracts that are so common today, so if he really gets down to work full time again I'll be very impressed right off the bat.

I really want to see Batista vs. Dolph Ziggler and Batista vs. Bryan again. Their matches were too short to properly enjoy, but what was there was quite strong. Both the opponents have changed since they last wrestled Batista. It'll be great to see what has been the effect of all these years.

So are we more looking forward to Batista vs. workhorses (Punk, Bryan, ADR, etc.), or Batista vs. big guys (Reigns, Lesnar, 'Taker)?

Definitely want to see Reigns vs. Batista, Lesnar is a nice contender too. 'Taker is too far off the list. But if you compare big guys and work horses, I would favor the latter.

The Brain
    Lesnar is both a great worker and a hoss, so he's a bit different... generally I think Batista works better with smaller guys, many of his hoss matches tended to disappoint with Taker being the only notable exception off the top of my head. As to Batista/Reigns, it could be good but I'm worried it would badly expose Reigns' shortcomings, as I have so far found him iffy in singles matches. If he pulls it off well it'll go a long way to bringing me around on him.

McDaygo
    You also have to keep in mind the Ring Rust batista might have. Not doubitnty his has the cardio or endurace to keep up (as he is a fitness addict) but it may take a match or two to get his groove back.

A Professional Sort Of
    That should include a couple of squash matches against Slater, McIntyre and Mahal (sounds like a law firm).

Just hope he remembers not to patronize CM Punk this time.

A Professional Sort Of
    I'd like to see what shape Batista is in when he comes back.

I remember when Lesnar came back and while he was still in good shape, he wasn't the physical beast he once was.

I hope Lesnar and Batista come face to face in the Rumble though.

Quote Originally Posted by McDaygo View Post
    You also have to keep in mind the Ring Rust batista might have. Not doubitnty his has the cardio or endurace to keep up (as he is a fitness addict) but it may take a match or two to get his groove back.

Yoda? Is that you?

McDaygo
    While funny if you read the full sentence it isn't in "Yoda talk"

deprice659
    I imagine that Batista will have some good matches with Brainwashed Bryan who I think will be used to put over faces for a while. I imagine that is part of why they turned Bryan tweener going into Mania season.

The Beast is unleashed tonight. Sounds like he's coming in as a face, but does anyone doubt we'll get a heel run before it's all said and done?

I know he'll be a heel, I even suspect it'll happen tonight.

WWE is short on heels right now. Lots of heel characters or part timers, but other than Orton there are no real main event heels. With Bryan, Punk and Cena leading the heroic side, they will need opponents after Orton drops the title, and HHH/Brock go back on vacation. The Wyatts and The Shield will fit this scenario eventually, but not yet. Until then, Batista will be back to being a villain sooner than later.

If ADR hadn't been talking shit lately, I'd guess he'd come in as a heel too.

I have to imagine that the ADR thing isn't going to last long for Batista, so it's possible he could be a heel following the Rumble. I personally would have no issue with him facing Cena again come Wrestlemania; Cena is the reason Batista left WWE four years ago and it would only be natural for Batista to try and seek revenge on Cena for that.

Reality Champ
    I can't see a heel turn that quickly. I see a face run through WM. Let's assume for a second that Taker gets his wish and doesn't face Brock....why not Batista/Brock at WM?

I agree with you that's what ultimately will happen; I'm simply saying Batista-Cena would make a little more sense seeing as Batista left because of Cena. Ultimately though, Brock vs. Batista makes sense from a drawing standpoint and a filling out the card standpoint.

Batista/Brock doesn't have to make sense. All it requires to set up is eye contact and heavy breathing.

Thankfully, all options are pretty fresh. Bats vs Taker, Cena, Brock, Bryan, Punk, Sheamus...etc. I just think he'll be more useful as a heel.

Let him get his momentum by running over ADR, and eliminating him from the Rumble, but much like Sid in 92, turn heel at the Rumble when he's eliminated by another face to kick start a Mania match.

I agree that more heels are needed, and that he will be at some point a heel, but it's probably too early for that. I have to imagine that the nostalgic fervor will be high and the audience will probably be solidly behind him when he makes his return. Unless he goes up against another fan favorite (like Punk or Bryan and not ADR) that is massively over and does something dastardly, it won't really get the crowd to turn on him.

There are so many ifs, but let me start this off that I'm going by the idea that Bryan will face the champion at Mania by winning the Rumble, and Punk will face HHH.

I expect Batista to get cheered tonight, and into the Rumble. I then expect a heel turn on Sunday. I see Bats, ADR, Punk, and Bryan to be the final 4. Bats will eliminate ADR, and then Punk in a heelish manner. I wouldn't even be surprised if they bring back the thumbs up/down gesture to somehow convey that HHH hired Batista to make sure Punk doesn't win the Rumble. Bryan gets the win, most likely with Punk getting back involved to take out Bats. Bats vs Punk at the Chamber, or in the Chamber with Batista fully heel and under instructions to eliminate Punk.

When it comes to faces, there are too many right now (I know, what a weird thing to say, too many!). But there are, Cena, Taker, Bryan and Punk. On the other side there's HHH, Brock and Orton. Batista and Sheamus will get involved somewhere, and one of them will end up being a henchman for HHH. Both work in this scenario, but due to him just being rehired, and the previous ties to Evolution, it makes more sense that is be The Animal.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    I can't see a heel turn that quickly. I see a face run through WM. Let's assume for a second that Taker gets his wish and doesn't face Brock....why not Batista/Brock at WM?
    That’s one of the only real reasons I am looking forward to his return tonight. I want that feud to happen and I’d like it to take place at WrestleMania.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    There are so many ifs, but let me start this off that I'm going by the idea that Bryan will face the champion at Mania by winning the Rumble, and Punk will face HHH.

I expect Batista to get cheered tonight, and into the Rumble. I then expect a heel turn on Sunday. I see Bats, ADR, Punk, and Bryan to be the final 4. Bats will eliminate ADR, and then Punk in a heelish manner. I wouldn't even be surprised if they bring back the thumbs up/down gesture to somehow convey that HHH hired Batista to make sure Punk doesn't win the Rumble. Bryan gets the win, most likely with Punk getting back involved to take out Bats. Bats vs Punk at the Chamber, or in the Chamber with Batista fully heel and under instructions to eliminate Punk.

When it comes to faces, there are too many right now (I know, what a weird thing to say, too many!). But there are, Cena, Taker, Bryan and Punk. On the other side there's HHH, Brock and Orton. Batista and Sheamus will get involved somewhere, and one of them will end up being a henchman for HHH. Both work in this scenario, but due to him just being rehired, and the previous ties to Evolution, it makes more sense that is be The Animal.
    Maybe the night after the Rumble would be a better time for a heel turn? Because the Rumble isn't really the place for a heel turn unless there's a lot of backstory; because of the whole "every man for himself" dynamic. In the past we have seen teammates turn on each other in order to get the big opportunity for themselves, but without turning heel in the process. HBK turned on HHH in 2010, and no one regarded it as a heelish thing; it's just what you do at the Rumble. Is it a particularly heelish thing if Dave Batista eliminates Punk? It's not like they are or were BFFs anyways. I guess he could do a low blow or something, but that would just make Batista look incredibly weak...

I think there are ways for them to pull it off in the match. Even if the outcome is needing to wait until the next night for clarification, it makes sense for the Rumble to be the place it originates.

But, we'll see. There are so many options right now.

deprice659
    There aren't too many faces for Mania if Bryan or Cena faces Taker, which are the most likely options in my opinion. Post-Mania is a different story. I think they'll keep Batista face up until Mania because casual Mania fans who are nostalgic will want to cheer him and so he can have a big name feud with Lesnar and play up their outside-WWE-names along with Batista's MMA experience, which Lesnar can mock. They could have a good MMA style wrestling match too a la Punk vs. Lesnar. It's a feud that the WWE shouldn't pass up and I think the timing is right with Batista having maintstream name recognition right now and Lesnar still has some pull. I see Big Dave getting the win given him being a face and a full timer, although I think Lesnar would benefit more from a win. Personally, I think the heel turn to join the Authority makes more sense after Mania. Let's say Daniel Bryan wins the championship from Orton. Batista would be a great fill-in for Randy (who couldn't get the job done). They could do the whole thumbs down-turn-on-Orton thing again except this time have Orton remain a heel lackey of Evolution for a while.

Matt Shepherd
    Punk wins Rumble, Bryan wins at Elimination Chamber for the belt, then we get the greatest masterpiece of modern wrestling possible of achieving at this time.
    Sting v.s. The Undertaker
    Randy Orton in Triple H's corner v.s. John Cena in Vinces corner one last time Hell in a Cell
    Batista v.s. Brock Lesnar

Truth be told those are just my guesses though mixed in with some hopes WrestleMania XXX here we come, and don't you dare disappoint me like last year.

Batista has kindly requested that anyone with a negative attitude towards his return to place his testicles directly in their mouth.

Do you have your knee pads ready?

What for? I don't wrestle until my debut at WrestleMania.

Matt Shepherd
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    Batista has kindly requested that anyone with a negative attitude towards his return to place his testicles directly in their mouth.
    I believe the direct quote was.

"Suck my Balls!"

~Dave Batista

Evan
    So I just got a chilling thought that Bats is going to break Kane's elimination record this year. Its been over 10 years and they want to push Batista hard, so what better way then to have him dominate in the Rumble and eliminate 12?

Hylton
    I don't get the Batista hate. He's clearly popular and having him back on the roster will do nothing but good things. Sure he was better as a heel but let's give it a shot before we write him off as an 'epic fail' as the kids like to say these days.

Also, if anyone is gonna break Kane's record this year I'm willing to bet it's Roman Reigns.

Is "hate" really the right word to use regarding the general consensus about Dave? In a society that demands instant gratification, all Batista has going for him so far is a severely underwhelming pop and a guaranteed headlining match at WrestleMania. Don't think anyone with a respectable understanding of the inner workings of WWE hates the guy, as they know he brings in money and electrifies an audience. We're all just waiting for it to happen is all.

I'll admit that there are a few factors keeping me from being excited about his return. Dude barely ever went a full two year stretch without a serious injury, so there's a distinct possibility of him spending a significant amount of this run on the shelf. Also, everyone knows he's one of those guys that has to have the right opponent in order to light it up in the ring. When you consider that any pairing of two random guys from the current roster have a better chance of putting on a solid bout than at any other time in history, I can't help but wonder if maybe the wrestling business has passed guys like Batista by.

Hylton
    As for injuries, the same could be said about Edge ya know? I think we should just be excited to see what he's gonna do. It's all really up in the air. Even the supposed rumor mill doesn't know what's happening at 'Mania, as there are different and contradicting reports every other day.

Batista is a huge name. He's about to have what will probably be a hugely successful movie come out (even though I can't stand Guardians of the Galaxy or just about anything Marvel does in space). I'm excited about things, especially since the WWE roster has been the biggest and most stacked it's ever been for the past few years.

If Guardians sees the type of success that's come to be expected from Marvel epics, does that put Batista in a position to help fill the media void left by Rock? Obviously he's not gonna be the year's highest paid actor any time soon, but he becomes number 2 by default, right?

I know this isn't the movie forums, but is his role a big one in the comics?

Hylton- Don't really see your point about Edge. Of course he was injury prone, but he's not the one that just signed a medium-to-long-term contract to main event in WWE on a full time basis.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 01-26-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Hylton
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    If Guardians sees the type of success that's come to be expected from Marvel epics, does that put Batista in a position to help fill the media void left by Rock? Obviously he's not gonna be the year's highest paid actor any time soon, but he becomes number 2 by default, right?

I know this isn't the movie forums, but is his role a big one in the comics?

Hylton- Don't really see your point about Edge. Of course he was injury prone, but he's not the one that just signed a medium-to-long-term contract to main event in WWE on a full time basis.
    True, but he was able to contribute a lot to the company before he left.

As for Drax, he's a decently big deal. He's probably the most popular/well known of the Guardians besides the stuff Nova did, and he was a big deal in the Thanos stuff (Infinity Saga) so portraying him is a big deal.