Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Batista

Bout time for him to tear something, ain't it? My money is on bicep, but I'd be fine with the traditional ACL.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    WWE's attempt to force Batista on the fans (the video promo during the commercial last week, the youtube clips, saving Ziggler and trying to put him against The Authority) will turn more people off than help him.
    I think you're being harsh. Raw's booking was a great step forward. Del Rio isn't the most hated heel, but he's despised for his spot. Has anyone dominated him so completely that it looks like he'll be rejected from the main event? That's what Batista gave us. It's a shame that WWE had to serve up a guy they've worked so hard on to get over, but I think it's reasonable to say that Batista needs the attention more than Del Rio. And it's working.

Dude's a 2x Royal Rumble winner and the current #1 contender for the title. What does he gain from squashing other main eventers that wasn't accomplished by winning the Rumble?

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    I think you're being harsh. Raw's booking was a great step forward. Del Rio isn't the most hated heel, but he's despised for his spot. Has anyone dominated him so completely that it looks like he'll be rejected from the main event? That's what Batista gave us. It's a shame that WWE had to serve up a guy they've worked so hard on to get over, but I think it's reasonable to say that Batista needs the attention more than Del Rio. And it's working.
    The booking was the right idea, but in my opinion it didn't work. Ziggler, while not having the same popularity he had a year ago, is still a pretty over guy with the WWE Universe and should've been someone Batista could piggyback off of. But when Batista's music hit, there were a few cheers in little else, and when he initially attacked Del Rio, there were boos. The crowd only popped when he was preparing to do the table spot, and they were popping for that spot, not Batista. It's the same thing that happened when Big Show put Orton through the table in London a few months back; the spot was more over than either guy, and before and after it happened the crowd was relatively silent. After the spot was over, the crowd was silent for Batista, and nobody cared at all about the backstage segment he had with Triple H where you could hear and see nothing from the crowd.

And let's say that it did go better than it actually did; the only way this booking will work is if it got Batista cheered long term and at the next two Pay Per Views. And that certainly isn't the case; no one is going to care to see Del Rio vs. Batista unless a miracle happens next week, and I'm certainly sure that fans aren't just going to warm up to Batista-Orton, no matter how good the story is (and Batista vs. The Authority as hinted this past Monday night isn't going to be that; in fact, it'll likely annoy fans even more). Was what happened Monday a step in the right direction in terms of how to book Batista? Certainly better than the last three weeks have. But is it working? Not so much, at least from what I've seen.

Oliver
    Batista vs The Authority isn't going to happen. I feel certain. My feeling is that The Authority lose faith in Orton and thus get Batista as their champion instead. The hints have been there - HHH referring to him as 'our friend', bits of backstage interaction (I felt this weeks stuff between HHH and Bats was way too face on the side of the former) and the fact that he came back when HHH is kayfabe in charge. There's enough dissension between Orton and The Authority for them to split, especially with Orton currently struggling to prove his worth against his Chamber mates. It's just a case of when they do it - if they want to really throw some intrigue, they pull Elimination Chamber 2010 at it and give Bryan the belt, only to have HHH again screw him by giving Batista his Rumble shot 'right here, right now' and he waltzes in an wins the belt. Alternatively, they try and keep Batista over to some extent until the Mania main event and have The Authority turn on Orton (although that wouldn't necessarily get the desired reaction) there. Unfortunately, I see no situation where this happens in which Bryan isn't the ideal scapegoat, at least initially. I think it's unlikely they do the EC scenario but then have Batista only hold the belt for six weeks before dropping it to Bryan at Mania. Equally, I could see them inserting Bryan in the title match at Mania only to have them screw him over in a similar fashion in a triple threat to anoint 'their' champion.

Either way, sooner or later I see Batista being alongside HHH.

wfrw07
    They already used the Batista wins the title after someone wins the Chamber angle before, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    Dude's a 2x Royal Rumble winner and the current #1 contender for the title. What does he gain from squashing other main eventers that wasn't accomplished by winning the Rumble?
    It's not that he gains anything in terms of credibility. He gains support. I highly doubt WWE thought this far into it, but how long have we been wanting to see Del Rio just wiped out of the main event scene? He gets a mix of lack of reaction and XPac heat for the most part, and this is after he's been booked as a dominant heel for most of his run. He's not a chicken shit coward heel, he's a heel who wins by tap out against genuinely credible faces like Rey Mysterio and Christian. No, those aren't names like Cena or Punk, but it's still more than most heels get in terms of clean wins since HHH was the Raw champion 2002-2005.

The point is that what Batista did was for support from the fans, not for credibility.

The booking was the right idea, but in my opinion it didn't work. Ziggler, while not having the same popularity he had a year ago, is still a pretty over guy with the WWE Universe and should've been someone Batista could piggyback off of. But when Batista's music hit, there were a few cheers in little else, and when he initially attacked Del Rio, there were boos. The crowd only popped when he was preparing to do the table spot, and they were popping for that spot, not Batista. It's the same thing that happened when Big Show put Orton through the table in London a few months back; the spot was more over than either guy, and before and after it happened the crowd was relatively silent. After the spot was over, the crowd was silent for Batista, and nobody cared at all about the backstage segment he had with Triple H where you could hear and see nothing from the crowd.

And let's say that it did go better than it actually did; the only way this booking will work is if it got Batista cheered long term and at the next two Pay Per Views. And that certainly isn't the case; no one is going to care to see Del Rio vs. Batista unless a miracle happens next week, and I'm certainly sure that fans aren't just going to warm up to Batista-Orton, no matter how good the story is (and Batista vs. The Authority as hinted this past Monday night isn't going to be that; in fact, it'll likely annoy fans even more). Was what happened Monday a step in the right direction in terms of how to book Batista? Certainly better than the last three weeks have. But is it working? Not so much, at least from what I've seen.
    Again, I think you're being harsh. I agree that they only popped for the spot, but that carries over. Saying it was only for the spot is like saying Mick Foley never earned a genuine cheer in his life. As an audience, we respected Foley doing his spots and his mentality around them (amongst other things). Batista did the spot, and people cheered. Next week, we'll see a highlight of that again, and the live audience will remember how supportive they were and it will have a part in a stronger positive reaction than he would have received without that table spot.

WWE definitely dug themselves a hole with Batista, but Monday's table spot was the best move they've so far made to get themselves out of it. It's way too early to say it won't work, especially if the reaction after the spot was pretty strongly in favor.

As for the crowd not caring for the backstage segment, the live audience mic was noticeably dropped early in the appearance of HHH and Botoxta because the CM Punk chants were kicking in. I'm not claiming Bats will be super over like Punk by Mania, but you can't judge how over he is by a segment that was delivered in the way it was.

I just don't see it. Again, I think the thought behind the segment was correct; I've been saying for weeks that Batista should've come down to save Bryan from a beatdown in order to get some cheers back, so certainly I get the thought of what they did (even if Ziggler isn't as popular as Bryan). But I ultimately don't think it helps him get that much support; maybe next week (although I have my doubts on that), but if it becomes apparent that Batista-Orton will be closing Wrestlemania, it'll just go back to how it's been. Hell, I still don't expect his match with Del Rio to be received great. Perhaps it's harsh, but I think there needs to be more than a table spot in order for fans to be won back over by a guy who is still taking the spot of the guy they chose and still doesn't seem like he wants to be there.

Super Moderator
    Why doesn't he seem like he wants to be there?

His promos, lack of in ring shape and body language scream it. It wasn't as bad this past Monday (probably because he wasn't on the mic), but I thought every appearance till then he just looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. I mean you couldn't have cut two lazier promos than he did those first two weeks back, and his performance at the Rumble was just sloppy. I understand that he was never a great mic worker to begin with (though I don't think he was terrible as some claim he was) and that it was his first match back in awhile, but unlike The Rock, it felt like Batista was going through the motions. Say what you will about The Rock's recent run, but at least to me he appeared invested. I don't get the same vibe from Batista at all. Even the brawl this past Monday (while better than anything he's done thus far) just seemed like he was going through the motions.

He also looks old. Don't get me wrong, the guy is in tremendous shape, but something looks off. He is clearly not as big, but he looks every bit of the 45 that he is.

Super Moderator
    His promos, lack of in ring shape and body language scream it. It wasn't as bad this past Monday (probably because he wasn't on the mic), but I thought every appearance till then he just looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. I mean you couldn't have cut two lazier promos than he did those first two weeks back, and his performance at the Rumble was just sloppy. I understand that he was never a great mic worker to begin with (though I don't think he was terrible as some claim he was) and that it was his first match back in awhile, but unlike The Rock, it felt like Batista was going through the motions. Say what you will about The Rock's recent run, but at least to me he appeared invested. I don't get the same vibe from Batista at all. Even the brawl this past Monday (while better than anything he's done thus far) just seemed like he was going through the motions.
    Do you want him to be all happy, smiling and barely able to contain himself? He's always had that "too cool for school" attitude. To come back and suddenly be about to burst with excitement wouldn't fit at all with the Batista character.

He's never going to be John Cena or Daniel Bryan in terms of exuding "passion", but he seems not less interested than anyone else.

I just can't at all see where you're coming from. He's playing a character that's never been one to be overly emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    He also looks old. Don't get me wrong, the guy is in tremendous shape, but something looks off. He is clearly not as big, but he looks every bit of the 45 that he is.
    Now you're just being nitpicky. The guy's look, at 45, puts most of the guys on the roster in their mid-20's to shame.

Again, we've seen him wrestle precisely one match. And that match wasn't even a real match. I didn't find his work in it "sloppy". The spear on Reigns wasn't great, but I'm not placing the blame for that on Batista. It's quite clear that Reigns either didn't want to or didn't know to change positions in the air and bump down rather than landing on his feet to take it. Outside of that, how many "spots" did he actually do? A battle royal is corners and punching.

I honestly think that there's a segment of people that so don't want to see him in the main event spot that they're looking for reasons to dislike what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Do you want him to be all happy, smiling and barely able to contain himself? He's always had that "too cool for school" attitude. To come back and suddenly be about to burst with excitement wouldn't fit at all with the Batista character.

He's never going to be John Cena or Daniel Bryan in terms of exuding "passion", but he seems not less interested than anyone else.

I just can't at all see where you're coming from. He's playing a character that's never been one to be overly emotional.
    It's not about being overly emotional; you can have a stoic, cool demeanor and still seem like you're into what you are doing. Roman Reigns has that demeanor right now, and you can tell he's not going through the motions. Batista, in my opinion, is. Even if you can explain the poor performance in the ring and the awful mic work, all you need to do is look at the body language. It's tense, uncertain, and as Powder said just a bit off (although I don't think age is the issue, other than Batista poor choice in wardrobe). It just doesn't appear like he wants to be there at all, and that he's there to get a nice paycheck, a title run and a platform to promote his movie. I'm not even blaming him for that, I would've likely taken all of that if I was in his shoes too. But let's call it as it is; right now, he doesn't seem that motivated. That very well could change as time goes along.

Super Moderator
    I disagree, but even so, how motivated would you be if the people that you came back for (you can't deny the energy he had that first night out) did nothing but shit on you for reasons that are totally not your fault?

I don't know why everyone assumes that a title run was a promise. It seems more likely, to me, that when they were negotiating the deal in September and Daniel Bryan wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire as a ratings or PPV draw (for whatever reason you want to attribute to it), they decided that Batista was who they were going to go with.

I can't imagine that they promised him a title run, but I can guarantee that when they saw the state of their ratings and PPV buys, the decision was made, at least among upper management, to run with a returning Batista in hopes that he'd have some buzz and turn shit around.

But he's been shit on since his second night back in the company for things completely out of his control. I know that I wouldn't exactly be all smiles and giddyness to get out in front of that crowd.

I have to assume that there was at least some sort of promise for him when they were negotiating sometime in the fall. I'm not going to knock him for that at all either; if you can get that kind of deal, you get that deal, and he had all the leverage in the world when they were negotiating I'm sure. Let's not forget, there were reports that WWE had reached out to Austin and The Rock during the summer (either to face Triple H or Lesnar in Rock's case), and neither guy chose to do it whether it was money or health reasons. Goldberg likely turned down WWE as well, at the time, there was no idea that guys like Hogan and Sting were going to be available (and as it seems to be the case, neither guy is going to be a major player come Wrestlemania time anyway). As pretty much the lone major return out there (I don't believe the ratings and PPV buys were that big a deal in the fall, as they were pretty much the norm for that time of year anyway), Batista I'm pretty sure was able to command whatever he wanted. I don't blame him for that at all, and I don't entirely blame him for what's occurred thus far; WWE put him in a bad spot to succeed by not keeping his return a surprise, debuting him in the middle of a segment as opposed to building his appearance through the night and then having him leapfrog over the most popular guy. Certainly he can't be blamed for WWE mishandling him.

But that again doesn't excuse him being unmotivated, nor do the fans shitting on him excuse him. John Cena has been shit on by fans almost every single week since 2005 now, and the man always appears motivated and always knows how to handle it. If that man (who has dealt with far worse than Batista has) can handle it properly and stay motivated, Batista sure as hell can.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I disagree, but even so, how motivated would you be if the people that you came back for (you can't deny the energy he had that first night out) did nothing but shit on you for reasons that are totally not your fault?

I don't know why everyone assumes that a title run was a promise. It seems more likely, to me, that when they were negotiating the deal in September and Daniel Bryan wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire as a ratings or PPV draw (for whatever reason you want to attribute to it), they decided that Batista was who they were going to go with.

I can't imagine that they promised him a title run, but I can guarantee that when they saw the state of their ratings and PPV buys, the decision was made, at least among upper management, to run with a returning Batista in hopes that he'd have some buzz and turn shit around.

But he's been shit on since his second night back in the company for things completely out of his control. I know that I wouldn't exactly be all smiles and giddyness to get out in front of that crowd.
    The problem is creative. If Batista signed back in late fall, and promises were made, and then the WWE has taken a completely different path then expected (Bryan's saga) then I am sorry, but you can tell Batista that "I know what you were promised, but the current product with current superstars needs for a tough decision to be made. And that is that you will not be winning the Rumble or getting a title shot at Mania. You will be in a high profile match though." That is what the WWE should have and could have done.

If Bats didn't like the change then don't come back. He was not announced, and the "leak" didn't happen yet. But even if it did. So what. The WWE obviously does not care about what the IWC thinks, so why would it matter if Bats's return got leaked and then he pulled out b/c they changed the storyline for him b/c it would not make good plotline sense. The WWE has the leverage, not Batista. Bats could have gotten his title run in the fall, after the Bryan saga concluded. or his debut could have been made the night after Mania and he could have been brought in by HHH as a response to Bryan winning the title. HHH made the call to an "old friend" to get the title off of Bryan, and Bat's music hits and he makes his return and attacks Bryan. Boom. New feud, and a perfect storyline continuity. Orton couldn't get the job done, so they bring Bats back to do so.

The fans should dictate the product, and they clearly are in the response to Batista. Sorry for him, but it is true.

Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by wfrw07 View Post
    They already used the Batista wins the title after someone wins the Chamber angle before, however.
    Yeah, I acknowledge that but a) they can then play into that history and b) it's not like they're shy about repeating things.

wfrw07
    I think in this case given how the fans have reacted to him, reusing that angle would to many confirm every negative thought they had about him and the situation.

Oliver
    Wouldn't that only help him with a heel turn, though? The whole idea of it is to get the fans to turn on him, and that would be the quickest, easiest way to do it.

wfrw07
    Easiest? Yeah, but it would seem really forced and not thought out. The fans want to turn on him, so they can do it any one of a number of ways. No need to do the same exact thing they had him do a few years ago.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    The fans should dictate the product, and they clearly are in the response to Batista. Sorry for him, but it is true.
    The fans never have, and never should, dictate the product. It's this sense of entitlement that's lead to fans trying to get themselves over and shitting on perfectly acceptable matches. It's the reason mark promoters who think that they "know better than Vince" are killing the industry.

WWE puts out a product and the audience reacts to it. If they're putting out the right product, people will watch. If not, people will tune out.

Fans don't have the right to dictate the booking, though.

Cheers and liking someone do not make them a draw and sometimes you piss off your fans to tell a story.

It's important to know when to give them what they want, but you never let them try and take over and dictate.

Successful bookers are successful bookers and the people in the stands are in the stands for a reason.

EDIT: Maybe fans feel more entitled and "connected" to the product because of the live arena aspect, but they're not. Imagine how much of a loon you'd look like if you started writing to the producers of Elementary because you were angry with how a character on that show was being treated or started demanding a comic book writer take his story suddenly in a different direction because you didn't like the one that he was going in.

If you want to "dictate the product", you're doing in wrong. You know how fans dictate my product to me? By showing up. If 400 people show up to my show next week, and 150 show up to the one after, it's a pretty reasonable assumption that something went wrong and it's on me to change it.

If those 400 people show up 15 shows in a row, I could not care less who they're chanting for or what they say that they want to see, I'm going to continue telling the stories that are clearly working until that number dictates that it needs to be changed.

You want to dictate the product? Turn it off. Watch something else on Mondays, stop going on to message boards, un-follow and un-like everything WWE-related on social media (that's the one that'll probably hurt them the most) and maybe check the MP once every few weeks to see if anything has changed. Otherwise, the fact that you're still watching and still talking about it can be taken to mean that even if you're pissed off with the current direction, the story that they're telling is still drawing you in.

Chants are annoying and can be broken up or the mics turned down. People tuning out en masse is sending a message.

If Elementary or that comic book writer were souring you on the product, you'd watch something else on Thursday nights or pick up the comic when that writer's arc was done. What makes wrestling so different?
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 02-13-2014 at 05:26 PM.

I get what you are saying, but with all of the Daniel Bryan momentum that has been built since SummerSlam, and I get holding off on the payout until WM, then why do you then thrust Batista directly into the Title match? That is why the fans are shittin over other people's matches. The fans are, IMO, rightfully pissed off. The booking can be made to keep Bryan chasing until the payout at WM, but do not completely ignore your souce of income, and the reason your product does as well as it does, meaning the fans, by saying, FUCK YOU, you will get Batista vs Orton and Daniel Bryan will not be near the WWE Title, and you will like it.

Super Moderator
    Again though, people are tuning in. Millions every week.

Until the people who are aggravated stop watching, WWE can dictate to you what you're going to get and and tell you to like it regardless of what you want.

However, if enough fans are apparently okay enough with the current product to keep tuning in and watching Orton vs Batista at WrestleMania, then, yes, WWE is well within their rights to say "FUCK YOU, you will get Batista vs Orton and Daniel Bryan will not be near the WWE Title, and you will like it".

Imagine, if Elementary tried that (sorry I keep bringing it up, it's the only current show that I watch so it's the only one that I really know). Imagine if, next week, the producers decided "FUCK YOU, Sherlock Holmes is now a talking cartoon alley cat, and you will like it." People wouldn't just complain online and then tune in to see the adventures of the talking cartoon alley cat next week. They'd find something else to watch.

Note: I would probably watch Sherlock: The Talking Cartoon Alley Cat because that sounds like an incredible show and if any of you assholes steal my idea I'll sue so fast.

Yeah if you dont like what they are doing steal the content. allegedly thats how some people express their anger. I know I buy the PPVs of which im drawn to see (i might wait a day on the ones im mot) because im supporting the product and if you dont support the product it goes away. But if you dont like the product then watch raw the next day, you have the net and there are enough places to watch it. Watch it without the commercials. Watch the PPVs after they happen.

Jim Cornette on Dave Batista. This made me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xsoAsBAEwx4

Btw FUCK JIM CORNETTE. hes a bitter asshole but when he cuts a promo on a guy it makes me laugh.

Batista is a big poopie head.

Hylton
    Damn dude. You went to far with that one.

Goldberg Rules!
    Blatantly stolen from Cold via Twitter:

http://i.imgur.com/zAapP1O.jpg

Hylton
    It's funny, because he's such a good heel that as soon as he turns people will get behind him. That's the fickle nature of the Universe I guess.

I doubt it because they hate him mostly cause he's in a spot that Bryan should be in.. Not to mention that his matches have really sucked since returning.

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I doubt it because they hate him mostly cause he's in a spot that Bryan should be in.. Not to mention that his matches have really sucked since returning.
    I just want him once during a promo to say "It's worldwide."

I'm not sure Team Farrell will read this, but my question is, haven't the fans already tuned out? This week's RAW rating was not very good, especially considering it came the night after a major PPV and featured the publicized return of Hulk Hogan and a highly anticipated return of the Undertaker.

The RAW after Rumble also didn't show a huge bump (if I remember correctly, could be wrong).

The biggest bump of the past few months was Batista's return...but since then, things have leveled off.

One could argue that pushing Bryan stronger, or at least pushing him as the "spoiler" of the title match at Mania, would not affect ratings, but we'll never know now. What we do know is that Orton/Batista is not bringing in new viewers - if it were, the ratings would show it. What we do know is that Hulk Hogan's return didn't bring in huge ratings last week. To me, the correlation is that if the main event feud was red hot (and we can all agree it isn't), there would be more eyes on the product and there's an argument that can be made that those eyes would've boosted the rating for Hogan, Taker, and Lesnar.

In a nutshell, Batista is getting booed. Orton is getting booed. John Cena is in the midcard against a rookie at Mania. There's no Austin and no Rock and no CM Punk (according to everyone but Cult). Taker/Lesnar is an attraction match, but there should certainly be question marks about whether Taker can still perform at the level necessary to make this our main event. The WWE would be shooting themselves in the foot to NOT have Daniel Bryan end the show at this point.

Talking dollars and cents, I find it hard to believe that Dave Batista, as a heel or face, is going to sell more house show tickets than Daniel Bryan - and isn't this the new barometer now that PPV revenue is a thing of the past?

Reality Champ
    Batista makes his official heel turn on Smackdown. Gotta love Smackdown being more relevant.

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Batista makes his official heel turn on Smackdown. Gotta love Smackdown being more relevant.
    He borrowed Pitbull's hat for that craptacular segment, but forgot to say "It's a Worldwide."

That was probably the best promo he's ever cut in his life. It's also another moment where you have to wonder what WWE was thinking by not having him be a heel in the first place? It was the first time since he's been back that he actually looked comfortable.

By the way, his heel turn guarantees someone else will be added that match.

Reality Champ
    That was probably the best promo he's ever cut in his life. It's also another moment where you have to wonder what WWE was thinking by not having him be a heel in the first place? It was the first time since he's been back that he actually looked comfortable.

By the way, his heel turn guarantees someone else will be added that match.
    Nah, his stuff in the last few months of his run in 2010 was amazing.

Yeah Batista's heel run in 2010 was his best work BY FAR.

I saw the promo tonight. Frankly, he looks bored.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAman View Post
    Nah, his stuff in the last few months of his run in 2010 was amazing.
    I missed most of it; I actually stopped watching a good amount of wrestling after Wrestlemania that year till the Nexus angle started. I've heard his work then was good though. At the very least, tonight was the best thing he's done since being back.

Definitely. Even his match w/ Ziggler, while nothing special, was at least worthy of tv.

Super Moderator
    I'm just watching his promo from Smackdown. "I love this business" could turn into the next "EXCUSE ME!" if they play their cards right.

That's good, but it's no DEAL WITH IT! See below.

Last edited by Cult Icon; 03-01-2014 at 07:28 PM.