Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Batista

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    True, but he was able to contribute a lot to the company before he left.
    Which goes back to another point I made about most guys being able to put on a good match with just about anyone. That includes Edge, but not Batista. Not trying to play devil's advocate here- I just honestly don't think you can compare Edge and Batista in the way you're trying to.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

It's not as big a deal as WWE would like to believe. Will Batista help out? Sure, but it seems to me like the WWE believes he's going to be able to help them the way The Rock did, and that's just not going to happen. The guy isn't known outside of wrestling; he's been in maybe two movies to this point that either weren't hits or he was too minor to be noticed. And Guardians of the Galaxy won't change that; Chris Pratt is clearly going to be made the man from that movie if it succeeds, and that's a big if. The Guardians of the Galaxy aren't major names in the comics books (not compared to some others at least) and the director James Gunn isn't a proven name by any stretch. The film could easily be a commercial and critical bomb. Either way, I don't see it really moving the meter for Batista.

Hylton
    I don't think WWE thinks that about Bats. I think they're happy to have him back but the build up they gave him proves that they knew getting some brand recognition behind him was a better option than just having him show up like Rock did.

EDIT: Shut up, Hylton.
    Last edited by Hylton; 01-27-2014 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Shut up Hylton

DBPanterA
    So, how does everyone feel now after watching the Rumble?

I find it amusing that Batista has now used social media (twitter) to belittle certain "Superstars" and traveled in his DeLorean post Rumble and was throwing middle fingers at the crowd like it was 2003.....

Fuck Dave Bautista.

Notice I used the legal spelling of his name. That's because I'm not mad at the character. Booking is Vince's call, and it's downright idiotic to get pissed at a superstar for a match result. Also, if WWE want to pay a 45 year old top tier money, then he'd be stupid to turn it down. After the Rumble, reports say he was arguing with fans and flipping them off.

Think about that: Batista, the planned top FACE for the biggest WrestleMania of all time, was acting like a complete douche OFF CAMERA.

This isn't the first time this has happened. The dude has no idea whatsoever about how to handle things not going as planned. Maybe having the consummate professional in John Cena as the man for so many years has spoiled me, but fuck it. I knew there was something I didn't like about him coming back, and now I know what it is.

Batista's behavior last night really did highlight how much more of a professional Cena is than him.

Goldberg Rules!

Sheik needs to break Batista's back, fuck his ass, and make him humble.

This would be the one thing that concerns me about WWE changing course (if that is in fact the plan); how would Batista react to it? I wouldn't doubt we'll eventually learn that the only reason he's even back is because WWE promised him the Mania main event and the title. If WWE is to change that to bring Bryan back into the spotlight, I reckon Batista isn't exactly going to react well to that.

So fucking what? The only way that the main event can't change is if the mania main event written in his contract, which I doubt. He might have a title run written in, but not where or when. If Bats doesn't like it, then quit again. If HHH and Vince are all about what is "best for business", Bryan is clearly that. Bats can and will help the product, but not in the title picture right now. Push the Batista storyline back to after WM, then it gives Bryan an opponent for after Mania, and can highlight Batista during his movie release over the summer.

Hell, I'd be perfectly fine with them finding a way to put the belt on Batista before 'Mania and having him defend against Daniel Bryan. My point is dude is severely ill-equipped to handle being a face in today's WWE when people are going to cheer/boo whoever they want to.

Even if the person they're cheering for has been dead for years.

Moveslikejagger
    The WWE should be worried. If they are leaning towards Batista vs Brock in the chamber, when they were in the ring together Monday, Lesnar was getting the face reaction.

Blunt Force Balls
    Batista too me right now appears hopelessly out of his depth. He was gassed at the Rumble before the countdown to the next guy started, and his promo last night was all over the place. At this rate the fans are either gonna solidly be behind Randy Orton at Wrestlemania, or they will shit all over the match- same with Del Rio if they go one on one at EC.

It's a combination of wrong place wrong time, awful booking, and Batista's own shortcomings. The problem in the title scene right now is that if you're not Daniel Bryan and you're going after the title, the fans don't support it. Batista walked in and in only 6 days became the number one contender after fans have watched Bryan scratch and claw to try and get his way back to being in contention. Of course this was going to happen. The WWE didn't do him any favors either; the best way to have gotten him over right away would've been to move towards a program with someone like Lesnar (a match fans want/wanted to see) or have kept him a surprise in the Rumble (where he certainly wouldn't have been booed). Hell, last night I felt he should've ran out to help Bryan with Sheamus; how you get Cena in that match after I don't know, but they needed to get Batista some cheers back and that would've been the way. I just look at everything WWE is doing with Batista now, and it's not working at all; the fact that he gives off the appearance of not caring at all about his craft (being gassed, although that's forgivable, and cutting these uninspired random promos) and has no clue how to react to the fans when they go negative hasn't helped.

The only thing they can do at this point I think is turn him heel, which he frankly already is. I don't see the crowd warming up to him, barring them having Batista save Bryan one of these next few weeks, and it's possible we could see him vs. Del Rio at EC and him vs. Orton at Mania both be shit on in ways that made the Rumble look like a Christmas party. The best course in my mind is a heel turn; but with factors like Guardians of the Galaxy on the horizon and Batista's contract (which who knows what it has in it), I'm skeptical.

Steamy Ray Vaughn
    The one thing that bothers me about Batista is his face, what the hell happened to his face? It's not just aging, it looks stretched out, like he had a face lift or something.

Goldberg Rules!
    Hence, Botoxta?

When I first saw him back, I almost thought he looked non human, like one of the replicants from Blade Runner or something. To your point though, Pen has been calling him Botoxta since he came back, so you might be on to something there.

Whatever the case, I think it just adds to the original point about Batista/Botoxta/Boretista or whatever you want to call him; everything is just totally off when it comes to him right now. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn a few years from now that he came back only because the WWE offered him a deal he couldn't refuse (big time salary, title reign, bigger platform to promote his film work). Time will tell, but the start has been terrible, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better in the near future.

Steamy Ray Vaughn
    I don't think that it helped him either by the way he was introduced. First segment on the show, with the Authority and Randy Orton, and with the hideous deformed goblin face. I used to like Batista, now I could care less. And I've just started watching WWE again after almost 2 years.

It's the perfect storm of things that could go wrong; he came in and took the spot of the most beloved wrestler in years, he gives the impression that he doesn't really care, he mocked fans after the Rumble with Bryan's chants (which is probably the worst thing anyone could've done in a situation like that), and there's been no reason given for us to cheer for him yet other than the fact that he's Batista and he was big a few years ago. Everything from Batista's own doing, to the creative direction and to the timing of his return has just been wrong. And it won't get better; if he faces Del Rio at the Chamber, they will shit on that match much like they did Cena/Orton and the Rumble. Ditto for Wrestlemania. And he likely won't get cheered many other places either, as Cleveland (despite being a mixed bag overall last night) had very little love for Batista.

Super Moderator
    The guy's 45. He's still jacked to the gills. I think, at that age, he's got the right to gain some weight somewhere.

He' just finally looking a little Filipino.

Goldberg Rules!
    Did he eat Ro?

Super Moderator
    Nah, not enough protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    It's a combination of wrong place wrong time, awful booking, and Batista's own shortcomings. The problem in the title scene right now is that if you're not Daniel Bryan and you're going after the title, the fans don't support it. Batista walked in and in only 6 days became the number one contender after fans have watched Bryan scratch and claw to try and get his way back to being in contention. Of course this was going to happen. The WWE didn't do him any favors either; the best way to have gotten him over right away would've been to move towards a program with someone like Lesnar (a match fans want/wanted to see) or have kept him a surprise in the Rumble (where he certainly wouldn't have been booed). Hell, last night I felt he should've ran out to help Bryan with Sheamus; how you get Cena in that match after I don't know, but they needed to get Batista some cheers back and that would've been the way. I just look at everything WWE is doing with Batista now, and it's not working at all; the fact that he gives off the appearance of not caring at all about his craft (being gassed, although that's forgivable, and cutting these uninspired random promos) and has no clue how to react to the fans when they go negative hasn't helped.

The only thing they can do at this point I think is turn him heel, which he frankly already is. I don't see the crowd warming up to him, barring them having Batista save Bryan one of these next few weeks, and it's possible we could see him vs. Del Rio at EC and him vs. Orton at Mania both be shit on in ways that made the Rumble look like a Christmas party. The best course in my mind is a heel turn; but with factors like Guardians of the Galaxy on the horizon and Batista's contract (which who knows what it has in it), I'm skeptical.
    So much of this is too true. Very well put.

Now, you just need to get over Sting vs Undertaker, and you will be acceptable to bring out in public.

Come on Pen, even if I did pull off that magic trick I wouldn't be acceptable to bring out in public. Not unless the public is craving wrestling nerds who is obsessed with gifs, memes and bad movies.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    So much of this is too true. Very well put.

Now, you just need to get over Sting vs Undertaker, and you will be acceptable to bring out in public.
    Come on Pen, even if I did pull off that magic trick I wouldn't be acceptable to bring out in public. Not unless the public is craving wrestling nerds who is obsessed with gifs, memes and bad movies.
    An FYI, from the main page:

PWInsider has confirmed reports that negotiations are ongoing between Sting and WWE. Word is that a decision must be made within the next 2 weeks on whether or not Sting is going to join the company.

Several factors are being worked out right now including scheduling and what Sting is and isn't willing to do creatively. This does not mean Sting is definitely coming to WWE and he could very well work another year with TNA but the impression has been given that Sting realizes if he's going to have a run with WWE, this is the time.

The impression was also given, within WWE, that there will not be a match against The Undertaker, at least at this year's WrestleMania event. However, the idea of Sting debuting at WrestleMania XXX with some kind of cameo or vignette has been discussed.

There's also a feeling that Sting is the face of WCW and with WWE promoting a lot of WCW content on the Network, he could be an asset there. Sting is considered a fresh, unique face when they are used to using people like Ric Flair and Diamond Dallas Page to promote their WCW projects.

While it was believed on Monday that no deal had been signed yet, RF Video's Rob Feinstein noted on Facebook this morning that he heard Sting signed a deal with WWE in the last 24 hours, for what it's worth.

So regardless of what you and I want Cult, it doesn't look like we are getting Sting vs Taker anyway. We might, but I doubt it.

I'm personally okay with that; I would've preferred to see Sting vs. Cena and Sheamus vs. Taker at Mania this year personally, I always just thought Taker-Sting would happen (it wouldn't have killed me to see it). This way though, he can be the big debut after Mania, have a nice year to establish himself and ride off into the sunset.

We really need a Sting thread. Powder, get the Sting thread up and running!

We really need a Sting thread. Powder, get the Sting thread up and running!
    Too late.

As for Batista, I hope they can salvage it somehow. But it is quite telling when a massive return like Dave's is ruined within a week because of a lack of push for another wrestler. That's really enormous.

I don't know if you can salvage it; the best way to do it would be to have him come to Bryan's aid in the next few weeks. As it's been shown with Cena, you put someone with Bryan and the crowd will be more sympathetic to you. The problem of course is they seem to be on two different paths, so I doubt they will interact. If they don't, it's pretty much over for Batista as a face; he'll either being going to crowds like Omaha who just won't react to him, or LA where they'll boo him out of the building.

The heel turn is the best option at this point. It's just a question of WWE being smart enough to do it, and Batista not letting his ego get in the way.

Steamy Ray Vaughn
    They should just turn Batista heel and find a way to add someone to the main event so it becomes a triple threat. Daniel Bryan is the obvious choice given how popular he is.

There's two roadblocks I see with a potential heel turn for Batista, despite the fact that the main page is reporting it may happen soon. One, he has that Guardians of the Galaxy movie coming out this summer. Now while I'm not as sold on it being a hit as others are here, the buzz going into it will be solid and WWE likely will want to use that. I'm not sure him being a heel during the promotion for that film will be a good thing, though I'm probably way off there.

The second thing is Batista's contract, which may in fact be the reason for all the problems right now. Now again, I could be wrong, but judging from what I've seen these first two weeks, it doesn't really seem like Batista wants to be there. The promos are lazy, he isn't in shape to compete, and his body language just screams that he wants to be a thousand miles away. I really wouldn't be shocked if the only reason he came back is because a) WWE offered him so much money that he couldn't refuse and b) he was promised a title run and a spot as the top face for awhile. With no other big name part timer coming in (keep in mind this is after Rock, Goldberg and Austin both said no and WWE had no idea that Sting, who arguably isn't on Batista's level, would be available), Batista would've been in a position of strength in negotiations and likely could've gotten Vince and Triple H to sign off on that. If WWE were to turn him now, I wouldn't doubt Batista's ego kicks into high gear, and he becomes a problem backstage.

Steamy Ray Vaughn
    I agree that he seems to not want to be there. Maybe it's also ring rust that lead to him being blown up so bad at Royal Rumble, and I think he has trouble dealing with the mixed reaction. His ego is probably butt-hurt. As for his movie, summer is a long ways away, right now Wrestlemania is right around the corner and if the plan truly is to go Batista vs. Orton, that match will get shit on worse than Golberg vs. Brock Lesnar.

bdi
    Quote Originally Posted by DBPanterA View Post
    So, how does everyone feel now after watching the Rumble?

I find it amusing that Batista has now used social media (twitter) to belittle certain "Superstars" and traveled in his DeLorean post Rumble and was throwing middle fingers at the crowd like it was 2003.....
    I watched that just to see if there was some merit to the backlash. After that guy's leaky faucet impersonation, I get the annoyance at his 'arrival'. Gotta give Randy Orton credit though, he worked the crowd well. The match was quite boring to me, but him and Cena got cues from the audience and moved. When Orton is the more mature (versus Bautista's lame performance), that should be glaring.

Hylton
    I never felt Batista really knew how to deal with boos as a face.

Also, am I the only one who thought his old music was more badass?

I liked his old music better too.

Batista looks like a guy who didn't train at all for his return.. Like "I'm in shape for this movie, I'm going to WWE for one last run."

Hylton
    I'm sure he'll get back there. When he's a heel. Be heel, Batista.

bdi
    I'm sure he'll get back there.
    Why should he? This smells like placeholder publicity, not long-term planning.

Super Moderator
    Let's keep in mind that we've seen him wrestle one Royal Rumble since returning.

He gassed there, you're darn right. There's a reason that Rock came back at Survivor Series before Mania. You're going to gas your first time back out there, especially after five years off. You can come back thinking you're in the best shape of your life, only to get into the ring and know that you have a little ways more to go. Rocky came back at Survivor Series knowing full well that it'd be a smaller PPV with enough time in between that and Mania just in case his wind was the absolute shits and he needed to do a ton more work.

He'll have had a month longer to train by Chamber, and six weeks more than that by Mania.

I'm interested to see how Batista's style changes compared to his last run. Is he going to incorporate more of an MMA style?

Coach, I understand your positivity towards Batista but I don't think anything is really going to help. He still doesn't appear, at least to me, like he really cares about being there, and the WWE's attempt to force Batista on the fans (the video promo during the commercial last week, the youtube clips, saving Ziggler and trying to put him against The Authority) will turn more people off than help him. The only pop I've heard him get since his initial one was the table spot last night, and everyone generally pops for that spot; before that they were still booing him in the arena.

I won't doubt that he may get into some sort of in ring shape, but unless they pull a rabbit out of their hats, I don't see how WWE is going to get anyone to care for Batista-Del Rio or Batista-Orton at Wrestlemania.

Has Batista been on the house show circuit? Wasn't that part of his comeback?

One would think he'd at least start warming up with house show matches prior to Mania, as Undertaker used to do.

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I'm sure he'll get back there. When he's a heel. Be heel, Batista.
    pretty much, "It's all about ME" Batista was what he was really good at. Him being a savior doesn't make sense in anything he does on camera.