Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 74 of 74

Thread: Ronda Rousey Thread

  1. #41
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    The Charlotte match was actual trash. It was a well wrestled match that had no character, little logical storytelling (Natalya's finisher is a sharpshooter which hurts the back, Charlotte's is a front flip cutter, so why spend the whole match working the legs?), Natalya having no concept of how to apply a figure four, and that went too long because neither of them knows when to take it home or how to play to the crowd. It's pretty much the worst women's Takeover match by some way. Don't believe the critics, because it's nowhere near as good as the knee jerk reactions had it.

    She can wrestle, but she cannot carry the storytelling, personality, or crowd connection side of a match at all, and that means she cannot have good matches.

    Charlotte - same thing. Have you ever seen Charlotte have a good match with someone who isn't Sasha Banks, Bayley, or Becky Lynch? You won't have done because those are the only three people on the whole roster capable of getting something watchable out of her. Why? Because they bump like crazy for her and make her look good.

    Seriously, if Rousey isn't actually working with the people who train wrestlers, there's no hope in my opinion. Training is very, very different to being good at doing something.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    Natalya has been a stain on the divas/women's division ever since she joined it. She gets by on her name and that's it. Zero memorable matches when it comes to her ringwork. I remember the match with Bret and Ric at ringside, but that's because Bret and Ric were at ringside.

    I like Charlotte, although I'm not sure she should be training anyone.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post

    Seriously, if Rousey isn't actually working with the people who train wrestlers, there's no hope in my opinion. Training is very, very different to being good at doing something.
    That's why Nattie might be able to help. You said it yourself, training is indeed different and maybe she wants to be a trainer when she's done... Regardless, I don't think Ronda is going to fail because she's been rolling around with Nattie and Charlotte. I'm sure she's gotten advice from everyone at the PC and i figure with her athletic ability, she'll pick up things quickly.

  4. #44
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    I remember really liking that Charlotte/Natalya match at the time, but I don't think I've seen it since. May have to go give it another look at some point. I do want to say, I always thought the Sharpshooter hurt the legs too, since it's basically an upside down Figure 4.

  5. #45
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    The strain in a sharpshooter is legitimately on the back, but it's one of those moves where they put over the strain on the legs, too. Bret used to use his backbreakers and whatnot, but he also use to focus on the legs.

    It's one of those wrestling things like how rolling over a figure four reverses the move, when it actually just puts more of your own weight on the opponent's leg that's barring your knee.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    The Charlotte match was actual trash. It was a well wrestled match that had no character, little logical storytelling (Natalya's finisher is a sharpshooter which hurts the back, Charlotte's is a front flip cutter, so why spend the whole match working the legs?), Natalya having no concept of how to apply a figure four, and that went too long because neither of them knows when to take it home or how to play to the crowd. It's pretty much the worst women's Takeover match by some way. Don't believe the critics, because it's nowhere near as good as the knee jerk reactions had it.

    She can wrestle, but she cannot carry the storytelling, personality, or crowd connection side of a match at all, and that means she cannot have good matches.

    Charlotte - same thing. Have you ever seen Charlotte have a good match with someone who isn't Sasha Banks, Bayley, or Becky Lynch? You won't have done because those are the only three people on the whole roster capable of getting something watchable out of her. Why? Because they bump like crazy for her and make her look good.

    Seriously, if Rousey isn't actually working with the people who train wrestlers, there's no hope in my opinion. Training is very, very different to being good at doing something.
    To each his own, as far as match quality goes, but Nattie still enjoys the confidence of basically all the people in the female lockerroom, as far as working and ability goes. And she's been praised for it by all sorts of great wrestlers, so there's something there.

    Do you seriously think you know better about training wrestlers than HHH, and the people at the Performance center? This is a personal project of HHH that he's been working at, on and off as he mentioned, for years. He's deeply invested in this, hands on, and is advising Rousey how to do this, and he's the one who hooked her up with the training. If he thinks Nattie, Becky and Charlotte are what's needed to train Rousey, that's good enough for me. HHH has been overseeing all of the training in the performance center, the males, the females, and knows the trainers intimately. That includes Regal, Fit Finlay (though he no longer works for the WWE, iirc, he was very highly regarded for his managing and training of the female wrestlers), Sara Del Ray, etc. So I trust his judgment on this matter at least, unless I'm provided with strong evidence that he's wrong, or a counter-expert opinion (ie, someone else that has trained female wrestlers).

    This possibly a 5-10 million dollar/year project for the WWE. You can be sure that they're sparing no expense in making sure Rousey is matched with the very best resources they have for this.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    From the main page:

    “There's been a lot of attention given to the number of YouTube views that Rey Mysterio and Ronda Rousey's Royal Rumble appearances have received. As of this writing, the video of Rousey's debut has 2.3 million views while the video of Rey's return has 6.5 million views. Rey's post-show interview has 1.2 million views while Rousey's post-show interview has 641,000 views.”

    I don’t know what it means but Rey’s popularity among wrestling fans is impressive.

  8. #48
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has looked at Rey's numbers. In the 00s, Rey was consistently the clear #2 draw and merch mover in WWE, with only Cena being ahead of him. His presence on shows meant more to attendance and viewership than guys like Batista, Edge, sometimes even Taker and HBK. He's beloved by kids and has the latino demographic locked up in a way others could only dream of. Not honestly surprised he's lapping Rousey in terms of views.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    Rousey's appearance was also sent to other sites like ESPN so you don't just have to see it on WWE's youtube channel. Rey's 6 million after one day though is really impressive and it should have WWE begging him back just so they can make more merch off of him.

  10. #50
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    I wonder if she'll actually be any good.



    @lopprimetime

  11. #51
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Probably depends on how much work she's willing to put in. People from other sports/fields transitioning to wrestling has run the full gamut over the years, from awful to excellent.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    Its the only reason why working with Steph is a good thing imo because in that, very few people are gonna judge Ronda by match quality and she doesn't hurt the full time girls by squashing or get exposed by trying to have a good match. At the same time, If she's not working a heavy schedule, she will have a hard time improving. She isn't Brock Lesnar who had already put years in as a wrestler and is legit a fantastic seller even with his shortcomings currently.

  13. #53
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    If only I trusted Steph to work the feud as a chicken shit heel, I would actually be kind of excited about the prospect. I can't shake the image of Shane McMahon out wrestling all his opponents though...

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    To be fair, Shane is a little different to Steph. In that, he has the athletic ability to make the appearance of actually being a competent wrestler. True, Steph beat Brie in a match but Brie is not Ronda and last time Ronda was in the ring with Steph, she punked her out.

  15. #55
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    To be fair, Shane is a little different to Steph. In that, he has the athletic ability to make the appearance of actually being a competent wrestler.
    I consider this debatable, but I do take your point.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    To be fair, Shane is a little different to Steph. In that, he has the athletic ability to make the appearance of actually being a competent wrestler. True, Steph beat Brie in a match but Brie is not Ronda and last time Ronda was in the ring with Steph, she punked her out.
    Steph did only really beat Brie because of the Triple H and Nikki interference, though. Although there was a good portion of the match where she was on top, I guess.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    I'm just thinking that since Ronda ls likely on a limited schedule and very green that you're not gonna have her do much selling for Steph..Especially if its a tag match. Steph has never been presented as someone's equal in the ring and it would make no sense with Ronda when they consider her legit background.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Steph did only really beat Brie because of the Triple H and Nikki interference, though. Although there was a good portion of the match where she was on top, I guess.
    Not to mention her women's championship win back in 2000 was due to DX interference.

  19. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Barbarian’s house
    Posts
    18
    Man...you’d have to go all the way back to Shamrock and Severen to find an MMA crossover talent that was any good in North America as there were some inJapan.

  20. #60
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Matt Riddle and Shayna Baszler might disagree with you there, Tommy.

  21. #61
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    Is Lesnar discounted from the MMA crossover discussions?

  22. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    Well Brock started out as a wrestler, not the other way around.. (I know Shamrock did some before UFC) Rousey is a fan and athletic where if she puts the work in.... she's not gonna be the dirt worst wrestler. its all about how quickly she adapts. if she has a light schedule though.. That worries me because you need to be in the ring working to get better. Can't wrestle 10 times a year when you're a new and be great.

  23. #63
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Yeah, the best thing for her if she really wants to get good is going to be working a heavier schedule. No idea if that's likely or not though.

  24. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    And working at the PC isn't the same thing. She could get it mechicaniaclly.. But not working in front of crowds limits her ability to connect with the audience.

  25. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    35
    She’ll be successful in translating.

  26. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    And working at the PC isn't the same thing. She could get it mechicaniaclly.. But not working in front of crowds limits her ability to connect with the audience.
    This. She's a reasonably decent athlete and in good enough shape that she'll probably be able to execute whatever her moveset is (unless she decides to choose unrealistic moves, or outlandishly athletic moves). But she could very well still completely bomb because she doesn't understand the crowd psychology aspect of it, or the psychology or flow of the match itself, which isn't really something that can be picked up as easily as the mechanics.

  27. #67
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    So the rumour mill is that WWE is still planning Rousey and a partner Vs Triple H and Stephanie for Mania.

    Names in the frame for the partner are The Rock (who remains the first and most obvious choice), Kurt Angle (which would make sense given Survivor Series), Shane McMahon (which, you know, rain gonna fall, grass gonna grow, McMahons gonna be against McMahons), or Seth Rollins.

    If you're curious, the same story is suggesting Jax Vs Bliss for the Raw title and Asuka Vs Charlotte for the Smackdown one. Which is curious in and of itself, given the plans for Elimination Chamber.

  28. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    My original guess (assuming no Rock) was Angle. It really could be Rollins though now since he has absolutely nothing lined up.

  29. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    I think its probably Angle because Rollins is not a big enough star for the match... (going from Rock all the way to Rollins) plus the Triple H story for Rollins is done. I always assumed that Angle's last match would be at Mania and it would make sense to put him in the tag, have it be like he signs Ronda and then there's an issue with Steph. if Ronda/Angle wins, Angle keeps his job that sorta thing.

  30. #70
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    I'd much rather see Rollins in the spot, but if they HAVE to use Angle, a tag is much better than some kind of singles match.

  31. #71
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I think its probably Angle because Rollins is not a big enough star for the match... (going from Rock all the way to Rollins) plus the Triple H story for Rollins is done. I always assumed that Angle's last match would be at Mania and it would make sense to put him in the tag, have it be like he signs Ronda and then there's an issue with Steph. if Ronda/Angle wins, Angle keeps his job that sorta thing.
    That's how I pretty much saw it. I figure we'll cement things at Elimination Chamber.

  32. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    Well Rollins isn't winning the chamber match and the signing of Rousey could just be a contract signing.. but yeah post EC raw we should have a good idea where Raw is going. I don't think they'll hold off that side of the card until after the SD PPV either.

  33. #73
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Nothing is WWE is 'just' a contract signing! I'm expecting at least one person to go through the table and/or be stabbed with the pen by the end of the segment.

  34. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    So the rumour mill is that WWE is still planning Rousey and a partner Vs Triple H and Stephanie for Mania.

    Names in the frame for the partner are The Rock (who remains the first and most obvious choice), Kurt Angle (which would make sense given Survivor Series), Shane McMahon (which, you know, rain gonna fall, grass gonna grow, McMahons gonna be against McMahons), or Seth Rollins.

    If you're curious, the same story is suggesting Jax Vs Bliss for the Raw title and Asuka Vs Charlotte for the Smackdown one. Which is curious in and of itself, given the plans for Elimination Chamber.
    So gonna assume that stupid rumour of Braun v Miz is still on the cards then? Would much rather Braun as Ronda's partner over any of those other rumoured people.

    And to your last point, really? Would assume those matches would be the most logical. I mean, still annoys the hell out of me that Asuka has already beaten Bliss and yet wasn't given a title match. Not really sure what the logic was behind that. Defeat the champ, you get a title shot. The way it works. All Asuka needs to say is she's already beaten Bliss before and if she wants the title handed to her she'd have picked Bliss and so she picks Charlotte. I find it quite hilarious though that Sasha, Bayley and Becky are going to be the odd women out. Wouldn't have thought that would be the case a year or so back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •