Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ronda Rousey Thread

Ronda Rousey Thread

So, might as well get this thread started. Ronda made her debut after the women's rumble match and is apparently going to be signed for multiple years and it sounds like she's working more than just part time. What do you think the future holds for Rousey in WWE?

Rousey is clearly going to face Charlotte at Mania and win the title there. But since Charlotte is a face, is she going to turn heel for the feud?

Or they go ahead with the tag match from years ago with Rock that never happened. I think it's way too early to be putting the title on Rousey.

The Rock isn't free for Mania, is he? Thought he was shooting movies or Ballers or whatever, and couldn't get covered on insurance.

I honestly think the reason why Rousey only tried to shake Asuka's hand is that the match they want to build is those two against each other. Any build for Rousey vs Charlotte or Bliss is only a gateway to get to Asuka vs Rousey.

Everything up in the air right now. I almost wouldn't be surprised to see them hotshot Asuka vs Rousey for Elimination Chamber with the title shot on the line in a way, just because then they've done it at the earliest possible opportunity. It would be the wrong decision, almost entirely, but it's something I could certainly see happening.

They'd be best to keep her out of the title picture for right now. In fact, they'd be best off sending her to NXT to, you know, learn to wrestle properly and where there's less pressure.

She has been training at the performance center for awhile now. Now that she's here, I think the the benefit is more focus on the division and making matchups to build up to a Ronda match helps the brand.. There's no legends for Ronda to wrestle, at least no one that would do it. If Trish was going to do it, she would have won.. so you have to build up your current talent to prop up a potential match. You already have Charlotte, Asuka and and maybe Sasha to do a match but they can always get better focus.

Also intrigued by how much we'll see Ronda. She makes it sound like she's not gonna do a ton of movies but i don't think she's doing the house show loop so will she be around more than Brock?

Main page is reporting on a Mixed tag match with HHH and Steph vs Rousey and ???? Trying to get the Rock, but I doubt insurance will allow it to happen.

Rumors are still a mixed tag match for Wrestlemania which really does make the most sense at this point as she can continue to train without looking lost against more highly-skilled performers. If it's not the Rock, I wonder who her partner would be. Angle?

With the Rollins vs Jordan angle picking up, we will most likely get a Mania match between them. Sigh, so Angle teaming with Rousey makes a lot of sense.

I just think they would have dropped a hint that Rousey is facing Steph but she shook her hand instead... so i take all rumors with a grain of salt for now. I think the Charlotte match is still likely cause they have to do a Raw title match and I don't think they want Alexa/Nia

Braun/Ronda vs HHH/Steph? They've already sewn a seed for Braun/HHH. I keep forgetting it.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. One thing that gives the mixed tag merit is I don't see Triple H taking this mania off.

The Brain
    I know some people didn't like it, but I really appreciate that she came in AFTER the Rumble, and not during it. I have no problem with her coming in, but that kind of presence in the match would have really pulled focus from what it was supposed to be about I think.

I totally agree. Does it upstage Asuka? Sure but if she was in it, the match goes whole different way, it probably becomes more about Steph cause they couldn't trust Rousey to look good against other women so something like Steph ends up elimnating someone and Rousey would have dumped her. Which would have really hurt the match imo.

The Brain
    I think people are exaggerating how much it upstaged Asuka too. Ronda interacted with her and even got dissed by her. It's not like ESPN was going to be running Asuka as their main headline if Rousey wasn't there anyway.

Yeah, i think the whole thing with Charlotte and Alexa was kinda dumb though. I would have rather had Asuka about to announce who she's picking, and then had the Rousey music hit.

Except it still really hurts the match because the monumental Women's Royal Rumble and its inaugural winner are today being completely overshadowed by what happened after. You can say it's not as bad as if Rousey had been in it and won, but that's like comparing D2: The Mighty Ducks to D3: The Mighty Ducks. Just because D2 is a little less mediocre than D3 doesn't mean it suddenly isn't mediocre. And turning a moment that should be a big deal into an afterthought so you can give Rousey her moment is at the very least mediocre booking.

At the end of the day, if you're going to roll out Rousey this week, you either have to have her in the match or you have to have her debut tonight on RAW. Her being a surprise in the match, like it or not, would've moved the needle to a degree because she's a significantly bigger star than anyone else on the roster, even with her loss of star power. Her coming out at the end of RAW tonight would've moved the needle and, if they are truly doing Steph-Rousey, would've taken that segment away from everything else and put it on its own island, where it belongs. Those were the right ways to go. Instead they leave their biggest star out of the Rumble, only to bring her out afterwards to immediately steal the spotlight away from the match and the winner when they could've easily done the same segment tonight without doing that. There was a better way to do it and they couldn't figure it out.

The Brain
    Yeah, they were sort of going that way but the timing could have been a bit better.

Do we think Rousey's first match will be at 'Mania? That kind of makes sense in terms of hype but it's weird to get to some kind of mixed tag thing without having some kind of match first. I honestly wouldn't be mad if they ran Asuka/Rousey in some shape or form and did a non-finish to set up whatever her 'Mania match is going to be. If she really is headed for Steph (which I'm ok with, as long as it's a slaughter on Ronda's side), then I guess Steph could interfere in her overbearing division mom role, trying to exclude Ronda for not being a "real" wrestler even though Ronda is putting in the effort to be full time (reportedly). That doesn't really make sense with Steph's "best for business" but I could see making it work in a pinch. I'm not sure what other reason they would have for mixing it up, if that rumor does indeed pan out.

its weird though when you have Steph shaking Ronda's hand like their pals when the rumor is for the mixed tag. I figure we get a clear direction tonight. They only have a few weeks to build up chamber show. Not that Ronda is on that, but they have to decide with the Raw division tonight.

The Brain
    I also thought it was a little weird that Steph was so hesitant to shake her hand. I mean, surely Steph is the kayfabe person who signed Ronda in the first place? So why act weird to her? Maybe it will be explained, maybe not.

Cole even made mention of that! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU HAVE NO IDEA STEPH????? lmao... that was pretty dumb.

The Brain
    I'm not going to lie, I switched over to Spanish commentary for the women's Rumble. It's not even that I thought Steph was doing that bad a job, her voice just grates on me. Sounds pretty dumb though!

I mean i guess they could say Vince signed her but Steph would have to more upset you would think.. Ronda did punk her out at Mania.. Also, Steph wasn't bad on commentary, just bland. Could have been alot worse.

The Brain
    Yeah, what little I heard wasn't really bad in terms of content. I just don't think her voice isn't very well suited for the role.

I know this is the Rousey thread but I can't believe you're all just going to sit here and let Cult diss two of the three movies from the greatest cinematic trilogy of all time.

The Brain
    I have never seen a Mighty Ducks movie, and also I disagree with Cult's line of thinking even though I understand where he's coming from.

I'm used to Cult's bad opinions so for him to slander Mighty ducks I just had to let it slide.

Love ya Cult!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I know this is the Rousey thread but I can't believe you're all just going to sit here and let Cult diss two of the three movies from the greatest cinematic trilogy of all time.
    I don't recall insulting any of the Lord of the Rings movies when making my point. Well I would've insulted that Hobbit trash but I don't count those.

Love ya too Lazyking!

It's Rhonda Rousey. Not Brock Lesnar. As much as I thought she'd win the Rumble and go on to face Charlotte, you take a step back and it's laughable to even think she'll be facing Charlotte, Asuka or Bliss at Mania. Completely laughable. Has train wreck written all over it. She's never wrestled in her life. She may have been training but it doesn't mean she'll be even able to wrestle at the caliber that is needed as a champion. Steph "didn't" know she was signed. So the most logical way this plays out is neither did H and it was either Vince or Kurt who went and signed her. Which will lead to H and Steph vs Rousey and Kurt/Braun/Rock. It's way too early to even put her in a match against Asuka. It could be terrible. And you can't have her first match end in some screwy fashion. She can't beat Asuka and Asuka can't beat her. And my biggest gripe with Asuka winning was she already beat Bliss. She should already have a championship match against her. And that's not being talked about. So she'll challenge Charlotte. Bliss will get Nia. And it leave Rousey the tag match to slowly develop. It's what is truly best for everyone involved.

It's a celebrity-athlete match. It doesn't need to be 5 stars, it just needs to be believable, and her star power can *probably* cover for the rest. Given her legitimate athletic, combat sports record, very few people aren't going to think it isn't credible. Just like Mayweather/Show. Of course, it *is* a risk, it could end up being totally awful and embarrassing but that's life and that's wrestling. It's about taking chances, as it always has been. She's young, isn't knocked up with injuries, obviously has athletic ability, and is committed to this, so there's a good chance that with a seasoned and expert worker like Asuka, she can be carried to something passable. God knows there's a dozen pre-women's revolution girls on the roster who suck (Dana, Lana, Nia, one of the Paige stable girls) who had to be worked around by the 'good' workers (Charlotte, Sasha, Becky, etc.) It's not unreasonable to think that she may be no worse than Ken Shamrock was in the 90's. He was also another MMA star, nowhere near of Rousey's reknown, who they let mix up all the top stars of the era (Austin, Taker, Rock, etc.). She has been training for years on and off, and full-time since last summer, for this. Time will tell, but I am not yet convinced that it will be awful. It could be, though, just like her acting abilities ended up being super poor and questionable, which is why she ended up losing quite a few movies, but we'll see.

Yea, I was listening to a podcast review show today featuring Matt Morgan and I couldn't believe how awful their takes were regarding Rousey. Really makes me miss Live Audio Wrestling.

As Eddieg said, I think we're heading towards Charlotte/Asuka, Nia/Alexa, and some sort of Steph/Rousey showdown in a mixed tag and that any talk of how Rousey is going "stealing the spotlight" from the rest of the division is absurd. I do think, over time, they're going to try to get Rousey involved in some actual matches against some actual wrestlers - but they have 2 months till she has to perform in a limited role at Mania and then another 4 months for what I expect will be some sort of match (maybe another tag or 6-man) at SummerSlam. She's a fan, she's a world class combat athlete, I think she's driven by a fear of failure (her brand really can't suffer enough embarrassment like flopping in the WWE)...all those things have me hopeful that she'll be ready for a singles match in 9 months or so and, with the right booking, it will have a "big fight feel."
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

Just saw a summary of Meltzer's review of the Rousey thing:

- It is a multi-year deal.

- Rousey has been training since the summer with Natalya, Charlotte and Becky. All of them seem to like her, and credit her (correctly) for the whole 'women's revolution' in the WWE because of her phoenomenal success in the UFC proving that women can draw (which is where Stephanie and HHH initially got the idea many years ago that WWE was horrendously behind the curve on their women's wrestling; they've publicly credited Rousey for this)

- The WWE seems to have done this with the fact that this is their contract year for TV rights fees in mind. Simply having Rousey there will greatly help them with negotiations, for having a proven draw/celebrity of her stature as a regular on their programming and they've already gotten a lot of coverage, and will probably peak at WM. He says outright that regardless of how this Rousey thing ends up, they'll get a lot more out of her than they're paying her, simply vis a vis the TV rights thing.

- Speculates that she'll be paid Brock money, if not more. She does have other projects where 'she could make way more, including UFC, and thus won't work cheap.' Notes that she's a far bigger mainstream celebrity than Brock ever was (not that we needed to be reminded of this), and says that they've never gotten as big a star as this from the outside as a full-time performer on their roster.

- Calls it a 'real coup' in terms of purely the mainstream publicity and the rights fees.

Unsurprisingly, Meltzer has the best business analysis on this.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-29-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    It's a celebrity-athlete match. It doesn't need to be 5 stars, it just needs to be believable, and her star power can *probably* cover for the rest. Given her legitimate athletic, combat sports record, very few people aren't going to think it isn't credible. Just like Mayweather/Show. Of course, it *is* a risk, it could end up being totally awful and embarrassing but that's life and that's wrestling. It's about taking chances, as it always has been. She's young, isn't knocked up with injuries, obviously has athletic ability, and is committed to this, so there's a good chance that with a seasoned and expert worker like Asuka, she can be carried to something passable. God knows there's a dozen pre-women's revolution girls on the roster who suck (Dana, Lana, Nia, one of the Paige stable girls) who had to be worked around by the 'good' workers (Charlotte, Sasha, Becky, etc.) It's not unreasonable to think that she may be no worse than Ken Shamrock was in the 90's. He was also another MMA star, nowhere near of Rousey's reknown, who they let mix up all the top stars of the era (Austin, Taker, Rock, etc.). She has been training for years on and off, and full-time since last summer, for this. Time will tell, but I am not yet convinced that it will be awful. It could be, though, just like her acting abilities ended up being super poor and questionable, which is why she ended up losing quite a few movies, but we'll see.
    That is where you might not have all the facts. Shamrock was wrestling long before he made his WWE AND UFC debut. Shamrock was wrestling since 1989 and was wrestling for a few years prior to getting into real fighting in 1992.

Shamrock was basically the number one MMA guy in the world when WWE got him. Less renowned only because MMA itself was less renowned.

Training with Natalya, who has pretty much never had a good WWE match, and Charlotte, who's had multiple carry jobs executed on her, isn't really that promising. She needs to get working with Del Rey and those who have actual training experience in the PC.

I'm surprised with as good as they get along H hasn't taken her under his belt and tried to train her. Granted he probably is quite busy. Could have got his best buddy in the world to do it. Isn't he down there training? But female wise as Oli said really surprised Del Ray hasn't been training her. Is Finlay still training?

Good Grodd, keep HHH away from her. She'll be stuck trying to do "epic" matches that always disappoint for the rest of her career unless Shawn Michaels is involved!

I would pay to watch Rousey Vs Michaels, mind!

Oli, you'd pay to watch LA Park and myself duel with chairs with Mortensen being the biased referee against me. Your point is invalid!

Would be the biggest swerve of all time when I turned on Park and hit him in the head.

Squared
    Training with Natalya, who has pretty much never had a good WWE match, and Charlotte, who's had multiple carry jobs executed on her, isn't really that promising. She needs to get working with Del Rey and those who have actual training experience in the PC.
    If it makes it less ominous for you, for years people in and around the company said that the only woman with better skills at wrestling than a lot of the men was Natalya. Since then I have seen a few people add Asuka to that but it's basically just the two of them. Amato would still be the best bet but Nattie isn't as far out of left field as you might think.

@lopprimetime

Shamrock was basically the number one MMA guy in the world when WWE got him. Less renowned only because MMA itself was less renowned.

What? Natalya has been regarded as the best female workers in the company for years, basically ever since she came. Not just by fans, but by people within the company too. I don't know where you're getting this 'never had a good match' stuff. She has had good matches, despite not being given the time that the other women often get, and being placed into demeaning storylines. Even before the 'women's revolution' when basically the entire division sucked, she had matches with AJ Lee and Charlotte (the famous one with Flair and Hart at ringside) that people were raving about.

Charlotte is a good wrestler in her own right. She was very green when she started getting push, but she has improved. She's no female Ric Flair, but she's good.

I have little doubt that HHH probably advised and arranged for her to be trained by these people.

---------
    That is where you might not have all the facts. Shamrock was wrestling long before he made his WWE AND UFC debut. Shamrock was wrestling since 1989 and was wrestling for a few years prior to getting into real fighting in 1992.
    Fair enough. I knew he had trained, but I didn't know he had done any extensive wrestling before 1997, but I'll take your word for it.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-30-2018 at 10:09 AM.