View Poll Results: What was the Japanese match of the 1990s?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Naoki Sano - 31/1/90

0 0%
  • Hase and Sasaki vs. Steiner Brothers - Starrcade in Tokyo

0 0%
  • Kobashi and Kikuchi vs. Furnas and Kroffat - 25/5/92

1 33.33%
  • Toyota and Yamada vs. Kansai and Ozaki - Dream Slam II

0 0%
  • Manami Toyota vs. Kyoko Inoue - 7/5/95

0 0%
  • Misawa and Akiyama vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace - 7/6/96

1 33.33%
  • Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa - 31/10/98

0 0%
  • Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa - 11/6/99

0 0%
  • Other (Specify below)

1 33.33%

Thread: Japanese match of the 1990s

Squared

Japanese match of the 1990s

Alright, so let's have a poll - what was the best Japanese match of the decade of the 1990s?

I've used the Japanese matches to win Meltzer's match of the year as the poll options, but as always make good use of the 'other' option if you don't agree with Big Dave...

@lopprimetime

OK, from the list you've given their Prime I've plumped for the Misawa/Akiyama vs Williams/Ace match. I bloody love that.

But! As with all these things there's always a but!

Some of my favourite matches aren't listed, and whilst I've plumped for one rather than go for other (simply because to go for other would result in a huge list of possible options), here's a bunch of others plus links where I can find them:

Misawa vs Tsuruta from AJPW Super Power Series, 1990 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMQi6B7WuA
    Liger vs El Samurai - 30th April 1992 - https://www.bilibili.com/video/av12495536/
    Ace/Williams vs Kobashi/Misawa - 4th March 1995 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-HSPzieoDk
    Kanemoto vs El Samurai - BOSJ 1997 - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26n9du
    Otani vs Liger - NJPW Fighting Spirit, Feb 1997 - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dgi4l

I imagine I could add to that, but it'll do for now!

The Brain
    By and large I go in for the Joshi stuff, but just edging those out is the bloody brilliant Holy Demon Army/Misawa & Kobashi tag from 12/3/93 AJPW, which is the peak of the 4 pillars to me.

isn't there a Misawa/Kawada match that Meltz rated 5 stars in 1994?

The Brain
    The 6/3/94 match between them has been retroactively labeled six stars actually. If I recall the story right, at the time Meltzer said in his review "a million stars" and people just assumed it was hyperbole for 5 stars, but supposedly he actually meant six.

It's a truly great match, but it's not even my favorite Japanese match of '94 when I get down to it. That'd be Aja Kong vs. Dynamite Kansai from 11/20/94.

The answer is, and will forever be, Kobashi/Kikuchi vs. The Can-Am Express. The greatest tag team match of all time, the greatest crowd of all time (aside from Allstate Arena in 2011), and the greatest call for a DDT of all time. I still hear that in my dreams; DDTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada Vs. Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa

The Brain
    But which one, Eddie?

Cult, I do love that match. I should really give it a rewatch, haven't seen it in years!

I watch it at least once a month. Probably my favorite match of all time, right there with Atlantis-Villano III and Punk-Cena MITB 2011.

The Brain
    I so rarely rewatch anything. There's just so much new stuff to watch! I do need to cycle back to some of that early 90s AJPW stuff eventually though. My favorite stuff from that company, the late 90s stuff gets too head-droppy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    But which one, Eddie?

Cult, I do love that match. I should really give it a rewatch, haven't seen it in years!
    Well seeing as their match from June is the greatest tag match of all time and blows Cult's choice out of the water I'm gonna have to go with the June matchup.

The Brain
    Ah, but I prefer the '93 match. The nice thing is it's really hard to go wrong with those four!

There were couple of Vadar vs Mishawaka matches that till this day still ranks as some of the best ever matches I watched.
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobWrestledGod View Post
    There were couple of Vadar vs Mishawaka matches that till this day still ranks as some of the best ever matches I watched.
    Trying to place the name. Or do you mean Misawa? Or maybe Nobuhiko Takada? He had great matches with both!

Misawa....
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

The Brain
    Nice! A lot of people consider Vader to be on the decline by the late 90s, but damn he is still amazing to watch in my eyes. One of the best ever. I think my favorite Japanese Vader match is with Bigelow against Keiji Mutoh & Hiroshi Hase in '92. Amazingly good stuff.