Thread: Brian Cage

Squared

Brian Cage

Just read that Brian Cage, formerly of LU, FCW, AAA, NOAH and some other places, has recently debuted in Impact, in what I imagine is the first real roster addition for the new regime of D'Amore and Callis.

Can't say I know too much of his work. Do people think this is the kind of addition who can get over and maybe get some people to pay attention to Impact again?

@lopprimetime

I think he can get over, but I'm not sure he's really going to 'move the needle' so to speak.

Cage is great, an absolutely tremendous performer, but I just can't see him having the name value, or really the depth of work, to pull in viewers with him.

First of all, Cage is not formerly of Lucha Underground. He will be back for season four. LU's contracts these days have been changed so that they allow guys to work wherever when LU isn't taping, which has allowed Cage, Mundo, Taya and the works to get shots at Impact. They'll be able to work both, so you will be seeing the Machine in the Temple when LU starts up again in February.

Whether he'll move the needle or not I don't know. I do know that Cage is an absolute marvel. He can do big move matches, he can do power matches, he can do brawls, he can do technical bouts and yes, he can even fly with the best of them (the look ain't bad either). A good chunk of LU's best matches involve him and he had a borderline match of the year contender in Pro Wrestling NOAH last year with Katsuhiko Nakajima. The only question is whether he's improved on the mic or not; he was solid in LU with the backstage stuff, but put a mic in his hands and it could get awkward. If he's improved there, sky's the limit for him, and even if he hasn't it may be anyway. He's that good in the ring.

Squared
    My mistake, I saw former in a news story but I'd just glossed it. It was in reference to him holding a title.

That's the thing isn't it, it's not about whether he moves the needle straight away because very few people will do that for Impact now. But it's about potential, and how far he can develop into someone who can catch on.

@lopprimetime

One would think WWE would be drooling to get this guy, but I see they already had him once. TNA loves hotshotting titles to people very soon, so this guy isn't a bad one to do that with.

He claims to not be interested in going back, though we know how iffy that is. The biggest obstacle with Cage going back is the fact that he's very open about his roid use. WWE's Wellness Policy isn't the strongest thing in the world, but I'm pretty sure Cage couldn't pass a test there at the moment. So unless he gets off the stuff, a return is off the table (and that's without considering his LU contract, which keeps him from going to WWE anyway).

The Brain
    Cage is a great pickup for Impact, which they desperately need after their recent losses. He probably won't draw new viewers all by himself but he's a good talent for keeping viewers watching once they give it a try.