Thread: Kenny Omega

Kenny Omega

After WK12 quite frankly I'm in awe of this guy and feel like he should get his own thread (nearly all the WWE guys do on that part of the forum).

There is lots to talk about but first question, has anyone ever had a better year than he did between WK11 & WK12? Between the quality of the matches to how he has been the tip of the spear of NJPW's foray into the West, obviously this has been built off the back of a number of programs but Omega is becoming a superstar in the west in a way I can't remember anyone doing outside of the WWE since WCW was around.

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Hard to argue against the quality of matches that Omega put on this year against Okada, Naito and Jericho. He seems to really want to be the guy leading the company's expansion overseas. I'm sure that played a big part of his decision to extend his NJPW contract, which he apparently has done. But he had large stretches of time this year where he did little of note.

He didn't do much between Wrestle Kingdom 11 and Dominion, losing in the first round of the New Japan Cup. His summer was great, between the 60-minute classic with Okada, winning the U.S. championship tournament and having another great G1 Climax. But it died down again after that. While he did have some solid bouts with Juice and Barreta, those were kind of side notes during the last couple of months until the shock of him facing Jericho. It was kind of spotty for him throughout the year.

I'd argue that the fact that Okada held on to the IWGP Heavyweight championship for the whole year and had some amazing title defenses year round would put him above Omega's year.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    After WK12 quite frankly I'm in awe of this guy and feel like he should get his own thread (nearly all the WWE guys do on that part of the forum).

There is lots to talk about but first question, has anyone ever had a better year than he did between WK11 & WK12? Between the quality of the matches to how he has been the tip of the spear of NJPW's foray into the West, obviously this has been built off the back of a number of programs but Omega is becoming a superstar in the west in a way I can't remember anyone doing outside of the WWE since WCW was around.
    Okada's year was better in my view, significantly and way above better, but that is by no means a knock on Omega, he was fantastic as well. Some have compared Okada's year to Flair's 89' run - which is widely regarded by many to be one of the greatest years for any wrestler ever, and while I'm not sure if I agree, it's certainly debatable. That alone, tells you a lot about Okada.

Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    Okada's year was better in my view, significantly and way above better, but that is by no means a knock on Omega, he was fantastic as well. Some have compared Okada's year to Flair's 89' run - which is widely regarded by many to be one of the greatest years for any wrestler ever, and while I'm not sure if I agree, it's certainly debatable. That alone, tells you a lot about Okada.
    That isn't the first time I've seen these kind of lines bandied about.

I guess for me Omega has become the focal point of my new fandom. When I got into the WWE that guy was Batista so I think I may have picked a slightly better horse this time.

I'm assuming this Jericho thing was a once off and it looks like Jay White is next but interested in how he will fit into the Cody/Ibushi program, some interesting lines of conflict being drawn up there.

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel