Thread: CF Tournament Winners

CF Tournament Winners

OK guys I am slowly piecing together a history of CF Tournament winners to continue the acknowledging of the best of the best we have been doing with things like the full COTM list and the EOY awards. This list may take a little bit of time to compile and may miss the odd tournament but as I find results I will add them in.

King of the Columnists I: Double Helix

King of the Columnists II: Your Ayatollah (Steve)

King of the Columnists III: Morpheus

Extreme Column Writing: Zuma
    King of the Columnists IV: Zuma

Columns Forum Invitational: Anthrax?

Column Series Invitational: Mazza
    UK vs US: UK

Column Series Invitational: Mavsman
    King of the Columns VI: Priest

Davey Boy Cup: Priest
    Mazlining: da_shee

UK vs US: UK
    Column Series Invitational: Prime Time

nXt: freeman
    Davey Boy Cup: Oliver

The Voice: Leaf
    LOP Grand Prix: Cult Icon
    PEN15 Mightier Invitational: Mizfan

LOP Grand Prix: JacobWrestledGod

Columns Forum Classic: Degenerate
    Davey Boy Cup: JCool

Columns Forum Classic: Oliver

Years Unknown:
    King of the Columnists V: Jules
    Extreme Column Writing: ???
    Extreme Column Writing: Xanman
    LOPNXT: Stinger
    Last edited by Prime Time; 01-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.

A couple that I can remember off the top of my head that you can add to your list:

ECW 3 (I remember it being in the later half of 2006, but it could be 2007. Prime posted Degenerate’s column from it in the Retro thread so he might have a date for it) was won by Xanman over me (after I flaked in submitting my final column on time)

CSI 2012 was won by Prime Time over Plan

I might remember a couple of others at some point. If I do, I’ll add them here.

mizfan won a tournament at some point if memory serves correctly. Might've been the Pen Invitational. I think he beat Mazza in the finals.

Squared
    I think there was a CFI before there was a CSI....

Speaking of which what happened to Pen1s?
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

Ah 2013, the year I came third in NXT AND second in the Davey Boy Cup. I think someone was trying to book me to be 1998 Mankind or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I think there was a CFI before there was a CSI....
    There was indeed. That tournament was what got me writing back in 2008. If I remember correctly, I think I lost to Anthrax in one semifinal, CoLd and someone else were in another semifinal, and Anthrax won the whole thing. And I seem to remember that being the first edition of the CFI, but I could be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Ah 2013, the year I came third in NXT AND second in the Davey Boy Cup. I think someone was trying to book me to be 1998 Mankind or something.
    The remarkable thing about that DBC is I think, come the final, we were both unbelievably busy - yourself with work and me because I'd just had a baby. I wrote all three of my final columns between the hours of 9pm and midnight with a newborn either in a sling on my front or lying on top of me asleep.

I remember really hating the last column I wrote for the final. Had quite literally run out of ideas! That was a fun tourney though.

I beat Mizfan for something, just don't remember what

Squared
    Was Columania a contest in the traditional sense? That was 2013 if so.

There was also a Columns Cup in 2006 too, as I recall, which I think Dandy might remember better as he's probably the only person still around who was part of it.

Wasn't Columania 2013 ultimately cancelled? I know there were a bunch of individual competitions scheduled, but less than half of the columns were posted and I don't think there was ever a vote for winners of each competition. Was a real bummer, too. Danno, Mav, Oli and I were set for a Fatal Fourway (and I think we all actually posted, too), but I don't believe anything final ever came of it.

Samuel Plan
    It might have been, ya know. I recall feeling frustrated because I had coaxed Degen out of his then retirement for the purpose of having a write off with him.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    It sounds plausible, I found something relating to a match between 'Plan and Deg but nothing about a final result.

King of the Columnists IV was 2006. I don't know if that was Zuma's win, but I suspect it was. King of the Columnists V was run a few months later, in July of the same year. I don't know who thought that was a good idea.

Degenerate also took part in the Columns Cup, on a team with Big Brother and Canadian Kid, so maybe he can shed some light on all that too. Sounds like they reached the final, against a team led by Wevv Mang?

Quote Originally Posted by eldandy View Post
    ECW 3 (I remember it being in the later half of 2006, but it could be 2007. Prime posted Degenerate’s column from it in the Retro thread so he might have a date for it) was won by Xanman over me (after I flaked in submitting my final column on time)

I've found this - it looks like the final was December 2006.

I did run a Columania in 2015 (I think it was then) but the one you are talking about was Hustle's one I believe. I didn't count that as a tournament as it was just one off matches.

Yeah, the Columania in '13 was aborted around the time of Wrestlemania XXIX, some of us had posted but no results happened.

The one in '15 did happen, Shinobi won the Pond fatal 4 way, the swine!

Samuel Plan
    I hate that guy!
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    There was a CF Wargames in 2007, and there's a possibility that there was an ECW 4....

Glad to hear no grudges are being harboured...

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzorf View Post

Years Unknown:

LOPNXT: Stinger

Last one for tonight before I get off my laptop. I haven't found too much on this but found the 'It's Coming' thread that Steve put up, which is in late 2010. But I guess that means the actual tournament probably ran in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Was Columania a contest in the traditional sense? That was 2013 if so.

There was also a Columns Cup in 2006 too, as I recall, which I think Dandy might remember better as he's probably the only person still around who was part of it.
    There were a lot of competitions around here in 2006. I think the thought process at the time was that it was bringing out a slew of new writers particularly after a lot of the older guard were called up to the main page. The first ECW was in full swing when I began writing here and that was shortly after Morpheus made his MP debut. Zuma won KOTC IV and the first ECW in a short time frame, although KOTC wasn’t a competition so much as a popularity contest/bracket that was voted on by readers based on a writers breadth of work, which might explain why it happened fairly frequently back then. Zuma cleaned up a lot back them. He was at a level few could hope to match at that time. Jules won KOTC V over Degenerate I believe. It was in July of that year as well.

The Columns Cup was a bit of a mess as I remember it. I don’t even think I participated as I was still fairly new here and it was fresh in the heals of ECW. The best thing to come out of it was arguably Degenerate and Big Brother’s BaD collaboration series, which sought to compete with Doublehelix and Xanman’s Excuse the Agrivation series (a brilliant, albeit blatant clone of Espn’s Pardon the Interruption).

Over the summer, Zuma, Big Brother and RIPBossman were all called up to the MP, and it was pretty much Degenerate, Jules and I pumping out the majority of the content, apart from a brilliant series by BenBeech called Why I Watch, which won COTM in July of 2006. Degenerate was posting columns every couple of days and I believe that was the impetus for the 4 day rule after he posted something like 12 columns in a month. They were all great and he really came into his own over the summer. We even dubbed him the Column Writing Machine (a play on Kurt Angle’s Wrestling Machine that he was using around that time). He also had a really cool sig created with Angle celebrating but it was black and neon green. I wonder if he still has it lying around...

Anyways, things got a little slow around here as the fall rolled around. I took a couple of weeks off to get married and although Leviathan came back and made a huge splash, apart from that it was kinda quiet. ECW 2 (I thought it was 3, but I’m pretty sure I was wrong) was brought in to drum up some activity before the usual Rumble deluge. Lots of MP writers came back to compete and it was a hit. I made the finals against Xanman, but failed to submit my final column on time after my grandmother broke her neck and I had to take care of real life. He allowed me to submit it late and the vote took place (which he won) but my heart wasn’t into it at that point. One of my biggest regrets was not giving my all in that last column because I was really on a roll at that time. I think it was around that time that Steve also returned and I remember thinking “Oh shit, he’s really good...”

The new year came around and 5-6 of us were called up to the Main Page including Degenerate, myself, Jules, Al Boo Boo and... I’m blanking on who else... I wrote on the MP until the Benoit incident at which point I became disillusioned and depressed (my wife and I had just found out we were expecting our first child and the details of the entire story made me sick to my stomach) and I barely watched any wrestling until Edge’s retirement, at which point I decided to get back into writing.

That’s pretty much a brief history of eldandy: the early years. The memory started working and I figured I’d get as much out as I could for posterity. Congratulations if you read the whole thing! Now, if only I could put this kind of effort into my CSI qualifier...

Edit: Shit, maybe it was ECW II in the spring and ECW III in the fall. Just checked the thread for that so it checks out. I couldn’t tell you who won the first one unfortunately. I don’t even know who could.

And that fucking board reset in August of 2006...
    Last edited by eldandy; 01-17-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by eldandy View Post

. ECW 2 (I thought it was 3, but I’m pretty sure I was wrong) was brought in to drum up some activity before the usual Rumble deluge. Lots of MP writers came back to compete and it was a hit. I made the finals against Xanman, but failed to submit my final column on time after my grandmother broke her neck and I had to take care of real life. He allowed me to submit it late and the vote took place (which he won) but my heart wasn’t into it at that point. One of my biggest regrets was not giving my all in that last column because I was really on a roll at that time.

Edit: Shit, maybe it was ECW II in the spring and ECW III in the fall. Just checked the thread for that so it checks out. I couldn’t tell you who won the first one unfortunately. I don’t even know who could.
    Yeah, I get the impression that Zuma wins the second one, and the one you're talking about here is the third. There's definitely some reference to Zuma's being the second in the original threads.

Great work though, some really good details there.

Does anyone know if there was more than one CFI - because we've got two potential winners in Anthrax and Degenerate? My guess is that they'd have to be in 2007 and 2008, if there was more than one, and wrapped up before CSI became the thing.