Thread: Tipping culture

Hybrid View

Squared

Tipping culture

It's one of the big differences between the UK and the US. We tip here, but it's nowhere near as important or widespread, and it is pretty much never where people actually make the money that they live on. So I am interested in the specifics.

How much do you tip for various things, like meals or drinks? What about other things? Does it differ between American regions? Or is it more in the city or in rural areas?

And how about those posters from other parts of the world - what is it like where you are?

People who get tips usually make below the minimum wage in the States, which is why it is so important. For meals usually 20 percent is the standard these days across the nation I'd say. Some restaurants in the States have started to do away with tipping and pay minimum wage or higher, but it's still rare.

Do we tip here, Prime?? I don't believe I've ever tipped someone in the UK. As someone with an overabundance of the neuroses that often comes with being a Brit, I tipped possibly too much when I went to the US recently, for fear of seeming like a foreigner that doesn't know what he's doing, even if the person gave me what I feel was less-than-decent service! But in the UK? I really didn't think tipping was a thing.

Squared
    Yeah, it is. Certain people get tipped anyway. Barbers/hairdressers, taxi drivers, waiting staff in nicer restaurants, probably a few other places that escape me right now.

But it's a lot less than 20% on the average. As often as not it's a 'keep the change' deal. I think we say we tend to tip closer to 12% and actually do more like 8% in practice.

Tipping for haircuts depends on who is doing it and how attractive they are. On average if it's $15, I'd give a $20 and tell them to keep the change. I can't remember last time a dude cut my hair.

We tip here, but ain't nothing like America. In saying that, the minimum someone gets paid at my work is $21 an hour and change. We earn well enough here where tipping isn't a necessity. In saying that, I have an older lady who works in my restaurant and when you have 3/4 rostered on they get allocated specific sections. We have certain customers who come in and will always tip. The unwritten rule here is that if you get tipped you share it with everyone else who is rostered on. But this one lady would deliberately go out of her section to serve customers in another section because she knew they would tip. And she would pocket the tip down her bra for herself and not share it. Would even serve a really nice old couple who come in every Saturday and Monday night when she isn't allocated them and then when they were getting ready to leave and pay the bill literally stick her hand out expecting and waiting for a tip. That completely rubbed me the wrong way and I had to tell her if I ever saw her do that or am told she's taking other people's tips again she wouldn't be on the roster going forward. If you don't want to share you tips with everyone else, so be it. I get that thinking. But she was really lucky I didn't see her that night or she would have been let go on the spot. We're there to give the customers a service not work for tips.

In saying that, I don't tip unless I'm going somewhere fancy for dinner. And even then I only tip if they give me a service I'm not expecting and go out of their way to give me a great service. Last time I tipped I ended up giving the waitress a $90 tip as they stuffed both mine and my Mrs steaks up twice and then she gave us free desserts and took the steaks off the bill. So I gave her the $90 for the steaks for all the trouble she went to of trying to fix everything. Was lucky enough as it is that I didn't walk out but I've never gone back there since lol. I have no problem with tipping it's just rare that an occurrence happens for me to. Even being to the states twice I tipped every time I got a taxi somewhere as its ridiculous cheap and don't know how they make a living if they didn't get tipped but when I went out to eat I didn't tip. But it was more to do with like the lady from work. They rely on tips and work for them. But I found them to be very overbearing and it was off putting. You could tell they were trying to get a tip out of you more so than just trying to give you a service and make sure everything was fine. I felt bad for not tipping but I just couldn't.

There's zero tipping in Japan, and I actually dig that a lot. They actually get offended if you try to tip here - to them, it means that they did a poor job or that you're insinuating that they're not making enough money and need a handout.

In the U.S., it's just as already mentioned. I would usually tip 20% at restaurants if the service was at least decent and the staff wasn't rude. Even if the service was poor or someone was directly in a piss-poor mood towards me, I would still leave 15% but would never go to that place again. In places with tip jars I would just leave a dollar or two, especially if I was a repeat customer - in a lot of places they would notice and often give me extra stuff for free. The place I would get my haircut was $15, and I would always give them a $20 and tell them to keep the change. I rarely took taxis, but the few times I did I would leave about 15% since it was already pricey as it was. Services like Uber and Lyft didn't require that as far as I can tell, but I never got around to doing that.

One of the only places I never tipped because I didn't get it was at a few supermarkets where the employee would bag my groceries. For some reason that just felt off to me, so I would just take my own bags to the supermarket and as soon as the cashier was ringing me up I would step in and say "Thanks, but I got this" and would bag my own stuff.

I tip 10% unless it's great service or its a bar I go to frequently and the bartender knows me.

People who regularly tip 20% and above must have some kind of social anxiety disorder, or else they have too much money.

If I'm getting a haircut and it takes her 15 Minutes to cut my hair, I dont feel the need to tip 1/3 of the haircut price. If the haircut is rather expensive , say $20-25 I don't tip.

Quote Originally Posted by GNR711 View Post
    People who regularly tip 20% and above must have some kind of social anxiety disorder, or else they have too much money.
    I don't have neither.

I tipped the way I did simply because it's kinda crappy that a lot of these people get paid under minimum wage and it was something I could do to make their shift a bit better. Of course it's not my fault that they get paid so little for a mostly thankless service job that they sought for whatever reason, but I never look at things that way in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    I don't have neither.

I tipped the way I did simply because it's kinda crappy that a lot of these people get paid under minimum wage and it was something I could do to make their shift a bit better. Of course it's not my fault that they get paid so little for a mostly thankless service job that they sought for whatever reason, but I never look at things that way in any case.
    Why is bartending a thankless job ? Bartenders, & Waiters make alot of money, they probably earn more than Joe 6 pack who they are serving, and they choose this job just because they want lots of tip money. A decent hair stylist will make good money too.

Your average smuck who inspects fire alarms all day for $12 an hour has a thankless job, they don't get tip's, even though the service they provide saves lives.

Neither does the guy who digs graves all day for minimum wage, then saddles up to the bar for a couple beers & is guilt tripped into paying 20-30-40% tip because others feel bad for the poor bar tender.

I started tipping less to uber drivers and the cocksuckers lowered my rating.

I often tip taxi drivers, mostly for two reasons - if I get a taxi it's normally at anti-social hours (early morning, late at night) and most commonly it's for work so I don't really end up footing the bill. I'll often round it up to the nearest 5, so a 47 bill becomes 50, for example.

Other than that, I might turn out my silver/gold after a meal if the service has been particularly good/friendly. I doubt I give more than 10%. I'll sometimes let people keep the change on things, barbers and the like (although I no longer go to the barber as I just shave my own head...) but not all that often.