Thread: Spinning Out of Control: A Closed Door of Destiny

Spinning Out of Control: A Closed Door of Destiny

Spinning Out of Control: A Closed Door of Destiny

The wait is over, the day has come, I’ve given my all and it’s out of my hands. For one whole year I’ve worked to exhaustion, I’ve suffered through some terrible times, I’ve laid it all on the line for a chance to be handed the ball and prove that I can carry us into the new age of wrestling. The biggest show of the year is only weeks away and behind that closed door my future is being discussed and decided. Will be work be worth it or will I be just another world class worker who couldn’t grab that brass ring. I’ve scratched, I’ve clawed and I now I can only hope. To be this helpless is the scariest moment of my life. It could be two minutes or two hours but when the door opens a year’s work will be summed up in a few words.

While I sit here waiting I can only reminisce about the year that was and the events that will shape my life forever. I all began the day after last year’s big dance. I was brought into the same room that I now wait outside and told that I needed to shape up or ship out. I was told that they had allowed me to skate by for years and that this was it for me. I had one year to prove I could be a headliner and carry the company on my shoulders. If I couldn’t succeed than I would be sent back to the high school gyms and bingo halls, where I could work my ass off nightly to the enjoyment of ten people. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my time on the “indies” but I got into this business to be the top star of the top promotion. So, on that day I vowed to make sure the decision was a no brainer. I wasn’t just going to grab the brass ring, I was going to rip it down, gold plate it and engrave my name in it. This was my year and nothing would stop me from being the best.

For the next few months I worked hard in opening matches, dark matches and losing efforts to the stars. Every night I went to the ring with the goal of stealing the show and showing the main eventers that they needed to step up or move aside because I was coming through. There are no words to describe the feeling I felt when I went back through the curtain at the end of the summer and was told they were giving me a championship. It wasn’t the big one but it added more fuel to my fire. It showed me that they had noticed my work, they saw my ability and they trusted me. Sadly, as with every rise in my life, the fall came much too soon. Two months later I was told that it wasn’t working and they were having me drop the title to the talentless muscle head who was the pet project of our formerly brilliant promoter. As if this wasn’t bad enough, I was left off tv for the next three weeks because they just had nothing for me. What? How can that be? Nothing for the person who has been consistently stealing the show night after night. This is wrestling, so shouldn’t the best wrestler be rewarded and praised? My time was coming up and I had to act fast.

It was then that I decided a character change was in order so I pitched a massive turn from what I had been known for. If I was going down it was going to be kicking and screaming. I embraced aspects of my personality that I didn’t even know I had and I promoted myself and my feuds with more gusto than I knew was possible. To the surprise of everyone, including myself, it worked. The crowds began to chant my name, they began to engulf me with love and they began to shower me with the admiration that I yearned for my entire career. I had finally made it to the upper echelon. I was stealing the show and getting the biggest crowd reaction of most nights. The company had to take notice now. For the first time, I felt secure in my positioning and I felt that maybe I would finally get my chance to shine.

Unlike others I did not become complacent with my spot. When I reached main event status I didn’t rest on my laurels and coast through the matches. I still went out and dominated the attention of the audience. When they left every night, it was my match they remembered. With three months to go the promoters called me and told I had an important meeting to attend. My heart skipped many beats that day and my stress levels reached levels that scared my fiancÚ. What would they tell me? Was my time up? Had I failed to do what they asked? Was my hard work not enough? Had my show stealing matches failed to show my worth? For three hours I sat in fear, once again outside this very door. When I entered it was like being in a different world. I was at the mercy of these men, many who had never stepped foot in the ring where I spilled gallons of blood, sweat and tears. What came next shook me to my core and gave me the hope I needed to continue. I was going to be given a major opportunity. Something that a select few before me had been given. It was my chance to show that I was capable of being the star and it also guaranteed me the main event at the show of shows. There was a lot of work to be done but finally it seemed I had moved in the right direction.

For the last two months, I’ve continued to grow my new character and develop more skills inside the ring. I wanted to make sure that there was only one option for who should be the champion. I had proven that my will was bigger than all those who came before me and all those who were pushed in front of me. No matter what I did the crowd ate it up, the promoters praised me and yet, the boss seemed hesitant. It was like no matter what I did, he just couldn’t see my worth. I had to hope that crowd opinion and promoter support was enough. I needed to believe, for my own sanity, that he was still smart enough to trust those around him and to listen to the viewers that he depended on to make his money.

With my year having flashed before my eyes I can still only sit, and wait, and hope. I can pray to a god I may or may not believe in. I can text those that love me and get their kind words of support. I can talk to fellow wrestlers as they walk by and be reassured of my skills and how worthy I am of the push. No matter what I do, who I pray to and who I talk to, no one can help. It’s in the hands of the boss behind the door and no one else. Though I wish to believe that skill, crowd reaction and backstage support is what matters, the truth is that this is a dictatorship and he rules all.

The door suddenly opens, the moment is now. My year, my life has all led up to this moment. A lifetime of sacrifice and a year of pain will be verified or dismissed in only a few words. My heart is beating so fast and my world is in a fog. What will they say? Is the big show the beginning or the end?

As I walk to the car with tears in my eyes and a pain in my chest I try to digest the words that have been said to me. The words that will change my life forever. In two weeks, I compete in the main event of the granddaddy and when the show ends the hand of our bosses’ pet project will be raised. Once again, he will get the title I worked my life for, but this time he will wear gold while the only color I will see is pink. The cruel cloud of truth has engulfed me. I worked in a business where being the best is not enough, being the crowd favorite is not enough and being supported by my peers and promoters is not enough. I worked in a world where one man holds the power to change lives. My life destroyed by the decision of one man behind a closed door.

Dude, what happened to the Disney ending? This was brutal.

You did paint a very vivid picture of someone who has every right to be bitter at what is happening, I can't tell if you based it off someone though.

They did rise to the top very fast but I guess sometimes that just means an equally fast fall.

I do really like the symmetry of the piece with him being outside the same set of doors he sat in front of a year earlier.

I think my favourite bit was this:

With my year having flashed before my eyes I can still only sit, and wait, and hope. I can pray to a god I may or may not believe in. I can text those that love me and get their kind words of support. I can talk to fellow wrestlers as they walk by and be reassured of my skills and how worthy I am of the push. No matter what I do, who I pray to and who I talk to, no one can help. It’s in the hands of the boss behind the door and no one else. Though I wish to believe that skill, crowd reaction and backstage support is what matters, the truth is that this is a dictatorship and he rules all.
    This felt the most human of the whole piece, we have all been there, all felt that way at different times.

Anyway, love the creative piece, shame you didn't get a chance to jump in on the ABC but really nice little piece here anyway.

P.S. Do you always write your solo columns in comic sans? If so that needs to change man.

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    I really enjoyed this Spin, if enjoyed is the right word. I like that it could work for a large number of people. It rings true in spirit, if not specifically for one person (at least not as far as I can tell). Wrestling is a business where hard work pays off, but not always at the very top level. Then again, there's something to be said for those who are happy just to compete at the top level and don't need to be handed the title or have the ultimate "moment" in order to be happy and satisfied with their career. I know that a deep love of the wrestling business is highly prized these days by fans, but if a wrestler worships wrestling to this degree I think they are begging for trouble down the line. It is possible to love too much, you know? Great piece, got me thinking.

Samuel Plan
    Lots to like here. Short, plucky sentencing kept it moving nicely. You avoided the trap I see so many writers fall into with creative writing and kept it simple. The real master stroke was in keeping it undefined. It could be absolutely anyone in any promotion (though the implication was heavily that it was WWE) at any point in time over the last few years. I think it was even gender free for the most part? Had you taken out contemporary references like texting, it could have even expanded to being anyone at anytime, and then it really gets deep.

It's just a personal opinion, both as a reader and a writer, but I find that the cardinal sin in creative writing is to deny the reader the opportunity to discover at the exact same moment as the characters; in this case, the narrator. It's much more immersive to know what they know at the same point they know it, than for them to describe past events to me. It's a bit like the difference between someone describing a play to you and you watching the play for yourself, I guess. It's why flashbacks often work well. You could have tied flashbacks to the refrain of the familiar doors to build a picture of the narrator's past in snippets as the tension built. It would've helped make the transition into the closing paragraph a little smoother too.

Just some food for thought on methodology really. I thought there was a lot to like about this, and it was an accomplished piece of writing that spoke to the brutal and unforgiving meat market that pro wrestling is, with enough room left for the reader to interpret to really elevate it a level. It's often easy to forget that small, seemingly inconsequential shifts in the product could have a massive impact on the mentality or health - physical and mental - of our favourite stars. Writing like this is an infrequent but necessary reminder to those few of us who dwell in the IWC that everything matters to somebody, and that empathy as much of a necessity for the fan as enjoyment.

Well done mate. Keep it up.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

SirSam- Thanks for the read man. I could have jumped in on ABC but at the time I was going through some stuff and needed a little break from life. Back now and I'm going strong again. However, I don't write a lot of solo columns anyways. I'm a collab whore. Also, LONG LIVE COMIC SANS!!!!

Mizzie- That's what I want to hear. Anytime I do write something I want it to get, even one person thinking. I love the fun stuff but my solo columns are always created based on what inspires me. I don't pre-plan. I have a sudden moment of clarity and out comes a column. So I'm happy that anyone is able to get that thought process from this.

Plan- Those are some very kind words Plan and I appreciate it a lot. Whenever someone enjoys something you're proud of it's a great feeling, so thank you for that. Hopefully when I write again it will be able to surpass this level and build upon my writing. As for the flashback comment I understand fully what you are saying but I made the decision for a reason. I felt that a column about desire and love that goes to deep would be better if explained through the characters eyes. I wanted to have his pain clear in the words and dive in with this unreliable narrator. What he experienced is only seen through his memories which allows a bit of interpretation with his believably and memory as well.

I think Plan nail it on the head, that little bit of empathy goes a long way. Enjoyed the column, good job
    And Jacob wrestled with God.