Thread: Reading Challenges

Squared

Reading Challenges

I was just wondering if anyone has ever done a reading challenge, like the one on Goodreads for example?

First one was last year. I set it pretty high, basically like a book a week (not quite, but near enough). Just about managed it with a few days to spare, but that was slightly padded out with a few plays which don't usually take very long at all. I quite like them as a way of freshening up after reading something different, though, because you don't have to make quite the same commitment.

I've decided to go for it again this time around but have set it a lot lower, basically just over a book every couple of weeks, because I've got a handful of quite fat things I want to try and fit in this year and each of them might take me a month at a time. I've got a couple of shorter novels in the bank this year already, so am racing ahead of the target, but that'll draw back in once I get to something with six or seven hundred pages in it.

Anyway, enough about me - anyone else ever try something like this?

I don't exactly set reading challenges, but I do read every day if I get the chance. I read mostly fantasy and sci-fi which are usually long books, so the one book a week would be hard.

What I sometimes do, like I'm doing now, is pick an author and read a lot of their work. Like if a series is a 7 book effort or something.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook @rickyandclive, or listen to "The Ricky & Clive Wrestling Show", part of the Social Suplex Podcast Network

I'm trying to read more this year - I pick up a lot of comics, which are easy reads, but in terms of novels I don't really get much reading done unless I'm travelling and have a load of time on my hands as a result.

One of the main things I'm doing this year is conciously reading more books written by women. My wife picked up on it last year, but I've read a lot of male-penned literature and very little female-penned things. So I'm trying to rectify the balance. That's my challenge, more than a number of books - to go all year, if possible, only reading books written by women.

Well Mr Oliver, not sure what the forum rules are on this, but would I be allowed to recommend to you my wife's debut novel???

Disclosure - it's fantasy genre and is the first of an unfinished series.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook @rickyandclive, or listen to "The Ricky & Clive Wrestling Show", part of the Social Suplex Podcast Network

Squared
    Yeah, that's fine. The only rule that'd be in play here would be if you were here SOLELY to try and advertise stuff. As that's not your primary purpose and it is relevant to the subject at hand, I'm pretty sure you're golden.

Oli, if you do want more recommendations feel free to PM me.

Cool thanks. I'll be a bit cheeky and just leave the link right here. If anyone asks, you never saw me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashael-Risi.../dp/B01MRCASMU

Shout out to Karin Slaughter by the way. She does some pretty visceral crime thriller books.

Samuel Plan
    I'd love to read more, and try to find the time where I can. But I always keep slipping in and out, largely because of other stresses on my time. Reading a book a week sounds like an amazing idea but there's no way in hell I'd even accomplish it in week one! Well, unless I cheated and just kept picking, like, 100 pagers or something. Maybe I should try one but aim low; a book a month or something.

I love to read the fantasy and sci-fi stuff too, but rarely do for the reason Clive mentioned - they're so damn long.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Yep. Sci-fi, especially the Space Opera ones I prefer take up so much time. My reading is done on work commutes, lunch, and occasionally the evening. So manage to get some good sessions in.

Would love to read more, but between watching wrestling, podding, reading and writing columns, it's TOUGH.

Oh and being married with kids is a stress on time as well. Didn't mean to leave them till last. Ahem!

I challenge anyone to read Das Capital by Karl Marx.

Squared
    I did, once.

About volume, I have Insomnia a lot, and I tend to read in bed. So on bad nights I end up reading for several hours just to try and get to sleep.

Does mean if you get quick reads you can clear two books a week, and even tougher reads get cleared within a month.

Was it incredibly boring? I was interested in that kind of stuff when I was 16, but now I think it'd just put me to sleep. I had a book called Introduction to Marx and it was just a very simplified explanation. I've heard the real thing is heavy going.

Squared
    It's not boring, but it's incredibly difficult. Very wordy and some difficult concepts. But exactly how difficult will depend on your translation.