View Poll Results: What was the best TV show of 2000-2009?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Wire

2 15.38%
  • Mad Men

0 0%
  • Breaking Bad

6 46.15%
  • Arrested Development

0 0%
  • Deadwood

1 7.69%
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm

0 0%
  • The Office (US)

0 0%
  • 30 Rock

0 0%
  • Dexter

0 0%
  • Other

4 30.77%

Thread: Best TV show of the 2000s

Hybrid View

Squared

Best TV show of the 2000s

I'm curious as to what people think was the best TV show of the first decade of the millennium. So I thought I'd start a poll. The options here are the first ones that come up with a google search, and are not really steers from me. So feel free to make good use of the 'other' option, if you prefer to nominate something I haven't listed. Shows that just missed off the poll, for your consideration, are Sons of Anarchy, Veronica Mars, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights, The Shield, HIMYM, and Firefly.

For the sake of this thread, a 2000s show is one that STARTS between 2000 and December 31st, 2009. So things like The Sopranos, The West Wing, Buffy and South Park would all be 1990s shows that ran into this decade and wouldn't count, but things like Parks and Rec, The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family would all count.

OK, get to voting - and if you do click other, be sure to post and let us know what show you're thinking about.

I'll go with How I Met Your Mother. Not because it was the most dramatic or most finely produced but because I kept coming back to it year after year with my girlfriend and eventually my wife.

We cried, we laughed, we even just used to put it on in the background when we were doing uni assignments because it was good but we were so familiar with it that it wasn't a distraction. I honestly I cannot to think of those earlier years of our relationship without How I Met Your Mother being a part of it.

I loved the characters, you really felt like you knew them and I think the writing was underrated. They did some really fun things with some of the episodes, particularly in the early seasons.

Sure it probably went 2 or 3 seasons too long and they really screwed up the final season but personally no other show was more enjoyable for me than it.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-08-2018 at 08:56 AM.

I see on Twitter all the time people saying The Big Bang Theory is the most overrated show of all time. But it get's a laugh out of me. Not saying it's a great show but it get's a laugh. How I Met Your Mother though? Man I detest that show. I could never get into it and never laughed once. I don't know what it was about the show but even if it was on TV and the Mrs was watching it I'd go do something so I didn't have to hear it. You're clearly a big fan, Sam. What do you reckon it is about the show that I just don't like?

My vote is obviously for Breaking Bad. Had Friends of started in the 2000's it may have been a tough choice to split. But easy vote for me.

The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, The Office, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter (through season 4), Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Lost, and 24. All shows I highly enjoyed watching. If I had to pick one, I'd go Lost.

I know you said Sopranos doesn't county but it's got to be up there anyway. It ran from 1999-2007, almost the entire decade.

Squared
    Yeah I don't disagree with you. But you have to make a decision about this sort of thing and it seems as good a rule as any.

Breaking Bad running away with it so far. Only seen a few episodes of it so I don't have a lot to add to that.

Like Sam, I enjoyed HIMYM a lot. For a sitcom there's a lot of clever, well written episodes in the whole run.

Samuel Plan
    I can't see the poll right now as I'm on the mobile, but the answer is Deadwood. I can only anticipate someone not saying Deadwood because they've never seen an episode of Deadwood.

Comfortably a top five show of all time for me, I think it's bloody fantastic. That they're finally doing a film makes me elated. The acting, story, writing, dialogue, production design and value; everything about it is incredible.

Big fan of Breaking Bad - BIG fan - but the answer, by some distance, is Deadwood! Go check it out if you never have. Though I hope you don't mind swearing. There's a LOT of swearing.

"Welcome to fucking Deadwood!"

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, The Office, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter (through season 4), Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Lost, and 24. All shows I highly enjoyed watching. If I had to pick one, I'd go Lost.

I know you said Sopranos doesn't county but it's got to be up there anyway. It ran from 1999-2007, almost the entire decade.
    Lost and 24 immediately came to my mind too. And Id pick Lost too. Nothing has ever absorbed me as much as the first season of Lost.

Love seeing another Lost fan. Two for Lost! I know the writers wrote themselves into a corner for those later seasons but the characters were so strong. Wasn't even a fan of the explanation at the end but I still got choked up several times on the finale because of the character connections.

Samuel Plan
    I loved everything about Lost. Including the ending! I liked there was still some mystery there too.

Other than breaking bad I haven't seen anything from the options given so if not for the other category that is where I would have voted.

So my vote for others goes to Lost, just beating out The 4400 and Secret Diary of a Call Girl

Squared
    So as it stands the score is

Breaking Bad 5
    Lost 3
    HIMYM 1
    The Wire 1
    and when 'Plan bothers to vote for it, Deadwood 1!

Gotta jump on the "hold up, Sopranos surely has to count" train. I've gone for the Wire with you sticking to that but really it's second.

EDIT: I've totally changed my mind. The answer is The Inbetweeners.
    Last edited by Mazza; 01-09-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Squared
    Well if this goes OK The Sopranos will be on the 1990s one and you can vote for it there if you want to....

Y'know, you've gotta make a call, and it occurred to me that a) the first date of broadcast is a nice, clean, incontrovertible line, and b) if the show was conceived, pitched, cast, etc before it ever hits the air it has to be at least as much a product of the 1990s as of the 2000s.

I admit it does throw up some weird results. Like, The Simpsons becomes a 1980s show.... but for a bit of fun I can live with it.

I mean, there's an argument that you can have it in both, but honestly I think this allows us to talk about more shows. Not least because we're still talking about the Sopranos!

Well seeing as I got through only the first 30 minutes after Sammy talked it up I think Deadwood should start on -1 votes.

I really need to finish off The Sopranos. Only half way through season 4.

Squared
    I liked Deadwood, so you're putting me in the awkward position of agreeing with 'Plan again....

Difference between liking it and saying it's the best show of the 2000's...

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    Difference between liking it and saying it's the best show of the 2000's...
    There's a far, far bigger difference between liking it and only getting through half an hour though, clearly.

Lot of votes for Breaking Bad. Should probably try and start that up again, even though I'm not sure the concept is really going to appeal to me as much as some of the others.

Loved the idea of Lost, but by the time I got around to being in a position to see it I'd heard a lot of really bad things about the later seasons and I thought that I'm just not going to bother if it's only going to be a let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    There's a far, far bigger difference between liking it and only getting through half an hour though, clearly.

Lot of votes for Breaking Bad. Should probably try and start that up again, even though I'm not sure the concept is really going to appeal to me as much as some of the others.

Loved the idea of Lost, but by the time I got around to being in a position to see it I'd heard a lot of really bad things about the later seasons and I thought that I'm just not going to bother if it's only going to be a let down.
    Don't think a concept of a show has put me off of watching it. Always willing to give something a chance.

From a consistancy standpoint, Breaking bad is the best show on the poll. loved it from start to finish.

I try to say this without spoliing too much but Lost isn't about happy endings. I personally don't care for the later seasons but sometimes, thats where the show has gotten complaints especially for the finale. Its mostly about the relationships you watch along the way. It was also very innovative for its time.

Squared
    Yes, that's exactly what appeals to me about it. But I dunno, sorta feel I missed the boat and there's not a lot of point now. It feels more of a 'you had to be there' than most shows.

I’ve probably watched Lost 3-4 times from beginning to end on Netflix over the years (in addition to watching it when it aired) and would recommend it if you were looking for a show to watch. I wish I could erase my memory and watch season 1 over again. I think it was removed from Netflix on Jan. 1 though which is odd because it’s been on there for like 8 years.

Squared
    Oh no, you've misunderstood me Matt, I didn't mean it'd put me off watching it. But y'know, it might mean you only like something rather than love it. A fan of musicals is going to love La La Land more than someone who doesn't really like musicals, even if the latter person gives it a fair shake. I think the underlying idea of Breaking Bad will probably appeal to some people more than it does to me. That doesn't mean I didn't like the episodes I've watched, I thought they were very well done, it just probably means they'll always like it more than I will.

Comfortablynumb, I might just do that. Will probably have to get caught up on all the other stuff I have to watch first, but if it's still on our Netflix and I get chance, I might check it out. As I say, I always found the idea of it very interesting, and there's no denying it was quietly a bit of a revolution.

Samuel Plan
    You might like it more, watching so long after the fact. I get that there are fans who legitimately don't care much for later seasons, but I do also think there was a lot of fans who got swept up in the big debate about whether it was all planned from the start or not, which I feel distracted a lot of people from what mattered most - as mentioned above, the resolution of the relationships and character arcs that formed the core of the show.

It's also a fact that a lot of fans don't understand the actual ending; literally speaking.

Outside of that atmosphere, who knows how you might react!

Lost is still well worth a watch. The character work is great. Think it would be up your alley, Prime. I think the dip is far shorter than people tend to think it is. There's about half a season that is a bit of a struggle and then it picks back up again until the end that a lot of people didn't like.

Samuel Plan
    My god; I'm in agreement with Mazza on something....

Oddly enough watching the opening of The Red Turtle earlier got me really fancying picking Lost back up again myself. It's just finding the time to squeeze it in! Every time I've tried to get to around six episodes in and something comes up that derails me.

Plus, with news of a Deadwood movie filming as early as this summer doing the rounds I need to make sure I get that re-watched for the fourth time too!

Incidentally, it misses out on contention because it started in the late 1990s, but Oz is an outrageously excellent show as well.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    Turns out Lost isn't on our Netflix so it's kind of a moot point for me.